1.4 Bug Report Thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
Hey Everyone,

As you all know by now, we just released our new DayEra and NightEra themes. The front end team has been crunching away pretty hard to get this update out to you guys and it's a small miracle that we're able to launch it now. However, as this is a completely new design built from scratch, there's sure to be plenty of bugs that haven't been discovered yet. We would appreciate your feedback and assistance in rooting out these problems.

If you find a bug, details like browser, OS, and device can't hurt and are often helpful.

Please keep in mind that key members of the team are volunteers from the community; feedback should be politely phrased and respectful of the work they've put in. If things get out of hand this thread will have to be locked.

Thanks!

Known Issues:
  • There are some boundary issues with regards to the logo and the search button on Samsung phones.
  • Avatar box colors are shaded differently.
  • "hovering / scrolling" top bar doesn't work on Safari 11.1 on macOS 10.13.4.
  • IE 11 viewing experience is broken.
  • Forced Mobile Viewing - Chrome 66, Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 7370. Surface pro 3 Metro IE. Increased Zoom on Firefox causes same issue.
  • Displays on numerous devices seem to be rather small.
  • Tapping Games forum shortcut on bottom nav bar while behind a user's avatar leads you to user's profile page instead of Games forum.
  • Mysterious Times New Roman reappearances after hitting a new reply.
  • Iphone 6S+. Safari. OS Ver. 11.3.1: Blinking cursor about an inch below where it should be when writing replies.
  • On 9.7" Ipad - black borders on left and right in portrait, but not in landscape.
  • Link to Top Button can cover Etc. Hangout on bottom nav bar. https://www.resetera.com/posts/7733742/
  • Image width does not scale properly when you click to see a full image. Hence making the image more zoomed out.
  • Bookmarks loaded in Safari on 13" ipad Pro lead to text overflow issue blocking content. https://abload.de/img/screen03yeq73.png
  • Embedded Twitter Links - Click behavior on a twitter link does not work properly. Leads to white page with a continue link which leads to essentially nowhere.
  • Ads stretch past width of page causing horizontal scrolling.
  • Alerts do not become invisible after scrolling. https://www.resetera.com/posts/8444865/
  • Various Safari issues on Desktop.
  • Firefox Mobile - Random site crashes.
  • Safari - Sometimes pages do not load unless the site is reloaded.
Clarification:

• Permalink behavior was altered. Right click and copy is the way to go now. This gets you a link that works on both 50ppp and 100ppp.
  • Captcha's loading up for reply/highlight. --> Cloudflare issue. Solution is to update browser.
Solved:

This thread is for information about bugs stated in a relatively neutral tone. As the staff will be coming through this thread for bug reports. The other thread is a more appropriate place for design debates, or for less neutral commentary. This thread is for bug reports only. Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
When I drag the browser to one side of my screen it seems to switch to the mobile format. Dont mind the buttons on the bottom, but if anything in an Op is centered, theres no way to see it all without going full screen. Theres a black boarder on the right that overlaps any text or images. Using the NightEra option btw on Chrome.

Edit: Looks like it only affects threads that you create. I can see all the other Ops fine, accept my own unless I go full screen.

Love the design though btw!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Night Era has some color problems. The jump arrows on the right don't match the theme. The thread title banner appears to be using a completely different hue altogether, it's a bit distracting for what is meant to be a subdued theme.
Windows 10, Chrome 66.0.3359.139

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it doesn't seem like there's a consistent hue for the purple color, which is extra distracting. Pick a desaturated one if you want to standardize:
Code:
Reset Era Logo/Reply to Thread Button: 801DFF
Left title gradient: 3A1C93
Right title gradient: 781DF4
Nav Icons: 9646ff
Jump/Reload Buttons: 59119C
"Administrator" tag: 7F1DFE

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is intentional or not, but links to specific posts don't seem to highlight them anymore. With how some of the embeds can cause the page to shift around, I found that fairly useful.

