• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Master the elements in this stealth game where everything burns. Use your elemental powers to start fires, freeze water, and move earth as you outsmart superstitious enemies in this mischievous 2D stealth game.

Originally funded on Kickstarter back in 2015, Wildfire is just about to release via Humble's publishing arm (also available on Steam). The game is sort of 2D immersive sim with a focus on environmental interactivity, optional co-op, thoughtful AI systems and—as the title suggests—lots of fire propagation.

PC-only release for now, out May 26th.

Last edited:

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This looks lovely. And this gameplay probably is infinitely more creative than I could ever come up with, haha.

Powers seem super versatile, first 3 minutes I had no idea what was happening.

Dec 6, 2017
US
This looks lovely. And this gameplay probably is infinitely more creative than I could ever come up with, haha.

Powers seem super versatile, first 3 minutes I had no idea what was happening.

I assume you're referring to the video but I had no clue what was going on either but thought it was really charming.

Put it on my watchlist. The only question was the Co-op thing but I see that's optional. I'll probably buy it, looks like a lot of fun to figure out.

ThePhotoshop

May 20, 2020
Australia
Developer here, thanks for watching the gameplay! To explain the basics: you can control the elements (fire, water, and earth) by "taking" an element from the environment into your hands, then throwing it somewhere else. Like taking fire from a campfire and using it to ignite a bridge, or taking grass and throwing it at a wall to create a vine to climb up.

We're super inspired by Avatar: The Last Airbender and wanted to make a stealth game where the elemental interactions were about giving you increased utility and mobility. We basically set out to make Thief/Dishonored/Mark of the Ninja, by way of Avatar.

And yes, co-op is entirely optional! The whole campaign is the same for both singleplayer and (same-screen only) co-op.

The announcement trailer gives you a good idea of how the game works and some of the possible interactions:

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Developer here, thanks for watching the gameplay! To explain the basics: you can control the elements (fire, water, and earth) by "taking" an element from the environment into your hands, then throwing it somewhere else. Like taking fire from a campfire and using it to ignite a bridge, or taking grass and throwing it at a wall to create a vine to climb up.

We're super inspired by Avatar: The Last Airbender and wanted to make a stealth game where the elemental interactions were about giving you increased utility and mobility. We basically set out to make Thief/Dishonored/Mark of the Ninja, by way of Avatar.

And yes, co-op is entirely optional! The whole campaign is the same for both singleplayer and (same-screen only) co-op.

The announcement trailer gives you a good idea of how the game works and some of the possible interactions:

Thanks for chiming in, the game looks great!

I especially like the incentive for not reloading mid-mission. I think that's pretty clever.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

So how did you go about making air not broken? Because it's clearly the best element of course.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Two more reviews:

Saving Content 4/5
Sneaky Bastards understands that stealth doesn't have to be boring, and encourages creativity in Wildfire. With each upgrade or new passive meteor shard, I was drawn back to older levels to see if it was easier to complete a task I had to skip out on prior. The game has a great flow of risk and reward amid its stealth. Add in the emergent layer of manipulating your environment and the enemies around you, and you have a game teeming with unpredictability. Wildfire is chaotic and wonderful, all enacted by the spark of a flame.

Last edited: