• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Thought it was worth its own thread.
(Since I'm sure the numbering is confusing to some, Higurashi has two halves, 1 & 2, and Umineko's halves were 3 and 4, making the new game WTC 5.)

Trailer just released:

(キコニアのなく頃に, When The Ciconia Cry)
Witch Hunt did the translation, too.

Umineko's:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I can't wait for WTC5.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni was a defining part of my late teens until I was 20. I was with everyone else when the episodes were being fan translated by Witch Hunt as they were coming out and fan speculation was flying around like crazy. I miss those times. I wonder if those days are going to be truly back.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When They Cry 5 is a pretty cool announcement. Interested in following it.

Don't care about more Umineko tho.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni was a defining part of my late teens until I was 20. I was with everyone else when the episodes were being fan translated by Witch Hunt as they were coming out and fan speculation was flying around like crazy. I miss those times. I wonder if those days are going to be truly back.
Unless it's a murder mystery too, I doubt it will be like that again. :/

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in. Really liked both Higurashi and Umineko (despite episode 8).

Also it's nice to know Witch Hunt is working directly with R07 now. Cool to see them move up like that.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for Ciconia. I just started Umineko recently so still got a while to go before I even think about the new scenario.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
To be fair I'm not sure I even want Umineko ep 9 unless it's something relatively fresh. Excited to see how WTC5 turns out tho. Hopefully we get relatively fast translations too.

Oct 28, 2017
interested in the new wtc, i dunno if there's anything more to say about umineko, the ending is left kinda open but not really.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Ciconia, huh? Looks like it's going to be as nuts as Umineko.

I hope the manga starts sooner than later.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm so hyped for WTC5.

Good to know that Witch Hunt are still around, their efforts for Umineko were really commendable.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Man, it's been years and years since I read Umineko (I read 8 as soon as the translation was out), so it'll be a little hard to jump back in, but I'll do it.

And I am absolutely in for 5, I say without even having watched the trailer.

RJAlpha

Oct 26, 2018
Figures it takes new When they Cry to get me to stop lurking and actually post something.

Umineko is my favorite thing, and I'm looking forward to Ciconia completely subverting every expectation I have coming from Umineko, just like how Umineko subverted my expectations coming from Higurashi.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The new art is certainly... different.
DtKynAYV4AAFjDH.png

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
So is this going to be an anime? Also, I'm rather confused a bit. I watched Umineko anime and then the ending only continues off some video game series. Is that being translated into English with Voice now? Is Ciconia a sequel or all new cast? I'm a huge fan of Higurashi and Umineko....

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
So is this going to be an anime? Also, I'm rather confused a bit. I watched Umineko anime and then the ending only continues off some video game series. Is that being translated into English with Voice now? Is Ciconia a sequel or all new cast? I'm a huge fan of Higurashi and Umineko....
It's a visual novel, just like Umineko and Higurashi started as.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Always wanted to get into these two series but never did.

Watched the WTC anime and actually enjoyed it. Does the sound novels not follow the ending they used for Kai? Might have to try it.

Umineko on the other hand completely turned me off. What I thought was going to be a detective/realife/whodunit scenario turned into something with.......fantasy demonic servants and girls that were bunnies or something. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

Watched the WTC anime and actually enjoyed it. Does the sound novels not follow the ending they used for Kai? Might have to try it.

Umineko on the other hand completely turned me off. What I thought was going to be a detective/realife/whodunit scenario turned into something with.......fantasy demonic servants and girls that were bunnies or something. Maybe I'm being too harsh.
The Higurashi anime gets the gist, but a lot of nuance got cut.

The Umineko anime is a dumpster fire.
(apart from OH DESIAAA)

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
The Higurashi anime gets the gist, but a lot of nuance got cut.

The Umineko anime is a dumpster fire.
(apart from OH DESIAAA)

So is there any actual plot they can use for WTC5 then? I think they did a good job ending it.

And yeah, Umineko just really disappointed me. I had no idea it was even from the same guy who did Higurashi. So when everyone was telling me it was a detective story trying to see "if witches exist and how murders are committed" I was really excited. Then I got.....whatever Umineko is haha.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

just out of curiosity how far did you get in it?

I felt pretty similar the magic stuff just got to be too much in episode 2 and then the 3rd episode started slow with a lot of flashbacks and I just dropped it for 4+ months

then I came back to it later where I left off and got hooked on it enough to finish it over the next couple months,it does always have a certain amount of stuff in it that can get grating at times but it helps when the meta stuff gets more fleshed out and such

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
So is there any actual plot they can use for WTC5 then? I think they did a good job ending it.

And yeah, Umineko just really disappointed me. I had no idea it was even from the same guy who did Higurashi. So when everyone was telling me it was a detective story trying to see "if witches exist and how murders are committed" I was really excited. Then I got.....whatever Umineko is haha.
Each WTC has a different cast. And Umineko is great, just not the anime. It's just crazier. Still has a detective mystery at the core, though.

WTC5 gives me a steampunk/modern vibe.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
what would a umineko episode 9 even be about? I feel like it already did a pretty good job of wrapping everything up

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a meta murder mystery. You can take this stuff at face value or not... it's a bit hard to explain, but the novels go deep into this stuff.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Even though I don't care anymore about the answers and what happened in Oct 4/5, but it'd be interesting if they put it in. Also, would be cool to have gameplay elements such as EP8 (solving puzzles/cases)

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Umineko_When_They_Cry_titles I think i'm talking about the PS3 one. Was that ever translated?

also, I only watched the anime so I have no idea of the continuation as I thought it was in those video games.

That's just an updated version of the visual novel. The Steam version has patches to use its artwork(which I think is waaay better than the new Steam art).

