• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
No of course not. I just have a personal categorization regarding what's produced in-house by Valve and what's being bought out/purchased by Valve. Original IPs and whatnot, or any company for that matter (I consider Fallout and Doom for Bethesda under the same nature).
So under those conditions how can you not consider Portal to be an inhouse game? It's an original IP created at Valve, by Valve employees.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
You said it's odd talking about deadlines when they haven't done any videogame development, but what does it matter wether or not the IPs they were working on is original? It doesn#t make the work or the deadlines any less real?

I said it was odd talking about "deadline development" in the context of developing an inhouse game. Granted, I'm only familiar with the context of Dota 2 but development time/effort was spent in porting over the game from its original WC3 custom game incarnation. Yes development effort was made and I'm sure a deadline of sorts was as well, but I wouldn't consider it a "ground-up" workflow compared to generating an IP or making a derivative of a pre-existing IP.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Great. I have no problem with longer dev times or delays if it means developers work saner hours and are treated better.

It was disappointing seeing people defend Rockstar's shitty practices last year, so tweets like these are a breath of fresh air.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said it was odd talking about "deadline development" in the context of developing an inhouse game. Granted, I'm only familiar with the context of Dota 2 but development time/effort was spent in porting over the game from its original WC3 custom game incarnation. Yes development effort was made and I'm sure a deadline of sorts was as well, but I wouldn't consider it a "ground-up" workflow compared to generating an IP or making a derivative of a pre-existing IP.
DOTA 2 wasn't "ported." That's not what that word means.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Was it? Huh, must've believed something else for all these years then. Derp on my part.
https://www.digipen.edu/showcase/student-games/narbacular-drop

This is the student project that Valve liked enough to hire the small team. Portal itself, from the very first game, was developed only after they were employed in Valve, as a Valve project. Everything from the lore, the narrative, the script, the level design, the puzzles, the assets, etc were original and parts of it tie into Half-Life's universe. It is absolutely an inhouse Valve franchise by any definition!

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
A healthy working environment is amazingly important. Big kudos to Valve for that.

Valve time is a Victorian bathtub filled with freezing cold hope.
Some times fans go to conventions and get in it, and this happens.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to and actually doing it are two very different things.
True, and as I wrote, that's cool. I've got no beef with Valve or devs having a healthy life/work balance -- it's just that Valve Time, i.e. basically releasing a game whenever you feel like it, isn't really applicable to most devs out there who constantly have to hit milestones / meet deadlines / keep the lights on. The luxury of Valve Time is an exception, in any industry, and thus barely an example others can learn from or even copy. That obviously doesn't mean other devs should have to crunch.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
This is an extremely toxic opinion. You have no idea what you are talking about. Having a healthy work/life balance is NOT in direct conflict with being a productive employee.
That's kind of the opposite of what is said in those tweet thought. It state valve time ( ie : how people complain about Valve taking their time releasing things ) as the reason employee have that healthy work/life balance; or vice versa.

Not sure it's even true thought, "valve time" seems more about how anyone can choose to work on whatever they want and switch priority at any time, than about their time spent at work. Take the storefront rework, we expect it's release since 2017, it's unlikely that a 2 year delay is simply the result of not doing extra time every day.
I kinda wonder how many people are working on Artifact because apparently its getting quite stagnant.

The only other company who could probably pull off something like this (work/life balance) would be Blizzard...IF they weren't being ground to dust under Kotick's heel.
Given what we know they might just work on it... just because they want to ( and well a game can have a second life give enough work & luck i guess). Just like you a very few people working on their still very successfull games ( dota 2, TF2 )... because they apparently don't feel like working on it.

Last edited:

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Long History of Trolling, Accumulated Infractions
I wish Valve crunched, it would they still cared about the projects that people actually want from Valve.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And a completely new BR mode.
I know the project was initially outsourced, but they've put in quite a lot of work since.

I won't deny they've changed the game pretty substantially since it first came out, they've made great balance changes over the past few years and the game is in a good state. And you are right, at the end of the day valve has put a good amount of work in to the game (for the # of employees working on it). I was just trying to make the point that their support of the game pales in comparison to other esports titles such as overwatch, dota 2, LoL, etc.

Valve's minimum resources approach works when you've got two of the best multiplayer formulas ever (CS and Dota), but there's so much competition in every genre these days. I'll be curious to see what happens when they try to branch out from those - maybe Artifacts complete failure is an outlier or maybe its a sign of things to come.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's great and I'm happy for them.

Always good to remember that my frustration with them when it comes to PR and development is completely separate from them having a healthy work environment.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I wish Valve crunched, it would they still cared about the projects that people actually want from Valve.

