• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This is looking amazing so far.

What are the chances we'll get The Lion King, Alien Storm and Super Thunder Blade?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Europe will get Super Fantasy Zone and Earthworm Jim!! :O
And the Contra Hard Corps/Probotector wording probably means that we will get region select!

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think it will happen. Unlike the NES/SNES Classic that have their own emus, I really doubt the Genesis Mini will have an emu that will work with other games if the console is hacked. I mean, I hope it does to avoid using Retroarch, but I doubt it.

Why do you think so? You think M2 games will be separate apps? You need something to run these games

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we could see Mega Man: The Wily Wars from Capcom show up on this. Almost anything seems possible now.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck

Holy crap, this is potentially huge on multiple levels if SEGA's been working with Disney on rereleasing their old stuff! This excerpt from a DualShockers article last year suddenly looks very promising:

"With Virtua Racing on Switch, [M2 will] reproduce the original arcade version and even improve it. They're using a functioning Sega Model 1 arcade system board for research. They've got a great grasp of it and could even make a Switch version of Model-1's Star Wars Arcade game if they had the authorization, and they hope they will."

241c4ac43c9c430e11623a530b8d53338f008a8c_hq.gif

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Holy shit, Sega did go to the ULTRA FUCKING HARDCORE way with the Megadrive Mini: Dyna Brothers 2 Special and Game no Kanzume Otokuyou are both Sega Channel exclusives and the last one is a compilation of the Sega Game Toshokan games that only were available... on the motherfucking Mega Modem.

Is like the Super Famicom Mini were included with Satellaview games.

Kudos to Sega in Japan for that type of shit.
M2 always goes out of their way for stuff like this. IIRC there was a Street Fighter game for Genesis they did on Wii Virtual Console where they managed to convince Nintendo to let them incorporate online play, because it had support for it with the Mega Modem (which means probably only like two people ever took advantage of it).

I wonder if we could see Mega Man: The Wily Wars from Capcom show up on this. Almost anything seems possible now.
I'm honestly leaning towards it showing up on the console. It always seemed weird that it was banished to the Sega Channel in the US.

But yeah, if they get any Capcom support, Mega Man will probably be there. They're really pulling out some obscure picks.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This is already better than the SNES Mini and we're only half-way through the game announcements.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obscure question, but given this is M2, is it possible that Contra Hard Corps will have the English translation but option for the easier Japanese difficulty level? That is, the life bar instead of 1-hit deaths?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Obscure question, but given this is M2, is it possible that Contra Hard Corps will have the English translation but option for the easier Japanese difficulty level? That is, the life bar instead of 1-hit deaths?

They said they're not making changes to the ROMs beyond bug fixes and fixes for epilepsy flashes and the like, but you'll at least be able to switch between regional ROMs.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This console is a fucking winner till now.

So In.

Gimme Soleil though

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, M2 handling emulation for a western game like Earthworm Jim is weirdly exciting to me. This things lineup is really shaping up to be something special.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
There was maybe only one game on the SNES Classic whose inclusion was a headscratcher for me, but overall it's a stellar lineup. Hell, it came with a whole-ass previously unreleased game from the Nintendo vault.

But holy shit Sega actually going out of their way to get not one, but both Genesis Illusion games on here. I loudly wished for it in every thread on this thing but I didn't think it'd actually happen

I am just so over the moon right now guys you dont even understand

Wow, M2 handling emulation for a western game like Earthworm Jim is weirdly exciting to me. This things lineup is really shaping up to be something special.
They handled the Wii VC release, too!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
There was maybe only one game on the SNES Classic whose inclusion was a headscratcher for me, but overall it's a stellar lineup. Hell, it came with a whole-ass previously unreleased game from the Nintendo vault.
SNES mini would have been really hard to screw up imo, they could have kept it to first-party games only and most people would still be fine with it.

I think the onus on Sega to deliver on third party stuff was higher because their legacy content has been re-released so many times - like what would the advantage be, besides M2 emulation for getting this over the Genesis colletion on Steam? But they're doing great so far.

I also don't think MUSHA is necessarily ruled out for the non-Japanese models, like someone mentioned in the other thread, Sonic 2 was only revealed for Japan at first but announced for the US/EU anyway.

Oct 29, 2017

It's not the first time... Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 were released on the Wii VC (M2 did all of the MD and SMS emulation for the Wii VC); so this is the second time they've worked on Earthworm Jim 1.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Earthworm Jim :O

Now all I need are Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes, and Rocket Knight and I'm good to go.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

But holy shit Sega actually going out of their way to get not one, but both Genesis Illusion games on here. I loudly wished for it in every thread on this thing but I didn't think it'd actually happen

I am just so over the moon right now guys you dont even understand
!

the real problem with the SNESC (and the NESC) is that the games were pretty much the safest, most predictable games they could have picked-- even if a majority are classics. Barring Star Fox 2, which is an interesting curiosity but not a very good game, nothing surprised me on the SNES classic.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nice. EWJ is one of my favs of that era. Not the superior Mega CD version, but I'll take it!

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
All the games that have been announced for the US/EU versions thus far:

http://genesismini.sega.com/
Yeah, i just saw it. Great list! Are we expecting Street of Rage 2 for this little thing, amirite?

I'm also waiting to see Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier, and probably Mortal Kombat. Alien Soldier is probably one of the best side scrollers gunners there is to this very day. Absolutely amazing game

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, i just saw it. Great list! Are we expecting Street of Rage 2 for this little thing, amirite?

I'm also waiting to see Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier, and probably Mortal Kombat. Alien Soldier is probably one of the best side scrollers gunners there is to this very day. Absolutely amazing game
Scroll down lol. SOR2 is listed.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It's magnificent isn't it.

Return of the king.

Genesis does!

It would have been so easy for them to just give us the games that are on the Steam compilation and call it a day but the games selection we're getting is quite ambitious and at times esoteric in the case of the Japanese version. There is so much care being put into it, it's truly worlds apart from the ATGames crap we've had to endure stinking up the Mega Drive's reputation.

Apr 21, 2018
Now that licences games are confirmed. I wonder if Japanese games will have the best fighting game on the System. Yuyu Hakusho from Treasure.

There are former Treasure's staff at M2 so it's possible !

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Now that licences games are confirmed. I wonder if Japanese games will have the best fighting game on the System. Yuyu Hakusho from Treasure.

There are former Treasure's staff at M2 so it's possible !

That game's synonymous with the muti-tap in Japan, so it'd be gutsy to put it out again without the option for 4 players.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I love that they threw together mockup US boxart for Super Fantasy Zone, even if it is just the EU boxart with the Genesis logo instead of the Mega Drive one.

That they're not averse to putting games on that didn't debut in the US/outside of Japan in general until the advent of digital platforms might mean Monster World IV is a real possibility, too.

SNES mini would have been really hard to screw up imo, they could have kept it to first-party games only and most people would still be fine with it.

I think the onus on Sega to deliver on third party stuff was higher because their legacy content has been re-released so many times - like what would the advantage be, besides M2 emulation for getting this over the Genesis colletion on Steam? But they're doing great so far.

I also don't think MUSHA is necessarily ruled out for the non-Japanese models, like someone mentioned in the other thread, Sonic 2 was only revealed for Japan at first but announced for the US/EU anyway.
Yeah, agreed on all counts. SNES Classic lacking Chrono Trigger is my only real gripe with it, and that's probably more on Square-Enix than Nintendo.

I'd bet MUSHA'S still in, they'll just make it one of the later announcements, like what they've seemingly done with Sonic 2. It'd definitely (and already kinda has) be overshadowed by the EWJ and Disney reveals.