• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
What the fuck is this shit? You're purposefully being inconsiderate based on your own personal belief that people are reading too much into something. .....It's almost like climate change has this giant aspect about it not being read into enough, for decades.

People 100% ARE reading too much into it, and it's because of animosity momentum. It's really, very much, no big deal.

Oct 27, 2017
People 100% ARE reading too much into it, and it's because of animosity momentum. It's really, very much, no big deal.
You know maybe I have been reading too much into why highways were chosen to go through black neighborhoods where billboards like these can be found, and where poorer families of color carry a disproportionate amount of the burden from pollution seen in their higher levels of negative health outcomes. Maybe I am thinking about how a billboard stating "Climate Change is Good" for the sake of satire and marketing is just rubbing a thumb in all our faces. I should just listen to some good old pop music and embrace capitalism.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
You know maybe I have been reading too much into why highways were chosen to go through black neighborhoods where billboards like these can be found, and where poorer families of color carry a disproportionate amount of the burden from pollution seen in their higher levels of negative health outcomes. I should just listen to some good old pop music and embrace capitalism.

I can't believe Grimes went back in time to implement racist zoning laws in order to promote her future album and is also sleeping with Elon Musk!

I don't mean to dismiss your concerns about the real affects of climate change, but I do mean to say that Grimes doing a bit wouldn't be as enraging to some people if she wasn't romantically involved with someone they dislike.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
It's cringey, misogynistic, and gross that you guys keep trying to define/dismiss/dunk on her based on the person she's in a relationship with

Happened in the pregnancy thread too. Not a good look.

Kinda agree. I don't think there's been a single Grimes thread without a mention of Musk in the first few posts. As if she isn't an individual anymore and just a reflection of her relationship with Musk/an extension of him. Very disconcerting.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
I'm criticizing both to be blunt. Art does not exist in a vacuum. Who you are, who you associate with, your 'living situation' absolutely does matter when criticizing art (or even your art's edge-lord marketing). Its why no one is going to stand for some white suburban kid rapping about the "streets" and dropping the 'n-word' every few bars. It's not that kid's place.

And I'm sorry, but it is not the place of a billionaire to be playing in the space of "isn't climate change great? I am Thanos, evil robot lady! This is Ironic dont @ me!" when you have all the resources in the world at your fingertips, and will be able to avoid the adverse effects of climate change due to your husbands resources. It ALL matters. It all counts in criticism.

So the real lesson is that women should be careful who they have sex with because they give men license to judge their art based on whose penis has been inside of them. Got it.

OP
OP
Oct 28, 2017
So the real lesson is that women should be careful who they have sex with because they give men license to judge their art based on whose penis has been inside of them. Got it.
If what you're taking away from my posts is that I'm making any real commentary on their relationship based on sex/gender, I don't even know what to say to you. You're the one bringing that to the table.

I don't care if Grimes is Elon's lover, mother, brother, whatever. My point is that when you have a close relationship with someone with those obscene resources (especially a relationship close enough that they are also in some part YOUR resources), your art needs to be viewed thru that lens. There is no escaping the people you choose to closely associate with.

And not for nothing, who you date DOES matter. If some male musician I enjoyed got together with (say) a noted anti-vaxxer? It's going to affect how I view their art. Who someone chooses to associate with, is a direct reflection of someone, and yes their art.

Last edited:

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funny story: we named our daughter Claire Elise without knowing Grimes even existed. Whoops!

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
David Bowie wasn't in a relationship with a libertarian billionaire capitalist so coming from him it would not come off nearly as tone deaf

Also, lol at comparing Bowie to Grimes. Not even close
I mean i don't want to go there but bowie doesn't exactly have a clean record. Even if we leave the statutory stuff to the side there was also that time he did bunch of coke and ironically flirted with fascism

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
She's real stupid.
pitchfork.com

The Tale of Grimes' Insane 2009 Houseboat Adventure: The Best Thing You'll Read All Day

Claire Boucher and a friend tried to sail down the Mississippi River on a DIY houseboat loaded with live chickens and 20 pounds of potatoes
Claire Boucher and a friend tried to sail down the Mississippi River on a DIY houseboat loaded with live chickens and 20 pounds of potatoes
That's not nearly enough potatoes.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
If what you're taking away from my posts is that I'm making any real commentary on their relationship based on sex/gender, I don't even know what to say to you. You're the one bringing that to the table.

