• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

‘Lawrence of Arabia’ Tops ASC’s List of 100 20th Century Cinematography Milestones

Nov 2, 2017
The top 10 I can mostly agree with. The list of '90's movies though....I don't know. I feel like the Cohen Bro's got robbed. Fargo is far more of a cinematographic milestone than Se7en or American Beauty. In fact, it seems like they have a real hard on for Kevin Spacey for whatever reason, but since that doesn't really pertain to cinematography, I'll try to look past it.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to have more knowledge of movies, since I missed out a lot of stuff that are considered classics or were popular at reléase time, but I don't know where to watch them legally while also not spending a big buck on discs
Unfortunately you juuuuust missed Filmstruck but Criterion is starting up their own streaming service very soon.

Oct 30, 2017
It's a fantastic film and is extremely slick looking. It really revolutionized how filmmakers and photographers viewed large format film. Apart from the technical aspects, it's also extremely artful, well composed and uses left to right movement to make the world feel expansive and adventurous.

I wish I could find a gif of the tracking shot of him walking along the derailed train above the cheering crowd. That shit is like a moving painting.
You know whats also crazy. Every 2nd take they had to move hundreds and hundreds of people back in place, and then sweep the desert for tracks.

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely agree with this. In college I decided to watch a bit of it to get some inspiration for an essay for my middle eastern history class.

Three hours later...

I couldn't stop watching it, it was just so gorgeous and engaging.

Great list, but I'm surprised Raiders of the Lost Ark is absent.
Having just watched this on Tuesday, I am curious, what about this movie did you feel made the cinematography top notch? When I watch Indy I don't even consider them "great" films but just fun pulpy time wasters.

Genuinely I am curious, maybe my perspective of the film blinds me from what you saw.

Edit: sorry for double post...

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I've seen all but a handful of films from the 100 list. I feel very lucky to have had the chance to see them and wish more could and should see them. Film is a language all its own and more need to understand this.

Ben Hur got jobbed. The story is a bit ridiculous, but from a cinematographic perspective, it's mind-blowing.
Ben-Hur would've deserved to be #1, but I don't see an issue with Lawrence being 1. If you break it down basically most of the huge 70mm films would've deserved a top 10 spot, even something animated like Disney's Sleeping Beauty. That format made (and still makes) films look so damn gorgeous.

Oct 27, 2017
Ben Hur got jobbed. The story is a bit ridiculous, but from a cinematographic perspective, it's mind-blowing.

Yeah, I have no idea how it's not on there. It's a stunning film.

Can't really complain about Lawrence being at the top though. I find the movie itself to be a bit plodding, but visually it's spectacular.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic film and is extremely slick looking. It really revolutionized how filmmakers and photographers viewed large format film. Apart from the technical aspects, it's also extremely artful, well composed and uses left to right movement to make the world feel expansive and adventurous.

I wish I could find a gif of the tracking shot of him walking along the derailed train above the cheering crowd. That shit is like a moving painting.
I love movies that use the frame and space like this. I guess I have to see this sooner than later

Oct 30, 2017
US
Ben-Hur would've deserved to be #1, but I don't see an issue with Lawrence being 1. If you break it down basically most of the huge 70mm films would've deserved a top 10 spot, even something animated like Disney's Sleeping Beauty. That format made (and still makes) films look so damn gorgeous.
Should have been clear: I don't necessarily think it should have been 1, but it should be on the milestones list.

Oct 27, 2017
Paris,Texas is on there. So is Wings of Desire. Which is why I give this list a passing grade.

Some odd choices though. Really baffles me how much people love American Beauty.
Huh, now I see it.

Yea. American beauty looked great, but it certainly wouldn't have made my top 100.

Would've loved to see Le Samouraï make the list. That film is gorgeous.

Nov 2, 2017
Thats a pretty strong list but with some strange omissions, Ben Hur and Paths of Glory are two that stand out to me. Also French Connection being in the top 10 is a curious choice, Seven Samurai, The Exorcist or Barry Lyndon are more deserving imo

The top 10 I can mostly agree with. The list of '90's movies though....I don't know. I feel like the Cohen Bro's got robbed. Fargo is far more of a cinematographic milestone than Se7en or American Beauty. In fact, it seems like they have a real hard on for Kevin Spacey for whatever reason, but since that doesn't really pertain to cinematography, I'll try to look past it.
No argument from me regarding American Beauty but Seven is absolutely a milestone in cinematography. The audio/visual design of that film reeks of dread and menace. The lighting and processing of that film were influential and received special mention in reviews.