• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Of these 20 games, I can see never touching Altered Beast. The rest will see play. I'm so excited for this thing in a way I haven't been for any of these mini consoles.

I'm still hoping we see something like the first Mortal Kombat, since that was such a big deal for the Genesis once upon a time. And my "lol no way" pick is NHL 94. If I can hack this thing, It'll be to add NHL 94... Otherwise, I have a Pi, so I'm good.

I know it's breaking the established rules, but I'd love to see the three Phantasy Star games on there...
I get the historical aspect of Altered Beast. The first pack-in. But many, I'm tired of it taking a slot.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Just in the same mushroom top form as the 32x with no way to attach it to anything so it can't ruin any other system it touches imo. Boxed and ready to put directly into a trash can.
unreleased-sega-neptune-prototype.jpg

It rises.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I'm also hoping at least one sports game makes it on here, just because of how important they were to the system

Also the Ooze was on that Sega Heroes survey earlier this week, so at least one person at Sega remembers that game exists

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SoR 3 is a MADLY underappreciated game, and it's a freaking shame because it's actually the best, most modern playing game of the series, basically a Shinobi III equivalent.
I guess people just don't like the excessively experimental and unconventional ost (even though i actually like most of it a lot), while the unnecessary Sega of America meddling utterly ruined the difficulty balance of the game for everyone in the west.
I suggest people to just play the translated Japanese version instead.

The OST is amazing and people suck for not appreciating it but like you said, SoA completely destroyed the game balance and because of this, it's completely understandable why the game isn't loved by many outside of Japan.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Great list so far.

I really hope they manage to put a sneaky Mega CD game or two in there... Preferably Sol Feace...

But I really hope this sells well, I'm getting one for my daughter, one for my mum (who got me the mega drive when it came out) and maybe one for my son when he is older.

But I want a Saturn one next. So many amazing games lost it seems

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Altered Beast is the definition of a wasted slot. Essentially like Sega's Urban Champion.

Dyna Brothers is the head-turner here. If they're willing to dig up obscure Japan-only Sega Channel variants, then you know the project leads are doing their homework.
Sega and M2 also released it on the Japanese Wii Virtual Console way back so it's not completely uncharted ground for them. Actually other than the Konami games and World of Illusion I believe everything so far was already on JP VC or other Sega/M2 joints (Sega Ages, 3D Classics, etc).

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Altered Beast is the definition of a wasted slot. Essentially like Sega's Urban Champion.

I'm of two minds about it. It's NOT a good game, but it's also incredibly nostalgic for anyone who purchased a Genesis before Sonic the Hedgehog became the pack-in. So in that sense, I get why it's here and I wouldn't put it in the same category as something like Urban Champion.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The fact that only the Japanese version comes packaged with 6-button controllers has me wondering what that might imply for possible differences in the game line-up. So, I checked out the Sega JP archives site for a full list of 6-button enhanced games that were released in Japan.

https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software.html
https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html

Published by Sega:

Ex-Ranza / Ranger-X
Art of Fighting
Eternal Champions
Virtua Racing
Bare Knuckle III / Streets of Rage III
Greatest Heavyweights
Yu Yu Hakusho Makyo Toitsusen*
Samurai Spirits / Samurai Shodown
Story of Thor / Beyond Oasis

Published by 3rd party licensees:

Street Fighter II' Plus / Street Fighter II' Special Champion Edition
MiG-29 Fighter Pilot
Dyna Brothers 2*
Battle Mania Daiginjo / Trouble Shooter Vintage*
Davis Cup Tennis
Dragon Ball Z Buyu Retsuden*
Mortal Kombat
Fatal Fury 2
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
Mortal Kombat II
Gouketsuji Ichizoku / Power Instinct*
NFL Quarterback Club '95
True Lies
Maximum Carnage
Batman Forever

* Japan exclusive

So, Dyna Brothers 2 is the only announced game on the Japanese system that's on this list. None of the other Japan-exclusive games on this list strike me as an obvious inclusion. Power Instinct is an Atlus game, so it wouldn't be difficult to include it now that Atlus itself lives under Sega's umbrella, but it's not exactly a marquee title for the system. All the other Japanese exclusives here would have some kind of license to worry about before they could be included.

