• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can this get throttled please my god. This is probably the single most annoying thing I see here, and I see it a lot. What the fuck does that even mean, for real? You know the basis for this entire forum is consumerism right? Aside from some devs and such (who I would certainly bet myyyyy bottom dollar are also consumers), we're all here because we love buying and playing video games.

It just sounds ridiculous. It doesn't make your point more valid, it just makes you sound like you want your point to be more valid than it is. You're not entitled to stronger opinion because you buy shit like every other person ever here ever.

"As an internet user..."

"As someone that ingests food..."

"As a sentient being..."

This is probably a bad thread but I've had a terrible day and I've just seen this phrase too many times just today alone, let alone throughout being here in general. So I, as a consumer of ResetEra, am sorry.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
It's usually used in response to threads focused on how certain things will impact the industry or make money for giant corporations so the preface "as a consumer" means that the post is framed around what is best for that individual poster's consumption of content without regard for what is and is not profitable for someone else.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many people I see on this forum argue as if they're shareholders of their-favorite-platform-holder, I don't think it's surprising to have to remind others that as consumers, our interests are different.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's got to be pointed out because sometimes, from some replies you'd read, you'd think some people are investors rather than consumers in the market.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Considering how many people I see on this forum argue as if they're shareholders of their-favorite-platform-holder, I don't think it's surprising to have to remind others that as consumers, our interests are different.

I've seen people act as shareholders of the forum like "We were promised stock options, the CEO is lining his pockets. Where is the accountability?"

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a consumer, it means I shouldn't be expected to be emotionally invested in business trying to sell me a product.

Nov 3, 2017
Can this get throttled please my god. This is probably the single most annoying thing I see here, and I see it a lot. What the fuck does that even mean, for real? You know the basis for this entire forum is consumerism right? Aside from some devs and such (who I would certainly bet myyyyy bottom dollar are also consumers), we're all here because we love buying and playing video games.

It just sounds ridiculous. It doesn't make your point more valid, it just makes you sound like you want your point to be more valid than it is. You're not entitled to stronger opinion because you buy shit like every other person ever here ever.

"As an internet user..."

"As a sentient being..."

This is probably a bad thread but I've had a terrible day and I've just seen this phrase too many times just today alone, let alone throughout being here in general. So I, as a consumer of ResetEra, am sorry.
I totally get where you're coming from tbh. Gaming culture in general excessively uses this term and it's annoying

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"WE CONSUMERS MUST STAND AGAINST THE TYRANNY OF SJW STAR WARS"

"SJW DEVS ATTACK GAMERS AND CONSUMERS!"

"WE CONSUMERS DEMAND GAMER RIGHTS"

Have a drinking game on youtube recommendations. I dare ya'll.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
As a Marcus Fenix... shut the fuck up, Fahz.

edit: Sorry about your bad day OP. I had a really bad one last week.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Because sometimes people have to be reminded that in the end, we are consumers. We are allowed to talk about games without needing to be part of the industry, and there's so much business secrecy that sometimes we have to just let shit go because there will never be a clear answer. I shouldn't be forced into drama because I liked a video game.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Oct 28, 2019
I was referring to the fact the usual alt right catering crowd especially loves the word.
Would you consider this forum alt right cause it gets used here a lot lot too. It's right there on the OP. They said "here". "As a consumer" usually proceeds some bullshit disguised as consumer rights. Maybe not everytime, but enough of the time to be transparent.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
OP, do you work for Nintendo/Blizzard/Sony/Microsoft/Apple?

Because this thread is anti-consumer.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
PRmzk8L.png

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have to use agile project management? You have to write your "stories" (tasks) in a similar format. "As a end user I need to know how to properly sort this list." It annoys me to no end.

I'm worried that's where this come from...

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Idk a lot of people on this forum come off as if they are CEOs of these companies.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I think its ONLY used in specific arguments that involve quite a bit of corporate defending tbh, if it was used too much to a point where its used unnecessarily at the start of every argument on a consumer forum such as this then iam sure a lot of other people other than you would notice this. But man you know how much people absolutely love to defend corporations with tooth and nail these days so its best to use it whenever you're in that sort of situation IMO.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
As a quote said:

"As an internet user..."

"As a sentient being..."

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
As a consumer I could go for a cheese burger right about now.
Yes, but as a consumer, are you interested in... How McDonald's, Freddy's and In-N-Out compare in monthly hamburger sales numbers? Cheering for the Wendy's exclusivity deal on the Baconator? Or how the next-gen Burger King Whopper secret sauce will cause it to dominate other lesser hamburgers?

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but as a consumer, are you interested in... How McDonald's, Freddy's and In-N-Out compare in monthly hamburger sales numbers? Cheering for the Wendy's exclusivity deal on the Baconator? Or how the next-gen Burger King Whopper secret sauce will cause it to dominate other lesser hamburgers?

right in the money. There are people here that think they are the CEO's of such companies or they have the majority of stakes.