You are wishing for employees to work themselves to having not a social and family life, so that you can get a game you like from them?

Wow.

Not sure it's even true thought, "valve time" seems more about how anyone can choose to work on whatever they want and switch priority at any time, than about their time spent at work. Take the storefront rework, we expect it's release since 2017, it's unlikely that a 2 year delay is simply the result of not doing extra time every day.

And while you dont get a storefront rework in the last year you literally got a SteamLink App for Android, the Chat rehaul, a Game, Proton, new opportunities for internet cafès, constant updates for their decade old MP games, Publisher pages, changes of curator stuff (analytics added) etc.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
How this should just be the norm for everyone in a wealthy country is a separate conversation.

It's really not a separate conversation.
In fact, I think it's a conversation all Capitalist countries should be having, like yesterday...

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I'm still curious as to how Valve get employees to voluntarily clean the toilets with their completely flat organisational structure.
I know that you are joking but when i worked in a medium size company with flat structure we were responsibles for cleaning up everything except the toilets.
I have to tell you only one thing, we had the cleanest workspace in any company i know and because it was a team effort it boosted morale. It was like children play, not work.

As for Valve, i congratulate them from the bootm of my heart and happily i want to pay more for games on Steam if workforce here can be happy and live as humans.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
No of course not. I just have a personal categorization regarding what's produced in-house by Valve and what's being bought out/purchased by Valve. Original IPs and whatnot, or any company for that matter (I consider Fallout and Doom for Bethesda under the same nature).
Then surely you would also realize that Valve also wrote all the Dota 2 lore from scratch considering that the original mod had literal anime and Final Fantasy characters in it.

DOTA 2 wasn't "ported." That's not what that word means.
It definitely was initially. There was a period of about two years or so when Dota 2 and the original DotA mod both got the exact same balance same balance patches before the sequel started diverging.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely was initially. There was a period of about two years or so when Dota 2 and the original DotA mod both got the exact same balance same balance patches before the sequel started diverging.
its not a port when you are remaking every single asset

Jun 1, 2018
Videogames made by valve in the last decade:

Left 4 Dead 2
Alien Swarm
Portal 2
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Dota 2
The Lab
Artifact
In the Valley of Gods
let me correct you:

in most of those games werent made in the last 5 years:

The Lab and Artifact, wow one VR demo and one awful card game. great job!
also in the valley of gods wasnt released yet and nobody knows when and its developed from other devs that valve bought

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
let me correct you:

also in the valley of gods wasnt released yet and nobody knows when and its developed from other devs that valve bought

Decade
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
For other uses, see Decade (disambiguation).
A decade is a period of 10 years. The word is derived (via French and Latin) from the Ancient Greek: δεκάς, translit. dekas), which means a group of ten. Other words for spans of years also come from Latin: biennium (2 years), triennium (3 years), quadrennium (4 years), lustrum (5 years), century (100 years), millennium (1000 years).
Contents
Usage[edit]
Although any period of ten years is a decade,[1][2] a convenient and frequently referenced interval is based on the tens digit of a calendar year, as in using "1960s" to represent the decade from 1960 to 1969.[3][4] Often, for brevity, only the tens part is mentioned (60s or sixties), although this may leave it uncertain which century is meant. These references are frequently used to encapsulate popular culture or other widespread phenomena that dominated such a decade.
However, the Gregorian calendar begins with the year 1. (There is no year "zero", and the year before AD 1 is 1 BC with nothing in between.) Therefore, its first decade is from AD 1 to AD 10, the second decade from AD 11 to AD 20, and so on.[5] So, although "the 1960s" comprises the years 1960 to 1969, the years 1961-through-1970 comprise "the 197th decade" of the calendar, which can also be referenced as "the seventh decade of the 20th-century".
A decade may also refer to an arbitrary span of ten years. For example, the statement "during his last decade, Mozart explored chromatic harmony to a degree rare at the time", merely refers to the last ten years of Mozart's life without regard to which calendar years are encompassed.
Particularly for the 20th century, a nominal decade is often used to refer not just to a set of ten years but rather to a period roughly approximating those ten years - for example, the phrase the sixties often refers to events that took place between c. 1964 and 1972, and to memories of the counterculture, flower power, protests of 1968 and other things happening at the time. Often, such a nominal decade will come to be known by a title, such as the "Swinging Sixties" (1960s), the "Warring Forties" (1940s) and the "Roaring Twenties" (1920s). This practice is occasionally also applied to decades of earlier centuries, for example, references to the 1890s as the "Gay Nineties" or "Naughty Nineties".
See also[edit]
References[edit]
  1. ^ "Oxford Dictionaries". askoxford.com. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
  2. ^ Webster dictionary definition of "decade"
  3. ^ The OWL at Purdue: Apostrophe
  4. ^ "1960s". Memidex/Wordnet Dictionary/Thesaurus. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
  5. ^ Passim, i.a. Spencer, Donald D. 1989. Invitation to number theory with Pascal. Ormond Beach: Camelot. 46: "The first decade is from one to ten inclusive, the second decade from eleven to twenty inclusive, and so on."
External links[edit]
Look up decade in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Wikimedia Commons has media related to Decades.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Valve, but when's the last time Valve made an inhouse game? It's odd talking about deadlines for video game development when you haven't bothered with that in, what, a decade?
Last year? And 2016? And now they have another game coming in 2019? Plus three more unnanounced games in full production?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I'm glad to hear this. I wonder if being a private company helps at all