Oct 28, 2017
Not theme related but when I choose Hide Avatars in the Preferences, the avatars are still visible on posts. This has been an issue since the forum started but i must be the only person that tries to hide Avatars as I don't think anyone ever mentioned it.

Oct 25, 2017
The UI unfortunately does not work well when you are viewing ResetEra in half window (I use an iMac Retina and will have Era on half my screen and some other program or browser window on other half). The top bar doesn't scale at a certain horizontal size.
I'm also encountering this issue. The new themes' UI seems quite janky in several ways, between this and the avatar cropping.

Great job on the new features, otherwise, though! Just gotta iron out some kinks.

Oct 28, 2017
Posts by ignored users are being shown. The message at the top of their post "You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content" still appears, as does the "show ignored content" link at the bottom of a thread. Clicking them does nothing though as the posts are already visible.

e: If someone quotes a post by an ignored user, that part is still hidden.

Oct 26, 2017

Is there any reason for the wasted vertical space on sides of the screen? Kind of sticks out on desktop.

Oct 25, 2017

No idea if you added these style "features" by accident or not. But they need to go. #freeOurAvatars!

Also, the "hovering / scrolling" top bar doesn't work on Safari 11.1 on macOS 10.13.4. (but i hate these kinds of scrolling bars anyways. You gave us the 'back to top' arrow. That's good enough!)

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Posts by ignored users are being shown. The message at the top of their post "You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content" still appears, as does the "show ignored content" link at the bottom of a thread. Clicking them does nothing though as the posts are already visible.

e: If someone quotes a post by an ignored user, that part is still hidden.
I'm getting the same thing on my end. I can see posts from ignored users, as well as the "You are ignoring content by this member. Show Ignored Content" bar.

This is on Safari (if that matters)

Oct 27, 2017
When clicking on an embeded youtube video and switching to full screen, instead of showing the video it gets stuck on a wide screen view of the thread and the only thing you can do is hit back.

Android phone using Nightera theme.

Nov 2, 2017
Browsing on an 8 inch tablet in portrait mode results in wasted space on both sides, making everything very narrow.

LightERA looks like this:

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Sirpopopop,

Have you tried to see what the v1.4 looks like with Internet Explorer 11?

It seems like when a post a bit longer than the normal, that post is cut and there is no way see it all.

Can't even read the OP of the v1.4 thread (look at post #1 and #2):
https://i.imgur.com/9y2Rj1H.png

Had no problem with the two previous themes.

Oct 28, 2017
There should be a way to disable the arrows-overlay on phone. It takes up half the screen on a regular iPhone and has hardly any good use.

Oct 27, 2017
Increasing the zoom in Firefox seems to switch the layout to mobile view (with games, hangouts, etc on the bottom). Not a big fan of that considering I need to bump the zoom up a bit with my shit vision.

Nov 2, 2017
Chrome 66, Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 7370

For some inexplicable reason the site insists on using the mobile view on my laptop. I can't change it.

Zooming out doesn't help.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if i'd call it a bug, but it's certainly a technical "issue" that should be fixed with a future release:

Permalinking to a post gives you a link like
https://www.resetera.com/threads/THREADNAME.THREADNUMBER/page-PAGENUMBER#post-POSTNUMBER

The PAGENUMBER, however, is derived from whether or not you're using 100ppp, so roughly 50% (?) of direct links to a post are rather worthless to anyone.

Is there any way this could be changed to linking straight to https://www.resetera.com/posts/POSTNUMBER - which is ppp-agnostic encoding? Or does that screw around with search engines or something like that?

jem

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Site is a complete mess on mobile if you have the scaling set to small.

Minimum width 484 on Android.
Yup.

It's always been bad but this update is near enough unusable. Seems to be automatically using the tablet version of the site...

Here's some screenshots I took:

Here's one with some text being cut off:

I'm running chrome on a Pixel XL with the display size (scaling) set to small.

