• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm in, how do I help?
Start riding a bicycle to work.

Yes, but don't worry if you can't. I think this is crucially important to keep in mind:

The belief that this enormous, existential problem could have been fixed if all of us had just tweaked our consumptive habits is not only preposterous; it's dangerous. It turns environmentalism into an individual choice defined as sin or virtue, convicting those who don't or can't uphold these ethics. When you consider that the same IPCC report outlined that the vast majority of global greenhouse gas emissions come from just a handful of corporations — aided and abetted by the world's most powerful governments, including the US — it's victim blaming, plain and simple.

Don't worry too much about your habits as an individual. Focus on doing whatever you can to push for meaningful change on a political level.

Last edited:

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Yes, but or don't. I think this is crucially important to keep in mind:

Don't worry too much about your habits as an individual. Focus on doing whatever you can to push for meaningful change on a political level.

That's what I meant, I live in the NL and ride public transit ~100% electric busses. But I should bike more for multiple reasons. I'm trying to get involved with my local chapter in Maastricht. And I hope I can contribute in any way

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I'm following this thread.

I totally support civil disobedience, but would also like it to be targeted at the worst offenders : some corporations and most governments. People in denial or ignorant should be welcomed; actions against them directly will worsen their opinions IMO.

I agree with the first part, not the second. Don't waste too much energy on people in denial, we can't get everyone, we don't need everyone. But be careful not to piss off the average folks, because it could backfire.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should post a link to this thread every time someone posts "we're fucked" or "we're doomed."

Krabardaf

Jun 12, 2019
That's what I meant, I live in the NL and ride public transit ~100% electric busses. But I should bike more for multiple reasons. I'm trying to get involved with my local chapter in Maastricht. And I hope I can contribute in any way
Maastricht, awesome, I'm from Liege, so close and yet we have so much to learn about how you guys cycle! But many things also come down to infrastructure and policies, my (past) city is absurdly unprepared for more riders. And don't you even dare thinking about a no car zone...

OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Poor guy couldn't get to the hospital to say goodbye to his dying dad due to blocking the roads.

Followed by a tone deaf non-apology.

More public sympathy pissed away.

On the plus side I saw another protest outside Barclays, makes much more sense with a clear target.
Yeah, this makes me very sad and I would be heartbroken and upset if I were in his place. Road blocks are always planned with emergency services in mind, but things like this will unfortunately happen given enough time. XR absolutely doesn't want to cause people emotional pain like this, and I am sure the local group is discussing how to deal with situations like this in the future. We are always discussing ways of adapting and changing up tactics as necessary as long as we stick to non-violence and the like.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Poor guy couldn't get to the hospital to say goodbye to his dying dad due to blocking the roads.

On the plus side I saw another protest outside Barclays, makes much more sense with a clear target.

I feel for him but I'm not sure I agree with the general sentiment of the article or your post. Firstly these people are essentially protesting to prevent the end of society as we know it. At what point do we just accept that inconveniencing people is a necesaary Evil?

I also think I'd need to know more about the story. How long was traffic stopped? Couldn't this situation just as easily have been cause by a traffic jam or car crash? Shit I've been stuck in roadworks for hours. If the persons death was that imminent there are no guarantees of making it in time. Also was the demonstration planned ahead of time so people knew to take alternative routes?

Let's not pretend that there is any real positive public sentiment towards climate change or climate change activists. The average person doesn't give a fuck and this incident does literally nothing to change that. Any person who sees this story and decides that's enough to not care or act on climate change was never going to give a shit anyway.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017

Sucks, but he could have also gotten in a regular traffic jam, and if that would have happened then nobody expects capitalism to apologize. This is just one of the ways that newspapers act to delegitimize anything that upsets the status quo.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Noble.

But this is possibly the worst forum you could have chosen if optimistic gusto is what you're after.

Edit: let me not add to that. Gonna look at where and how to contribute.
I do love that we have both the human extinction movement as well as extinction rebellion now and both aim to unfuck the environment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Noble.

But this is possibly the worst forum you could have chosen if optimistic gusto is what you're after.

Edit: let me not add to that. Gonna look at where and how to contribute.
Some people I've met through XR are actually quite pessimistic, believing that the movement will likely fail. That doesn't stop them from acting, however, because what if it succeeds? Personally, a part of it is about feeling at peace with myself and the way I live my life.

I'm in, just signed up to the US organization.
Fantastic!

OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bumping for the next climate strike this Friday. Joining these strikes is fantastic, and I hope many of you are. If you want to keep making a meaningful difference outside of these strikes, please join your local chapter of XR (link in OP). We need to keep the momentum going!

Speaking of which, on the 7th of October, there will be a global rebellion with occupations of major cities worldwide (New York, Berlin, London etc.). It should be very exciting, so join XR now and be a part of the change!

raschi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm part of XR Norway, and we're going to help shut down Berlin in October.

I'm terrified, but I will do what I can.