• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Re-reading some of my 90s Venom comics, and the movie is better than it has any right to be based on the source material.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
You could use this thinking with Venom as well. Not like people were clamoring or demanding a Venom movie.

The difference is that we all ready had a Spider-Man

Venom never had his own main film just a feature. Even though yes know one asked for it , just Sony trying to build their own Universe which might be coming to fruition

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
The comedic sections of Venom were the only thing that worked. Otherwise it felt like whole sections of the movie were cut out of the movie.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that we all ready had a Spider-Man

Venom never had his one main film just a feature. Even though yes know one asked for it , just Sony trying to build their own Universe which might be coming to fruition

And you don't think they're not building a cinematic universe for Into the Spider-verse? A film that already has a sequel and spin offs in the works?

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
They should have skewed even younger...

Yes, I am going to keep posting this flubber/venom mashup.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It's good if you're going in there expecting a good time.

I don't think audiences expected some huge epic. It's weird. I critics job is to review all aspects of said movie. But I think what is missed by critics and those who put so much stock in them is audience enjoyment.

A lot of people go to the movies simply to have fun and escape. I think a lot of people who saw the RT scores and critic scores come in for Venom immediately wrote the movie off and then BAM. It turned out to be one of the highest grossing of the year.
A critics job is to critically analyze.
Its in the job description. Not to gauge mass market appeal.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well, finished it. I liked parts of it alot. Riot vs venom was a low part. Venom vs people was the high parts.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the movie but damn it's pretty shit overall. They could have had no plot at all, just a coming of age story about venom with Hardy and called it a day.

The motivation behind the villain was just awful. But the movie was redeemed by Hardy for sure

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I can say the movie made me wince a few times. It's not a completely worthless movie. It's fairly competent from a body horror - science fiction pov.

That it sometimes turn into an Adam Sandler sketch just makes it weirder.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why it got criticized, it's such a bog standard comic book movie

But the performance itself from Hardy was pretty entertaining. I liked his neuroses.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
From my perspective Venom scored precisely what I expected the other movies in the marvel franchise to score. They're all campy and corny movies which are, at times, fun to watch and are, at other times, just plain boring. Venom was fun to watch since it had some actual character development even if it was relatively poorly executed.

If anything what amazed me more was to see the high scores some of the other movies in the other marvel franchises have scored. I'd never go to a marvel movie expecting to experience some sort of cerebral masterclass in film making. They're all "turn your brain off and enjoy the show" type films.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I'm in my mid-20s and thought the only reason it wasn't the worst film of the year is because this year had the worst Star Wars ever (Solo), the blandest Peter Jackson film ever (Mortal Engines), and four of the worst wide-release horror films in my lifetime (The Predator, Blumhouse's Truth or Dare, Winchester, and Possession of Hannah Grace). It was notably shit in a year that had a fair amount of competition in that department

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Venom. It was a popcorn movie. Nothing else, nothing more.

Oct 26, 2017
It enters this weird paradox where it's so irredeemably awful it's fantastic.

It feels like a movie you'd see testing on a plasma in Best Buy circa 2005 and I not only accepted that, but welcomed it.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The critics and the fans had the same criticism. A bad movie with a fun Tom Hardy performance.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
its a fun b-movie romp, but im not surprised the people most inclined to critically analyze a film (yknow... CRITICS) dont like it. Its a sloppily put together movie

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
"Venom is the fifth highest-grossing film of 2018 at the global box office with a haul of $852 million"

Damn, had no idea it did so well.

People really like the subsection of big blockbuster movies that are the dumb fun ones. It explains how Fast and Furious and Transformers managed to live so long as franchises.

This, and I'm so glad it was an absolutely massive success financially so we can get some more films in the future. That thread where most of Era was predicting a massive flop is pretty hilarious in retrospect.

Gonna quote this for the future because if Sony pictures is known for anything, it's for royally screwing up sequels for a potentially good franchise start.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i enjoyed venom for what it was.

then again I am not a man child for super hero movies that is trying to force The Academy to give all my favorite Toys to Life movies an oscar for best picture.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
movie was nowhere near as bad as a Transformers flick, and far from as offensive (venom is also far from F&F quality imo)

a common sentiment is that all the parts that are Eddie and Venom are fun and everything else about the movie sucks, which I honestly wouldn't disagree with but the movie is centered around Eddie/Venom so it's mostly an enjoyable experience

i went in looking to see it ironically and groan through it, but it earnestly won me over

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I get the feeling half the people saying it was "fun" also probably tore The Last Jedi to shit?

They did the get the symbiote design right and yeah getting the symbiote from a comet makes more sense than Spider-Man sewing it into a new suit on Battleworld...but 85% of Venom's character is his and the symbiote's mutual hatred of Spider-Man. Eddie Brock was a journalist with serious ethics problems with too big an ego to admit he done fucked up thus blaming Spider-Man. The symbiote feels spurned that Spidey rejected it and finds an ally.

Rami actually got that part right but I agree Topher was miscast and the venom design was puny: his motivations were spot on though...he probably would have worked if he was teased via backstory in 3 and the main villain in the never to be Rami Spider-Man 4.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Why do I get the feeling half the people saying it was "fun" also probably tore The Last Jedi to shit?

They did the get the symbiote design right and yeah getting the symbiote from a comet makes more sense than Spider-Man sewing it into a new suit on Battleworld...but 85% of Venom's character is his and the symbiote's mutual hatred of Spider-Man. Eddie Brock was a journalist with serious ethics problems with too big an ego to admit he done fucked up thus blaming Spider-Man. The symbiote feels spurned that Spidey rejected it and finds an ally.

Rami actually got that part right but I agree Topher was miscast and the venom design was puny: his motivations were spot on though.

I loved both Venom and the Last Jedi.

And no, you're wrong. Venom was like you described in the first few issues of his life but he became his own characters with his own storyline for more then 20 years now. Stop perpetuating the idea that Venom only cares about Spidey when it's just false.

And no, Raimi butchered Venom by making him Carnage.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rami actually got that part right but I agree Topher was miscast and the venom design was puny: his motivations were spot on though...he probably would have worked if he was teased via backstory in 3 and the main villain in the never to be Rami Spider-Man 4.
I loved both Venom and the Last Jedi.

And no, you're wrong. Venom was like you described in the first few issues of his life but he became his own characters with his own storyline for more then 20 years now. Stop perpetuating the idea that Venom only cares about Spidey when it's just false.

And no, Raimi butchered Venom by making him Carnage.

Would you like me to unseal my copies Of Amazing Spider-Man 299-301 and provide scans? We're talking about McFarlane's origin of the character so I'm 100% right.

Admittedly I haven't followed the comics since the late 90's: did they change his back story or something?

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You could use this thinking with Venom as well. Not like people were clamoring or demanding a Venom movie.

Venom looks cool though and a lot of people remember him from back when we were younger.

This Spider verse thing just seems confusing. Like why are there so many spidermen. Then there is a pig that has spiderman powers. That shit right there comes off as dumber than anything Venom related. I'm not saying the movie is bad, it could be excellent as far as I know. I'm just saying that as a casual comic fan when I see a trailer of 10 spidermen and one is a pig I lose all interest.

Dosia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. Pretty dope movie and hopefully there is a sequel with Woody's character. 😏

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
People really like the subsection of big blockbuster movies that are the dumb fun ones. It explains how Fast and Furious and Transformers managed to live so long as franchises.

To be fair, the Fast and Furious franchise truly exploded when the films actually became good. Fast Five is a legitimately great action film and 6-7 are really good too.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is just a bad movie from every point of film making.