• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Three games they didn't come up with themselves or bought the company making the game and Artifact. Not exactly a great track record.

Work/life balance is extremely important and I'm not minimizing that. I'm just minimizing Valve's 'recent' game output.
Are you aware of Valve's history?

Half-Life was made just by Valve people and was their first game (other than the cancelled Prospero, but that does not count since it was cancelled)
Counter-Strike and all it's sequels/remasters/whatever are buying the people making the game
Team Fortress and Team Fortress 2 was hiring a modder that made the original.
Portal was hiring a small team that made a game at a school.
Left 4 Dead was picking up another studio that made a game with a similar idea, and was adapted into what became Left 4 Dead. Valve's version of their original game was even released as a free game on Steam (Alien Swarm).
Dota 2 was hiring the modders (Icefrog and Eul) that made the original.
Artifact and In the Valley of the Gods you already know about.

Bottom line, you could make the same argument you're making for ALL of Valve's lifetime. These studios or modders they buy ARE part of Valve, they work for Valve, they get paychecks from Valve. There may be situations where for instance, they hired Hidden Path to make CSGO when it original came out, but Valve took over maintenance of that. The former Campo Santo people are Valve now. You can't just pick and choose games to not count as games and keep the others because you like those games.

I didn't even mention the VR games, hardware endeavors (Steam machines, Steam Controller, Steam Link, Steam Link phone app, Steam Broadcast, etc.), and other ventures.

Valve makes games. They may not make the games you personally want, but they make games. I personally like Artifact, but it flopped massively. Lots of people did not like it, and they're entitled to that opinion. However it's straight up false to say they don't make games. They also maintain Dota, CSGO, TF2 (albeit to a lesser degree now), and even are STILL going to persist with Artifact as patch notes from that as recent as this week said they are still in this for the long haul. I really hope they can turn Artifact around, because it's a great game.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
A few years ago I remember reading something (I think on Kotaku?) talking about the toxic, almost high school-like clique nature of Valve's offices... I wonder if there was any real truth to that or what?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah it's how every game company should work (I mean it's already how most companies work, but still). Part of gamer petulance is what publishers bred it to be. The game is done when it's done, chillax.

if only Valve made games
Pretty sure CD Projekt Red does the same.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Surely, you jest?

There's more that seriously believe there's a jealous "console peasant" conspiracy going on vs the supreme majesty of Windows PCs and that's why Valve is occasionally criticised around here? Fucking hell, yes there are some embarrassing posts in here from the lazy devs rhetoeic through to this shit above.

Its good that some Valve employees seem to be happy with the working conditions although I've noticed that those who spend longer at Valve tend to leave more negative reviews on Glass door and similar compared to those who have been around a year or so. I recall one mentioning long hours there but can't access it now as I don't have the log in, I would hope it means no enforced crunch but other development studios have also not directly stated mandatory crunch yet encourage a toxic culture whereby those that object to poor conditions and pressure are ostracized and eventually replaced by those willing (usually younger, hungrier devs who will tolerate this to get their foot in the door). I think it also relates to why we haven't seen industry unionization just yet.

Still, it's nice to hear of happy developers for a change. Long may it continue.

Occasionally criticized. I suppose that's one way to say it. I'd say there's a persistent wave of disdain towards valve. Even when we hear about them treating their employees nicely, we diversion and backhanded comments that dovetail into memetic criticisms. Which is fine, in a way. However let's look at the nature of the criticism.

Criticism tends to come from those who don't seem to participate in other PC discussion here. Much comes from familiar faces who I don't need to accuse of being aligned with other interests. So it seems that valve is managing to rub a lot of people the wrong way, even though they have no direct contact. That should be a red flag.

Most popular criticisms include: 30% cut is too much. Valve does nothing. Valve does not make half Life 3 or other games they don't make. Valve is a monopoly. Valve lets too many games on their store.

Have I missed any? These criticisms are struck down over and over again because they are so flimsy. Those repeating them do not seem to care if they are corrected with facts or anything.

People who use steam a lot know that these criticisms don't really hold water. And they know equally that there is a laundry list of things to actually complain about. But if you don't actually use the service, you wouldn't know. It's sort of a dead giveaway.

Exactly why is what we're batting back and forth. Just trying to interpret the phenomenon, here.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Threads like this are always a stark reminder that while a lot of Era users talk a good game about how capitalism is destroying the industry and demand economic justice, they specifically mean only in video games not in real life where it'd be bad.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Actually, bag on MS all you want but I have numerous friends who work there, and would never leave of their own volition. They say that MS is the best company they've ever worked for. Work/life balance matters - especially in productivity

There are companies out there that have achieved that balance

I hear Amazon and Google are two of the absolute worst companies to work for, except to gain experience and go elsewhere

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Actually, bag on MS all you want but I have numerous friends who work there, and would never leave of their own volition. They say that MS is the best company they've ever worked for. Work/life balance matters - especially in productivity

There are companies out there that have achieved that balance

I hear Amazon and Google are two of the absolute worst companies to work for, except to gain experience and go elsewhere
Yeah my friend honest hates working at google it's nice and he's been able to get into a cozy area where he can do what he wants but like the work enviroment is toxic.

MS is a super good company to work for.