• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the map. Getting to the nest at the top of the coral highlands is a huge pain even with fast travel.
I'll agree, even though grapple bugs help some. At least it only matters for 2 monsters.

Really they should just let everyone ride the wind current without having the glider mantle and no one would complain.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Never played the old MW games. MHW is great. I love the gameplay. The only thing is that the old MH were more social. I like the coop in MHW. But I wish Astera was one big lobby.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overall MHW was a great step forward for the series (and the sales show it).

It's not perfect but it will keep getting better and better so no worries.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
But I wish Astera was one big lobby.
Actually, speaking of Astera, I do have one thing that I fully believe the past games did better than World.

Astera's too damn big and it takes way too long to load into if you aren't on PC. The old hubs were great when the chef was right next to the smithy which was right next to the farm which was right next to the quest board.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed mostly as a huge fan of 3/4. There are aspects of World that do feel a bit worse off despite the internet screaming about QoL and whatnot.

Aspects of balancing, gameplay, tools use, environment design and aesthetic. The multiplayer was terrible.

That said I was not a fan of Generations either. Like at all. For all of the minor issues that bug me in World, Generations goes way overboard and can feel far worse. Appreciate the nostalgia and monster roster, but I can't stand the styles, the super moves, the mission progression, etc..

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I've been so reluctant to play World, I remember talking on here a long time ago about how I wanted to play the earlier entries before World released and was told that the series is an iterative one where the iterations make the older entries obsolete, that you only ever need to play the newest. To be fair, from the sounds of things that was (largely?) true until World (I had doubts at the time because I'd read that only 3U has water monsters for example), but I'm glad I never took the plunge now.

The point about the gear is especially strong, if I'm understanding him right it sounds like what a lot of modern MMOs have become. Just pure RNG with little you can do to target specific things. I hate that feeling, it makes your gameplay experience feel like an endless treadmill rather than an experience where you work towards tangible goals and eventual completion. I understand why this has infected service games where players are paying monthly subs, or there's a cash shop with boosts to exploit people with. I don't understand why it infects games like this, which I assume aren't similar? These are essentially single player games with optional co-op, aren't they? Are there people who actually prefer this model?

In any case, thanks for posting this video. Whenever I do get around to this series I'll be starting with 3 UItimate instead.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, speaking of Astera, I do have one thing that I fully believe the past games did better than World.

Astera's too damn big and it takes way too long to load into if you aren't on PC. The old hubs were great when the chef was right next to the smithy which was right next to the farm which was right next to the quest board.
Yeah. Was it odd that villages like Pokke and Yukumo were just glorified hallways? Yep, but it was damn convenient.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The one thing I'd like to see from world is adding a bit more monster lore into the story. We got a little bit in world, but I'd like to see more. Some monsters have really cool lore (the fatalis trio for example) and I'd like to see some of that within the story. More than just "Nergigante feeds on elder dragons".

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
That said I was not a fan of Generations. Like at all. For all of the minor issues that bug me in World, Generations goes way overboard and can feel far worse. Appreciate the nostalgia and monster roster, but I can't stand the styles, the super moves, the mission progression, etc..
I feel the same way.

Biggest problem for me was all of the pre-4 maps that aren't that fun to play on. Like the Marshlands and the Wooded Foothills where they were obviously never designed for the minimal amount of verticality that 4 gave us, so they just occasionally put in a log or a rock in random spots for you to jump off of but the rest of the area was otherwise 100% flat.

If Monster Hunter has to go back to the classic style, give me another game like 4U.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The only core thing with World I was really disappointed in was how safe it is to use items. Being able to run while drinking potions and cancel out of sharpening I almost never have to wait for an opening first.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I totally see the Switch game (whenever it happens) being a classic one with some elements of World, like some assets.

From what I've seen of World, I'm not crazy about its direction either. I also liked the segmented maps with each being an arena, and I'm 100% satisfied with how the loot and crafting system works in the classic games.

Really I just want a prettier version of the classic formula. Let the other systems have the cinematic World. Let Nintendo keep the old formula, adding any QOL stuff that can be useful but not take away from anything that made Monster Hunter... Monster Hunter.