I don't care if Grimes is Elon's lover, mother, brother, whatever. My point is that when you have a close relationship with someone with those obscene resources (to they level that they are also in some part YOUR resources), your art needs to be viewed thru that lens. There is no escaping the people you choose to closely associate with.

You can choose to judge the art both ways though right? View it through the lens of her access to money (don't get it twisted, she had tons of access before even meeting Musk) and consider how that might affect her artistic process, but you can also view it as her own creation that has other, much more effective influences you may not have known about much less considered.

What do you think is a larger influence on the character of Miss Anthropocene? Her relationship with Elon Musk, or Anthropogenic Climate Change?

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Endless cynicism fucking sucks. I'm just so tired of everyone trying to be sardonic all the time and pretending that nothing can be done, especially when it is someone who can do something.

Nov 17, 2017
It's cringey, misogynistic, and gross that you guys keep trying to define/dismiss/dunk on her based on the person she's in a relationship with

Happened in the pregnancy thread too. Not a good look.
Is this all that different from criticizing Melania Trump and her anti-cyber bullying campaign when she's married to Donald Trump of all people? I don't know if you can just look at things in a vacuum here.

OP
OP
Oct 28, 2017
You can choose to judge the art both ways though right? View it through the lens of her access to money (don't get it twisted, she had tons of access before even meeting Musk) and consider how that might affect her artistic process, but you can also view it as her own creation that has other, much more effective influences you may not have known about much less considered.

What do you think is a larger influence on the character of Miss Anthropocene? Her relationship with Elon Musk, or Anthropogenic Climate Change?

I think that influence be damned. When you have the resources of a billionaire at your disposal, a "cheeky character taking the piss out of climate change" should be on the table for intense criticism. Especially when it's contextless marketing like this (which was the original point).

And again, she's not a singularity. She exists within a group of family and friends that includes Elon. He plays in this exact same space with garbage like the Cybertruck, so yeah I'd say they both influence each-other artistically. Using the aesthetic and design language of dystopia as a plaything.

And here's the big plot twist for this thread. I like her music! I think in a vacuum it's fabulous. But that's not how art (and especially it's marketing) should be viewed. It exists in a wider world. And in this wider world she is the benefactor of an obscene amount of wealth that to be honest should color everything she does for everyone.

(As someone said above, you don't get to be Melania Trump and claim you're "anti-bulling". You don't get to be married to a billionaire and also have people come along with you on an ironic-climate change romp. No matter how well executed the musicianship is.) - Leaving in for transparency sake, but agree this is a false equivalence

Last edited:

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Endless cynicism fucking sucks. I'm just so tired of everyone trying to be sardonic all the time and pretending that nothing can be done, especially when it is someone who can do something.
Is this all that different from criticizing Melania Trump and her anti-cyber bullying campaign when she's married to Donald Trump of all people? I don't know if you can just look at things in a vacuum here.

The irony here being all the criticism she's receiving for who she's dating.... Yet the person she's dating has done more and is doing more to battle climate change than basically any other human on the planet.... And that's really not even as much of an opinion up for debate as it's just a cold hard fact as much as the anti Elon/Tesla hating weirdos on this forum will never in a million years pull their heads out of their own self righteous asses long enough to admit.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I think that influence be damned. When you have the resources of a billionaire at your disposal, a "cheeky character taking the piss out of climate change" should be on the table for intense criticism. Especially when it's contextless marketing like this (which was the original point).

And again, she's not a singularity. She exists within a group of family and friends that includes Elon. He plays in this exact same space with garbage like the Cybertruck, so yeah I'd say they both influence each-other artistically. Using the aesthetic and design language of dystopia as a plaything.

And here's the big plot twist for this thread. I like her music! I think in a vacuum it's fabulous. But that's not how art (and especially it's marketing) should be viewed. It exists in a wider world. And in this wider world she is the benefactor of an obscene amount of wealth that to be honest should color everything she does for everyone.

As someone said above, you don't get to be Melania Trump and claim you're "anti-bulling". You don't get to be married to a billionaire and also have people come along with you on an ironic-climate change romp. No matter how well executed the musicianship is.

I'd say that "a cheeky character taking the piss out of climate change" is a pretty broad interpretation of the character. Not that I think it's at all novel or interesting, Miss Anthropocene clearly isn't meant to "take the piss" out of climate change. She finds the issue very serious and has fed that into her art to create this... high-school level criticism of humanity.

Also, comparing this to Melania's "Be Best" campaign is a little odd, considering Elon has done more to normalize zero emission vehicles than anyone else.

