• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That's still around double it's nearest similar competitors in the space.

But every show of this type seems to be trending down w/ so many options on stuff like Netflix and Hulu; Sports and News are the last bastion of cable.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Their society is steadily transitioning into one that's pre-industrial. That may be the logical inevitability of a world like this, but I don't know that Amish vs. zombies is necessarily going to attract the audience they want.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Museum with the 1 inch glass panel + not having the groups after the wagon go to the side of the glass instead of walking full length over it was garbage too.

Yeah, it was so obvious what was going to happen too. I was annoyed by it so I fast forwarded to when someone fell through. I'm basically just watching this until Rick is gone.

One of the only things I wanted to see was what happened in DC (I'm sure there have to be a lot of govt resources) and they basically completed ignored it. It would have been cool if they actually explored some of the govt facilities to see how things broke down to get to that point. Getting the seeds make sense, but I'd really like to get more that we got. That plot has completely ignored after the CDC. Understand that's how the comic is, but seems so unrealistic for them to be in DC and not explore more.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really wish they would end this, watched last nights and its just painfully boring now.

At least get them to find a lab who is working on a cure or something!

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't they originally supposed to go to DC a few seasons ago? After Eugene's cover was blown he said something like "I wanted to check out DC since that was the place most likely to have survived" and they agreed to keep going there but once they got to Alexandria they forgot all about it...until this episode I guess.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I know the headlines are meant to be as sensational as possible "TWD loses almost half its audience!", but the premiere was only down a bit from where the audience was at throughout most of the back half of last season:

(all L+SD ofc)

Season 8:

Episode 10: 6.8 million 2.9 A18-49
Episode 11: 6.6 million 2.8 A18-49
Episode 12: 6.7 million 2.8 A1849
Episode 13: 6.8 million 3.0 A18-49
Episode 14: 6.3 million 2.6 A18-49
Episode 15: 6.7 million 2.8 A18-49
Episode 16: 7.9 million 3.4 A18-49

Season 9:

Episode 1: 6.1 million 2.5 A18-49

It's still a drop, but it's not as drastic as most are making it out to be.

In total viewers (ratings are for the season averages, outside of S9 because it obviously just premiered)

1 -> 2.A: +23.0%
2.A -> 2.B: +15.6%
2.B -> 3.A: +35.1%
3.A -> 3.B: +13.0%
3.B -> 4.A: +14.1%
4.A -> 4.B: +5.4%
4.B -> 5.A: +6.6%
5.A -> 5.B: -2.7%
5.B -> 6.A: -29.0%
6.A -> 6.B: -1.5%
6.B -> 7.A: -9.2%
7.A -> 7.B: -8.4%
7.B -> 8.A: -14.8%
8.A -> 8.B: -18.6%
8.B -> 9.A: -12.8%

In the demo

1 -> 2.A: +27.5%
2.A -> 2.B: +15.3%
2.B -> 3.A: +36.1%
3.A -> 3.B: +8.4%
3.B -> 4.A: +14.7%
4.A -> 4.B: +4.6%
4.B -> 5.A: +7.9%
5.A -> 5.B: -2.8%
5.B -> 6.A: -7.9%
6.A -> 6.B: -5.9%
6.B -> 7.A: -8.9%
7.A -> 7.B: -11.3%
7.B -> 8.A: -25.0%
8.A -> 8.B: -21.5%
8.B -> 9.A: -16.4%

This isn't too surprising given the way things are trending - I wouldn't expect a ratings bump for Rick's exit until the actual episode of.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Can see the audience being disappointed that there were not clear indications on how/why Rick is going to die, or at the very least, substantial changes on their situation:
I mean, we still have the 3 communities up and functioning, there were no hints of new characters, nor any "impending" external danger.

And we didn't get to see DC at all. This was particularly egregious, because there is no way they would have reached that museum without facing either a massive amount of zombies, or finding signals of other survivors or something equally interesting. Not even some quick shots of how the city is doing.

Also, at the end of season 8, we saw Maggie plotting with both Jesus and Daryl against Rick. 1.5 years sure seems a little bit too much to "bide their time".

But even with all of that, it was a solid episode.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Wait, has it been confirmed that Rick is going to die? Or is it possible they just have him exit in a way similar to Morgan to leave the door open for a possible future appearance?
She was fine throughout the episode, but she was knocked out by the father who attacked Maggie so she was just recovering.

I think that was after the whole assassination attempt and she fell and hit her head. I did feel like that was a pretty big detail - from that to wheelchair - that they should have covered quickly.
Oh yeah, right. I remember her getting hit and getting a bloody head injury, which is why I didn't make the connection because it does feel weird going from a head injury to a wheelchair.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
The dialogue and character interactions feel much improved in this first episode. Daryl had more lines in this premiere than probably the entire last season, not just caveman grunts anymore. Characters behaved in a more natural and believable way, less cringe dialogue and melodramatic speeches, no corny mustache twirling cartoonish villain in Negan (though I'm sure that's coming). No goofy scenes of dozens of people shooting at each other and missing a lot. I like what Angela Kang has done on this front.

But the rest felt like really familiar Walking Dead stuff with contrived scenarios, artificial drama, crucial events happening because of characters behaving stupidly, and really predictable events. I had hoped the new showrunner, lengthy time jump, and cast departures would be reason to shake up the formula a lot more, but it feels like more of the same just with tighter writing.

Nothing in this premiere episode made me think the show could survive without Rick and Maggie. In fact literally the best parts of this premiere were Rick / Maggie scenes, and they're both gonna be gone in like 4 or 5 episodes.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't see how Rick doesn't die.

