• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Godly, this could easily be the best mini console yet.
Seriously. I am very impressed. Today's lineup guarantees I'll be getting the JPN version though.
More and more likely it seems Rocket Knight is coming. Remember, that's the 3rd Konami MD game never really ported anywhere or on any collection.
Yeah, here's hoping. I feel like a lot of people don't actually know about Konami's amazing Mega Drive games because they were never ported to anything.
Sonic should transcend any 'one per franchise' thing IMO, he's probably the reason Sega even has the ability to release a Mega Drive Mini to begin with!

They need to just put new music in, go into the rom and add new stuff. I'm sure they know a few Mania guys with that ability!
I definitely disagree. The Mega Drive library has too many amazing games. There isn't room for Sonic bloat.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
220px-Tiny_Toon_Adventures_-_ACME_All-Stars.jpg

This is the Tiny Toons & Sports game this system needs. Its a Genesis exclusive at that!

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely disagree. The Mega Drive library has too many amazing games. There isn't room for Sonic bloat.

1, 2 and 3&K (as one game) is perfectly reasonable, IMO. Like, I've played all those games to death and don't need to ever play them again but they're synonymous with Mega Drive and I'd want and expect them all to be there, especially now that it's evident that they're really putting in work.

Spinball, 3D Blast, etc can get bent.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Good thing about Sonic is that at least we'll be able to get M2 versions of 1 and 2 in a single machine once it gets hacked. 3&K complete would be really nice, but it seems very unlikely. If it's really just the music holding it back, they should really just rip the bandaid, call Tee Lopes and future proof it. Between Lopes' standing in the community due to the ludicrously good Mania soundtrack and the, uh, documentary situation, there's never been a better time for this to happen.

I've been beating that drum for a while. Tee has more than proven himself with the Mania soundtrack.

It's a good idea to futureproof it because it's not like they can just keep rereleasing Sonic 1 and 2 forever. They'll certainly try but eventually we'll reach a point where software is just universally forwards compatible.

Yeah, the GBA release nixed both movie songs.

And yeah, they should honestly just have Tee Lopes do some replacement tracks for Sonic 3.

But wait, in Sonic Mania (& Plus), Hydrocity, Flying Battery & the Lava Reef Zones have more or less retained their original tracks, just remixed.

I think that it only has to do with a few soundtracks from a few zones, such as the obvious theme from Ice Cap Zone ("Hard Times" by The Jetzons), Launch Base Zone & the mid-boss theme from Sonic 3 (though that has gotten replaced with a new soundtrack once Sonic & Knuckles had officially released).

I don't see what's the big deal with the songs other than those.

Last edited:

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why but I'm way more excited for this than the Nintendo minis. I really hope they nail the emulation

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember seeing any Disney games on the NES or SNES Classic...Genesis does what Nintendon't! What a great lineup of games so far.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
1, 2 and 3&K (as one game) is perfectly reasonable, IMO. Like, I've played all those games to death and don't need to ever play them again but they're synonymous with Mega Drive and I'd want and expect them all to be there, especially now that it's evident that they're really putting in work.

Spinball, 3D Blast, etc can get bent.
I suppose I'd be alright with that. But yeah, none of those spin-offs please.

I think Sonic 2 and 3&K would cover it though.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
But wait, in Sonic Mania (& Plus), Hydrocity, Flying Battery & the Lava Reef Zones have more or less retained their original tracks, just remixed.

I think that it only has to do with a few soundtracks from a few zones, such as the obvious theme from Ice Cap Zone ("Hard Times" by The Jetzons), Launch Base Zone & the mid-boss theme from Sonic 3 (though that has gotten replaced with a new soundtrack once Sonic & Knuckles had officially released).

I don't see what's the big deal with the songs other than those.
Well yeah, it's the Jackson tracks that are screwing everything up.

Angel Island, Hydrocity, Marble Garden and all the S&K levels' music has all shown up in one form or another in the last ten years or so, mainly in Generations or Mania (Sandopolis' music was just remixed for Team Sonic Racing).