OP
OP
Oct 28, 2017
IAlso, comparing this to Melania's "Be Best" campaign is a little odd, considering Elon has done more to normalize zero emission vehicles than anyone else.

And you know what? Fair point. Not the fairest comparison. That's just my hatred of billionaires as a concept showing. I'll retract that.

My main thing here is that when you're part of the ruling class that can avoid the adverse effects of climate change based on bank account alone (and make no mistake, they both very much so are). You don't get to peddle in cynicism and high school level irony anymore. At least not without scathing criticism. And they're both incredibly guilty of that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As someone said above, you don't get to be Melania Trump and claim you're "anti-bulling". You don't get to be married to a billionaire and also have people come along with you on an ironic-climate change romp. No matter how well executed the musicianship is.
These don't feel equivalent when one husband is actively contributing towards bullying and the other is doing things heavily in favour of combatting climate related issues.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
What was the turning point for Grimes here at Era? I really enjoy her music and nothing really has changed for me. I don't recall her saying or doing anything terrible to anyone. If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, but I thought she was somewhat of a darling on this forum.

The "global warming is good" is from a character she's playing. It seems most get that in this thread but are upset, anyway.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
My main thing here is that when you're part of the ruling class that can avoid the adverse effects of climate change based on bank account alone (and make no mistake, they both very much so are). You don't get to peddle in cynicism and high school level irony anymore. At least not without scathing criticism. And they're both incredibly guilty of that.

Hey, I'm not here to say that she should be insulated from criticism of her shallow as fuck art, I just got pulled into a disagreement of it being a "big deal" or even an indictment of her character.

It's a character for a concept album that will be forgotten in 6 months. The ONLY reason it's news at all is because people have a deep animosity shared between Grimes and Musk, and that is reflected in the article you linked which doesn't criticism the art so much as take jabs at her for dating a billionaire who is investing a lot of money into... fighting climate change.

I'm sure you can see why some people would find this line of criticism just as shallow as the character they're criticizing.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
What was the turning point for Grimes here at Era? I really enjoy her music and nothing really has changed for me. I don't recall her saying or doing anything terrible to anyone. If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, but I thought she was somewhat of a darling on this forum.

The "global warming is good" is from a character she's playing. It seems most get that in this thread but are upset, anyway.

Seems to be when Elon got involved.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not related to climate change or Grimes.

It just doesn't surprise me that someone that will never feel the adverse effects of oligarchy, and corporatization would be enamored with gaudy cyberpunk aesthetics.
I think it undermines your argument when you're drawing outside the lines so heavily on things - confuses it for some personal dislike of them beyond your issue with Grimes and the marketing.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Confused by this as well.

He's rich, so even tho the Cybertruck has 500k+ pre-orders and will be taking millions of gas gussling monsters off the road because it is a better product in every way while being zero emission, a move that will create enough momentum and popular sentiment to damn near be fatal blow to the oil industry in the long run... It's bad because reasons like he's rich so he is a big poo poo head.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
He's rich, so even tho the Cybertruck has 500k+ pre-orders and will be taking millions of gas gussling monsters off the road because it is a better product in every way while being zero emission, a move that will create enough momentum and popular sentiment to damn near be fatal blow to the oil industry in the long run... It's bad because reasons like he's rich so he is a big poo poo head.

Too be perfectly fair, Elon Musk is a big poo poo head. It makes it very hard to enjoy his positive impact on global emissions when you also have to consider his negative impact on US Labor Relations.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's entirely about her dating Elon. Maybe she said something about unions but I dunno.

OP
OP
Oct 28, 2017
I think it undermines your argument when you're drawing outside the lines so heavily on things - confuses it for some personal dislike of them beyond your issue with Grimes and the marketing.
Another fair point. The whole truck aesthetic thing is left field of the original point (and I obviously have no issue with the ultimate environmental goals of Tesla, just the aesthetic of that one vehicle), was just trying to clarify.

At the end of the day, I just can't get behind this "cynical kayfabe as an aesthetic" vibe, especially coming from someone that has access to more money than god. People are already getting hurt by climate change. But let's let the extremely privileged use it as a bad art school marketing project? Nah. Miss me with that. I think this thread has more or less run it's course, so I'll leave it here.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
This thread is going exactly how I expected it to here.

