• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ylhSbpV.png

Facebook or Google account required to log-in

================================================

gaW8RlE.jpg

Intro
With the advent of DOTA2 using smarter and smarter AI bots and companies like OpenAI getting involved with Valve it only makes sense that AI controlled heroes/games would also come.

Lately one of the custom games made by an indie team Drodo (of Gem TD fame) in China has gained incredible traction as a an increasingly popular mod (consistently the top Twitch streams on DOTA2 and 4th or 5th streamed game on Twitch) that has those underground indie vibes in the same vein as DOTA1, Counter-Strike, and PUBG. Zero marketing and advertising in the West means basically zero mainstream and social media presence and interest outside the DOTA2 community but since it is a basically an original game with a fun concept I thought I'd make an OT since even Forsen has started streaming it. The game has basically been spread by word of mouth from China to the West because of it's incredibly deep gameplay, fast pace and addictive nature. Sadly Drodo chose a poor game title which doesn't accurately describe the game for Western markets and the DOTA2 engine, while powerful, is not exactly the platform of choice for most Western gamers. The game has not been fully translated or transcribed so a lot of learning has been taking place on reddit as people discover and share ideas and strategies.

So what's up with the name?
DOTA because it's a mod that uses in-game assets, engine, interface of DOTA2 (if you didn't know Valve uses DOTA2 as a gaming platform for mods and fully original games)
AUTO because it's automated AI combat reminiscent of setting Final Fantasy to Auto Battle
CHESS because you place your heroes strageically on a chessboard (Chess is also used in-game as the term for hero and player rank, but there are no chess rules)

In my opinion it's more like a multiplayer version of a strategy RPG in the vein of Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars with Disgaea with a hints of poker, mahjong, and Battle Royale. It was made for Chinese audiences but I think it translates very well for fans of turn-based Japanese tactics games and card games.

Games typically last 20-40 minutes (but you can quit at any time with no penalty).

Basic Premise
Make a team of up to 10 heroes to battle 7 other player teams and NPC's to earn gold and improve your team.
Heroes are required and can only be purchased between rounds
Gain EXP and Gold by killing other heroes and creeps to get more, bigger, and better heroes
5 heroes are randomly available from a list of 100 so games will rarely be the same
Each hero has it's own unique species, class, attack range, attack speed, movement, spells, and attack patterns which are reminiscint but do not exactly mirror DOTA2

Species and Classes give species and class specific buffs so it's important to synergize your team as best you can

Updated Mar 1, 2019
fmBgy66.png

Basic Controls & Gameplay
You control a donkey as your player avatar with the interface/GUI is the standard RTS/MOBA/Starcraft topdown layout
The layout is quite intimidating because it is not efficient as it was not custom made for the game and it so large you can see your chessboard and all 7 of your opponents chessboards
During the Upkeep Phase you use your donkey to buy and place your heroes on your half of an 8x8 chessboard
After 30 seconds your chessboard is locked and your team will fight a random team of creeps or heroes positioned on the opposite half of the chessboard
This part is a little confusing as a random team of enemies just appear on the opposite side of your chessboard and you fight, but the original team is still on their "home" chessboard.
Combat is all automatic based on AI and positioning
If you get wiped out the enemy will damage your donkey, which if killed means you die/lose
If you win or kill any enemies you gain gold to upgrade your team
You have 30 seconds to upkeep - buy and place your team and the combat phase begins again
This continues until seven of the eight donkeys are dead and a winner declared

The battles are mostly PvP with limited PvE
The first three rounds are PvE battling easy creeps then human opponents for rounds 4-9.
You face human opponents except when creeps's appear at round 10 and every multiple of 10
Random item drops may or may not drop upon killing creeps

You have to manage your gold to buy heroes and upgrades - do you splurge early to get more powerful early heroes and win early or save for late game to get powerful late heroes?
Heroes are combinable - place 3 identical heroes together and they can level up

Basic combat rules apply - you can place melee up front to tank with ranged and casters in the backlines
Specialized units like assassins can leap to the backlines or a team of snipers can attack anywhere on the map

This is only dipping your toe into the shallow end. The game and strategy gets infinitely more complex see the Resources for more info.

If you want to try it out you need to download DOTA2 free in Steam and download DOTA AUTO CHESS as a free Custom game, also featured on the front page.
I know huge barrier to entry, you need a PC cabable of running DOTA2 (specs vary wildly as you can run DOTA on an old notebook with godawful shit performance or scale up to 4K on a beast machine), Steam client, and 40-50 GB of space for DOTA2, plus some more MB for the mod
Games generally take 20-40 minutes depending on how long you last. I would recommend muting all people as there is literally no reason to communicate.