Sir Guts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ever since switching to NightEra the site isn’t stable. I don’t know if it’s only on my end or not. iOS11

Also in the Image/Media tabs the insert/cancel and embed/cancel are very close to each other

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
Threads no longer load on the PlayStation Vita Web Browser. They did before this update but now they no longer do. It was really convenient to play some games and then quick check threads on here.

Jan 18, 2018
When clicking on an embeded youtube video and switching to full screen, instead of showing the video it gets stuck on a wide screen view of the thread and the only thing you can do is hit back.

Android phone using Nightera theme.
Came to post this. Happens to me also. Android phone Chrome with night era.

Edit: I can't even hit back button in my phone so I have to lock the screen and open it again.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The banner under the OP's avatar should revert back to "Original Poster" instead of "OP" because it's easier to Ctrl+F "Original" to find only their posts instead of having to Ctrl+F the OP's name and having to skip over everyone quoting them.

Echo

Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
User Warned: Thread is for reporting bugs in a relatively neutral tone. This thread is not the place for hostile or aggressive posts.
I honestly don't even know where to begin?

Probably the most mindblowing thing is that there doesn't seem to have been any testing done in browsers outside of Chrome? The new themes and features look and act differently in FireFox/Edge. I see other people posting screenshots and of course they're using Chrome, but FireFox is my browser and my screen doesn't look anything like what others are posting.

I don't use Edge for browsing, but testing shit, and it too has it's own slew of visual bugs with the new features and themes. Also cross-post, considering how different my version of Era looks in firefox compared to Chrome shots, I can't tell which is bugs and which is just feedback/opinion.

No, no, no, not like this!

• - Old dark theme used my 4K screens to the max, new dark theme has a ton of wasted space on the sides. And actually everywhere really. Click on your profile, it's just a void and it's missing many borders.
  • - Search button used to be a drop-down menu, now it's a totally different page? Why? To give another ad?
  • - The bar which follows me down feels like adware. It's super distracting and annoying. It's also glitchy? Like when I scroll down the topic list or thread it disappears at random and leaves a black bar across the screen instead. ... Which is also super annoying. (Firefox, 64-bit) I can see why it might be useful on mobile but on my desktop I have scroll wheels and can just drag the page bar up myself near instantly. The bottom purple banner from the previous theme was a non-annoying super helpful little thing. Had all the buttons you could need, Top, Refresh, and the four different forum sections.
  • - Boxing avatars, bordering them, and giving them a different BG completely ruins avatars for everyone who uses .pngs for their ability to be transparent.
  • - In the nicest way possible: It's too simple, sometimes that's not bad, but in this case it's bordering on ugliness because of how aesthetically simple it is. The previous dark theme was a great mix of simplicity and beauty. This new one is just a dark void everywhere, separated by things that are either equally dark or oppositely extreme in brightness.
  • Too hard to differentiate topics with new posts from topics without new posts.
  • NightEra is so dark that when I switch to literally any screen that isn't as dark I'm hurting my eyes. The old style had a more subtle greyish tone which was the best of both worlds.
  • Telling people if they don't like it to switch back to the old one is kind of mean spirited when the old ones are now labeled as "Unsupported." Yeah, it will work for now, but the moment a new feature gets added or something changes on the forum then what? Everyone who prefers the older look either moves to the new theme or misses out?
In the nicest way possible, none of this makes sense tbh. I don't see how a whole team of people could look at the old, look at the new, and go "Yeah, this is an improvement." Really tempted to go back to old theme, but now I have to worry about missing future updates. yay.

Oct 25, 2017
The banner under the OP's avatar should revert back to "Original Poster" instead of "OP" because it's easier to Ctrl+F "Original" to find only their posts instead of having to Ctrl+F the OP's name and having to skip over everyone quoting them.
Agreed with this. This is a usability thing and an important one, as of this moment there are 50 counts of OP on this page which would make using the search function for the original poster very hard.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
On my Surface, DayEra appears as the mobile version, which I honestly don't mind aside from being slightly too wide (the rightmost edge gets hidden under the scrollbar). Incidentally to that, for the icons on the bottom-anchored navbar, the hangouts icons (and only the hangouts icons) are stretched on Edge (they render okay on Chrome).

