• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The creators of Stranger Things have come under fire after a teenage actress admitted to feeling "uncomfortable" when she was forced to perform an unscripted kiss on the last day of filming.

In a closing scene of Season 2, Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin), is seen kissing Max, a new character played by teenage actress Sadie Sink.

But Sink has now admitted that she was forced to perform the unscripted action by co-creator Ross Duffer after being "freaked out" by the prospect.

Describing the kiss, which occurs at the Hawkins Middle School Snow Ball, Sink told Beyond Stranger Things: "The kiss was not written in the script. I get there, the first day of Snowball… one of you, I think it was you Ross, you say, 'Ooh, Sadie, you ready for the kiss?' I'm like, 'What! No! That's not in the script. That's not happening."

"So the whole day I was like stressed out, I was like 'Oh my god, wait, am I gonna have to…' and it didn't happen that day, but then the second day of filming the Snow Ball."

Duffer responded: "You reacted so strongly to this. I was just joking, and you were so freaked out that I was like well, I got to make her do it now. That's why I'm saying it's your fault."

http://www.nme.com/news/music/stranger-things-creators-criticised-for-unscripted-kiss-2157077

Video of the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUk4Vje_mCQ

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Edit: After watching the video, it's pretty clear she's not really upset about the kiss now that it's happened. She IS clearly pissed off that he said it was her fault though. Like damn, dude.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Duffer responded: "You reacted so strongly to this. I was just joking, and you were so freaked out that I was like well, I got to make her do it now. That's why I'm saying it's your fault."

Don't wanna derail with my heated response.

Last edited:

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People should really watch the conversation this article is written about. Everyone is joking around.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

Duuuuuuuuude

People should really watch the conversation this article is written about. Everyone is joking around.

Nah I watched it, sure people are laughing around but you can tell Ross was being semi-serious.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Yeesh this is touchy. Seems like more sensitivity was needed with this. Especially when you are working a semi romantic scene with kids.

The Duffer Bros should know better, especially after working with kids for 2 seasons now.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler alert (kissing isn't a spoiler kidding)

Edit: eh.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah that's not some shit you just throw out randomly. Especially when you're dealing with KIDS for christ's sake.

Put it in the script, be transparent about what will be happening.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...isn't it part of your job as an actor to do this if asked by the director? Even if it isn't in the script? And that's not even considering the fact that, as posted above, they may all just be joking around.

darscot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no issue with this, you're paid to do a job and paid very well. It's not like he demanded a make out session or tongue or anything. He wanted a perfectly acceptable kiss between two kids. No one said acting was easy or didn't make you uncomfortable at times.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I think everyone needs to watch the Beyond Stranger Things episode where this discussion takes place. it's all very lighthearted and jovial. I dont think there's any ill intent here. Just a young actress stressing about what might be her first on-screen kiss, that's all. no more, no less.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Like her character being conveniently killed off for talking about this probably, no way Netflix will do anything to the creators of this big hit.
This interview is part of Beyond Stranger Things. A Netflix show. She wasn't even the one who started talking about it. She obviously won't be killed off for it.

People really should watch an interview first before making silly assumptions.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, I watched the video.

Just because they're on camera and there is a "joking" tone doesn't make this any better.

It's not like as a kid fucking actor in an interview you're just going to blatantly call them out and get super serious when they're in control.

It's not cool to not put something like that in the script and there's a reason why the actor brought it up in the first place

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this conversation on the official after show on Netflix? I watched it like a week ago, but the impression I got and remember from when I watched it was that everyone was joking around.

I guess I might have to watch this conversation again.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I watched the video.

Just because they're on camera and there is a "joking" tone doesn't make this any better.

It's not like as a kid fucking actor in an interview you're just going to blatantly call them out and get super serious.
Exactly, she didn't want to do it. He is in a position of power. Just because they are fooling around in this video, or make it seem like they are, doesn't make it okay. Also, I really got something different from her face in that video, people should look closer.

Oct 27, 2017
Why couldn't they just write the kiss in the script? It's not the first time history where teen actors kiss on camera, and there is clear chemistry between the cast, she should have seen this coming. They're actors after all, this is what they do, it is their job to act a certain way, and sometimes it isn't always comfortable.

theDream

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shitty thing to do, because it was prompted apparently by the nervousness of the actor.

But it was included in the show, and kissing is a part of an actors job. There's no doubt this a bit of an asshole move to do, but since it was part of the show and part of the regular duties of an actor, I don't think it's that horrible.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
"Haha, it's so funny that you were uncomfortable with doing and unscripted kiss as a CHILD ACTOR, and I made you do it because.. you didn't want to!"

"Wow this is so hilarious! Oh and haha it's you're fault! Just joking though we're all having fun here!"

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But it wasn't in the script so forcing her to do it was "just her job" right?

Just trying to show that when you sign on for something you sign for the script. Nothing else.
First off, that's a terrible example. Secondly, no, scripts change, people add lib. A movie is never "just the script", not to mention everyone was clearly joking around. Stuff like this is great to make an ignore list with though.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

Yeah I watched the behind the scenes after I finished the second season and I didn't really think she was mad or accusing them of forcing her to do it. It's unfortunate she was very uncomfortable but I did not get the impression from the writer duffer bro that he was insist and forced it on her. This is a difficult subject though so I hope it's worked out with the cast and bros, etc.

But they def shouldn't have forced her if she said no.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First off, that's a terrible example. Secondly, no, scripts change, people add lib. A movie is never "just the script", not to mention everyone was clearly joking around. Stuff like this is great to make an ignore list with though.

Hey I'm just responding to "actors are supposed to do what the director says".

I'm not wrong. No matter how extreme it is.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's bad because they admit it was only added after he saw how uncomfortable she was. That's not cool.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She had to kiss someone that had been clearly scripted as her crush and love interest? I can't really summon the much anger for this one. If that's the part you agree to then you should probably be prepared to ad-lib affectionate or intimate behavior (up to a point).

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's almost like people take advantage of situations in ways that make them look like they're not actually doing anything wrong. Like, say, making things a joke

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I'm just responding to "actors are supposed to do what the director says".

I'm not wrong. No matter how extreme it is.

Yeah but you seem to be disingenuous about how you're going about it. There is going off script because someone had some inspiration or a scene was ad libbed and so on where there is nothing negative or malicious about the act of going off script. Brando raped someone and that being off script seems to focus on entirely the wrong aspect of what was so fucked up about the Last Tango in Paris situation.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
When I saw them talking about this on Beyond Stranger Things I didn't think too much about it since everyone at that point seemed okay with it.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I dont see what the problem is. We are also removing from the fact that these people spent weeks or months together filming and there was probably teasing and joking around galore.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She had to kiss someone that had been clearly scripted as her crush and love interest? I can't really summon the much anger for this one. If that's the part you agree to then you should probably be prepared to ad-lib affectionate or intimate behavior (up to a point).
Scripted after the fact and without notice, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.