• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait

How would food work

EDIT: Ok just checked and his method just seems needlessly inconvenient if he's just gonna use an external camera

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Sleep in VR chat huh? What's the point of that exactly, to be uncomfortable?
Not at all you can wear the headsets pretty comfortably in bed tbh. I've done it plenty of times.
Mostly just to be around other people. That's why sleepovers are a thing.
Yeah it's pretty easy to forget about the headset when you're talking and having a sleepover with friends you've made. It's hard to do sleepovers IRL I'm gonna be real honest. And if you're able to do that just by putting a headset on it makes it much more accessible some people. Can't do it because of space reasons, some because they are socially awkward but able to talk to a select few in VR.
The idea is sound, but the weight and wires would stop me from doing it.

But with much smaller, comfortable headsets, I'd certainly have virtual sleepovers if there's a group arrangement.
Most people have come up with ways around it like with a hammock or sleepin on the floor with a bunch of sleeping bags to sorta immerse yourself. It's sorta uncomfortable but it isn't really too much to be with friends.
Why do it with some bulky headset on your head tho? Why not just video chat or be on the phone?
It's more of a "seeing the other person infront of you" It's just different. You're a lot more expressive in VR, and especially in VRChat compared to just a videochat, or being on the phone.

I mean hey, given the bulk, it's a bit insane, even I'll admit.

I don't think this will be that insane in a decade or two though. As someone else mentioned, VR would be an extension of your body - or reality (AR too).
eventually the headset and cables become an extension of ones own body
That's really dismissive. VR is important to many people, including those who are more comfortable with themselves in VR than out of it and have genuine friends in it. Sleeping in VR is an extension of that.

These three are seriously really true. A lot of the people I talk to on VRChat, sometimes just forget the headset is on and we've all basically done some stupid stuff IRL after taking the headset off like doing specific VRChat things IRL which is in a way awkward but sometimes it's not. Regardless I can almost guarentee the people I met are lifelong friends, and I can't really say I would have met these people IRL or at all if it wasn't for VR.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
So many dismissive and cynical people in this thread. Let this man live his Sword Art Online dream. I can't wait till we get to that level but he's definitely attempting a watered down version of it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I can last at most 2-4 hours in a single VR session before my head itches and the Vive Wireless Adapter starts to burn my hair.

This guy's gonna drive himself mad, lol.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yes, though I don't join in. VRChat does feel like a second life though with things like dance clubs, card games, movie theaters, so it's not as weird as it sounds, though still a bit insane with the current headset weight.

Yeah it really does feel like it sometimes but if you think about it each room is it's own thread, and everyones just talking in them. The headset weight tho doesn't really feel too bad on the newer revisions of the headsets.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So no shower for a week? What about food and going to the bathroom ?

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have VR Chat friends that spend most of their days in VR, sleeping included, and a lot of them do 12-24 hours regularly. My eyes are shot after about 6-8 hours of straight VR.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So no shower for a week? What about food and going to the bathroom ?
He is going to be doing that too, and same with food and bathroom stuff.

I have VR Chat friends that spend most of their days in VR, sleeping included, and a lot of them do 12-24 hours regularly. My eyes are shot after about 6-8 hours of straight VR.

It's sorta crazy but I'd expect my eyes to be red after a while in VR, but it doesn't at all. It might be because I am moving my eyes around a lot and not focusing of on one part of the screen.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I've mistakenly fallen asleep in VR multiple times but the craziest was when I fell asleep with No Limit Coasters 2 on and woke up in virtual night time on a roller coaster. I was so fucking confused for 5 seconds lol

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question for someone who doesn't use VR headsets a whole lot.

I'm assuming that even if it had just a static black screen, the backlight on the screen would still give enough of an ambient glow to really fuck with you.

Do they have any sort of brightness control he would be able to get to?

The major PC VR headsets have OLED screens, meaning they have no backlight.

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
iNquGlI.jpg

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
People thinking the whole sleeping in VRChat is weird, just you wait in like 20 years from now when the tech devlops and there's full on VR MMORPG's with gigantic worlds and life-like VR people are gonna fucking die they will play so much.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
It's doable I guess, but it can't be good for you? I have no idea.

I just know that I recently tried VR for a
first time (high end equipmend and all) and it was such a letdown of an experience.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
People thinking the whole sleeping in VRChat is weird, just you wait in like 20 years from now when the tech devlops and there's full on VR MMORPG's with gigantic worlds and life-like VR people are gonna fucking die they will play so much.
This. VRMMORPGs will become their new life for a sector of people. Sleeping is one thing, but people will also eat (food will be scanned in), cook, do chores (AR mode), experience all their media inside on a virtual TV, and just live out a brand new life. I'm sure we'll have a metaverse at that point which goes well beyond an MMO.