• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Last month I stepped into the sweet world of 4K60 and haven't looked back. That being said, I bought a 4KTV 2 years ago that I play on and was ready for a computer upgrade. Before that I was 1080p lol.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I'll move to 4k at some point, probably a long time for now, but the only thing that really interests me in going beyond 1080p is that higher resolutions make for cleaner upscaling when emulating sprite-based hardwares.

DronePhysics

Oct 28, 2017
1440p is the sweet spot between eye bleeding graphics and performance for me personally since I have a lowly 1070. I am surprised at the low number for 1440p since it is a big upgrade compared to 1080p IMO.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Shame they don't have any frame-rate data alongside the resolution information... could be interesting to see.

oops my bad lol

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Not surprised, 4K gaming is expensive as fuck. I had to dump $1.3k into just my PC to get consistent 1440p, and that was on Black Friday.

1080p gaming is perfectly find for most screens, because once you get above $1k, cost starts becoming prohibitive.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are SOOOO many reasons why 4K, ultrawide, super ultrawide and all the other displays are niche and will remain to be niche in PC gaming.

• I think the number 1 reason is very simple really, most people just DO NOT CARE about 4K.
  • Then there is the price.
  • Diminishing returns (especially at smaller screen sizes, which is was most PC gamers have). Most people either don't see the difference or don't consider it to be significant to upgrade.
  • Higher FPS is always better than higher resolution.
  • Hardware requirements are still very very high.
  • With exception of OLED, display tech basically has plateaued, there are almost no differences between quality of panels made 5 years ago and now. Heck, nowadays sometimes they put LOWER quality panels in monitors to cut costs. Yes, resolution increased from 1080p to 1440p to 4k to 8k, but underlying tech and all its limitations hasn't changed. You still have ghosting, input lag, backlight clouding problems, etc. VA and IPS panels of 5 years ago have the same drawbacks as 4K VA and IPS panels of today.

Alboreo

Jan 31, 2018
I can say that, for me, the price does not justify the results. I'd love to have a 4K setup, but it's moreso a novelty and less of a necessity. Maybe when it's cheaper I'll make the move.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how for the longest time many many many people couldn't tell the difference from a 480i tv channel to an HD channel on their brand new HDTVs and would for years watch standard definition tv not knowing any better? Expect that with 4K but it'll be even worse since the difference, while noticeable, is way less obvious that going from SD to HD.

univbee

Oct 25, 2017
  • I think the number 1 reason is very simple really, most people just DO NOT CARE about 4K.

Seriously this is a much bigger factor than most people give it credit for. 4K gets hard to get a good sense of difference in quality over a solid 1080p version of the thing, especially if you're sitting far enough away, and yet is exponentially more complicated to playback (more limited devices, greater internet speed required for streaming etc.). For every person who's whiz-bang whole hog into 4K there are at least 50 who couldn't point out a difference between 720p and 1080p, especially outside of gaming or in other situations where those pictures are achieved by super-sampling.

Remember how for the longest time many many many people couldn't tell the difference from a 480i tv channel to an HD channel on their brand new HDTVs and would for years watch standard definition tv not knowing any better? Expect that with 4K but it'll be even worse since the difference, while noticeable, is way less obvious that going from SD to HD.

My dad called me angry that the picture on the TV was windowboxed because the cable box was outputting a 4x3 signal (so AR was correct, but picture was small and in the center of the screen). It had been that way for at least two months (since he got it hooked up because he upgraded from analog cable finally earlier this summer), I hadn't touched it at all.

Coupled with the fact that the fastest internet available at his place gets 4 megabits per second on a good day, I doubt he'll be getting a 4K TV anytime soon.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
In what, Hearthstone? Diablo 2.

Technically, any video card is "capable" of gaming in 4k, but there is a huge difference between selecting the resolution in a game and actually being able to play. A 1060 isn't playable in 4k at all. No one who owns one thinks, "do I want higher frames, or 4k?" because that's literally not an option.
You'd be surprised. I have a 980 and I play a lot of stuff in 4K. Most indie games work fine, the entire ps360 gen is great to revisit at 4k60, off the top of my head I recently played DmC, The Darkness 2, telltale batman season 2 and Inside at 4k. All the telltale games run great at 4k. Even newer games you can easily run at 4k/30 most of the time. Don't know why you'd say it's literally not an option, it obviously is an option, I do it all the time.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Having a 1080p 144hz display has ruined me for 60hz. I probably won't make the jump to 4K for my PC until you can get a 120hz+ display, and GPU that can reasonably support it, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Right now that means a $2000 monitor and a $1000 GPU.

Oct 29, 2017
I have a 4K monitor (was cheap) and a 4K TV (was also cheap), and I still generally default to 1080p due to my wanting 60 fps over all. Only when I can run a game at 60fps with settings turned down (like Overwatch) do I end up actually running at native 4K.

I ran AC Origins at 4K mostly because that game seems impossible to run at a constant 60 fps (basically any settlement, especially Alexandria, results in stuttering out the ass). That game looks fucking EXCELLENT at 4K. But I'm not sure the picture sharpness is worth the horsepower that 4K demands. It's definitely noticeable but definitely a niche, bleeding-edge luxury.