The only problem is that, at least going by trends, that's not in line with what we should expect from Ichinose's bunch. The main thing that the "Portable" squad has always done was effectively "expand" on the foundation that the new generation establishes (ex: Portable 3rd from Tri and Generations/Ultimate from 4/4U). They may do their own individual takes on said foundation, like nixing swimming entirely from their 3rd gen game and adding in Styles/Arts in their 4th gen game, but they never did anything to tune of going completely against the grain of what the main game established. In short, I'd expect them to make their own 5th gen game, but with their own "take" on it.

So, at best, I'm hoping Ichinose's team will take the good stuff from 5th gen, then just add in their own personal touches to aesthetics (ex: "real" values from MHGU instead of 4U/World style "bloated" values, pls), gameplay differences and make for different maps with better level design than the likes of the Ancient Forest and Coral Highlands. Hopefully, they can even add back in the color and humor that World is missing, since this version of the game will likely be aimed more at Japanese audiences.

I'd also rather have Arts and a trimmed down take on GU's styles/arts system instead of World's Mantles, but I'm trying to be as grounded as possible.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The only thing I miss about the old MonHun is the old map design. NOT the loading aspects of it mind you, but the simplistic nature of them with only a handful of focal points. Some of the maps in World are waay too cluttered and have too many things going on in them.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
In any case, thanks for posting this video. Whenever I do get around to this series I'll be starting with 3 UItimate instead.
That's a good place to start (It's where I really got started, I played Tri but didn't really get into it until Ult). I've been considering jumping back on my Wii U and playing it lately. Miss some of the monsters (Abyssal Lagiacrus, Dire Miralis, Lucent Nargacuga, etc.)

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Fully agreed with the video.

GenU is taking way more of my time than World did. I missed the colorful aspect of older MH's as well as the lesser emphasis on the environment. World's maps can be a complete slog to traverse, really ruining the experience.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
The point about the gear is especially strong, if I'm understanding him right it sounds like what a lot of modern MMOs have become. Just pure RNG with little you can do to target specific things. I hate that feeling, it makes your gameplay experience feel like an endless treadmill rather than an experience where you work towards tangible goals and eventual completion. I understand why this has infected service games where players are paying monthly subs, or there's a cash shop with boosts to exploit people with. I don't understand why it infects games like this, which I assume aren't similar? These are essentially single player games with optional co-op, aren't they? Are there people who actually prefer this model?
This....this is patently false. In fact, the old skill system relies MORE on pure RNG than the current one did because it's impossible to build decent set without decent charm which you only received from boring mining quest!

Jesus fucking Christ GH, your insistence on old skill armor really get on my nerves.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
makes sense. the pitch for MHW from the beginning was making it more accessible to reach a wider audience and they exceeded all expectations in that regards but some of the changes to get there were going to frustrate the veteran players. just gotta hope that going forward they strike a better balance.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This....this is patently false. In fact, the old skill system relies MORE on pure RNG than the current one did because it's impossible to build decent set without decent charm which you only received from boring mining quest!

Jesus fucking Christ GH, your insistence on old skill armor really get on my nerves.

Yeah his armor complaint made zero sense whatsoever

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MHW is the best selling Capcom game of all time. If you think the MH team is making anything other than MHW2 you'd be delusional.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The only core thing with World I was really disappointed in was how safe it is to use items. Being able to run while drinking potions and cancel out of sharpening I almost never have to wait for an opening first.
I feel like you still move slowly enough with potions that if you aren't careful you'll still eat shit. It's "safer", but I'd hesitate to call it "safe."
The old armor system needed to go. If nothing else because every single person that was new to the series would have no idea how it worked because there's almost nothing else like it in video games and it must have turned a bunch of people off.

It's weird to see so many people wanting to go back to. I'll admit you get too many skills in one set in World, but that's a balancing problem.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Monster Hunter World but bounced off it pretty quickly. 3 Ultimate remains the definitive MH experience for me.

I liked swimming and you ALL SUCK for hating it

This guy was pretty clear in stating that Monster Hunter World was the best game in the entire franchise in his review though lol

banter

Jan 12, 2018
That said I was not a fan of Generations either. Like at all. For all of the minor issues that bug me in World, Generations goes way overboard and can feel far worse. Appreciate the nostalgia and monster roster, but I can't stand the styles, the super moves, the mission progression, etc..
The styles made it so they could make the monsters far more aggressive which was a huge plus to me. World's monsters, even the ATs, feel so tame in comparison.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Monster Hunter World but bounced off it pretty quickly. 3 Ultimate remains the definitive MH experience for me.