The PS3 version never came out here, though I bet it would have nowadays.

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Standard Festival.

If this is Ryukishi's take on Battle Royale, does this mean we're going to get Fortnite dances, or at least memes about them?

God it's all spinning back up again.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, is it still 4+? I believe Tsubasa and Hane (collections of short stories adapted to VN form) were the same, weren't they?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Umineko_When_They_Cry_titles I think i'm talking about the PS3 one. Was that ever translated?

also, I only watched the anime so I have no idea of the continuation as I thought it was in those video games.

The PS3 games are just repackagings of the PC games with different art and UI. Unlike the Higurashi console versions, there are no extra episodes added.

The anime is based on the games. So there's only a "continuation" in the sense that they didn't adapt half of it, and the first half they did adapt is messy. It is just like how a manga likely goes further than the anime based on it.

Battle Standard Festival.

If this is Ryukishi's take on Battle Royale, does this mean we're going to get Fortnite dances, or at least memes about them?

God it's all spinning back up again.

The Touhou festival scene, but now Jessica is just constantly flossing.

Last edited:

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not familiar with these games so I had to read the thread title several times before deciding that it wouldn't make sense to me without some research haha.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
G Gundam with exoskeletons instead of mechs? That's quite a change from the previous games.

Iryx

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been following Ryukishi that close after the first part of Higanbana was fairly meh, but I remember being obsessed with Umineko after I first discovered it and I like Higurashi, so I'm looking forward to WTC5.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I have zero clue what any of these things are. I know I could start googling around for them, but would anyone here be willing to pitch one of them to me and suggest a good starting point? Seems like people are really excited, and I rarely have my finger so far off the pulse.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have zero clue what any of these things are. I know I could start googling around for them, but would anyone here be willing to pitch one of them to me and suggest a good starting point? Seems like people are really excited, and I rarely have my finger so far off the pulse.

This is where you start.

Umineko is a classic.

The Ushiromiya are a very rich Japanese family, and they gather for a conference every year at Rokkenjima, the private island owned by the family head, Kinzo.
In 1986, a typhoon breaks out right after the conference starts, stranding the family (and their servants) on the island for two days.

In the first day, at dinner, a mysterious letter appears, claiming to be from Beatrice, the island's mythical witch. She urges the family to solve the family epitaph, a riddle posed by Kinzo, offering who wins the family gold.

Then murders start happening...

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When They Cry is kinda of an anthology series written by a japanese doujin (indie) novel creator named Ryukishi07. It started with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi: When They Cry), a mystery novel about several murders ocurring in a small japanese village. The story is centered around the various bizarre events that happen in that village and let the reader try to figure out what's happening. It's hard to say much without spoiling, but it was very well received to the point that it became popular enough to get an anime show, several manga adaptations and various console ports with added content and improved art. Higurashi is divided into two parts (When They Cry 1 and When They Cry 2), consisting of four separate novels for each part for the original releases.

After that he wrote Umineko no Naku Koro ni (Umineko When They Cry/When The Seagulls Cry), a new novel unrelated to Higurashi, but similar in structure and some themes. It's another murder mystery story, but this time on a "smaller scale". It's about a rich family going all to a small private island, said to be cursed by a witch, and getting stuck there due to a storm. Murders start happening and the story is all about trying to understand what's happening there, who's behind the murders or if that's just the witch's doing. It's also divided in two parts (When They Cry 3 and When They Cry 4). It's very inspired by Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.

It's hard to go in depth about what makes these stories unique and interesting without spoiling the most important aspects that elevate them. The games themselves are just basically visual novels without gameplay at all.

The new announcements in the OP are When They Cry 5, a brand new story named Ciconia no Naku Koro ni, that will likely have some shared themes and structure with the two previous stories (Higurashi and Umineko); and a brand new novel for Umineko -- I actually don't know how this is going to be as the story was finished already, but we'll see.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Interesting to see that Witch Hunt are working with 07th Expansion directly this time. Wonder if this means we'll get the translated release near/at the same time as the JP release?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

This is where you start.

Umineko is a classic.

The Ushiromiya are a very rich Japanese family, and they gather for a conference every year at Rokkenjima, the private island owned by the family head, Kinzo.
In 1986, a typhoon breaks out right after the conference starts, stranding the family (and their servants) on the island for two days.

In the first day, at dinner, a mysterious letter appears, claiming to be from Beatrice, the island's mythical witch. She urges the family to solve the family epitaph, a riddle posed by Kinzo, offering who wins the family gold.

Then murders start happening...

There is no reason to start with Umineko over Higurashi unless he really doesn't like Higurashi's set-up.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is no reason to start with Umineko over Higurashi unless he really doesn't like Higurashi's set-up.
There is one, and it's that 25% of Higurashi is still yet to be released officially.

edit: However, another consideration might be that Umineko can be said to be spoiling Higurashi in some ways that won't really be relevant unless you know a lot about Higurashi.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I really should finish up Umineko. I left around halfway in EP7. Let's just say the story turned me off at that point.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Yaaasss more Umineko!
WTC 5 is cool too, although it's difficult to be too hyped when I have no idea what it's about despite the trailer.
Highly recommend Umineko. It's on steam. Don't watch the anime. Save the manga for a reread. Start with the Question Arcs, then read the Answer arcs. And maybe play the fighting game after all that if you're interested.
If you want to play Higurashi, definitely try and play that first? But at the same time, if you don't want to, it's not super important. Really if you've started Umineko you might as well just commit to it whilst most of the references will just go over your head. (Also Higurashi episodes 7 and 8 on Steam when)
I'm proud of Ryukishi's progress with drawing fingers.
(Also episode 8 of Umineko definitely has pacing problems. But I kind of love it anyway? Warts and all.)