They should just commission Tee to write new themes for Carnival Night, Icecap and Launch Base and just be done with it. Or backport the PC themes for those levels into the Genesis ROM (which has already been done in fan hacks, so they could just pay some nerd to do it for them). It'd take a little more effort than usual but then they'd have a version of the game that they could rerelease without any legal hassle from now until the heat death of the universe. Seems like it'd be worth whatever small investment.

If they were able to fix up a version of Revenge of Shinobi that addressed the legal issues, seems to me like they can do it for Sonic.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I don't think any of the TMNT games hold up particularly well. I suppose that Turtles in Time is the best of the lot, but it's nowhere as good as Streets of Rage 2 or Final Fight.
All of the Konami beat-em-ups skirt by on their licenses and production values alone. Otherwise they're not particularly remarkable.

220px-Tiny_Toon_Adventures_-_ACME_All-Stars.jpg

This is the Tiny Toons & Sports game this system needs. Its a Genesis exclusive at that!
This is--no hyperbole--my favorite sports game of all time.

It's NBA Jam, plus character-specific super moves, plus Soccer. It's pretty simple but just plays really solid. I've busted out a multitap for it when the occasion arrives, and I sometimes lend it out to be used in mystery game tournaments.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
All of the Konami beat-em-ups skirt by on their licenses and production values alone. Otherwise they're not particularly remarkable.

This is--no hyperbole--my favorite sports game of all time.

It's NBA Jam, plus character-specific super moves, plus Soccer. It's pretty simple but just plays really solid. I've busted out a multitap for it when the occasion arrives, and I sometimes lend it out to be used in mystery game tournaments.

Gimmick stages aside, I've always thought Batman Returns SNES was a pretty solid effort. Out of all of their beat em ups, it's definitely a lot more in line visually and mechanically with Capcom's stuff.

I vaguely remember Furball being one of the best characters in Acme All-Stars.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Earthworm Jim is kind of worthless if it's not the Sega CD version.

Disagreed. I think the Genesis version is the best version. The Sega CD version is great, but a lot of the added content is a bit on the fluff side. Plus, it comes with loading times. The only thing the Sega CD version really adds for me are CD audio and more animations. Which are nice, but not necessary to the game.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Disagreed. I think the Genesis version is the best version. The Sega CD version is great, but a lot of the added content is a bit on the fluff side. Plus, it comes with loading times. The only thing the Sega CD version really adds for me are CD audio and more animations. Which are nice, but not necessary to the game.
The added levels (extended New Junk City and Big Bruty) are decent, if a bit annoying in the latter due to insta-death situation. At least they're not as boring or frustrating as For Pete's Sake or asteroid race.

And CD audio and more animation is not neccessary? Come on! We can agree Earthworm Jim's biggest strength lies in its mind-blowing presentations and unique sense of humor, not the gameplay.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Angel Island, Hydrocity, Marble Garden and all the S&K levels' music has all shown up in one form or another in the last ten years or so, mainly in Generations or Mania (Sandopolis' music was just remixed for Team Sonic Racing).
Angel Island music is also on Smash Brawl, Wii U and Ultimate.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I didn't know this was coming.

I never owned a Sega Genesis, so maybe I'll buy this one. I'd like to play the two Mickey Mouse games, because I never got the chance, and Magical Quest is one of my all-time favourite games. I played it a ton as a kid, and it was the first game I bought, for $95.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the European version doesn't get 50hz games. The localised name for Contra has appeared in the list which could mean PAL roms.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was always a Nintendo kid back in the day, it'd be pretty cool to catch up on all the Genesis games I missed out on. Saturn next please.

Rez64

Nov 2, 2017
Westminster, CO
Suprised there's been no mention of Monster World 4. It received an English port for Wii VC, but otherwise never came over here. While it's highly unlikely this will appear on the list, it's the one I'm most hoping for.

That and Mega Man: Wily Wars. Sega adding games that never made it here initially is a huge value-add, but doesn't exactly feed the nostalgia hunger.

That being said, it worked for Nintendo with Starfox 2, so who the hell knows?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Suprised there's been no mention of Monster World 4. It received an English port for Wii VC, but otherwise never came over here. While it's highly unlikely this will appear on the list, it's the one I'm most hoping for.

