• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It was more of an issue last generation where a lot of protagonists had a lot gruff white dude a lit kr which looked similar it was a meme I think this generation doesn't have this issue at least as much

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
Generic protags are great, they dont distract me from the game. I usually skip all story in games. Only gameplay is important everything else is a fluff.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Probably more suitable for another thread, since this is more related to race and games, but, as a bissexual, the character in media I most identified with so far is Lionel from Dear White People. I know he is gay, but I always felt people around me tried to pigeonhole me into what they saw as the gay stereotype, the very effeminate man, someone who has to know all about pop music and divas and so on. It was nice to see a character that seemed to be in the same spot as me. It kinda gave me confidence to be myself when I was feeling the pressure of trying to be something other people wanted me to be.

I guess what I'm trying to say, from the point of view of someone who is LGBT, is that representation comes in a variety of ways, and it can matter a lot to someone, helping them feel comfortable with who they are, and where they are. Having those kinds of characters be in the main cast of major games could go a long way to helping those people.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That white dudes take offense to the reality of the advantages/privilege that demographic gets?

That white PEOPLE take offense to being called white because they prefer to be seen as default.
No. "White" is a descriptive term. What many white people have issues with is how the term seems to exclusively be rolled out in conversations for negative reasons, to dimsiss POVs or as a general accusatory term, but then they have to accept it with all the shit baggage people inject it with or else they are secretely aiming for that sweet "default" status.

I'm baffled I need to point this out. Like, this shit is pretty obvious.

edit:

ffs you had people in the Serena thread straight up asking members if they were white males in order to know how seriously their arguments should be taken.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The generic white male protagonist criticism has next to no value in critiquing an individual work, but it's an excellent tool for critiquing an entire industry that insists on doing the same exclusionary thing over and over again. Just like the Bechdel Test.
Much better said than my post.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble thinking of games starring blonde or red headed white dudes. I noticed this when playing Wolfenstein and seeing BJ with blonde hair and blue eyes.

I always felt BJ being like that was part of the irony of the very model of Aryan Perfection being a guy from jewish heritage that is slaughtering Nazis left and right.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
After getting a PM demanding I further explain my distaste and worry for the protagonist of RDR2, it struck me that any time people complain about how generic a protagonist is and that protag is a white dude, there's a subset of posters who get really indignant about those complaints. It happened with Days Gone's Bikerman#334, and now it's happening with RDR2's guy.

We've all seen the Generic White Man protag collage at some point. Indeed, there's been an abundance of nondescript, designed-by-committee white dudes as the protags in games. It seemed really prevalent in the mid 2000s on into the early 2010s.

There's been plenty of white male protagonists who've been distinctive and memorable—I don't recall seeing anyone complain about any white GTA (or rockstar, ore-RDR2 reveal) protagonist being generic. However, when there's another generic white dude protag, it's even worse because it's only reinforcing that stereotype.

How do you feel about the generic white guy player character trend and the negativity surrounding the stereotype? If you're a white guy, do you feel persecuted or shamed by it, and how come, if so?

seems too early to dismiss the protags of RDR2 and Days Gone as generic. Also feels disrespectful to the creators of said games at this stage.

You can take an issue with them being white and not what you or whole of others want to see in the games you play.

For me, personally, well written protags are a joy to play with, white or not.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I mean, I'd quite happily take a generic black female lead.
The way I see it, generic is generic. Generic is uninteresting, black or white, male or female.

I mean I see your point, don't get me wrong, I'm just talking about it from a very specific perspective. Wider representation is just as important, of course, it just wouldn't serve much of a purpose for the story other than checking off that "representation" box if it was still an uninteresting character.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of uplifting "equality" via the diminishment of one particular race/color seems counterintuitive. We can have games with diverse leading characters and even character creators without having to completely shit on "white males" or wipe them away from all future games. Some of you are becoming that which you despise.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bored, but I'm sort of tired of video game protagonists in general. I wish every game had a character creator. :(

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The idea of uplifting "equality" via the diminishment of one particular race/color seems counterintuitive. We can have games with diverse leading characters and even character creators without having to completely shit on "white males" or wipe them away from all future games. Some of you are becoming that which you despise.