I liked swimming and you ALL SUCK for hating it

This guy was pretty clear in stating that Monster Hunter World was the best game in the entire franchise in his review though lol

He made like 10 disclaimers because he knew what his discussion would inevitably spark in the community

lmao

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
Basically all the reason why MHW was never my favorite MH game.

MHGU has literally everything i love about MH in one game and is one of the only games that i went out of my way to play and beat when it first came out in japan..even if i had to play it with guides open because i don't know japanese.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He made like 10 disclaimers because he knew what his discussion would inevitably spark in the community

lmao

I respect his opinion, I just remember how incredibly glowing his review for MHW was. And he was really, REALLY down on Generations Ultimate at the time. Now he's completely flipped. Which is fine, but it does make it a bit harder for me to take his initial opinions seriously moving forward.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I respect his opinion, I just remember how incredibly glowing his review for MHW was. And he was really, REALLY down on Generations Ultimate at the time. Now he's completely flipped. Which is fine, but it does make it a bit harder for me to take his initial opinions seriously moving forward.

Its so weird

As a career MH player ive had the opposite reaction.

Each time i come back to play world i enjoy it more and i struggle to pick up Generations

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
MHW is the best selling Capcom game of all time. If you think the MH team is making anything other than MHW2 you'd be delusional.
Dev 2 likely has 3 core MH games in development right now (Iceborne, Next, 6/World 2). And that doesn't include things like contintued Frontier and Explore support or contracted out spinoffs (Nikki, Stories, etc).

You're delusional if you think World's incredible success is going to result in fewer games than before. This isn't the way Capcom works, look at their history with Mega Man, Street Fighter or Resident Evil.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dev 2 likely has 3 core MH games in development right now (Iceborne, Next, 6/World 2). And that doesn't include things like contintued Frontier and Explore support or contracted out spinoffs (Nikki, Stories, etc).

You're delusional if you think World's incredible success is going to result in fewer games than before. This isn't the way Capcom works, look at their history with Mega Man, Street Fighter or Resident Evil.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if there aren't multiple core MH games in active development right now.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
After playing World, I pretty much agree with him. I had a lot of fun with World, and I like the combos the GS has a bit better, but I absolutely found the maps to be a mess and completely band-aided over with the scout flies. I got MHGU on sale a few months ago, and I'm having just as much fun with it, and think I do prefer some of the older mechanics (though jumping / mounting feels really shoe-horned in to the old maps).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'd be shocked if there aren't multiple core MH games in active development right now.
There's been multiple core MH games in development since Portable/Dos basically. And the spinoffs started pretty soon after that too with Nikki and Frontier. I expect MH releases to accelerate further now, although maybe not for the "core" dual teams.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The styles made it so they could make the monsters far more aggressive which was a huge plus to me. World's monsters, even the ATs, feel so tame in comparison.
That's more an execution issue since World's weapon movesets are really powerful themselves and even have moves derived from the styles.
Its so weird

As a career MH player ive had the opposite reaction.

Each time i come back to play world i enjoy it more and i struggle to pick up Generations
To be honest I was never the hugest fan of Generations and appreciated it more for how experimental it was than how much fun I had actually playing it. I'd really like to see them take another shot at prowlers.

I could totally go back to 4U though. That one was practically perfect.

Feb 12, 2019
As someone who put somewhere around 370 hours into 4U and 120 hours into Generations, I don't think I can go back. For as many small-to-moderate issues I have with World (needs more monster variety, the end-game is boring, plenty of weird QOL issues that compound over time) the number of drastic changes and improvements it makes are significant enough that I'm more than happy sticking with them going forward. The old armor system? Really? You really want that back?

Admittedly, I'm nowhere near as hardcore as the true MH devoted, but if I can get what I need out of one of those games in 70 hours instead of 370, I'll happily take that trade-off.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Again, Gen 3 and 4 didn't "reuse PS2 assets". This talking point is wrong and needs to die.