Resources
FAQ: https://old.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/awnhwt/faq_list_updated_on_03032019/
Wiki: https://dotaautochess.gamepedia.com
Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/
Reddit Guide: https://old.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/af3dc4/my_quick_guide_to_dota_auto_chess_a_fantastic/
DAC Tier List: https://old.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/ah45if/dota_auto_chess_tier_list/
Hero Spreadsheet: https://old.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/ah47xm/auto_chess_spreadsheet/
Beginner and Advanced tips: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/ah94js/dota_auto_chess_advanced_tips_masterlist_for/
PC Gamer How to play/win: https://www.pcgamer.com/dota-auto-chess-guide-combos-tactics/
QIHL guides: https://qihl.gg/

Metabomb Basics FAQ
Once you got the basics this fundamentals video really hammers home all the tips and tricks
https://youtu.be/5NMj8aF01Jo

QIHL discord (Inhouse League for people that are Bishop or higher)
https://discordapp.com/invite/VvUPPcf

Reddit autochess discord (many more people to chat with, basic questions etc)
https://discord.gg/32nNR4j

Reception
No Western media outlets have reviewed this game so far, it's all word of mouth and some news pieces
https://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dota auto chess/results

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/14/what-is-dota-auto-chess-and-why-is-everyone-playing-it
https://kotaku.com/dota-2-custom-mode-is-either-one-of-steams-top-games-or-1831749731
https://www.pcgamer.com/dota-auto-chess-the-joyful-deck-based-dota-2-game-that-artifact-isnt/

Giantbomb first look

Translated interview with the Dev team: https://old.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/ahstnw/auto_chess_developer_we_dont_care_about_that/
Let's imagine that Blizzard invited you to their office. They promise to give anything you need, in return you have to create a standalone game based on Auto Chess. What would you answer and why?
This is a good question. Even at China, they are talking about that we can help Blizzard to "revenge" Valve. But it won't happen. As I said before, we are dota players since War3. So we are familiar with every company in this industry. Blizzard is a great company. But they just focus on their own games. That's their culture I believe.

Many of the popular streamers in China have switched from streaming DOTA2 to DOTA AUTO CHESS and same with the DOTA2 Twitch streamers and non-DOTA2 streamers. The player count seems to have some inconsistencies in-game with known buggy numbers so it is hard to tell exactly how big a phenomenon it actually is without Valve making a statement.

Dota 2 Era discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/RYmeraH

I'm currently not sure what happens now for the DOTA2 community. DOTA1 was made in 2003 as a Warcraft III mod, the shift from Blizzard to Valve with DOTA2 was 2011 and this summer marks the 9th anniversary. DOTA2 remains the biggest esport only because it is funded by people who spend millions of dollars during The International, but DOTA2 as a game has been losing player base consistently with many of our own community shifting to esport spectator as opposed to game player. The game is great, but it is filled with trolls, smurfs, and griefers who ruin the experience for new and old players. This new game is so popular that it has completely dwarfed DOTA2 and Artifact combined in streaming with zero advertising. A non-advertised, non-promoted indie mod being consistently the 4th most streamed game on Twitch is pretty crazy. The developpers (Drodo) have mentioned that they would prefer to work with Valve as opposed to Blizzard, but they did not specifically mention Tencent or Epic which could outbid any Valve offer so the future of this game is not set in stone. We all know the Valve joke about not doing 3's, but the game is already primed and ready for esports and uses the same cosmetics system as DOTA2.

mobile heroes translator
https://www.dotahaven.com/en/guide/auto-chess-mobile/
IatqeLR.png

• Bounty Hunter = Soul Breaker
  • Clock = Sky Breaker
  • Tinker = Heaven Bomber
  • Timbersaw = Ripper
  • Alchemist = Venomancer
  • Techies = Devastator

Z08jFi9.png

• Tiny = Stone Spirit
  • Morph = Water Spirit
  • Razor = Thunder Spirit
  • Enigma = Dark Spirit

1eE5F0f.png

• Slardar = Abyssal Guard
  • Slark = Abyssalcrawler (aww…)
  • Medusa = Siren
  • Tide Hunter = Tsunami Stalker