When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Asking for more diversity and less dominance of white dudes everywhere is not "shitting on white males". It's just asking the mean kid taking up 90% of the toys to share with others for once.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The way I see it, generic is generic. Generic is uninteresting, black or white, male or female.

I mean I see your point, don't get me wrong, I'm just talking about it from a very specific perspective. Wider representation is just as important, of course, it just wouldn't serve much of a purpose for the story other than checking off that "representation" box if it was still an uninteresting character.

But the question is, when was the last time a game featured an uninteresting black female protagonist to even check a box (especially if she is generic character who has little to no positive bearing on the story)? I get your point too and while this is absolutely a valid concern, introducing changes like these to a society that contains predominantly American white veterans of the industry and the market who have been the incumbent for a long time, it will ALWAYS be perceived as "forced diversity" (i.e. threat to their racial identity). As such, it is better to break a few eggs to get things started than to never have tried at all.

I just finished watching this video named "European History is Not White History - A response to Mark Collett" and I must say that I have been quite reductive at times with regards to this issue when it comes just colour. To portray things more accurately, generic white man is essentially a woefully dull character who is most likely american, white, heterosexual, one dimensional and might even embody certain characteristics of toxic and/or hyper masculinity.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The crazy thing is that even among white leads there isn't that much diversity. Where are my curly haired white dudes?
Or long-haired ones (in non-Anime games). And I mean real long hair, not Solid Snake/Geralt "long" hair. Gabriel Belmont in LoS2 is the only mainstream western example that comes to my mind.
I'll at least give Japanese protags that much, they do have a variety of hairstyles... even if, sadly, it's often incredibly stupid ones. xD

Same for me. It's a stereotypical male character look in dystopian games, and it's starting to become tiresome. You're telling me you can find an abundance of bullets and gasoline in the post-apocalyptic world, but not a razor to shave your face?
Now now, leave the stubble alone!

dcx4610

Nov 13, 2017
I never picture myself as the character I'm playing in games. Even RPGs. I don't care about the race or gender. I just want interesting characters.

That said, there is definitely a status quo and white male is still the default model used for a lot of games. Companies are terrified of alienating key demographics.

If you are in Japan, the Japanese aren't going to cater to black men in their marketing or products. They have a main demographic. I think the same thing always happened in the States with whites.

As the demographic continues to change however, I think you'll be seeing that reflected in games. Companies just want to make money and they are always going to target the largest audience. That audience is radically changing though.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nah, the issue is with the reproduction of white supremacy and patriarchy. As long as Game developers and publishers keep centering white dudes, they're reinforcing sexist and racist norms in society
Nah, that's just your crazy scenario you developed in your head as a means to some big conspiracy where Game Developers are trying to push this world view. It's not that sinister or evil as you like to think.

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
Playing say a black woman in RDR2 would certainly be interesting, but it would have to be an entirely different game.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
As an artist myself I am severely alarmed at how few character designs these days pass a simple fucking silhouette test. Things are so damned non-distinct these days its painful. Thats without touching upon the shooter craze of generic soldier/space marine. Try throwing up the silhouettes of thirty of those guys from various games and watch people struggle to guess them right.

You wanna be iconic? Make something that holds up to a silhouette test. Its a basic part of every art students education and every artist in general can attest to its truth. Games have ignored this heavily for awhile in many top projects.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that's just your crazy scenario you developed in your head as a means to some big conspiracy where Game Developers are trying to push this world view. It's not that sinister or evil as you like to think.

Wut? It doesn't need to be some big conspiracy that devs/publishers are all actively coordinating. They can play a part in contributing to the issue without realizing it or trying to do so. Or they simply do it out of misguided attempts to reach more success.

Unless you're trying to argue video games and the gaming industry don't have racism and male-centrism problems. If that's what you're getting at, then forget I said anything

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wut? It doesn't need to be some big conspiracy that devs/publishers are all actively coordinating. They can play a part in contributing to the issue without realizing it or trying to do so. Or they simply do it out of misguided attempts to reach more success.

Unless you're trying to argue video games and the gaming industry don't have racism and male-centrism problems. If that's what you're getting at, then forget I said anything
No, I get what you are saying -- but if he means that the industry is unconsciously feeding into something bigger, then I understand.