It helps a lot. They are not forced to grow every year. They can even decide to earn less money than they could (blasphemy!!!) if they think it's the right thing for their business. I can't know if they actually did it, but they could.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
That's good to hear that she has a good life balance working there.
Although I have still my doubts that Valve's workplace really has changed for good after reading all the tweets from Rich Geldreich last year.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? That's not what I'm saying. The tweets are referring specifically to Valve Time, and Valve has the luxury of not ever having to release a game again and probably still being able to stay afloat. The same isn't true for 99,9% other devs out there.

It's true for any company, game developers or otherwise. Nothing in those tweets is specific to game developers. All companies should be working towards giving their employees a better work/life balance.

All companies have deadlines and dates they need to hit.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Is Valve the gaming equivalent of pretending you know something about sports at a party by spouting incorrect but widely used statements?
Every single thread it's the same stuff, like it all came from a knock off Trivial Pursuit card.

They haven't made a game in X years.
All they make is hats.
Greedy.
Steam never updated.
Monopoly.

And many more bullshit claims.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wonder how many people are working on Artifact because apparently its getting quite stagnant.
This is one of these things where I wonder about the open company structure. Working on artifact can not be much fun right now, so what happens if most devs say they want to work on another project?

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
let me correct you:

How the fuck are you going to "correct" someone by blatantly moving goal posts.

Olly

May 13, 2018
I've worked in toxic environments that breed a masochistic level of competition between employees when it comes to how many hours they've worked, with the first one out the door before 10pm getting sidelong looks.

I haven't been at Valve for long but I echo Jane's sentiment here. I find it an extremely pleasant place to work. People certainly put in extra hours when needed, or if they feel like it, but the self-directed nature of the work means those extra hours are usually spent on things that people feel personally invested in. If I see I can add value to a product, and I feel the work will be enjoyable, I don't mind coming in at the weekend to bash it out. I have never felt an implicit expectation to crunch.

Caveat: I can't speak for anyone else at the company, just my own, brief experience.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've worked in toxic environments that breed a masochistic level of competition between employees when it comes to how many hours they've worked, with the first one out the door before 10pm getting sidelong looks.

I haven't been at Valve for long but I echo Jane's sentiment here. I find it an extremely pleasant place to work. People certainly put in extra hours when needed, or if they feel like it, but the self-directed nature of the work means those extra hours are usually spent on things that people feel personally invested in. If I see I can add value to a product, and I feel the work will be enjoyable, I don't mind coming in at the weekend to bash it out. I have never felt an implicit expectation to crunch.

Caveat: I can't speak for anyone else at the company, just my own, brief experience.
Has it impacted your Garfield art in a positive way?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Valve have issues with their work culture because since no one was a clear boss, people tended started to create "high school cliques" where if you weren't in line with them, they would make your work very hard? or it was just a rumor?

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
let me correct you:

Artifact is generally considered to be a good card game. Peoples issues come from the payment model, the actual gameplay is pretty good.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The big irony here is that Valve couldn't afford Valve time if they weren't profiting from selling all those games produced by people doing crazy overtimes and constant crunch.

In short, this tweet is about as miopic as one from a fashion store clerk who works 9-17 selling clothes made from people who are fundamentally slaves.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

That's great to hear. I am a firm believer in the fact that people are at their most productive when they are happy and rested. Mandatory sustained crunch times need to end.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The big irony here is that Valve couldn't afford Valve time if they weren't profiting from selling all those games produced by people doing crazy overtimes and constant crunch.

In short, this tweet is about as miopic as one from a fashion store clerk who works 9-17 selling clothes made from people who are fundamentally slaves.

Valve isnt forcing other pubs and devs to crunch.

"Damn Valve and their.... good work-life balance!"

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Ubisoft is probably the most efficient company in the industry and is well renowned for its work/life balance. Gigantic games like AC Odyssey were made without crunch.

So no, I'm not convinced that working at glacial pace on unambitious projects is something to applaud them for.