PLDF6mP.png

• Drow = Egersis Ranger
  • Abaddon = Evil Knight
  • Necrophos = Soul Reaper
  • Lich = Blight Sorcerer

GU00xit.png

• Sniper = Dwarf Sniper
  • Gyrocopter = Helicopter

slj2VRt.jpg

• Tusk = Tusk Champion
  • Enchantress = Unicorn
  • Sand King = Lord of Sand
  • Venomancer = Poisonous Worm
  • Lycan = Werewolf
  • Lone Druid = Razorclaw

n0C7ALC.jpg

• Crystal Maiden = The Source
  • Lycan = Werewolf
  • Omni Knight = Argali Knight (the Argali are a type of Asian wild sheep (Ram))
  • Lina = Flamming (Flaming) Wizard
  • Kunkka = Priate (Pirate) Captain
  • Dragon Knight = Dragon Knight
  • Keeper of the Light = Tortola Elder

oHJvyUM.png

• Puck = Shining Dragon
  • Viper = Venom
  • Dragon Knight = Dragon Knight

4ac7et4.png

• Axe = Redaxe Chief
  • Jugger = Swordman (Swordsman)
  • Beastmaster = Skull Hunter
  • Disruptor = Storm Shaman

0Af85sG.png

• Anti-Mage = Taboo Witcher (I hope his real name is Geralt)
  • Puck = Shining Dragon
  • Luna = Lightblade Knight
  • Treant = Warpwood Sage
  • Furion = Wisper Seer
  • Windranger = Wind Ranger (creative)
  • Phantom Assassin = Shadowcrawler
  • Templar Assassin = Shining Assassin (it's probably hard to assassinate people when you're constantly shining)
Trolls.max-950x950.jpg

• Batrider = Frost Knight
  • Shadow Shaman = Defector
  • Witch Doctor = Desperate Doctor (patients don't get better by the casks he throws at them)
  • Troll Warlord = Berserker

8sgZUps.jpg

• Chaos Knight = Hell Knight
  • Queen of Pain = Phantom Queen
  • Shadow Fiend = Shadow Devil
  • Terrorblade = Fallen Witcher
  • Doom = Doom Arbiter

flOHy1i.jpg

• Ogre Magi = Ogre Mage

Last edited:

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A custom game for DOTA having 70000 concurrent is pretty amazing. Is it easier to get into then the DOTA itself?

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Excellent OT! It's good to spread awareness to people about this mod. It's a great fit for folks that enjoys 'dynamically building' a deck of sort (aka deckbuilding game) except you watch your minions fight in real time.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Played a round and didn't do too well. I was confused as to how druids work. I drafted a bunch of enchantresses thinking i could combine them with only two of each. Turns out you need different types off druids to get the effect going.
It's a pretty cool idea for a game and i hope they can expand the idea further!

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Don't sleep on this mod, there is some complexities to learn but is easy to start and begin the exploration and it reminds me of the good old mod times when there were more ideas where you didn't need so much resources to complete one.

The plus over Dota is that you play alone on standalone turns that autoplay 1v1 so there no toxicity or almost not exist which is a drastic turn compared to how toxic the Dota community is in the main game.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't sleep on this mod, there is some complexities to learn but is easy to start and begin the exploration and it reminds me of the good old mod times when there were more ideas where you didn't need so much resources to complete one.

The plus over Dota is that you play alone on standalone turns that autopsy 1v1 so there no toxicity or almost not exist which is a drastic turn compared to how toxic the Dota community is in the main game.
Yeah and you can leave with no penalty and start up a new game if you got a bad hand.

It's like all the teamfights of DOTA but you only have yourself to blame

Winning a Candy dinner is almost as satisfying as a Chicken dinner.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
This mod is really quite a bit of fun, like it is just on the right side of mindless, simple fun. I feel like the games can be way too long though, like I have had a game take an hour today. That's not the norm but if you are one of the last people alive it can very easily take over 40 minutes, and that is just too long IMO. But besides that it is just a pretty fun, satisfying game, it's a bit rough due to it being a mod and the translation isn't the greatest, but I could definitely see me spending some more time on it.

It's also incredible that they already found a way to sell skins for it.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Game is very fun on a surface level and has a lot of potential. Right now I think its frustratingly random though.