But I do feel like this issue is way blown out of proportion nowadays, I think there is a good balance in games released now. It was something that was as it was, people voiced they want it another way, so the industry slowly adapted. I don't understand how people get so up in arms about it... there was never any ill will towards anyone, it was all just growing pains of a young industry.

Look through the games of 2018 and 2019, the amount that exclusively star a White Male is not very big. Acting as if this is an ongoing issue that is pushed by the "WHITE PATRIARCHY" is insanely ignorant.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
No, I get what you are saying -- but if he means that the industry is unconsciously feeding into something bigger, then I understand.

But I do feel like this issue is way blown out of proportion nowadays, I think there is a good balance in games released now. It was something that was as it was, people voiced they want it another way, so the industry slowly adapted. I don't understand how people get so up in arms about it... there was never any ill will towards anyone, it was all just growing pains of a young industry.

Look through the games of 2018 and 2019, the amount that exclusively star a White Male is not very big. Acting as if this is an ongoing issue that is pushed by the "WHITE PATRIARCHY" is insanely ignorant.

There's no universal standard for blowing things "within proportion." And considering how anytime there's stuff in the news like black people on Twitch getting bombarded with racist emotes and messages or any woman who criticises a game publically gets rape threats, they are universally met with "shocked.gif," I don't think we've reached the "blown out of proportion" level just yet.

The gatekeeping of what kind of ethnicity or race a protagonist gets to be without the devs getting harassed and accused of "forcing" diversity into their game is just one aspect of those grander racist/sexist issues. Just because not every last protagonist this year is a white guy doesn't mean the people talking about it should be forced to shut up. If you can acknowledge how dangerous racism and sexism are and how peoples' lives and livelihood are literally at risk—even just within the gaming space—then you can acknowledge the worth of the discussion, and how it's actually not ridiculous to say "reinforcing sexist and racist norms in society." It's just true. There's nothing overly dramatic about that.

Jamesb0ndjr

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I posted this in the Day's Gone Art thread but noticed this may be of relevance here. The following are two quotes that occurred in the thread. My post follows them.

"PREACH!!!, i just really dislike his looks... so generic it's actually kind of offensive. It honestly kills any hype for me, i just can't empathize with him.

Ding Ding Ding.

I want to like the Protag (game looks great though) but I feel like if the apocalypse wasn't happening he'd call football players ungrateful thugs for not standing for the pledge. Gives me unwelcome feelings in the whole game actually from the characters we've seen so far."[End Quote]

This really bugs me. Maybe this isn't the place for a rant, but I have to speak my mind.

1) To say any individual character is generic simply based on how they look is such a closed minded and utterly stupid deduction that it borders on racism in this case. Not only is it a deduction that a white male in biker attire cannot have complex character or history, but it also shows that you, judging a book by its cover, think less of an individual because of how they look. Do you walk down the street and pass people thinking, "OMG another generic white person, I can't relate to them." You are basing complexity of character on the color of someone's skin. Talk about racism. This leads to point 2.

2) You can't relate to someone you perceive as generic? AKA You can't relate to someone who isn't like you? Personally, those are the very people you should be coming in contact with (or should be playing as) so you can LEARN to relate. Isn't the point that we are all humans and no matter what our color, situation, origin, preferences, we have the common thread of being human and therefore can find common ground. The fact that you "can't relate" only shows me that he is the very person you should be playing as in order to expand your obviously small world view.

3) The second quote deducts so much about an individual, again based on simply what he looks like. Quote: Gives me unwelcome feelings in the whole game actually from the characters we've seen so far.As someone from Oregon, there are certainly bikers and I would imagine that over by Bend, where this is based, that there are people who dress like this guy. If anything it places him in a world so he fits within reality. Apparently though, simply being white and dressing like him automatically makes him have certain views. I don't dress like him and am not in a biker gang, but I certainly have no issues playing as him because it's his story, not mine.