I was expecting it to be way more vitriolic tbh. There's usually advocations of violence in these topics, which is super edgy/chapo

You know guys, for a forum thats so gung ho about climate change, you sure seem to hate the only rich guy who's using his resources to popularize electric cars and solar panels on a global scale. Maybe he should just fuck off and live on an island instead?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Another fair point. The whole truck aesthetic thing is left field of the original point (and I have no issue with the ultimate goals of Tesla), was just trying to clarify.
I thought it was somewhat clever in the graffiti example as it's literally intended to be defaced (and thus you could legally just run up and scrawl "bad" over the "good") - but where that same ability to correct isn't there, as with the billboard, it just seems intentioned to provoke with no real underlying meaning or thought. Which, as you say, is a bit of a silly thing to throw around with nonchalance when coming from the position she is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting it to be way more vitriolic tbh. There's usually advocations of violence in these topics, which is super edgy/chapo

You know guys, for a forum thats so gung ho about climate change, you sure seem to hate the only rich guy who's using his resources to popularize electric cars and solar panels on a global scale. Maybe he should just fuck off and live on an island instead?

Elon can be an asshole. I get it.

He also got rich from PayPal and basically dumped a 50/50 split of his wealth into SpaceX and Tesla. If they go bankrupt, he'll be pretty much at zero wealth.

It's intriguing to me that he bet the farm on those two companies. He's not a CEO that just rides the wave of shareholders and then golden parachutes out. He's not a Wallstreet Guy making millions off of other peoples money adding no value to the world. He's actually making something that could push this world forward.

If Elon were to sell his holdings now, he'd lose control of the companies and possible be nabbed up by the Saudis or other groups. Time will tell if what he does with his wealth after/if he exits will be selfish. So far, he seems very dedicated to making products that are making the world better in a fight against climate change. I just don't see it as being pure evil. Problematic - sure, but I'm not sure what I would do in his position either.

That said, this thread should be about Grimes and who she is. So I apologize for diverging. She shouldn't always be attached to him and stands on her own.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Yet the person she's dating has done more and is doing more to battle climate change than basically any other human on the planet
ohDKCIO.jpg

His and his fans insistence that climate change can be solved by technological advances and venture capitalism is both wrong and exactly the kind of attitude that has brought us here to begin with.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The irony here being all the criticism she's receiving for who she's dating.... Yet the person she's dating has done more and is doing more to battle climate change than basically any other human on the planet.... And that's really not even as much of an opinion up for debate as it's just a cold hard fact as much as the anti Elon/Tesla hating weirdos on this forum will never in a million years pull their heads out of their own self righteous asses long enough to admit.
Ah yes. The billionaire who exploits workers has done so much for the environment and for mankind. Can't think of how Earth would even be spinning around if there weren't gracious kind men like Elon Musk at the top of the capitalist society working someone else's asses off to make the world a better place.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Ah yes. The billionaire who exploits workers has done so much for the environment and for mankind. Can't think of how Earth would even be spinning around if there weren't gracious kind men like Elon Musk at the top of the capitalist society working someone else's asses off to make the world a better place.

He very famously works 120 hour weeks and is married to his companies. It is very much his own ass he's working off.

Cool guess we should just use personal automotive vehicles for all eternity. Good Luck with that.

Cool the nonsensical 4th grade intellectual level what if the world was perfect in every way and made of rainbows argument of why electric vehicles are bad. Good luck with that.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool guess we should just pump gas for all eternity. Good luck with that.
Instead, let's just drive native communities to extinction through exploration of lithium mines. Then the upper classes can afford electric cars while literally nothing is done for the people in poverty because most of the capital is still in the hands of people like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. Not a genuine dilemma.

He very famously works 120 hour weeks and is married to his companies. It is very much his own ass he's working off.
Ah, yes. Now I know you're just trolling.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it looks to me like a theatrical role, this looks to me due to the name she gives herself like an evident vilain and and the poem content, i think that on contrary she's criticizing all this, she says humanity is destroying itself and thats good to "the poet of destruction" that approves what humanity is doing etc
So i think grimes in reality is saying humanity is destroying itself and global warming is bad.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
it looks to me like a theatrical role, this looks to me due to the name she gives herself like an evident vilain and and the poem content, i think that on contrary she's criticizing all this, she says humanity is destroying itself and thats good to "the poet of destruction" that approves what humanity is doing etc
So i think grimes in reality is saying humanity is destroying itself and global warming is bad.

I think this is pretty obvious. If people are mad at her because they think she thinks global warming is cool, haha.

But I can see the point that people will misinterpret all of this and that could be bad.

Going to give the new album a listen soon.