I've played every MH game and those gens might as well have been on the PS2. They played like a PS2 game and looked like one. And they definitely reused assets, that's nonsense that they didn't. They touched up on them, but they reused them. You can't look at GU and not see that, with all those old ass areas from gen 1 that look like shit and don't even compliment the new mechanics or monsters well.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah his armor complaint made zero sense whatsoever
The old armor system needed to go. If nothing else because every single person that was new to the series would have no idea how it worked because there's almost nothing else like it in video games and it must have turned a bunch of people off.

It's weird to see so many people wanting to go back to. I'll admit you get too many skills in one set in World, but that's a balancing problem.

Like man, I understand if people prefers 4U or GU over World, and it's fine if GH video validates that. But that old skill system is just false, FALSE. Charm mining is the fucking worse! You couldn't make a set without turning yourself into a clown in the old games! I hated mixed sets so much that I built full sets almost exclusively, making charms into secondary skill builder. Painting armor as being more important in previous games is just blatant lying.

People could agree on GH other points as they wanted, but not this one. Not when I'm able to fashion hunt without making myself crippled in fight.

I've played every MH game and those gens might as well have been on the PS2. They played like a PS2 game and looked like one. And they definitely reused assets, that's nonsense that they didn't. They touched up on them, but they reused them. You can't look at GU and not see that, with all those old ass areas from gen 1 that look like shit and don't even compliment the new mechanics or monsters well.
I agree. While they have been retouched here and there, the assets are ultimately still shaped by the limitation of PS2-like hardware capabilities. We also had to remember that MH games after Tri are almost portable exclusives, allowing the MH Team to reused more of Portable series assets without making jump as much as they did with Tri.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
There's been multiple core MH games in development since Portable/Dos basically. And the spinoffs started pretty soon after that too with Nikki and Frontier. I expect MH releases to accelerate further now, although maybe not for the "core" dual teams.

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if Tsujimoto was simply waiting for Animal Crossing (and the next Portable game) to go first, before following up with the revival of a new Diary game. It just seems something that he would sign off on, once the next AC opens the doors up for fans of that series to give his series a try, too.

Helps that a Felyne has already become a familiar personality in AC, too.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Agree 100%. MHW is so boring compared to the older games. Having to chase monsters through a needlessly stretched out map just dissuades me from even wanting to turn the game on. There's a lack of variety in enemies, armor (functionally), and weapons (visually). It's a pretty game but that's all it has going for it.
Agree with this. The constant need to trek everywhere constantly made the jungle map an absolute chore to fight in. I honestly feel like the jungle map was made separate from the rest of the maps. The rest of the maps were what you'd expect from a HD MonHun game but the jungle seemed like it was over designed in many ways. The added vertical was a constant hindrance when monsters can just fly and time waste the entire fight.

Didn't really have an issue with the other maps but it really did seem like they designed the monster to just disengage and go roaming after every 3 mins and have the player chase after them. Asf.

But the biggest issue was the lack of variety by far, could ignore all else if there was more keeping me playing the game but I dropped it faster than I expected to in the end.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Tri played and looked a hell of a lot better than than 1 or Dos. And you're wrong with "touched up" or "recycled" assets, a big deal was made about the game being redone for the first time ground up. New models/skeletons, new textures, new environments, new hitboxes, literally the only thing that was reused to any extent was some of the animation cycles. Which World also recycles btw. 4 was a similar reset, it actually uses lower geometry modeling than Tri did due to 3DS spec.

Generations is the only post Dos release that does recycle much (not sure about Portable 3rd though?) and that's because it's basically an All-Stars type Anniversary game. And the crusty Gen 1 stuff in it sort of backfires for your argument here, the clear advancement there was good point to bring up!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I like GenU and 4U more than World tbh

World did the right thing with doing away with seperate armor sets for blademaster and gunner, but I dislike the maps, the hub is a mess (seriously, why is it so unnecessarily large? It's so fucking dumb) and the armor and weapon design is incredibly bland.

In his defense, if there's one thing MHW does better than any other installment, it's that it puts its best foot forward right from the jump and the journey through low rank is paced rather well. It isn't until the goddamned terrible Pink Rathian track grind in high rank that the momentum stops, and that's long enough to start noticing some of the issues the game has.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with this. The constant need to trek everywhere constantly made the jungle map an absolute chore to fight in. I honestly feel like the jungle map was made separate from the rest of the maps. The rest of the maps were what you'd expect from a HD MonHun game but the jungle seemed like it was over designed in many ways. The added vertical was a constant hindrance when monsters can just fly and time waste the entire fight.