I wouldn't expect games like Eternal Champions, Streets of Rage III, Street Fighter, or Mortal Kombat to show up on the JP list if they weren't also showing up on the US roster as well, and those games are crippled when played on a 3-button pad.

Although I also know that Contra is a 6-button enhanced game, despite that distinction not being noted on the linked website above. I think you switched between free shot mode and fixed shot mode with the X button.

I don't remember at all what the XYZ buttons are used for in Battle Mania II and I know that I've beaten that game in the past.

And although there hasn't been any indication that they've considered including CD or 32X games on this system, I decided to check those pages as well out of curiosity:

https://sega.jp/history/hard/mega-cd/software.html
https://sega.jp/history/hard/mega-cd/software_l.html
https://sega.jp/history/hard/super32x/software.html
https://sega.jp/history/hard/super32x/software_l.html

Sega CD 1st party:

Wing Commander

Sega CD 3rd party:

Might and Magic III*
Shin Megami Tensei*
Mortal Kombat
WWF Mania Tour / WWF Rage in the Cage
Fatal Fury Special

32X 1st party:

Star Wars Arcade
DOOM
Virtua Racing Deluxe
After Burner Complete
Cyber Brawl / Cosmic Carnage
Metal Head
GOLF MAGAZINE PRESENTS 36 GREAT HOLES STARRING FRED COUPLES
Stellar Assault

32X 3rd party:

Mortal Kombat II
NFL Quarterback Club '95

The original Shin Megami Tensei would be an interesting novelty for legacy reasons, and it's another Atlus get, but again, not exactly a significant representative for the system.

Last edited:

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
crazy good games on there. best opportunity to check out the MD library if you haven't. i own most of these games already but i gotta have it anyway. very curious how good the 6B controllers will be.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
I'm of two minds about it. It's NOT a good game, but it's also incredibly nostalgic for anyone who purchased a Genesis before Sonic the Hedgehog became the pack-in. So in that sense, I get why it's here and I wouldn't put it in the same category as something like Urban Champion.
Exactly. When I bought mine that was the pack-in.

So, while it's not a great game, it was my introduction to the Genesis.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Altered Beast has a great atmosphere in terms of visual design and music. I wouldn't play it more than once or twice at a time but, like, I'd actually touch it unlike fucking Super Thunder Blade. Bleaurgh.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the real dud of this collection is Space Harrier 2. It really doesn't need to be here.

and Ecco the Dolphin *runs*

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Count me in the "I don't care for Altered Beast but understand it's historical significance to the Genesis library" camp.

Kinda feel the same about Space Harrier II, IMO. I'd have went with Super Hang On.

honestrade

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I preordered from Amazon. This lineup is already looking strong and Genesis was my main console at the time. Hoping for Aladdin, Sunset Riders, Road Rash 2, Moonwalker, Strider, Quackshot and Eternal Champions.

john_ick

Dec 4, 2018
I will get both the Japanese (for the games) and the European (for the look of the console) versions.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Count me in the "I don't care for Altered Beast but understand it's historical significance to the Genesis library" camp.

Kinda feel the same about Space Harrier II, IMO. I'd have went with Super Hang On.

Yeah. While playing Shenmue, Hang On is/was my jam. I've never touch Space Harrier.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
The only concern/complaint that i have with M2 is that their image filter options are usually not that great, the bilinear + scanline one is way too dark and the "vintage" crt shader has too much chromatic aberration on it.

Apr 21, 2018
Naw.

I've been spoiled by more recent Forgotten Worlds ports having dual-stick controls. Using the A and C buttons to rotate feels like a sick joke now.

Also, GnG on the Genny has goofy hit-boxes (plus I hate GnG in general).

If Rocket Knight doesn't make it in, completing the perfect Konami/MD trifecta*, then I'm going to blame Capcom. Yes, even if none of their games make it onto the Mini.

*Somebody is gonna bring up Buster's Hidden Treasure, but I didn't much care for that game either. The jumping physics are wonky and the final few levels are trash.
I agree most capcom reprogrammed games are decent but don't deserve a precious slot on the Mini. Capcom was the king of the Saturn, Konami of the Megadrive.

