1.4 Bug Report Thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the appropriate place to post this but I have been having an issue on quoted twitter posts on the mobile browser in android.

There isn't strong demarcation between the embeded tweet and the click to expand post link and most of the time I end up getting routed to the twitter app instead of just expanding the post. Hope it gets fixed.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm on Firefox for Android and I've been getting a lot of browser bugs on this site lately. Having more than 2 tabs open and switching between them can sometimes cause the page to refresh. But on this refresh, the browser will stop drawing the page and all I get is gray or black even after the page has finished loading. This has happened at least once a day since the themes were updated and it only happens with this site. Is it a bug you can guys fix, or is it a Firefox bug? I'm just not sure how to consistently reproduce it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might have stumbled onto a weird formatting bug. I clicked the more options button on the reply window, and then from there hit the preview. After posting, it somehow formats the font color to black, making it hard for people on the Dark Theme to read. It only happened once, so I don't know if the glitch is real or not. Tried to reproduce it but it didn't happen again.

Mint

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I really apologize if this has been addressed, but what is up with gboard predictive text and this website? It changes your words after you select the word you want to use. It only happens on this website. Sometimes after you click the word you are trying to use, it will just change the word to complete jumble that does not even make sense.
I feel like gboard has been fucked up on here for a while now. Even on iOS, when I use the trackpad cursor select, the entire page gets all screwed up and starts jumping around everywhere. Honestly, I don't even bother posting from mobile anymore because it's a pain.

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone having issues pressing play on YT videos on mobile ERA? I can’t seem to press to play the embedded videos posted on here

I’m on Safari, iPhone 6s

Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Can't play embedded YouTube videos on mobile anymore. Galaxy S9+ with Chrome browser. Android 8.0.0.

The website doesn't play nice with my Samsung Chromebook Pro anymore either; it uses the mobile site regardless of it's in laptop or tablet mode, and Chrome doesn'tgive me the option to access the desktop version. Chrome OS Version 66.0.3359.203 using Chrome browser. It works ok in full screen, but doesn't resize properly when I snap the window to one side of the screen. It also leaves a significant amount of wasted horizontal space that becomes annoying when I accidentally scroll right. It causes text to sometimes be completely cut off while snapped. It also used to work just fine, and still does on my Windows desktop.

Otherwise, I love the new look. Especially Night theme. Maybe it's just me and my eyes adjusted, but do the purple highlights seem dimmer than at launch? If so, I prefer it. The launch version was way to bright. Thanks for everything you all do! :D

Oct 25, 2017
I really apologize if this has been addressed, but what is up with gboard predictive text and this website? It changes your words after you select the word you want to use. It only happens on this website. Sometimes after you click the word you are trying to use, it will just change the word to complete jumble that does not even make sense.
I've had that but I thought it was a gboard problem in general. Is it only this site? Half the time the word doesn't actually change for me, even though the predictions change as though the original word correctly changed.

Oct 25, 2017
Beaverton, OR
Embedded YouTube videos are unclickable on iOS randomly. I’ve reproduced it on multiple devices now.
I’ve seen this. Also when there are a lot of embeds, Safari crashes. For example the “greatest classic era simpsons scene” thread. (iOS 11.4, iPhone 7+, Night Era theme, 100ppp)

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Since the upgrade I've been getting an email every time I get an alert, and I'm not sure what's triggering this.

EDIT: Never mind, I am dumb and found the option to turn it off.

Oct 30, 2017
I flicked through but didn't see this reported so sorry if it's a repeat but on Android Firefox Nightera - if you pinch zoom to look at an image or whatever, the bottom navigation bar and right quick access bar also zoom (to comically large sizes) blocking the image almost competely.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Not sure if this has been posted, but I've had this bug for a long time where the quoted video doesn't get cut off by the quote, but overlaps the text below it. I have to expand the quote to be able to read the text. I'm using Chrome.

OP
OP
Sirpopopop

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted, but I've had this bug for a long time where the quoted video doesn't get cut off by the quote, but overlaps the text below it. I have to expand the quote to be able to read the text. I'm using Chrome.

This is a Chrome issue.

The fixes applied feature trade offs that aren't worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I am getting this weird rubberbanding issue on mobile Chrome. It first loads the page (EtcetEra for instance), and then after few seconds finishes loading the page and skips to different section of the view.