Michonne is in the entire season. I really don't see how they have Rick alive and not leave with Michonne.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
I feel they'll probably do a thing like
there's a big herd coming, and Rick "sacrifices" himself to lead the herd away from everyone else, where it isn't explicitly shown that he has died but it's strongly implied, with the out that if they/he wanted to, they could write in a plot about how he was rescued by someone and taken far away and hasn't been able to make it back to his family.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
I feel they'll probably do a thing like
there's a big herd coming, and Rick "sacrifices" himself to lead the herd away from everyone else, where it isn't explicitly shown that he has died but it's strongly implied, with the out that if they/he wanted to, they could write in a plot about how he was rescued by someone and taken far away and hasn't been able to make it back to his family.
That route wasn't satisfying on Fear, and it's hard to believe that it would be here.

Did we ever learn why Andrew wanted to leave? I can only assume that it was in solidarity to Maggie and Coral's situations.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
That route wasn't satisfying on Fear, and it's hard to believe that it would be here.

Did we ever learn why Andrew wanted to leave? I can only assume that it was in solidarity to Maggie and Coral's situations.
Supposedly he wanted to leave before Carl's situation was known, but he wasn't quite ready to go.

But yeah, we're already experiencing that on Fear, and people would never let it go :lol:

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Does it make a difference if he dies or if something happens to him where he is still alive but not on the show anymore? I mean in the later situation he can potentially come back for a few episodes but either way he's gone.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Does it make a difference if he dies or if something happens to him where he is still alive but not on the show anymore? I mean in the later situation he can potentially come back for a few episodes but either way he's gone.
I think it's pretty natural to be curious how the lead for the last 7 years is going to depart a show that is known for violent cast deaths.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I mean I guess some kidnapping would work; Michonne would stick around for the baby's sake I guess and not run off after him.

But it would also be kind of fucking stupid; why kidnap him? lol

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly he wanted to leave before Carl's situation was known, but he wasn't quite ready to go.
But yeah, we're already experiencing that on Fear, and people would never let it go :lol:
Interesting. It certainly makes sense, because it was a good point to pass the flag to Carl (so to speak), and for him to try other options as actor. Hope he at some point spill the beans, though.
To me, it does. It bring memories of telenovelas and zany tv dramas of yore. Or even trash bin Glenn all over again. It also would be hard to not make the situation and explanation contrived: Did he fell into a car, and was unknowingly transported to a different state (like Morgan)? Was he rescued and could not return because amnesia/sickness? Or was he jailed in a prison because previous offenses, or because was considered too dangerous (like Negan)? Then why not kill him, instead?

If he wants out, it should be in a brutal, memorable and non comprised way. But not sure if they have the guts to follow trough.

Pillville

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
You know what no one wants in a suspense/horror show? Politics and elections.
Especially now a days when people like me watch these shows to escape politics.

There's no more suspense. We know all we'll ever know about the walkers. There's zero big picture aspect of the outbreak and dead/virus.

There's no horror. There must be more people dying of old age than by walkers by now.

Honestly not sure what genre this show is now.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just caught up, watched the premiere.

Honestly after seeing the raving reviews and "TWD returns to form", I'm.. disappointed. It wasn't nearly as bad as most of the episodes from last season, but not good by any means either. Just.. passable really.. but ultimately flat.

Still not feeling any emotional punch from any of these characters or events; that's the one thing I really wanted from a new showrunner. The politics are kind of a drag and not very interesting (though I get the comic does drag in some of these areas as well). Zombies still don't really feel threatening, despite somebody dying from a bite, though there were some decent sequences. They just don't really feel menacing like they used to or scary. I miss episodes like the one in S2 with Shane and Otis, where they make a run for meds for Carl and get cornered/trapped and have to run for their lives/figure out strats to escape. When they actually felt like they were in trouble, like flesh hungry monsters were ready to rip them apart. I don't remember the last episode where zombies actually felt like that sort of a threat.

I like that some of the mains got more screen time, but.. again, most of these scenes just fell flat for me and didn't really resonate in any meaningful way. It just seems like the show has really lost its ability to pack an emotional gut punch.

Decent/good:
  • More focus on main characters and their interactions
  • Plot is moving at a brisk pace, pretty nicely balanced in terms of progression/action sequences
  • New locations instead of just forest/inside of community walls, rinse and repeat
  • No more shitty side characters with terrible acting, some were actually decent
  • Maggie laying the law
  • Dialogue has improved a little
Not so good/bad:
  • No emotional resonance, scenes just feel kind of lifeless and flat
  • Core group drama still not really compelling
  • Political structure not engaging/interesting (somewhat of an issue in comics too)
  • Some awful CGI.. I don't understand why they don't just get some alternate ideas with practical effects.
  • Some characters just seem to be sitting around and checking boxes.. Daryl has felt this way for some time, despite getting decent screen time this episode
  • Still feels kinda pointless in terms of purpose for the season and episode, no clear goals of objectives, little character development/insignificant involvement
  • Dude going from "I'm no man at all" in regard to not fighting for justice for his son and doing a shadowy murderer turn was comical
I mean.. it's much better than a repeat of S8, that's for sure but still very flat and hardly passable, especially in comparison to earlier seasons.

So if this is the best the show can muster for a premiere.. I don't have a whole lot of hope for the rest of the season. Would love to be wrong about my pessimism though.

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to get ugly when Rick is gone.

Yeah, it seems like a great jumping off point, honestly. I may be gone after Rick is gone myself. I'm just watching it at this point because of the time invested in it. I mean, not all of it is bad, but it's been very middling these past few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.