Oct 25, 2017
Msk / SPb, Russia
Don't limit max width. This is something that should be done on the client side, not in the design, especially a forum layout. All screenshots threads are essentially destroyed now.

Oct 25, 2017
Posts are being cut off halfway through on Internet Explorer on both new themes, with no way to expand.

Makes reading posts that are anything other than one or two lines of text impossible.

Oct 28, 2017
Would be nice if the alert pop up still allowed the use of mouse scroll wheel. The new Night theme doesn't scroll there in W10/Edge.

Oct 27, 2017
Yo Eradmins, I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but it looks like the Nesbot twitter has stopped working since the forum update, is this being investigated per chance ?

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Posts are being cut off halfway through on Internet Explorer on both new themes, with no way to expand.

Makes reading posts that are anything other than one or two lines of text impossible.
Can confirm this issue on IE 11 (Don't laugh it's my work machine and they have to use IE11 for various silly reasons).

Only happens on the new Themes, makes the forum completely unusable for IE users.

Sticking with the old themes for now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Another one here seeing the mobile design in my desktop. This is regardless of screen size
Same. I'm using Firefox 60 (Beta, I think, or soon to be final) on Windows 10 1803. My laptop has a 4K screen but is set to display 1080p, if any of that is in any way helpful.

The new mobile dark theme is amazing on my iphone. But i can't stand it on my desktop, lol. Can't find a way to manually change it either (to where the new dark theme knows I'm on a computer, not a phone). I'll use the previous dark theme for now I suppose.

Oct 27, 2017
Came to post this. Happens to me also. Android phone Chrome with night era.

Edit: I can't even hit back button in my phone so I have to lock the screen and open it again.
Yes forgot to mention I was using Chrome as well.

And thank God for having a back button on my phone :P

Oct 25, 2017
Chrome, Windows 10

On DarkEra, clicking on a thread would send you to the first page, while clicking on the flag button to the left of it would send you to the first unread post.
Now on NightEra, clicking on a thread sends you to the first unread post, while clicking on the "refresh" button sends you to the first page.

The problem is when using DarkEra now, hovering the mouse cursor over a thread title shows you this tooltip, which is incorrect:

Oct 26, 2017
www.vgmuseum.com
Don't know if this is a bug or a request, but...

I'm using the default skin, desktop. On the thread list, threads don't show the number of pages. You have to hover over a thread title to see the pages.

I don't know if that's supposed to be like that or not, but if it is, could there be an option to restore that? I want to see how many pages each thread has without having to hover them first.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
surface pro 3 Metro IE and I get the mobile version with the persistent navbar at the bottom.

Oct 26, 2017

The "banner" on the bottom part does not display properly the hangouts logo. It is stretched and blurry. Could this have something to do with using a 4k resolution screen? The problem only appeared with the new update.

Nov 17, 2017
Chrome for Android on HTC U11, viewing the forums in Landscape Mode

When scrolling through posts in the thread, the footer navigation menu and the "Go Top/Go Bottom/Refresh" menu on the side prevents me from scrolling. I hardly see all of the pages, and half of my screen is my keyboard.

I use Landscape Mode is because of my fat thumbs, and I prefer viewing in Landscape Mode.

1. Is is possible to only show the footer navigation menu when requested, and hide the menu away so I can see more of the screen in Landscape Mode?

2. Same for the side menu to go to top/bottom, and refresh, during scrolling? I know it disappears after a while, but it's a long while. (Okay, ignore this because I can now adjust. It's faster now, but the bottom navigation menu is indeed taking up more spaces than I wanted.)

Status
Not open for further replies.