• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
According to SuperData the game has lost more than half the active players once the free trial ended .

We heard so much about its sucess on the first month and 2 million active users when it launched and after expiry of the free trial we never really got any data.

https://www.inquisitr.com/4879378/s...en-the-xbox-game-pass-free-trial-expired/amp/

So how does this bode for other game-pass games?will it show a big number at the beginig for active users to only be dropped after free trial is over?

This whole game pass and game active users are a new thing and an interesting thing to keep track of.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves should be a perma guest on Game Pass, it would suit that model well.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Retaining however many players that they did with the issues the game has is impressive in itself.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's why using players numbers as a metric for success is a bad way when you have ways to boost them without gaining anything.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the game is quite light on content..so even without Game Pass i could see people not bothering anymore after a couple of weeks until there is more/new content.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
You can use the free trial only once, so all the people who used it for SoT won't be able to use it for SoD2. And I believe the trial is bound to credit card too, so it shouldn't be possibile to get it on a second blank Live account, unless using another card. Not sure about this, tho.

However retaining one million players isn't bad at all, no?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Monster hunter world...... a JRPG is more played than sea of thieves here in the states. The drop to me has been incredible. If these updates don't pan out with a good amount of stuff I see it falling even further. It's dropped to the 18th spot already in less than two months.

Please Rare deliver the goods!

And no cosmetic doesn't count. We want meat not the skins of it

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
According to SuperData the game has lost more than half the active players once the free trial ended .

We heard so much about its sucess on the first month and 2 million active users when it launched and after expiry of the free trial we never really got any data.

https://www.inquisitr.com/4879378/s...en-the-xbox-game-pass-free-trial-expired/amp/

So how does this bode for other game-pass games?will it show a big number at the beginig for active users to only be dropped after free trial is over?

This whole game pass and game active users are a new thing and an interesting thing to keep track of.

You still dont tho. Its Superdata wich guesses also. They dont know. :)

OP
OP
Gamer17

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You can use the free trial only once, so all the people who used it for SoT won't be able to use it for SoD2. And I believe the trial is bound to credit card too, so it shouldn't be possibile to get it on a second blank Live account, unless using another card. Not sure about this, tho.
then they can do a month and cancel after that , no?which MS will make 10$ from (not free anymore like this time)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Sea of Thieves should be a perma guest on Game Pass, it would suit that model well.
honestly, I'm sure that's going to be it's position

not that's its necessarily a bad thing, they want hooks to the game pass and sea of thieves model fits a 'from scratch' approach

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Monster hunter world...... a JRPG is more played than sea of thieves here in the states. The drop to me has been incredible. If these updates don't pan out with a good amount of stuff I see it falling even further. It's dropped to the 18th spot already in less than two months.

Please Rare deliver the goods!

MHW is also part of an established franchise. Sea of Thieves is a brand new IP from a dev who hasn't put out a non-kinect game (excluding Rare Replay) in almost a decade, and who really is Rare in name only considering how many of the original studio have likely left by this point.

It's not entirely shocking how it's fairing.

If anything it's doing better at this point than I would've guessed.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there any explanation of how they got this data? What was the sample size for their survey if it was survey based?

Also people have been able to trial game pass for months, and can only trial it once, so I think it's a bit of a stretch coming to these conclusions from the very little actual real data we have.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those people.

Had a blast the times i played with a full party of friends. Although pretty meaningless, the gameplay presents such organic feeling to be fun when playing with friends, even doing the same shit all the time.
It isn't worth 60€ though.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Lol what's so surprising about that?

But honestly the game would do a lot better as free to play game anyway.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh then it can be better or worse. their twitch numbers went from 2800 ish to 700 ish in a month though
But that's a different metric than what is mentioned in OP and thus off-topic. But you answer in your own thread - it could be better or worse, only MS knows. Which makes the whole thread seem a little pointless. But anecdotal references in this thread seem to support that interest in the game faded.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

However retaining one million players isn't bad at all, no?

I think you can create a different Microsoft account if you want to play State of Decay 2 with a trial tbh.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was expected. I know people who fully used 10 hours of Origin trials to enjoy new games and that was enough for them, two weeks from Game Pass is a lot by comparison.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be expected really.

I imagine they will lose more as players reach the "end game" unless they start adding a lot more content, that's how mmos go.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They don't have any source for these numbers.

And it's safe to say these numbers are wrong as the game didn't drop much from week 2 to week 3 in the Xbox Store Most Played Charts. That's the only hard source there is. Everything else is just throwing random numbers around.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Sea of Thieves is a huge disappointment. It makes me skeptical of all the Phil Spencer first-party talk. This game was worked on by one of MS's precious few first-party studios for multiple years... and yet it still launched in this state. This should have been a big tentpole game for Xbox.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
MHW is also part of an established franchise. Sea of Thieves is a brand new IP from a dev who hasn't put out a non-kinect game (excluding Rare Replay) in almost a decade, and who really is Rare in name only considering how many of the original studio have likely left by this point.

It's not entirely shocking how it's fairing.

If anything it's doing better at this point than I would've guessed.

Monster hunter is a new thing for Xbox owners though. Most people who I played with on the console, it was their first experience and most never even heard of it. While it has been huge on PlayStation and Nintendo it was not a commonality in the states for an Xbox player. That's why worlds being so high and sitting there makes me excited for the future of the franchise

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No idea how they got their data and even if it's true it's still impressive to retain half of the people on subs. What is the industry average on obtaining subs through free trial. My guess is it's lower then that.

Status
Not open for further replies.