• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dan Trachtenberg, who broke out with "10 Cloverfield Lane," will direct Sony Pictures' adaptation of the hit video game "Uncharted."

Trachtenberg replaces Shawn Levy, who had to depart the project due to scheduling conflicts. Sony has been hoping to work with Trachtenberg since "10 Cloverfield Lane" opened in 2016.

"Uncharted" is based on the PlayStation video game series that follows the adventures of treasure hunter Nathan Drake. The film stars Tom Holland and chronicles Drake's first encounter with the professional rogue Sullivan. Sony has been trying to get the film off the ground for quite a while, originally going with veteran actors like Mark Wahlberg. After the success of "Spider-Man: Homecoming," the studio began scouring the development slate to find Holland's next project and decided a younger Drake character would work out well.

The movie will be a co-production between Arad and Atlas Entertainment Production, and will be produced by Charles Roven, Alex Gartner, and Ari and Avi Arad. The most recent draft was penned by Jonathan Rosenberg and Mark Walker. Jonathan Kadin is overseeing the project for Columbia.

Trachtenberg is best known for directing "10 Cloverfield Lane," a secret spin-off to "Cloverfield." The movie went on to be a box office success, bringing in $110 million worldwide on a budget under $20 million. He has been developing a handful of projects since, including "Space Race" and "Portal." On the TV front, he shot the critically acclaimed "Black Mirror" episode "Playtest" starring Wyatt Russell and most recently lensed the pilot for Amazon's "The Boys," which premieres this year.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/10-cloverfield-lane-uncharted-sony-1203104743/

That's actually pretty good news, he has said he is a big fan of the franchise and TLoU too

Dan already made one good video game (short) film. He also directed the Black Mirror episode Playtest

Last edited:

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Heck yeah, can't wait for Nathan Drake to be part of the Cloverfield Universe of movies.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Cool news. But this film is going to be the modern-day Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Utterly pointless adaptation.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually pretty good news, he has said he is a big fan of the franchise and TLoU too

Kissenkopf

Nov 1, 2017
Mein Land!
"10 Cloverfield Lane" was suprisingly amazing. But "Uncharted" is not a claustrophobic intimate play like the Cloverfield movie. So, if the movie ever gets done, it would be interesting to see how he handles this different kind of movie.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Awesome, I can't wait for this movie to continue not existing due to a) development hell, and b) the fact that its filmic inspirations are so apparent, retranslating an Uncharted-style adventure into a movie would make it seem so utterly rote and cliche.

Geek

Nov 8, 2017
That makes him director #5!

Neil Burger
Seth Gordon
David O Russell
Shawn Levy
Dan Trachtenberg

This movie is definitely going to happen this time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Dan already made one good video game (short) film. He also directed the Black Mirror episode Playtest

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Sony's next big box office hit next to Venom and Jumanji, and will also be the second good/great video game movie next to Detective Pikachu
MARK MY WORDS
MARK MY WORDS
Loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, excited for the prospects of this movie now, while I wasn't when Shawn Levy was attached
Now cast Bryan Cranston as Sully you cowards!

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wasn't this guy on the Bombcast once? He's one of us.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US.

Maybe he shouldn't be directing this.

Oct 30, 2017
Dan Trachtenberg is too good for this. Let video games be video games, let cinema be cinema, and let Dan Trachtenberg exercise his Hitchcockian-tension-building-skills aaaaaanywhere else.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's next big box office hit next to Venom and Jumanji, and will also be the second good/great video game movie next to Detective Pikachu
MARK MY WORDS
MARK MY WORDS
Loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, excited for the prospects of this movie now, while I wasn't when Shawn Levy was attached
Now cast Bryan Cranston as Sully you cowards!

We already know how well he can say "goddamn", so that should be an easy audition.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. Not particularly excited for an Uncharted movie but at least it's in good hands.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Great news, I quite liked 10 Clovefield Lane and he seems to be a fan of the games as well.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the directors so far, Dan is the one with the most promise, due to one having grown up with games, being a fan of the series, and having actually made one video game short film and made the game-influenced episode Playtest

Compared that to the directors of...Night at the Museum and Real Steel, Divergent and Limitless, Silver Linings Playbook and The Fighter, Bay Watch and Horrible Bosses

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm in.

ioGGd8Z.gif

not sure about the holland casting but i'll take it!

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Dan is such a cool dude. I hope it works out for him. I just don't think Uncharted has a story that translates well to the big screen.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
My boy Danny T getting some sweet gigs! Stoked for him, and excited to see what movie comes out of this.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I really hate videogame movie "news" cuz it's so often bullshit in some form.

Always plagued with delays, cancellations, new writers, new directors, promises, etc, etc.

I never know what to believe. I take everything with a grain of salt.

Assuming this is actually true, it's good news. I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. It has little in common with Uncharted but that's okay. The director has talent.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Why do we need a uncharted movie, though? The game is the movie. One thing Sony does well, is capturing that movie feel in their games. Its so good, that i dont feel some of their franchises need movie adaptations. I would like to see a god of war movie, though again the video games capture that movie feel already.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Dan is great, I remember him well from his TRS days. I'm glad he managed to break in into the Hollywood.