That and Mega Man: Wily Wars. Sega adding games that never made it here initially is a huge value-add, but doesn't exactly feed the nostalgia hunger.

I'd give MW4 better than 50-50 odds on showing up at this point tbh. It's been on more than one M2 release already.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OMFG I dunno how I missed this earlier, but Yuzo Koshiro posted his Thunder Force III menu track:

OMFG It's perfect

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OMFG I dunno how I missed this earlier, but Yuzo Koshiro posted his Thunder Force III menu track:

OMFG It's perfect

Perfect is too light of a word to describe it. I can't wait!

Sega should bring back their funny marketing that was aggressive. Basically "Genesis does what Nintendo don't" but for the classic consoles like NES classic or PS1 Classic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love at 27 seconds into the new Yuzo Koshiro track, he samples the high notes from part of Venus Fire in the Gorgon stage of Thunder Force III.

OMFGGGGGGG it's so good.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wait... is Yuzo Koshiro composing multiple new tracks for the Mini, not just for the main menu?

also:

Last edited:

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i'll be amazed if that happens. so much love and care for this thing, it really could turn out to be the best mini console

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
This is absolutely incredible. I can't wait to have this thing sitting next to the SNES mini. :)

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
The added levels (extended New Junk City and Big Bruty) are decent, if a bit annoying in the latter due to insta-death situation. At least they're not as boring or frustrating as For Pete's Sake or asteroid race.

And CD audio and more animation is not neccessary? Come on! We can agree Earthworm Jim's biggest strength lies in its mind-blowing presentations and unique sense of humor, not the gameplay.

Ehh. The animation is great and is fantastic to look at on both platforms, but I do love the gameplay.

I certainly won't poo-poo the Special Edition since it adds so much, and so much of that is good. But if I'm hurting for time and I just wanna jump right into the game without any of the added frills, I'd probably go with the original Genesis game. At least most of the time. The Sega Cd/PC version is great if you want a longer form of the game with more of the quirky humor that gives the game a lot of its charm and appeal. But of course, the trade off is lots of loading times and some uneven pacing. Not a deal breaker, but worth considering.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, my guess as to what's coming next. Firstly, I think probably 9 of the above games will have a sequel show up, which eats up half of the remaining games announced. Of the games announced thus far, I could see the following getting put on there as a sequel, which I'll put in order of likeliest to least likely:

-Thunder Force III (Thunder Force IV)
-Shining Foce (Shining Force II)
-Gunstar Heroes (Alien Soldier)
-Shinobi III (The Revenge of Shinobi)
-Streets of Rage 2 (Streets of Rage)
-Ecco the Dolphin (Ecco the tides of time)
-Toejam & Earl (Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkatron)
-Castle of Illusion (Quackshot)
-Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles -- I know I know)

That would leave 11 more games from out of left field. These would be my guesses:

-Aladdin
-Phantasy Star IV
-Phantasy Star II
-Beyond Oasis
-Rocket Knight Adventure
-MUSHA
-Dynamite Headdy
-Ristar
-Monster World IV
-Ghouls n Ghosts
-Strider

Assuming some of those more longshot sequels get left out, I'd say maybe these games would be next up on the list:

-Herzog Zwei (Sega)
-Streets of Rage III (Sega)
-Bomber Man 94 (Konami)
-Ranger X (Sega owned Independet NEX)

If the final list of games winds up looking anything like the above list, this is going to be an amazing collection of games.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
wait... is Yuzo Koshiro composing multiple new tracks for the Mini, not just for the main menu?

No, he's just doing the menu theme, but it's a medley of sorts so you'll get snippets of various tunes and sounds in there.

The TF3 track posted above has nothing to do with MD Mini, it's something he made years ago that he reposted when he saw Thunder Force trending on twitter--it's an Etrian Odyssey tune redone TF3 style.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, he's just doing the menu theme, but it's a medley of sorts so you'll get snippets of various tunes and sounds in there.

