• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing about Sonic is that at least we'll be able to get M2 versions of 1 and 2 in a single machine once it gets hacked. 3&K complete would be really nice, but it seems very unlikely. If it's really just the music holding it back, they should really just rip the bandaid, call Tee Lopes and future proof it. Between Lopes' standing in the community due to the ludicrously good Mania soundtrack and the, uh, documentary situation, there's never been a better time for this to happen.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's not about being able or not, it's about the cost of the license. The Genesis Mini only makes money by selling the console, not by selling games. So paying a huge license (to two companies) might not be cost effective for something like this.
The licensing situation with Aladdin isn't entirely clear, mind you.

It could very well be that Disney owns it outright.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Good thing about Sonic is that at least we'll be able to get M2 versions of 1 and 2 in a single machine once it gets hacked. 3&K complete would be really nice, but it seems very unlikely. If it's really just the music holding it back, they should really just rip the bandaid, call Tee Lopes and future proof it. Between Lopes' standing in the community due to the ludicrously good Mania soundtrack and the, uh, documentary situation, there's never been a better time for this to happen.
I've been beating that drum for a while. Tee has more than proven himself with the Mania soundtrack.

It's a good idea to futureproof it because it's not like they can just keep rereleasing Sonic 1 and 2 forever. They'll certainly try but eventually we'll reach a point where software is just universally forwards compatible.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Mean Bean Machine is in the Genesis Mini so they kind of already broke the one per franchise rule even if that is not technically a Sonic game. I cannot see this console just ONLY having Sonic 1 as well, that just seems like something SEGA would not greenlight at all. Honestly I feel like this is the best chance we have for Sonic 3K with how hard they are going in on this. If not, it would be super unfortunate but they already have me sold on a lot of these games so it is hard for me to complain too terribly much.

Kind of weird we have yet to hear of a Golden Axe game now that I think of it. Obviously at least one of them will be in, but surely they have quite a few heavy hitters left if we have not gotten over to something as obvious and predictable as that, right?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The licensing situation with Aladdin isn't entirely clear, mind you.

It could very well be that Disney owns it outright.

Again, the license or getting the license is not a problem, it's the cost. Hopefully Sega is able to do it, but with the movie coming out I don't think the license will be cheap enough to be able to be included in this system. Re-releasing any Aladdin game right now, in Disney's eyes, is a game to tie-in the movie.

There's also a problem with the "Whole new world" song (is that included in the Genesis version?). That's a different license, so they would have to pay for it or remove that song from the game. The GBA version of Capcom's Aladdin had to remove that song when the game was re-released, and I think the Genie's song too?

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Again, the license or getting the license is not a problem, it's the cost. Hopefully Sega is able to do it, but with the movie coming out I don't think the license will be cheap enough to be able to be included in this system. Re-releasing any Aladdin game right now, in Disney's eyes, is a game to tie-in the movie.

There's also a problem with the "Whole new world" song (is that included in the Genesis version?). That's a different license, so they would have to pay for it or remove that song from the game. The GBA version of Capcom's Aladdin had to remove that song when the game was re-released, and I think the Genie's song too?
Yeah, the GBA release nixed both movie songs.

And yeah, they should honestly just have Tee Lopes do some replacement tracks for Sonic 3.

Oct 29, 2017
Have they actually explicitly stated that there is a one-entry-per-franchise limit? I don't think they have...

And even if there was, I really doubt that they'd only include one Sonic game...

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
They announced the next titles in the US, all of them are avaliable for viewing on their site (tweet doesn't list them all sadly)
http://genesismini.sega.com/

Edit: Castle of Illusion and Earthworm Jim included too for the English lineup! What fantastic gets!

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
- World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
- Contra: Hard Corps
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

wait what

DUDE this is an incredible list of games.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III
Castle and World of Illusion are incredible additions, whewwww

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Contra Hard Corps
Landstalker
Thunderforce 3

Damn, they are going all out. Hoping for Rocket Knight next.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

HELL YES. US getting both Illusion games is amazing news. Was getting one of these anyway but goddamn what a lineup

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
US gets Castle AND World?

tenor.gif

I HAVE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN YALL

(I'll update the OP)

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

Now THAT is what I am talking about.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Damn it!

MUSHA is not included in the Genesis list. I would gladly trade it for any of the Mickey or Earthworm Jim games.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

I am loving this. Sega doing it right. Glad I pre-ordered.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

Sooooooo good!!!!

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
a little disappointed we're not keeping the one game per series rule, but cant complain when both Castle and World of Illusion is here.

Also, Shinobi III motherfucker

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

I said WOW! Hard Corps...Castle and World of Illusion...I can't contain my excitement. Pre-order justified!

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
You have to report the OP to get the thead title changed, right? I think it warrants updating, though I don't want to mislead anyone on the MUSHA thing.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
This list of games makes me realize just how little Sega I played growing up.

I think I played like... 5 games on my Genesis.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genesis mini

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III
Earthworm Jim aside, these are all great.

Knot Locks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wheeeeew, Castle and World of Illusion locks in my purchase. Played through them so many times with my mom and sister growing up.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well hopefully you can in the future. Fire up those compatibility lists

Don't think it will happen. Unlike the NES/SNES Classic that have their own emus, I really doubt the Genesis Mini will have an emu that will work with other games if the console is hacked. I mean, I hope it does to avoid using Retroarch, but I doubt it.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it will happen. Unlike the NES/SNES Classic that have their own emus, I really doubt the Genesis Mini will have an emu that will work with other games if the console is hacked. I mean, I hope it does to avoid using Retroarch, but I doubt it.

Other games will probably have to use an external solution, yeah, but it should be feasible to add all the M2 stuff together in one package, which so far looks like a killer lineup.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread title updated per OP's request.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I would not worry about missing out on MUSHA just yet. Some thought we were missing Sonic 2 entirely before this new batch was announced.

Damn, this lineup is seriously so intensely good so far. I love literally every game in the western version's list.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Sega did go to the ULTRA FUCKING HARDCORE way with the Megadrive Mini: Dyna Brothers 2 Special and Game no Kanzume Otokuyou are both Sega Channel exclusives and the last one is a compilation of the Sega Game Toshokan games that only were available... on the motherfucking Mega Modem.

Is like the Super Famicom Mini were included with Satellaview games.

Kudos to Sega in Japan for that type of shit.