Heres' a basic rundown of the meta that I've observed so far:

- The goal is to get to your courier to level 10 as soon as possible. This is because the 5 star units are broken. Units like tide hunter, enigma, and lich will single handedly win you games, and being level 10 gives you a 10% chance to roll those units every turn.
- You level up from two sources: XP at the end of the round and by manually buying XP for 5 gold. The XP you get from gold massively outweighs the XP you get from finishing a round.
- Because of the importance of reaching level 10 ASAP, and the amount of XP you get for gold, the main objective of this game becomes managing your economy.
- Gold comes from two sources: interest and winning / losing rounds.
- Players can bank gold by just not spending it, and the game will provide 10% interest on banked gold up to 50 gold. Therefore, its most optimal to always have 50 gold so you're collecting an extra 5 gold every round.
- Winning / losing rounds provides gold in streaks. A streak of 3 wins will provide +3 extra gold. A streak of 3 losses will provide +3 gold.
- The WORST thing you can do is to yo-yo between winning and losing. Your streak bonus will always stay at +1 and you're fucked.
- If you got bad RNG with your initial picks, you need to purposely lose (aka bleeding). Your main goal is to lose every single round but not lose every single round too badly. Once you start to collect enough strong units, you can stop the bleeding and start your win streak.

So, how do I protect myself up to level 10?

- Build strong early game tanks. Druids are preferred but all heroes come from a global pool of heroes. So if everyone is going druids then you arent going to be able to get enough druids and should instead build warriors / knights.
- Level up your tanks, build either mages or assassins as your damage dealers. Having 1 of (ShadowFiend/ QoP / AntiMage) is critical because they all receive bonuses for being the only type of that race on your team.
- Your overall strategy besides building tanky units will really be determined by your RNG and what other people are building. Remember, the hero pool is shared. If you see someone already has a level 3 axe, the chances of you also building a level 3 axe are pretty damn low.

p.s: dont reroll your heroes unless you ABSOLUTELY have to. Its so inefficient to do so and you'll find yourself rage-rerolling as you desperately fish for the final unit you need.
p.p.s: always buy templar assassin, shits broken

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent OT! It's good to spread awareness to people about this mod. It's a great fit for folks that enjoys 'dynamically building' a deck of sort (aka deckbuilding game) except you watch your minions fight in real time.
It's so unfortunate that they released Artifact at the same time.

If they could somehow combine Artifact and Autochess that would be my favorite game.

Game is very fun on a surface level and has a lot of potential. Right now I think its frustratingly random though.

Heres' a basic rundown of the meta that I've observed so far:

- The goal is to get to your courier to level 10 as soon as possible. This is because the 5 star units are broken. Units like tide hunter, enigma, and lich will single handedly win you games, and being level 10 gives you a 10% chance to roll those units every turn.
- You level up from two sources: XP at the end of the round and by manually buying XP for 5 gold. The XP you get from gold massively outweighs the XP you get from finishing a round.
- Because of the importance of reaching level 10 ASAP, and the amount of XP you get for gold, the main objective of this game becomes managing your economy.
- Gold comes from two sources: interest and winning / losing rounds.
- Players can bank gold by just not spending it, and the game will provide 10% interest on banked gold up to 50 gold. Therefore, its most optimal to always have 50 gold so you're collecting an extra 5 gold every round.
- Winning / losing rounds provides gold in streaks. A streak of 3 wins will provide +3 extra gold. A streak of 3 losses will provide +3 gold.
- The WORST thing you can do is to yo-yo between winning and losing. Your streak bonus will always stay at +1 and you're fucked.
- If you got bad RNG with your initial picks, you need to purposely lose (aka bleeding). Your main goal is to lose every single round but not lose every single round too badly. Once you start to collect enough strong units, you can stop the bleeding and start your win streak.

So, how do I protect myself up to level 10?

- Build strong early game tanks. Druids are preferred but all heroes come from a global pool of heroes. So if everyone is going druids then you arent going to be able to get enough druids and should instead build warriors / knights.
- Level up your tanks, build either mages or assassins as your damage dealers. Having 1 of (ShadowFiend/ QoP / AntiMage) is critical because they all receive bonuses for being the only type of that race on your team.
- Your overall strategy besides building tanky units will really be determined by your RNG and what other people are building. Remember, the hero pool is shared. If you see someone already has a level 3 axe, the chances of you also building a level 3 axe are pretty damn low.

p.s: dont reroll your heroes unless you ABSOLUTELY have to. Its so inefficient to do so and you'll find yourself rage-rerolling as you desperately fish for the final unit you need.
p.p.s: always buy templar assassin, shits broken
I need to try some of this stuff

