DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021

View: https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1790369271568347270

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith" has been renewed for Season 2 at Amazon Prime Video.

However, sources say that Season 1 stars Donald Glover and Maya Erskine will not be returning to star in Season 2. Glover is still credited as a co-creator and executive producer on the series alongside Francesca Sloane, who will return as showrunner. In addition, Glover recently announced that he will go on a world tour as Childish Gambino beginning in August through February 2025.
Amazon declined to comment on whether or not Glover and Erskine would return. Reps for Glover and Erskine did not immediately respond to Variety's request for comment.
"We are excited to announce that a second season of our groundbreaking spy series, 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith,' is in the works for our global Prime Video customers," said Jennifer Salke, head of Amazon MGM Studios. "The success of the first season, with its incredibly modern, sexy reinvention of the original film, is a testament to the brilliant creators Donald Glover and Francesa Sloane. We are proud to bring you another season filled with unforgettable journeys and new adventures."
variety.com

‘Mr. and Mrs. Smith’ Renewed for Season 2 at Amazon, Donald Glover and Maya Erskine Not Returning

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith" has been renewed for Season 2 at Amazon Prime Video, but without Donald Glover and Maya Erskine
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Mr. & Mrs. Smith’ Renewed for Season 2 at Amazon

It's unclear if stars Donald Glover and Maya Erskine will return for another caper.

Please mark season 1 spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So new Smiths I guess. Too bad, I grew to like Glove and Erskine by the end. Was hoping for more.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Uh... That's bold. Like that show so completely hinges on their chemistry rather than whatever "the company" is doing.

And you could very well argue that their story is wrapped up, but... I dunno man, they were the reason to watch it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the show yet so I'm not sure how this works but just from the outside looking in that seems like an odd creative choice.

Jul 18, 2018
That's fine. I'm down following another couple and have the original couple intertwined in some way like what happened in S1. We can explore more relationship dynamics with different couples

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
An anthology isn't the worst idea for this but season one didn't really feel like a self contained thing. Felt like there was a room for both characters to grow.

OP
OP
DinkyDev

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Could be interesting if they cycle around 2-3 different couples each season, with Donald and Maya returning in season 3-4? And they could appear in each other's seasons as cameos.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to have to nail the casting on a new couple.

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
I KNEW this is the direction they would go.

Just make it an anthology. The show set that kind of storytelling up, anyway.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the two of them in the first season and really hope that they would return.

Mar 11, 2020
I mean, kinda sucks the name of the show forces them into heteronormative couples i feel like. But maybe i could be surprised. Feels like if they are doing this they should be exploring different couple types with the dynamic.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Anthology? How did season 1 end in that is everything largely wrapped up for the main pair?

PimentaGui

Jul 29, 2021
I can't believe they would rather continue without Glover than work around his schedule

What a stupid decision

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yes the show can and will probably work with an anthology approach rather than focusing on one Smith couple forever, but man they were fantastic. It's going to be hard to capture that again. Hope they can do something interesting and different for future seasons because I definitely don't want another season that does something similar.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The original cast had amazing chemistry, the show got kinda mid towards the finale.

Even with Glover and Erskine, i doubt i would've watched another season.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Nothing I love more than moving a series forward after it's had a conclusion, and even more so when you move it forward with a new cast because money.

May 10, 2018
I'm actually pretty ok with this. Depending on who is cast, the same way we grew attached to the original couple, we can do the same again.

The way the first season ended, this seemed like a likely next step.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I went from very excited to not excited so fast. The main thing that makes this show great is the chemistry between the two leads. I just don't know if I want to watch it without Donald Glover and Maya Erskine.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
I bet they aren't dead.

That said, S1 was pretty great and a lot of fun guest stars. Looking forward to a new couple!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Well that title is a rollercoaster.
Not sure if i like it. Because the chemistry between them was a huge part of it

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having watched the show I get why they can do this without the leads... but it doesn't mean I have to like it 😒

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
It could still be great with two more amazing actors in the roles, so I might be down to watch it for sure, why not?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Good, this was s great unique show. That said, if it's going to be an anthology it's going to be a interesting how they pursue the world-building they've only hinted at this season and has been just a backdrop for the leads in both the movie and the show (former being romcom, later being the unofficial sequel to HBO's infamously nihilistic relationship show 'Tell Me You Love Me'). Can't keep it with 'Follow this hot couple as they figure their relationship out' because it will get old fast.

LOL. Just had a thought, let Phoebe Waller Bridge do her version after she walked away for creative differences

Linkin112

Oct 25, 2017
Vernon Hills, IL
Should be noted that Variety is the only outlet saying definitively that they aren't returning. Everyone else is just saying the casting hasn't been announced yet. That announcement tweet from Amazon definitely makes it seem like it would be a continuation.

Hollywood Reporter says Amazon had to quickly make a decision on whether they'd do another season to determine which category they'd submit S1 under at the Emmys. Probably haven't nailed the contracts down yet with Donald and Maya. Childish Gambino tour is starting in August and going until February 2025, so Donald will be busy for a bit

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Not on board with this decision - it's like bringing Severance back for Season 2 without Adam Scott and Britt Lower.