• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
http://www.1weekinvr.com/

So someone is attempting to spend a whole week full-stop in VR. Technically there are 30 second intervals where he may need to take it off or switch between headsets, but is otherwise living a pure virtual life. Some of my friends sleep in VRChat now, so I've seen this first-hand to a smaller degree, and there have been other attempts at this, some lasting a few days. But this will take the cake if he succeeds.

He's really thought it through too: "The subject's living space has no windows, he will attempt to maintain his circadian rhythm via simulated day/night cycles."

He does Yoga to help stay calm as well.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
goodbye-real-world-1713518.png

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I can't even spend 30 minutes in VR without my vision getting blurry and the visor being covered in so much sweat it's unseeable.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah having a screen that close to your eyeballs for a whole week can't be good... I adore VR but I would never dream of spending anything more than a few hours at a time in there. This is intense.

I kinda like that someone's doing it though! Crazy bastard. That headset is gonna be gross and sweaty by the end. Throw it away.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
He's playing Apex Legends in it. Come on, at least play VR stuff!

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His circadian rythm will probably run long unless he's able to trick his brain that the virtual night is actually night...

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Why do it with some bulky headset on your head tho? Why not just video chat or be on the phone?
Because it would feel more like a real sleepover. You have that social presence.

But the bulk stops me from participating personally. Wouldn't mind with a much smaller form factor though.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
next the VR headset will be hacked and the subject will be stuck in Sword Art Online Virtual Reality forever.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still, the point is that people do it to be around others. They want to feel connected, not alone in the night.
nah, I can't relate to that at all. I never knew anyone who liked sleep overs to "be around others at night." It was just to hang with your friends.

Being around other people is like the opposite of how I want to sleep.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Then he can't leave the VR world when the time is up and the anime really starts. Wonder how long till he gets his harem.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Dude is about to feel phantom VR limb syndrome full fucking force. I've had it once and it SUCKS even for like 5min

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's really dismissive. VR is important to many people, including those who are more comfortable with themselves in VR than out of it and have genuine friends in it. Sleeping in VR is an extension of that.
I have terrible severe social anxiety and I agree that VR is really amazing for social interaction, just the notion that people would sleep in VR just for the company though is really depressing to me though.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Quick question for someone who doesn't use VR headsets a whole lot.

I'm assuming that even if it had just a static black screen, the backlight on the screen would still give enough of an ambient glow to really fuck with you.

Do they have any sort of brightness control he would be able to get to?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
If he hasn't experienced symptoms associated with the vergence-accomodation conflict by now, he probably will then.