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Winner winner candy dinner*

I forget the one other good thing is that you can find a game instantly.
The bad thing is if you go get a drink or use the bathroom and you mess up your first round you are screwed

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently sitting on a 6 game winning streak and it feels that the +5 gold interest bonus once you hit 50 gold is kinda OP.
Basically hope for some nice picks in the early phase and win your rounds or lose most of the early rounds until you hit the 50 gold mark and then invest the bonus you get each round and win it in late game.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently sitting on a 6 game winning streak and it feels that the +5 gold interest bonus once you hit 50 gold is kinda OP.
Basically hope for some nice picks in the early phase and win your rounds or lose most of the early rounds until you hit the 50 gold mark and then invest the bonus you get each round and win it in late game.
That's the top tier big brain strat.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That only works if nobody else is doing it.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
So thats how 50 gold works. I wasn't sure myself

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That only works if nobody else is doing it.
Maybe. Right now I'm around Bish6 or something and worked for the last 6 games in a row.
I'm also ignoring all 5 star units and finalize my built with 1 and 2 star units for the last 3 spots because the class / species synergies outweigh the individual units by far.

Having 7 high level warriors (without the naga) and throwing in the 3 cheap troll units for the attack speed boost usually works like a charm

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. Right now I'm around Bish6 or something and worked for the last 6 games in a row.
I'm also ignoring all 5 star units and finalize my built with 1 and 2 star units for the last 3 spots because the class / species synergies outweigh the individual units by far.

Having 7 high level warriors (without the naga) and throwing in the 3 cheap troll units for the attack speed boost usually works like a charm
It works best if nobody else is doing it.
But if four or five are also doing it you need to be able to outclutch them with your play.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
watched some pros play it and i dunno, doesn't look that interesting but not like i'm a chess fan either so 🤔

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
It is very fun and I recommend everyone to try it a few games. Definetly a fun and new concept

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
lol never thought I'd see this here.

刀塔自走棋 has been quite popular in here Asia in the past few weeks, and people are using it to make fun of Valve's Artifact, even professional gaming websites.

Calling it ''The Real Dota Card Game''

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol never thought I'd see this here.

刀塔自走棋 has been quite popular in here Asia in the past few weeks, and people are using it to make fun of Valve's Artifact, even professional gaming websites.

Calling it ''The Real Dota Card Game''
It could easily be made into mario auto chess or fortnite checkers.

I hope someone polishes it up aND makes it mobul

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be addicted to DotA 1 without ever really playing WC3. Now I'm addicted to this without ever really playing DotA 2. The circle of life is complete, please send help.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
dogdog savjz amaz all streaming this now
if valve has the slighest business acumen they'll get in on that shit, buy the rights from the creator or somethin

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
So I searched to see if there was a thread for this game mod and well here it is, thanks shira!

I haven't played it myself but as mentioned, it's definitely a mishmash of some of the most popular games in existence, so it's no real surprise that the game is catching on and it could certainly work as a stand-alone product with enough development polish and an IP to work with, whether new or existing. Using Dota 2 as a jumping off point makes sense though because of how many heroes/abilities/items are in the base game to start with as a sandbox filled with tools. Even if the actual custom game tools were never that developed by Valve, lol.

The best way I can describe it as I understand is as a mix of Counter Strike, Battle Royale, and Tactics (but a bit of a mix between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars I think), with real time combat. Maybe a bit of Pikmin or something too since the player has an avatar that exists on the game space map, rather than just being an abstract god or something. Of course a lot is taken from Dota as well, which is also a hybrid game that took the RPG elements of WC3 RTS hero units and amped them to the extreme in a 5v5 PvP map with some PvE or creep farming/hunting involved.

The only inspiration from real chess is the chessboard-like grid you place units on and the ranking system. Also I guess the format is similar to playing in an actual chess team tournament (which I've done before) where different teammates play opposing team members 1v1 on different boards with sum victory weights determining an eventual tournament team winner.

One of the things I haven't figured out myself quite yet is if the CO-like (Advance Wars-style) player avatar is just from a pre-made pool, or if there's any customization or progression system there, whether meta-permanent or not.

Also not sure if it's more round robin style in matchups or how it does that before a victor is determined.

Last thing I don't know would be if the different boards/map locations have any unique properties at all, where one strategy might work better, and if so, whether these are rotated during the game or randomized as starting positions that don't move later, or something in between.

