• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
and a new level of hype was born.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNGZMx2vhY

The announcement thread at the old site was made on January 31st, at 11pm EST. It received over 20,000 posts in 3 weeks, right up until the day of the meeting, February 20th, 2013.

I had joined the old site around 2010. There had been a lot of hype threads in my time there, but the Playstation Meeting thread was just on a different level. For some of the younger folks here, you have to know that, at the time, the ps3/360 generation of games had lasted a long time. No gen had lasted this long before. 8 years. The wait for the new consoles had reached an untennable degree. So when Sony made the announcement for the Playstation Meeting in early 2013, it was collective satisfaction.

The main vector through which people were expressing their excitement was gifs. Lots and lots of gifs. Not just existing gifs; oh no. Many new gifs were created just for this event. Some good ones, some creepy ones, and some legendary ones.

At the time, I was in university. I remember going to the library during the day to study for my midterms, and keeping a tab open for the thread. I would struggle to contain my laughter.

I sifted through the thread to try to find some. I didn't go through the whole thing because it,s way too long. Also, some of these gifs are no longer there, as they were hosted on new defunct image hosts. Some of Sunhi's and DemonNite's gifs were lost (though I do believe that DemonNite had archived his gifs in video form on his youtube). Here are some of them:

gif4skno.gif
(RIP Dawg)
XCVeOqs.gif

partridgegifresized64uoy.gif

kazhatfmkc4.gif

spidermanwtktl.gif

kaz-man.gif

EvKM0SI.gif

jW8ZiJ0.gif

OSonsBH.gif

untitled-13eu3a.gif

0154_lnu9b.gif

kazdance2nlkp7.gif

5IFJTEU.gif

kazpromisesqnk1k.gif

WNN03W7.gif

7oBDMus.gif

AfnzNXg.gif

jurassickaz.gif

ku-xlarge.gif

and my favorite:

i97P4bk7nDuQ9.gif

happy retirement, Kaz.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
What a time to be alive.

I started lurking GAF pretty hardcore right around this time, and my account was finally approved just in time for E3. And here I am, a decade later.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
We will NEVER have this again, especially with these damn showcases

I remember people on the old forum arguing that Knack is legit an amazing platformer, they were on that hype juice

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This event and the subsequent ps4 hype discussions is what led me to GAF.

Fun times.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
What a way to start a console debut than that Killzone Shadow Fall demo... it was just unbelievable!

And of course, DriveClub.

proud-touched.gif

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I remember talking about it to my friends and wasnt even sure it was going to stay with the PS# naming

Me: ¨Hey there is a new PlayStation reveal coming¨

Friends: ¨... did you hear anything about a new Xbox? I wonder when we´ll see the new Xbox and Halo 5¨

None of them ever got an Xbox One lol

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I still remember people thinking Antonio Banderas would show up in one of the Sony events or E3 lol.
It's been 10 years? Damn....

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Such a great time. Set the tone for the generation which I feel Sony has only built up through the early part of the PS5 as well.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
That opening video might be my favorite montage video Sony's done, and they've done a lot.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Oh man I remember those days. So much fun and so many gifs. I don't think we'll ever top the sheer amount of fun and hype.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
By far the greatest time i had on a vg internet forum.
The best thread ever, probably. Everyone was just so excited.

Crazy that has been 10 years already.

Oct 31, 2017
What a time to be alive! I was witness to the greatness of Kaz gifs 🥹

🥹 I can't believe it's been 10 years already.

kaz-1

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I remember this event really letting me down to be honest. They didn't show the console and a lot of it was technical talk and nonsense. I wasn't really excited for the PS4 at all until the E3 Showcase later that year, that's when they really killed it

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I wasn't around the old place at the time I don't think but I still remember the event well. As a primarily PS3 owner who had to struggle through the early years of that gen (albeit with some great games), it was a very exciting time seeing them get so many things right for a change.

Although I'll never understand the decision to not show the system, especially because it ended up looking very cool. They showed the PS5 at the first event and that thing's ugly as hell lol.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I wasn't around forums back in that day, but I remember watching the PS meeting, barely understanding a thing of English cause I was just 13yo but I was astonished. I would never ever think that'd get the current gen console a couple of years later. I wish I could go back, it felt like in those days every tech was new tech, nowadays it always feels like everything is just an evolution of something that already exists, even the brand new stuff.

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest game of last gen, Deep Down, was also announced here, if i remember correctly. What an incredible experience that game was!

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8GB OF GDDR5 RAM HOLY SHIT

people clowned on that but it really was a big deal for the time and a reason why so many PS4 games hold up well to this day… if only the CPU hadn't been such dogshit.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I was in high school (I used to frequent IGN and places like that) and I stumbled onto Gaf because of random post on Reddit. The gifs was fucking hilarious and it makes me feel old since they're not used a ton anymore.

But the hype when the meeting came on: UNIFIED RAM

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
8GB OF GDDR5 RAM HOLY SHIT
this was insane lol. I remember very well the speculation about next-gen hardware in the years that preceded the Meeting. The general consensus was: "1GB of DDR3, maybe 2 if we're lucky". Then Cerny comes with his dick swinging: "8GBs of GDDR5".

everyone proceeds to meltdown.

They still haven't topped their "I fought the war" montage.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKAKRON9pI4&t=40s

"we didn't build a BOX" lol

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Man, I remember those gifs. The Pitbull one was always good for a laugh no matter when I saw it. Too bad theres no environment for that kind of thing anymore, it was a good time for sure.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Saw this live and was surprised people were so down on this at the time. Yahtzee Crosshaw couldn't shut up about how the game console itself wasn't revealed and they only showed software.

I always thought that was an incredibly disingenous take from people who should've known better. You don't play the console, you play the games dammit!

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
What a show!

I was confident the PS4 was going to do well as soon as they revealed Mark Cerny was the lead designer for the system. So many of the games I played up to that point and that I loved were influenced in some way or another by Mark Cerny, and to see a game designer being involved from the beginning to the end of a system's design was a big deal for me.

They showed what they learned from the PS3, and while some things didn't pan out as intended like with the system downloading games for you to check out (Which would have been turned off by so many people if it was actually a thing) it was the console that was needed at the time.

This and E3 2013 really helped seal the deal for Sony early on in that generation. So many great moments.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this live and was surprised people were so down on this at the time. Yahtzee Crosshaw couldn't shut up about how the game console itself wasn't revealed and they only showed software.

I always thought that was an incredibly disingenous take from people who should've known better. You don't play the console, you play the games dammit!
latest

This dude had a disingenuous Gamer hot take?

...that guy? No way.

Anyway, I thought it was awesome at the time and all fun, but now I kind of think all the platform company HYPE!!!!!!! is a bit silly at best and weird at worst. But it was fun at the time for sure.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
What a time to be alive.

The hype was boosted into the stratosphere.

Bring back live showcases pls.