Didn't really have an issue with the other maps but it really did seem like they designed the monster to just disengage and go roaming after every 3 mins and have the player chase after them. Asf.

But the biggest issue was the lack of variety by far, could ignore all else if there was more keeping me playing the game but I dropped it faster than I expected to in the end.

Did people forget having to do this in the other games? Hell even in Unite you had to scale walls, run through multiple caves and climb all the way back up the damn mountain on death with load screens

Nothing changed that made Ancient Forest worse than what we had before except now you can fast travel which is a massive upgrade

Also verticality is less of an issue than 4U thanks to the graplling hook and faster climbing speed

Oh and you can run for longer without running out a stamina while disengaged

Im sorry but there is a bit of Rose tinted glasses going on here. Just a bit

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if Tsujimoto was simply waiting for Animal Crossing (and the next Portable game) to go first, before following up with the revival of a new Diary game. It just seems something that he would sign off on, once the next AC opens the doors up for fans of that series to give his series a try, too.

Helps that a Felyne has already become a familiar personality in AC, too.
Agreed. I just hope it gets a western release this time.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Capcom has been focusing on a handful of key high profile games in recent years. Your PS, PS2 era examples mean nothing. They see EA and AB as their example, and those companies don't make spin-off. They will pump more money into their main titles and take away money from anything else. This is April 2019. If the MHXX team is still around they'd reveal their new game by now.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Tri played and looked a hell of a lot better than than 1 or Dos. And you're wrong with "touched up" or "recycled" assets, a big deal was made about the game being redone for the first time ground up. New models/skeletons, new textures, new environments, new hitboxes, literally the only thing that was reused to any extent was some of the animation cycles. Which World also recycles btw. 4 was a similar reset, it actually uses lower geometry modeling than Tri did due to 3DS spec.

Generations is the only post Dos release that does recycle much (not sure about Portable 3rd though?) and that's because it's basically an All-Stars type Anniversary game. And the crusty Gen 1 stuff in it sort of backfires for your argument here, the clear advancement there was good point to bring up!

They marginally improved on old assets, reusing them. 4U couldn't even stop itself from reskinning one of its zones for it's volcano zone.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing since Freedom 2 and I don't miss it at all really. World has a lot of much needed QoL updates to it that make the game's good far outweigh the bad, and as a plus, World finally got my friend, whom I have been trying to get into the series for years (even getting him to buy a N3DS and 4U, only to have him sell both after he beat Pokemon Moon 2 weeks later because was bored of it), play more than 6 hours of a MH game.

I do hope we get more unique armor and weapons though. Going from 4U to MHW was a bit of a bummer in that regard.

One last thing, screw the way Capcom handled the co-op in MHW though. Unbelievably stupid.

bring back Zinogre, pls. kthx

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I just miss insects and mammals tbh. The new mons in world are fantastic, but it really felt samey and elders overstayed their welcomes.

The solution there is just time

5th gen should get multiple games and expansions just like the previous gens.

Im super optimistic for what comes next

I have been playing since Freedom 2 and I don't miss it at all really. World has a lot of much needed QoL updates to it that make the game's good far outweigh the bad, and as a plus, World finally got my friend, whom I have been trying to get into the series for years (even getting him to buy a N3DS and 4U, only to have him sell both after he beat Pokemon Moon 2 weeks later because was bored of it), play more than 6 hours of a MH game.

I do hope we get more unique armor and weapons though. Going from 4U to MHW was a bit of a bummer in that regard.

One last thing, screw the way Capcom handled the co-op in MHW though. Unbelievably stupid.

bring back Zinogre, pls. kthx

Yup

So dumb. Just PLAY THE CUTSCENE for everyone on the group. The vets can go get a drink if the host doesnt want to skip it

I hope they never do this shit again

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
As an avid lover of MHTri I appreciate World being more realistic and immersive with its nature-rich stuff. I do miss the difficulty of older MH games. Barroth is a fucking wuss now. Armor is too accessible.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Stop claiming things you can't confirm please