• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Cross-posting this bit from arstechnica.com:

I thought it was weird that Microsoft handed me that compromise-filled preview (Dirt 5) as my first example of a Series X 120fps game. Didn't seem very show-of-force of them. A few days later, an updated build of 2019's Gears 5 landed on my Series X. This should've been my first taste of 120fps on Series X, I immediately thought.

The versus matchmaking suite can go all the way to the system's 120fps maximum all while running at 4K resolution. I immediately booted my PC version of the game and created dummy lobbies in order to create like-for-like comparisons to show you how a $500 console's 120fps mode compares to the same thing on a $1,500+ PC:
If you're struggling to notice any differences, you're not alone. What's crazier is, these crisp, detailed images full of handsome touches are appearing in isolation, as opposed to the dazzlingly smooth flipbook effect of running, somersaulting, and shotgunning at 120fps. Yet Xbox Series X doesn't sweat in rendering these frames at a blistering 8.33 millisecond threshold with barely any noticeable lurches in my hours of testing (and, again, with zero noticeable noise spewing out of the console at peak load). There's no getting around it: Series X is a fundamental game-changer in terms of console power, and Gears 5's buttery smooth 120fps toggle has me instantly excited at the prospect of other console-game developers following suit.

arstechnica.com

Xbox Series X unleashed: Our unrestricted preview

In good news, we finally have a stunning 120fps game. But not much else, games-wise.

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020

I thought it was weird that Microsoft handed me that compromise-filled preview (Dirt 5) as my first example of a Series X 120fps game. Didn't seem very show-of-force of them. A few days later, an updated build of 2019's Gears 5 landed on my Series X. This should've been my first taste of 120fps on Series X, I immediately thought.

The versus matchmaking suite can go all the way to the system's 120fps maximum all while running at 4K resolution. I immediately booted my PC version of the game and created dummy lobbies in order to create like-for-like comparisons to show you how a $500 console's 120fps mode compares to the same thing on a $1,500+ PC:
If you're struggling to notice any differences, you're not alone. What's crazier is, these crisp, detailed images full of handsome touches are appearing in isolation, as opposed to the dazzlingly smooth flipbook effect of running, somersaulting, and shotgunning at 120fps. Yet Xbox Series X doesn't sweat in rendering these frames at a blistering 8.33 millisecond threshold with barely any noticeable lurches in my hours of testing (and, again, with zero noticeable noise spewing out of the console at peak load). There's no getting around it: Series X is a fundamental game-changer in terms of console power, and Gears 5's buttery smooth 120fps toggle has me instantly excited at the prospect of other console-game developers following suit.

arstechnica.com

In good news, we finally have a stunning 120fps game. But not much else, games-wise.
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
is there any major difference with gears 5 SXS verion and pc maxxed out? looks phenomenal, as always, regardless

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
I'll have to replay the campaign.

Yup...same

tenor.gif

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Those comments. Amazing to read about gears 5. The series x is going to pump out some amazing looking, and running games.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

arstechnica.com

Nice!

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Wait, the 120fps mode is 4k native?

Head to Ars to see versus mode comparisons between Ultra settings on PC and 120fps settings on Series X. Resolution is very close to 4K, while certain settings are scaled down, though some of the differences in the images boil down to tone-map corrections from HDR to SDR.

Direct link to that page in the four-page feature:

arstechnica.com

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Gears 5 on Xbox Series X is running at higher settings than what is available on the PC version of Gears 5.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Gears 5 is such a looker......how in hell some of you didn't play it on PC? Definitely get it on XSX if you are going that route. Great protagonists as well.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
When it comes to load times, the Series X version of Gears 5 handily beat out even a high-end PC equipped with an NVMe 3.0 drive (which stored both the Windows OS and the game). After testing a variety of Gears 5 campaign save files, I found a 75 percent improvement for the console version; 53-second loads on my PC were as short as 12 seconds on my Xbox Series X for identical content.

In case you skimmed over that paragraph: That's not comparing Series X load times to older consoles. That's comparing Series X load times to a top-of-the-line PC.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Gears 5 honestly still looks incredible. Everything from the particle effects, the reflections and the character expressions is insane to me. So much great detail to everything...

Really excited to see what more next-gen optimized game engines will be able to pull off. The Coalition and Sony Santa Monica are two I'm really looking forward to seeing with regards to next gen gaming

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks awesome but I don't really want to play Gears 5 again (I did really enjoy it though).

I wish they went the Spiderman route and added some Gears 5 DLC that we could playthrough for launch.
Then we'd get to enjoy these shiny new GFX well playing something new(ish)

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Ooof one of my launch games and looks amazing cannot wait!!! I loved Gears 4, so I'm very excited for this

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
When it comes to load times, the Series X version of Gears 5 handily beat out even a high-end PC equipped with an NVMe 3.0 drive (which stored both the Windows OS and the game). After testing a variety of Gears 5 campaign save files, I found a 75 percent improvement for the console version; 53-second loads on my PC were as short as 12 seconds on my Xbox Series X for identical content.

In case you skimmed over that paragraph: That's not comparing Series X load times to older consoles. That's comparing Series X load times to a top-of-the-line PC.

Good to hear, Gears 5 load times are quite beefy.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ars write up os great. Can someone post the breakdown of what this includes? I saw a slide somewhere.

Oct 28, 2017
Been looking forward to Gears Tactics. Seems quite interesting. Never played tactical style games on pc before so I'm sure there will be a learning curve.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Was Gears 5 4k/60fps on the One X? What graphical details should I be looking for that were turned up for the next gen update?

Jun 22, 2018
Was Gears 5 4k/60fps on the One X? What graphical details should I be looking for that were turned up for the next gen update?
Yes, it was Dynamic 4k/60fps on 1X, except 30fps for cutscenes.

Digital Foundry went through an early build for the XSX which added 60fps cutscenes, higher quality textures, longer draw distances and better LOD settings, global illumination lighting.

This has been in the works a lot longer now and probably has other things.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Gears 5 was upgrade to pc max setting plus UE4 RT G. i for xbsx. I hope that is also coming to pc as well. Unlike Gears 4 which was abandoned (no hdr nor dolby atmos).

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, didn't see this thread, but as I mentioned in the older one I bumped, it's nice to see improved controls in Tactics.