I'd be curious if anyone knows the answers to those questions, but otherwise I'll probably play myself or read the explicit documentation sooner rather than later.

I would never call it Auto Chess for a stand-alone release though as that's a misnomer for what it is. I'd come up with a better, unique and memorable name.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I haven't figured out myself quite yet is if the CO-like (Advance Wars-style) player avatar is just from a pre-made pool, or if there's any customization or progression system there, whether meta-permanent or not.

Also not sure if it's more round robin style in matchups or how it does that before a victor is determined.

Last thing I don't know would be if the different boards/map locations have any unique properties at all, where one strategy might work better, and if so, whether these are rotated during the game or randomized as starting positions that don't move later, or something in between.

I'd be curious if anyone knows the answers to those questions, but otherwise I'll probably play myself or read the explicit documentation sooner rather than later.

I would never call it Auto Chess for a stand-alone release though as that's a misnomer for what it is. I'd come up with a better, unique and memorable name.
Yeah I heard Amaz also compare it to Poker and Majhong.
I don't play those but you need to make flushes or pairs to "win"
I never thought of it like that. I think it also mimcs one more Chinese game

The Player Avatars are their monetization scheme, it's a little shady so I'm not encouraging peopel to use it. Basically you get candy for winning a match up to 10 a day and you can trade that in for new avatars. I think random is 40 candy and and there is a super one for idk how much. Also you can buy codes to get more candy

The matchups are random to my knowledge

I don't think the boards have different properties but that would be cool if the ice one gave you ice buff and fire debuff

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I heard Amaz also compare it to Poker and Majhong.
I don't play those but you need to make flushes or pairs to "win"
I never thought of it like that. I think it also mimcs one more Chinese game

The Player Avatars are their monetization scheme, it's a little shady so I'm not encouraging peopel to use it. Basically you get candy for winning a match up to 10 a day and you can trade that in for new avatars. I think random is 40 candy and and there is a super one for idk how much. Also you can buy codes to get more candy

The matchups are random to my knowledge

I don't think the boards have different properties but that would be cool if the ice one gave you ice buff and fire debuff

Yeah different boards having different properties would just be an additional layer of strategic depth that could work well or not depending on how balanced it was. Sort of like the difference between competitive Dota or many sports taking place on one single map or field that is pretty much always the same vs. something like Heroes of the Storm or Counter Strike where maps have slightly different objectives or properties and map selection can become a serious thing to consider when trying to win a match. You have to play to your strengths around it, in addition to everything else like who you're up against player-wise, hero-wise, etc.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Won quite a few more, starting to feel really comfortable. Had a game last night I managed to get a lvl 3 luna with a MKB with full knight bonus, it was a bloodbath. Some random observations with the game:

-Templar assassin is OP bullshit. There's 0 reason not to pick up this unit if you see it in the lineup. At worse you'll have an assassin tank that has 0 synergy in your team. At best she'll solo an entire team if you're build around assassins. If you see someone upgrade to a lvl 2 TA you should just accept your defeat.

-lvl 4 Troll/Warlock combo is pretty nuts. Doesn't get strong until late game once you can pick up Troll warrior and if you manage not to get one you're screwed.

-The item random chance seems to swing too wildly. Seems odd you can go rounds without getting really anything but some other guy is carrying around a maelstorm and mask of madness.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, maybe there should be a shop because item RNG can basically win you the game.
Or mb the items need to be complete items instead of pieces of items.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Welp, I went on like a ten hour straight session of non-stop playing this game when I decided to give it a try. Pretty fun stuff. A strategy that's won me a couple games is to go 2 Goblin Mechs (Clockwerk, Tinker, or Timbersaw)/ Bounty Hunter/ Assassins. This lineup gives you both the first mech passive and the first goblin passive for decent frontline tankiness while you go all-in on Assassin's. In the late game, you have flexibility on choosing what to fill out your frontline depending on the assassins you picked up in order to match bonuses, like if you have Slark, you can swap an Assassin for a TideHunter for the AoEstun and magic resist from the naga bonus.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Ya the tinker/clockwerk/timbersaw seems to be the best early game strat, especially if you can get timbersaw to lvl 2. One trouble is a lot of people try to go for it, so you gotta be battling for pieces. The other issue is Tinker seems kinda crap, and there's not any high level mechs until lvl 5 so you can get clobbered midgame.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
goblin mecha is legit

also the game needs some kind of internal or external clock.

It's way too easy to lose yourself for hours at a time.