GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Link.

It was around 2 a.m. on Saturday when the Airbnb host kicked Kenneth Simpson and his friends out of her New York townhouse. "Get your things and get the f--- out of my house," Simpson recalled her saying to the five black men.

As the friends started to pack their things, the owner, listed on Airbnb under the name Kate, called them "criminals," saying she felt threatened by their presence, Simpson told The Washington Post. That's when Simpson told his friends to start recording the exchange. Then, she uttered a racial epithet long used toward black people.

"Which monkey is gonna stay on the couch?" the host asked the group.

The moment, captured in two viral videos shared by Simpson over the weekend, is the latest in a line of racist encounters on platforms like Airbnb, again calling into question the safeguards in place to protect customers from hateful actions. On Sunday, Airbnb announced it had banned the host, calling the language she used "unacceptable."

But things didn't seem right when they arrived at the Upper East Side home late Friday. Although the listing was advertised as an entire-unit rental, they discovered it was a shared home, Simpson said. He added that the group was given the okay to bring a dog in a crate, but the hosts reportedly balked at the animal when they arrived. Then, the host's boyfriend asked them to lower their music and keep their voices down. The friends felt uncomfortable, Simpson said, but vowed to make it through the night before finding a different place to stay in the morning.

Then, Kate told them they had to go, giving them a few minutes to leave, he said. At that point, the friends called the police and started filming. The videos, posted to Twitter on Saturday, have combined for more than 420,000 views as of early Monday.

Edit - The boyfriend of the host made a reddit post:

Last edited:

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this over the weekend and.... *sigh*.

I wish I had more insight to this, but for us, this is an every day occurrence. They tolerated being called a "monkey" more than I would have in that situation, and I consider myself pretty patient.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this over the weekend and.... *sigh*.

I wish I had more insight to this, but for us, this is an every day occurrence. They tolerated being called a "monkey" more than I would have in that situation, and I consider myself pretty patient.
Cameras are a godsend, folks can now fight back and not have to eat shit or die

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
What's funny (well not funny) is how nonchalant she calls them monkey's, there wasn't the usual angry racist windup.

I read the boyfriend's version which tried to paint them as being loud and inconsiderate, but it looks like they intentionally went looking for an empty house to not have to deal with those issues and got okey doked.
Ive had that happen to friends too where they booked a spot thinking they can stretch out and enjoy a kick back party weekend and the airbnb sold em a false bill of goods and the owners around in full dorm RA mode.

Also his 'my side' was solely concerned about how they felt they were unfairly delisted

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i always wonder why airbnb owners who know they are racist still rent their place out. just greed i guess? i guess most of the time they just quietly reject the renters based on names or whatever, and get away with it.

airbnb just sucks in these situations, the company needs to be held accountable for not matching up what the place really is vs what is listed (empty house, owner not also living there). Yeah, if you complain they will bend over backwards to help you but 90% of the time you have to deal with shit like this. I also bet they don't really try to do anything about tracking owners who quietly reject people who sound non white by name.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny (well not funny) is how nonchalant she calls them monkey's, there wasn't the usual angry racist windup.

I read the boyfriend's version which tried to paint them as being loud and inconsiderate, but it looks like they intentionally went looking for an empty house to not have to deal with those issues and got okey doked.
Ive had that happen to friends too where they booked a spot thinking they can stretch out and enjoy a kick back party weekend and the airbnb sold em a false bill of goods and the owners around in full dorm RA mode.

Here is the bs story the bf said for those interested:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
so this is the part where we find out who she is and completely ruin her career ect.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Saw it this morning. I've never booked an Air BnB but racist cellphone videos have convinced me to never even try it. Don't even want to risk it and have to deal with that.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I was impartial until she started asking about monkeys.

GUILTY

and lol @ her story claiming they called her names. Nothing about their constitution suggests that unless it came after she started asking about monkeys. Yea, that'll earn it every time.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
another crazy thing: if you lose your AirBNB account and you "depended" on that rental income to pay your mortgage, YOU ARE FUCKED. There is no other game in town. Everyone uses airbnb now, there is no real competition for private nightly room/house rental. kinda crazy.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Running an Airbnb out of your home while you are living there seems incredibly awkward.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I was impartial until she started asking about monkeys.