We'll need both of their licences on the Sega CD mini (teased by Sega if the Megadrive succeed) ;)
STAGE_55_SegaCD.png

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
*wakes up to see US list updated*

Okay, getting Castle of Illusion added as well is super cool, not to mention that Earthworm Jim leak turned out to be true. Neat to see Super Fantasy Zone actually coming over.

BUT THERE'S NO MUSHA, WHHHYYYYYY

Also noticed that with the first & 2nd list, there's been 4 region exclusive games so far. I guess when we know all 40 games, about 12-15 will be different overall.

& really, we had to wait for confirmation on Sonic 2? I mean, yeah, OF COURSE it'd be on there, but why make us wait? It slightly makes me hope that Musha gets confirmed with the 3rd or last wave, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've already pre-ordered it, but get me Sonic 3 & Knuckles finally handled by M2 and I'll be hyped as fucked...that being said, the line-up is looking solid so far, still disappointed about the 3 button controller, but hopefully the retrobit ones can be compatible.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Sega's western branches decide to sell the 6-button controllers separately. They really should offer consumers the option to purchase one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The only concern/complaint that i have with M2 is that their image filter options are usually not that great, the bilinear + scanline one is way too dark and the "vintage" crt shader has too much chromatic aberration on it.
M2 are fantastic but yeah, their scanline filters tend to be pretty dark.

I've been spoiled rotten on CRT filters in general by Sonic Mania, though. I've yet to see one that looks as good.

As an aside, I picked up one of the Retrobit 6 button controllers today. It'd be nice if this ended up working with the Mini.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
100 percent. It was translated the last generation and released on Wii, 360 and PS3 as well.
This was honestly one of the most random things I've ever seen a video game company do

Localize a 20 year old game that no one has ever heard of save for a few hard core fans. Just as weird as adding Puyo Tsu online and adding motion controls to Space Harrier for the VC

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
M2 are fantastic but yeah, their scanline filters tend to be pretty dark.

I've been spoiled rotten on CRT filters in general by Sonic Mania, though. I've yet to see one that looks as good.

As an aside, I picked up one of the Retrobit 6 button controllers today. It'd be nice if this ended up working with the Mini.
All those amazing shaders on Retroarch have spoiled me a lot, and it's really hard to go back.

I think good crt filters are almost as important as emulation quality, and it's great to see how pretty much every retrogame rerelease today offers that kind of option at least, i'll never get the "I'M JUST HAPPY WITH GIANT RAW PIXELS BLASTED ALL OVER MY 8K PANEL" crowd.
I would just be happy enough with a sufficiently bright scanline option, though.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I think good crt filters are almost as important as emulation quality, and it's great to see how pretty much every retrogame rerelease today offers that kind of option at least, i'll never get the "I'M JUST HAPPY WITH GIANT RAW PIXELS BLASTED ALL OVER MY 8K PANEL" crowd.

I just get frustrated that few shaders meet the balance of "this was only there because it was baked into the tech" and "this is specifically something that developers thought about in their games' graphic design" as the composite blur filter that Fusion provides. I've never been into the scanlines thing and stuff like chromatic aberration and rainbow banding are things I use emulation to get away from.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
No games in this latest 10 that I know I care for but half the fun of these mini systems is giving games a first/second! Seeing Disney and EWJ gives some hope for EA doing something not evil by way of hooking up with Sega ta put General Chaos and Road Rash on this thing.

I heard from some gaming journalists that they told them that Sega of America and Europe were actually the ones that insisted a lot to ditch the 6 button pad and stick to the original one, so i guess we just have to suck that up, unfortunately.
Comix Zone, Contra Hard Corps, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Thats 3 / 20 games that're less good without a 6 button pad.
Say it with me everyone!

FUCK
NOSTALGIA

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Sega's western branches decide to sell the 6-button controllers separately. They really should offer consumers the option to purchase one.
lol

I can already see myself ending up in the same situation as in the 90s: one 6-button pad for me and a buddy next to me, getting obliterated in Super Street Fighter 2 with his 3-button pad. :P