• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Venom looks cool though and a lot of people remember him from back when we were younger.

This Spider verse thing just seems confusing. Like why are there so many spidermen. Then there is a pig that has spiderman powers. That shit right there comes off as dumber than anything Venom related. I'm not saying the movie is bad, it could be excellent as far as I know. I'm just saying that as a casual comic fan when I see a trailer of 10 spidermen and one is a pig I lose all interest.

It's a movie that deals with the multiverse, but Miles is still the main character. Dunno what this really has to do with Venom though.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Venom is not on the level of Transformers. Those movies are offensively bad.

I feel like a sequel to Venom could be pretty fun if they lean in hard on the stupid shit. Make it like Crank but with Tom Hardy.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Venom looks cool though and a lot of people remember him from back when we were younger.

This Spider verse thing just seems confusing. Like why are there so many spidermen. Then there is a pig that has spiderman powers. That shit right there comes off as dumber than anything Venom related. I'm not saying the movie is bad, it could be excellent as far as I know. I'm just saying that as a casual comic fan when I see a trailer of 10 spidermen and one is a pig I lose all interest.

And Into the Spider-Verse doesn't look cool? Not too mention you should probably check out the fact that Into the Spider-Verse is one of the best rated films of the years and outranks stuff like The Dark Knight on places on Rotten Tomatoes.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The marketing for it has been pretty garbage, selling it to the tiny subsection of people who are down for that kind of randomness sight unseen. It actually has an incredibly strong emotional core and story to tell. If you see it, You'll really enjoy it I guarantee it but why that is has nothing to do with what they've presented.

Had they marketed the core character, his struggles, and the actual stakes of the movie foremost I bet you'd have been interested. I get what you're saying: 'oh hey a bunch of random (gimmicky?) spider-people in some animated movie where they don't even really explain what's going on or why I should care.... so why should I care again?' It makes it seem shallow and throwaway, but it's legitimately one of the best CBMs made yet and one of the best movies this year. See it in theater my dude, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
93rqPYI.jpg

WeAreVenumb

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it, but it felt like they cut quite a bit out to the point that it felt disjointed and rushed. Like, it seemed like it was filmed in 4 parts, A,B,C, and D, but at some point C got scrapped and we missed a bit of some character development for Venom and Riot.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Venom was stupid fun. It could have even been great with better writing and pacing but none of the characters' motivations were really earned.

Eddie and Venom bonded as friends way too quickly and the villains were stupid. Real real stupid. Not in an offensive way, but I felt so whatever about them both.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a trash movie but fun trash.

I wanna see the 40 extra minutes of Eddie and Venom bonding

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not very old and I didn't appreciate the film either. It was poorly written and the motivation of the symbiote from wanting to kill to Eddie to being his partner was completely baffling. There was no build up or even any logic reason for that change.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Venom is on par with the first of the Bay Transformers, if not a little worse.

Which is fine. I like em both. But thats the level.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I actually just got done watching it. It was a lot of fun. Sure, it wasn't the greatest, but it was enjoyable.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
"You're just too OLD!" says man in his 50s who hasn't created anything of note since the first George Bush was president.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Venom managed to not make me hate myself too much for watching it, even though I've always despised the character.
It was incredibly stupid but it kinda worked, it achieved its modest goals. And for better or worse, it 100% captured the spirit of those trashy 90s comics which were targeted at dumb 11 year olds like myself. I'd argue it's a very faithful adaptation even though I don't like the source material. So yeah, I'd say its success is understandable. And deserved.

The Mark Kermode review was pretty great. He wanted to trash it so bad but just couldn't deny that he had strangely enjoyed some parts of it unironically. Pretty much how I feel exactly.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It was a super fun movie. It was flawed as all hell, but watching the banter between Brock and Venom was legit more entertaining than like a shit ton of movies. Yeah, the plot was garbage, but it was fun garbage.
A+++++ will watch the inevitable sequel.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Todd Mcfarlane is a douchebag who founded a comic book company with the promise of creator's rights only to not honor that and screw over Neil Gaiman of all people.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand the overwhelming hatred. Everyone I saw this with loved it and we laughed a few times a long the way. I get the feeling people wanted this to be in tone with the Daredevil series on Netflix, but no- I like it for what it is- an over the top, fun, action movie with a great anti-hero.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Probably one of the biggest discrepancies between critical and audience response I can think of. Everyone I know enjoyed it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Critics hate on everything, so nothing new, although I do get why they hated it to some degree.

Venom wasn't a great movie compared to other recent superhero movies. The side characters were forgettable, the villain was lame and the final fight was a CG mess with a disappointing end but what really made it entertaining and mostly saved it was Tom Hardy's bat shit crazy performance and his interactions with Venom.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna hate on the movie but I do hate that we'll probably get Venom 2 before Mad Max: Wasteland.