Edit.
I did some testing and it seems the rubberbanding (caused by slow loading) is caused by combination of using DayEra/NightEra style and being logged in. Also this might be Chrome related as Firefox didn't do the same (it had the same pause in the loading though, but not the rubberbanding).

My phone is Oneplus 3 with Android Oreo 8.0.0 if that makes any difference.
I'm getting this issue on mobile chrome on my Note 8. I'm also having issues where after initially clicking a thread I have to watch the bottom bar jiggle around for 10 seconds before it jumps to where the last read post is.

On top of that, I'm getting an issue where my clicks are not appropriately registering on the navigation buttons or bottom bar.

Also, I'm seeing an issue where typing on the default Samsung keyboard is skipping spaces. This does not happen anywhere else.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I’ve been having an annoying issue. I’m on an iPhone SE using the latest version of ios11 and I use Safari.

Every time I click on a link to open in a new tab in the background, none of the embedded links will load: so no twitter, youtube etc. I’m constantly forced to refresh each time I click on a tab.

Oct 25, 2017
On mobile Chrome the bottom banner doesn't properly register my touches about half of the time. Like I will touch Watched and instead I end up selecting a bottom underneath that I couldn't actually see.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at my wit's end here. For several weeks now that i can't embed images on mobile. It used to be mildly annoying as i could just use my laptop for these posts but now that i'm without access to a PC for the foreseeable future it just completely prevents me from embedding any image into any post. This happens both on my mobile phone and on my Kindle. Either i can't even get a workable link to embed or when i do, it appears as broken on Era anyway. I tried direct links, image hosting sites, BB codes. I got nothing.

I have no idea how to solve this after a few days of butting my head against it. I know this is probably not the best thread for this particular issue but i posted it on previous threads without success. Can someone please help me or point me in the right direction?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting an issue I've never encountered before. I'm on mobile with Samsug Galaxy S7 using Google Chrome and LightEra. When I try and hit the refresh button, my tap seems to toggle onto the scroll to top button. Whenever it happens once, any time I use the refresh button it will scroll to top and onky refreshing the actual page will fix it.

OP
OP
Sirpopopop

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
So I have been seeing this quite a bit. The fix appears to be something along the lines of adding the below CSS to the ".messageContent a" CSS selector:
Code:
word-break: break-all;
We're probably going to be trying overflow-wrap or word-break to see if that changes things any. I wouldn't expect this to be live updated soon though. We'll need to test this fix on a bunch of devices, since it's not a problem most of us here see.

We could use some testing help if anyone is available to help.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
We're probably going to be trying overflow-wrap or word-break to see if that changes things any. I wouldn't expect this to be live updated soon though. We'll need to test this fix on a bunch of devices, since it's not a problem most of us here see.

We could use some testing help if anyone is available to help.
Latest Chrome here. I see it also on Chrome for Android.

The fix I shared I tested the change using chrome debugger and it worked as expected. Nothing else really stood out as the issue, but the fact that long links weren't being broken and instead cause the post body to expand outside of the container space.

I would recommend testing at least with Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari for desktop and Safari Mobile and Chrome for Android at minimum. I can help with anything not mac or iOS if needed.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at my wit's end here. For several weeks now that i can't embed images on mobile. It used to be mildly annoying as i could just use my laptop for these posts but now that i'm without access to a PC for the foreseeable future it just completely prevents me from embedding any image into any post. This happens both on my mobile phone and on my Kindle. Either i can't even get a workable link to embed or when i do, it appears as broken on Era anyway. I tried direct links, image hosting sites, BB codes. I got nothing.

I have no idea how to solve this after a few days of butting my head against it. I know this is probably not the best thread for this particular issue but i posted it on previous threads without success. Can someone please help me or point me in the right direction?
Anyone?

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
A couple issues I just noticed: (using Chrome for IOS on iPad mini)

On Light/Dark themes, when viewing the thread list, the "thread display options" button partially covers the "last page number" and "next page" buttons, making them hard to hit.

On Day/Night themes, the forum menu at the bottom of the screen covers the "theme chooser" and "help" links, rendering them unusable.

Oct 25, 2017
I pointed this out when 1.4 first launched, but it still persists so I figured I'd post it once more.

An unfortunate consequence of the excessive right/left padding. The icons in the floating bar up top go outside its boundaries because there simply isn't enough room for them if your window is small enough (half-width of a 1080p display in my case).

