• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I double dipped and got World on PS4 and PC but can't agree with gaijinhunter enough. I put in maybe 200 hours in World before getting completely bored while also running out of things to do. I actually played Generations Ultimate on Switch a few days ago but can't even remember the last time I even contemplated booting up World. There is a place in the world for both types of games but I'd much rather stick to the original games.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
- Not being able to see damage numbers.
Damages numbers are such a huge benefit to new players. I've seen so many people play the old games and say "But I don't know if what I'm doing is working." It used to be that I'd just tell them that they weren't bouncing so it was working, but that's a far cry from being able to see that hitting one spot does much more damage than hitting some other spot.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damages numbers are such a huge benefit to new players. I've seen so many people play the old games and say "But I don't know if what I'm doing is working." It used to be that I'd just tell them that they weren't bouncing so it was working, but that's a far cry from being able to see that hitting one spot does much more damage than hitting some other spot.
On the flip side damage numbers led to poor damage feedback. It's now much harder to tell if you're hitting a weak point with damage numbers off than it was in previous games.

On the flip side damage numbers led to poor damage feedback. It's now much harder to tell if you're hitting a weak point with damage numbers off than it was in previous games.
Yeah, the massive reduction in visual indicators all around was a real bummer. Even roars can be really hard to detect without the screen distortion effect being there anymore.

I don't have a problem with damage numbers existing, but they shouldn't have come at that expense.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the older MH titles.
What I really liked from watching the old MH videos is the armor and weapon aesthetics.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty surprised when I saw some hate it so much.

It's not my favorite area in the game, because visually it's just a typical forest area, but I never had trouble navigating it.
Try as I might but I never internalized the center area of the map with all that twisted paths and vines. If you ask me what area leads to what in the other maps I can tell you with good certainty but I can only say the same for the ground floor parts of the forest map, not the center area itself.

Every other map in MHW seems to have a much more straight forward design, you can kinda see the interconnecting parts like an old MH game but they do a good job of making it seamless. The forest map's center part has like 6 layers stacked on top of each other and trying to scale the map was an absolute chore if you did not want to use fast travel. I got PTSD from fighting Rathalos on that map....total time wasting bastard.

Coral map is also another map that has much verticality but because it is not so dense as the forest and open in design, you can usually eyeball how to get to a higher level from where you are standing. On top of that, scaling the map is much easier because there are 2 ways to get to the very top of the map in a relatively short time and both use the tool and grapple hook system well.

There is none of that in the forest and you can only traverse the map by foot if you dont fast travel and it has a very twisty path that is not as easy to judge where each path leads to where. If I am fighting a Rath in the lower areas and he decides to take off I usually relent and just use fast travel because I don't want to deal with trying to chase him on foot.

Maybe I am just turbo dumb but for the life of me I could never remember how to climb the map in a hurry if I needed to. Even if it was just going a couple of levels to find the Anjanath sleeping nest was a difficult task for me if I started from the ground floor. I just found map overall to be over designed and hard to memorize as easily as the other maps in World. Everything looked the same and it lacked any unique identifying markers that made it easier to recall specific key parts of the map if I needed to.

I terms of design, I love the map. It is what I expected from a true HD monster hunter game but ultimately, I found the execution to be less so. I put enough time into the multiplayer to see this issue happen online as well so I know I am not the only one who has trouble navigating this map. Eventually everyone just fast travelled everywhere in the forest but I almost never see fast travel used in the other maps with the same frequency as I do in the Ancient forest.