The TF3 track posted above has nothing to do with MD Mini, it's something he made years ago that he reposted when he saw Thunder Force trending on twitter--it's an Etrian Odyssey tune redone TF3 style.
Ahhhhh, that makes sense. Nice of him to share!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

Monster World IV was also on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but either way the localized version you mentioned is absolutely a lock in my mind. There is no way they are skipping out on that game in this collection considering how much effort they put into it in the past. Plus it is just an especially high quality game that makes this entire collection look more worthwhile.

zeexlash

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing lineup and great to see some of these games take the spotlight after so long.. now very hopeful that the likes of Rocket Knight Adventures and Crusader of Centy will make it too.

In terms of more unlikely contenders.. maybe Shadowrun, McDonald's Treasureland Adventure, The Ooze, Rockman Mega World? All games I'd love to try..

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Now is the time to bring those odd ones that were never ported: Soleil, Rocket knight, Virtua Racing (I would have lost it for the deluxe one but give me SVP goodness), X ranger, Eternal Champions...

Apr 21, 2018
So, my guess as to what's coming next. Firstly, I think probably 9 of the above games will have a sequel show up, which eats up half of the remaining games announced. Of the games announced thus far, I could see the following getting put on there as a sequel, which I'll put in order of likeliest to least likely:

-Thunder Force III (Thunder Force IV)
-Shining Foce (Shining Force II)
-Gunstar Heroes (Alien Soldier)
-Shinobi III (The Revenge of Shinobi)
-Streets of Rage 2 (Streets of Rage)
-Ecco the Dolphin (Ecco the tides of time)
-Toejam & Earl (Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkatron)
-Castle of Illusion (Quackshot)
-Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles -- I know I know)

That would leave 11 more games from out of left field. These would be my guesses:

-Aladdin
-Phantasy Star IV
-Phantasy Star II
-Beyond Oasis
-Rocket Knight Adventure
-MUSHA
-Dynamite Headdy
-Ristar
-Monster World IV
-Ghouls n Ghosts
-Strider

Assuming some of those more longshot sequels get left out, I'd say maybe these games would be next up on the list:

-Herzog Zwei (Sega)
-Streets of Rage III (Sega)
-Bomber Man 94 (Konami)
-Ranger X (Sega owned Independet NEX)

If the final list of games winds up looking anything like the above list, this is going to be an amazing collection of games.

The system also needs sport, fighters and racing games.
Yeah, beyond oasis should make the list as a tribute to Yuzo Koshiro who is part of the project. I also think Sega would want to blow our mind with one of their first partnership with Atlus. Soleil is becoming extremely trendy, in addition, tons of Zelda fans would be curious about it for graphical resemblance.(to excite kids the game also has very catchy screenshots with Sonic).
Even if I don't like it, I think a Mortal Kombat could be introduced since in people mind it was part of the Genesis does what Nintendon't. (At least for the first episode). It's iconic in america.

About the revisionism touching the SNES you mentioned earlier. The genesis wasn't the only one suffering of a false image of B- console. (Yesterday, I saw a young Nintendo fan who didn't even know hard corps on the megadrive... He'll have a mega good surprise).

People barely know one action RPG of the megadrive, imagine their lack of information about the FANTASTIC outputs of the PC Engine...

Those thinking Saturn Mini will be a success are crazy.
Gamers are not ready for PC Engine and Saturn Mini.
Sega told us, they would need 10 years for a Saturn Mini ?
Fair enough! Gamers market will extend, Asia will step by step be interested by Saturn's output. Young Sony, Nintendo fans will slowly play all Mario, Zelda,metal gear of old consoles. They'll search for new experiences. In 2019, Sega will push Project Sakura, maybe giving a highlight to Saturn franchises.
10 more years seems a minimum to give the Saturn a second chance.
Offer and finish Sonic Extreme (mad project, I admit it), Sega, and you'll have a a way to get hype for the system.

Cool to see some Tiny toons Acme All Stars love. It kinda reminded me world cup on Nes.

Oct 25, 2017
Dynamite Headdy is great but I'll likely install a translated rom on the mini given how much the NA release fucked with the game. Same with streets of rage 3.

I look forward to playing these awesome games and also getting dirty with modding this thing too