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting an issue I've never encountered before. I'm on mobile with Samsug Galaxy S7 using Google Chrome and LightEra. When I try and hit the refresh button, my tap seems to toggle onto the scroll to top button. Whenever it happens once, any time I use the refresh button it will scroll to top and onky refreshing the actual page will fix it.
This poster (me) is a dumbass who meant DayEra. To follow up, I can sometimes hit refresh but only when I aim my tap below the refresh button like my tap is somehow being translated upwards. Also have occasional issues with tapping the bottom 5 buttons which I think might be the same problem as sometimes I'll highlight text above the buttons instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the issue you are facing is an inability to use the image BBCode button?
Ok so when i try to embed an image, it just won't appear. Like this:

If i choose to edit the post, the link won't even show up in the message box, although it will show up, still broken, if i click preview. Pretty much the same thing happens when using BB code. I never had any problems on desktop.

While writing this post on the Kindle, it worked, and the image was showing. Decided to try on mobile and nope, not working. Android and DarkEra if it helps.

Oct 25, 2017

If i choose to edit the post, the link won't even show up in the message box, although it will show up, still broken, if i click preview. Pretty much the same thing happens when using BB code. I never had any problems on desktop.

While writing this post on the Kindle, it worked, and the image was showing. Decided to try on mobile and nope, not working. Android and DarkEra if it helps.
Testing on Kindle:

Working fine, apparently.

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any other way to block a thread without a plugin when you can't ignore the thread creator because they are a moderator?

edit: nevermind, it seems to have fixed itself somehow?

Last edited:

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a bug with the new themes while using the Edge browser. When selecting NightEra, I'm given the mobile version of the website rather than the desktop. It works correctly if I choose the legacy themes.

Oct 29, 2017
A couple issues I just noticed: (using Chrome for IOS on iPad mini)

On Light/Dark themes, when viewing the thread list, the "thread display options" button partially covers the "last page number" and "next page" buttons, making them hard to hit.

On Day/Night themes, the forum menu at the bottom of the screen covers the "theme chooser" and "help" links, rendering them unusable.
I agree with this one too. Like I mentioned before, I think the forum menu should auto-hide and/or hide on scroll down. It's especially annoying when trying to type a reply on mobile and the cursor is covered up by the menu. That's bad ux there.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having an issue with embedded Twitter links not loading 90% of the time. It just shows the Twitter logo in the space where the tweet should load.

I don't have any ad blockers enabled on ERA and no anti-virus stuff blocking anything. This has only started in the last couple days.

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of Android users have been having a super annoying bug with GBoard. I thought it was just me, but there's a thread with multiple people talking about it. For example:

Yuuuuup. Same. I meant to make a thread about it a long ass time ago. Been having this problem specifically on this website since it opened up.

I'll spell a word wrong, the autocorrected option will pop up at the top of my keyboard under the suggestions, I'll touch it, and then it'll replace my word with some jumbled mess. Dunno why it happens here specifically. Doesn't happen on any other website or with any other app.
I HAVE THIS SAME THING. I think I asked once about it and no one answered. I figured I was going insane or my GBoard was just specifically screwed up or something.

I can type a word, tap the correct word, and it will act like it corrected it (e.g. the suggested words will change to a reasonable word that would follow the word I just tapped, or a similar word)...but the actual typed word will stay the same or change to garbage letters.

I have no idea how one website might be doing something different that would affect the actual GBoard interaction.

*edit* I feel like when I finally updated GBoard several months back, autocorrect got worse, but that's one of those practically unprovable things. The gibberish words or not changing when you tap a word DEFINITELY happens at least on Era and it drives me insane though.
Is there any possibility Xenforo has some sort of incompatibility that messes with how GBoard would change a word when you tap the suggestion?

*edit again* Someone else mentioned that Xenforo and Chrome specifically seem to have this problem on multiple websites. It would seem GBoard autocorrect works fine elsewhere.

Last edited:

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

What you're attempting to embed is a video, so you'll need to use the media tag.

Oct 25, 2017
What you're attempting to embed is a video, so you'll need to use the media tag.

It's a gif though. I've always used the embed image button, both on PC and on Kindle, as it should be. I don't understand why it would be different on a mobile phone. I'll make another post on my phone with the exact same link and see what happens.

As for the codes, i just gave up. It's obvious this is on me but i can't for the life of me get them to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.