4) Whether or not the main character is a male or white or whatever, the most important thing in any creator's story is that the characters fit. So far, this character seems to fit within the world they have built. A character can be poorly developed or not have compelling motivations or be poorly acted, etc etc. None of these things leads to a character being "generic". This word as you use it loses all meaning. Generic cannot be perceived from the surface and I would argue that it is rarely found within the animus of most characters. The only time it could become "generic" is if most characters had the same exact motivation for taking the same exact actions as other characters.

5) By all means, if the game comes out and the character has poor motivations or isn't believable within the context of the story, etc etc. or isn't even interesting then criticize. But the oft pled "generic" term is so over played, so simplistic, and so lazy that it makes you look stupid at best and racist at worst.

Thanks for your time!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As an artist myself I am severely alarmed at how few character designs these days pass a simple fucking silhouette test. Things are so damned non-distinct these days its painful. Thats without touching upon the shooter craze of generic soldier/space marine. Try throwing up the silhouettes of thirty of those guys from various games and watch people struggle to guess them right.

You wanna be iconic? Make something that holds up to a silhouette test. Its a basic part of every art students education and every artist in general can attest to its truth. Games have ignored this heavily for awhile in many top projects.

This is very interesting to read, thanks. I do wonder if the silhouette test is more agreeable when working with non-humanoid and human characters that feature cartoonish proportions (like Fortnite or Team Fortress).

Gardog

Apr 17, 2018
Any race of human male protagonist is boring until proven otherwise.

Anthropomorhpic animals are the future.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Obviously not all white dudes protagonist are generic, I'm playing Max Payne for example, but it does feel a lot of games just throw one there because they couldn't come up with anything, like Rage. They should at least let you create your own character.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm honestly so bored with white male leads (generic or otherwise) I've skipped games because of them. Not always to my benefit (not being interested in Geralt is why it took me years to get into Witcher 3) but, like... there's SO many games out there, and they're so time consuming, that if I'm gonna be with someone for 50+ hours I don't want to be bored with them before I've started playing. After hundreds if not thousands of hours with white male protagonists I'm just bored of them. If they're not grandfathered in (Mario, Link, Batman) it takes a lot to get me interested, and, speaking of those characters, I'd be pumped to play as Peach, Zelda, and Batgirl next go around.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not all white dudes protagonist are generic, I'm playing Max Payne for example, but it does feel a lot of games just throw one there because they couldn't come up with anything, like Rage. They should at least let you create your own character.

Yeah, there are too many cookie cutter (safe, moist) characters that may as well be customizable. It does no one any favors to treat "white 30-something dude" as the default to the point that design becomes synonymous with "generic."

Are you sure YOU want to resurrect this thread?

With infinite alts, one has nothing to fear

A Dog

Banned
May 17, 2018
If you skip a game because of the main character's skin color or gender, you may have a problem that extends beyond your hobby.

metaltrain

Alt-Account.
Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Yeah, there are too many cookie cutter (safe, moist) characters that may as well be customizable. It does no one any favors to treat "white 30-something dude" as the default to the point that design becomes synonymous with "generic."

With infinite alts, one has nothing to fear
there should be two categories

generic white guy protagonists

and Rockstar games white guy protagonists

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
i have seen a few people say they won't play RDR 2 cause the protagonist is a white guy too
Do you really think these two things are equivalent? That refusing to play a game because the protagonist is too samey as those before him, is the same thing as refusing to play a game because the protagonist is black?

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
I don't mind the inherent exterior looks of a person and I'm not a deranged extremist. "Generic videogame protagonist" will be generic regardless of skin color, sex, gender, orientation, religion and so on. So this "White guy" part of it is not needed.

That said, I guess that the part of that specific skin color and sex being the dominant one in the industry is an understandable reason for anyone to think that it might be an additional touch for the "Genericness" of a character, but it's such a minimal part of it that it might as well not be a problem IMO.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't play many western games so it's not a problem for me. Or maybe, it's the reason I don't play many western games. I dunno.

metaltrain

Alt-Account.
Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Do you really think these two things are equivalent? That refusing to play a game because the protagonist is too samey as those before him, is the same thing as refusing to play a game because the protagonist is black?
its ridiculous to say that their "samey" though, especially Rockstar's characters

you can't tell me that Niko Bellic, Michael, Trevor, John Marston are all the "same" characters, even though their all "white".

Rockstar makes interesting protagonists