GUILTY

and lol @ her story claiming they called her names. Nothing about their constitution suggests that unless it came after she started asking about monkeys. Yea, that'll earn it every time.
Shit is so casual, that you know she says worse behind doors

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
But things didn't seem right when they arrived at the Upper East Side home late Friday. Although the listing was advertised as an entire-unit rental, they discovered it was a shared home, Simpson said.
Yeah because in NYC it's illegal to rent out a place for less then 30 days unless the residents live there or some shit like that. I don't blame them for not knowing but they got dupped cus the owners sure as fuck new that when they put up on airBNB. Assholes of the highest magnitude

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Time to fuck this woman life over. You can't get away with racist remarks like that. The problem with society today is that there is no consequence when someone says something stupid like this. I m fortunate that no one has ever said anything racist to me(most likely because I m feared like Al Capone), but if they do, they are sure to get a roundhouse or capoeira kick to face to knock the stupid right out.

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it this morning. I've never booked an Air BnB but racist cellphone videos have convinced me to never even try it. Don't even want to risk it and have to deal with that.
Eh, it's really not a big deal and this is coming from a black dude who has booked everywhere from in Texas to Taiwan. There are racists everywhere, but the overwhelming majority of experiences will be positive

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly reminds me of when i see so much silicon valley shit and instantly know how it will not work for marginalized people.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of boyfriend sends his girlfriend upstairs if she feels unsafe? Calling bs on her

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Eh, it's really not a big deal and this is coming from a black dude who has booked everywhere from in Texas to Taiwan. There are racists everywhere, but the overwhelming majority of experiences will be positive
That's how it is with most things but knowing my luck, my first would be the one. Maybe I'll try it one day. It would be in the back of my mind the whole booking process.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Shit is so casual, that you know she says worse behind doors

That part. It was like she had it locked and loaded for months and couldn't WAIT to use it. Finally saw her opportunity and fired off with a smoothness that's only reserved for racists like her. Didn't even stutter or pause or nothing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Getting it out of the way.

"But is cAlLIng bLacK gUYS moNKEyS ReALLLY RACisT THoUgH? TwO SidES to EVErY sToRY. as YOU kNow, I'm nOT RaCist BUt"

Lady very clearly says more than a few colorful words about black people considering how casually she called them monkeys.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
That part. It was like she had it locked and loaded for months and couldn't WAIT to use it. Finally saw her opportunity and fired off with a smoothness that's only reserved for racists like her. Didn't even stutter or pause or nothing.
Like she was giving somebody the time or weather

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
another crazy thing: if you lose your AirBNB account and you "depended" on that rental income to pay your mortgage, YOU ARE FUCKED. There is no other game in town. Everyone uses airbnb now, there is no real competition for private nightly room/house rental. kinda crazy.

There is a gay version of AirBNB that I almost used when I went to NYC. I actually would prefer to use that service to make sure I feel welcomed just in case of any bigots.

Oct 28, 2017
Having a disagreement about the rental is fine but the way she drops that "monkey" in the middle of the conversation is just...wow! The fuck is wrong with folks, basic human respect.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I love how threatened she feels while her boyfriend is downstairs and she's standing in the middle of them and just casually calls them monkeys. Like, GTFOH with that shit.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Getting it out of the way.

a8IthGG.png

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The more of these stories that come out, the more I distance myself from ever booking an AirBnb. Rather just pay extra for a hotel.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I was like "this could be a misunderstanding when both parties have a point" until that racist monkey comment. She lost all arguments and should be, as was, kicked from the system. No matter if you have a point, if your guests misbehaved, you are in the wrong if you do that.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, story is silly if they really cared they would have forewarned these guys that they live in the house as well. And noise after a certain time would suck.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I watched the 2nd video first and was thinking, hmm, well two sides of a story... then watched the first movie...

Yeeeeeeeeeah... she is fucked.

And good from AirBnB to act as quick.

Nov 17, 2017
Disappointing to see a person of color saying shit like this but I'm not surprised something like this happened with an airbnb. I always worry about it myself but I've been fortunate so far.

Her calling them monkeys was just "unfortunate", he says. The boyfriend is just as bad if that wasn't already apparent.

Clearly they both are pretty open with their racist views around each other without how casually she said it and how easily he glosses over it in his defense.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Saying that shit while you are looking at two dudes filming. What an idiot, get deleted

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I mean... she is also a minority! Fuck man we need to stick together. It is always disappointing to see racist shit come from other oppressed people.

Also makes me never wanna try airbnb