Last edited:

misterBee

Aug 16, 2018
4k monitors are cheap and easy to get. A strong GPU that can run games at 4k/60 with all the settings turned up is VERY expensive.

So most of us prefer to play @1440p instead.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought my first 4k monitor, still waiting for the video card to arrive. If I used it just for gaming I'd probably go 1440/144 today, but I'll use it mainly for photo editing so I had to prioritize that.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I was expecting to be higher than that.

Probably we will have a significant increase of 4K users when the next generation of consoles arrive. By then we will probably have and cheaper 4K capable GPUs (from AMD at least).

Personally I am using as a monitor and playing on my Samsung 49" KS7000 and never looked back to my 27" 1440p PC monitor.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pricing issue, at least when it comes to PC gaming.

A decent 4K monitor, especially one with HDR support, is still way too expensive and the graphics cards are also way too expensive for it to be worthwhile for more casual players. 4K regardless of HDR or not also have way less content outside of gaming to make it worthwhile, pretty much none of the big 4K streaming services like Netflix, iTunes Movies and others will allow you to watch their content in 4K due to copy protection issues.

Console gaming has a much bigger 4K playerbase because pretty much every new mid-high end TV is 4K HDR and good low end offerings are popping up. Add to that that the entry price for gaming in "4K" on these screens are much lower than on PC.

4K on PC will be much more normal in 3-5 years as displays and computer hardware go down in price, but it's honestly no surprise that the number is that low.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I play anywhere between 1920*1200 and 4k. Usually at 4k, but some don't support the option in the menu which is usually the point where I just go for 1920*1200. Downsampling makes the game look crazy sharp!

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Heh, I'm in an even lower percent - 3440x1440 Ultrawide when I actually use my PC to play stuff. I'll gladly take that over 16:9 4k any day. Plus anything higher just gets waaaaay too costly to run.

Seriously never going back to a 16:9 monitor for my PC usage and a 2160p based UW would be extremely cost prohibitive.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
TVs have high display lag compared with monitors, no?

Not comparatively enough to matter for the vast majority of games (Or any games). Yes, there are a select few TVs where this probably is bad enough to matter, but if you do a little research when buying your TV, it's a non issue.

They do, Steam survey ignores it, it only counts primary monitor.

My TV is my primary monitor in this case. I only use another monitor if it's a game that requires a mouse and keyboard. (Few and far between with a Steam controller.) That's more of what I was getting at; using a TV as the primary.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. I love my 4K monitor but with a 1070, I'm not playing all of my games at that setting.

We're still just getting cards capable of 4K/60fps so it shouldn't be surprising that most people aren't playing at that resolution. I sure as hell cant go back to 1080p though.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This percentage doesn't surprise me. It's basically a choice between having a rig that can do 1080/1440p60 or 4K30 in the PC market right now unless you're willing to build a PC (including monitor) north of $3000, and most PC gamers, especially me, are just too used to buttery 60fps by now.

There's also the fact that 4K isn't nearly as impressive without HDR, and HDR support in PC games and in monitors is still very spotty.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure that Steam Survey doesn't give you the same shiny portrait of the PC gaming market as Nvidia fancy powerpoint. But the graphics cards rubric is more indicative.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that 1366x768 laptop resolution is the second most used. I mean, that's what I play at, but I didn't think so many PC gamers were scrubbing it like me.
I remember having a laptop with that resolution years and years ago. I know the majority of pc gamers don't play at the higher end of the spectrum in terms of specs but I still can't believe that res is that popular. Do they even make laptops with that res anymore?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a gtx 1080, there's no reason for me to think about a 4k monitor unless I'm ok with capping stuff at 30fps (hint: I'm not).

And price absolutely does play a huge role like seemingly everything else on PC nowadays. A 1440p/144 monitor with gsync is expensive enough.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Windows doesn't have great 4k support, and the hardware required to play in 4k is absurdly expensive.

1080p isn't going anywhere.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I'd love to get into 4K gaming, but it's rather expensive to get into. I would need to purchase a new GPU (currently using a 980ti) and a new monitor of course.

I'm okay with gaming in 1080p 60fps for now, even if my card is starting to show signs of aging. Hell, I still play my PS4 and Switch and neither of those output games in 4K.

Nov 8, 2017
Again with the Steam surveys... The survey is optional and many folks have probably done upgrades since they last participated. I haven't taken part in the survey since I was running a i7 3770K and a GTX 690. I've purchased 5 GPU's and 2 CPU's since then and I've gone from 1440p to 4K.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't jumped on 4k yet either, since I'm waiting for HDR to be more of a standard on G-sync 144hz monitors.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
FPS > resolution

That being said, I can't wait to get get another 2080Ti and put the entire rig under water so that I can blow up that 4k, 60+ fps, utlra settings show

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought it'd be less than that considering just how many users Steam has.

That said, yeah, in the era of 120hz and above. 4K is not the biggest priority for most PC gamers, especially competitive ones.