• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The wiki says May 16 but everyone seems to be celebrating today: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Java_Edition_Classic

Google does say today though:

6a7f2b30123cca95790d3a46bbc13df6.png

I first started playing Minecraft when it hit Xbox and then from there got the PC version. Endless hours with friends even if the console version was out of date and extremely limited at the time of launch.

Let me dig straight down if old.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in 2009 there being this one dude who was super into it in the 2Fort2Furious forums and I'd click on the thread now and then and have no idea what the fuck was going on. I had to do a double take when it started getting popular.

ThatGuyfromMars

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The first time I saw anything about it was probably about that time, I remember seeing gameplay footage from Seananners and was incredibly blown away by how much fun it looked, then I was shocked that a game that was still in alpha at that time was almost 30$, though I did pay for it and it had been worth every penny, I love the game, though I haven't played it in about a year, when the Switch version of Minecraft became just plain ol' Minecraft.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Despite interest I still have never played this. Hard to believe it's been a decade...! I think I'll finally give it a shot.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
When I worked in retail, we sold so many Xbox and Playstation versions of them more than GTA and FIFA, which is wild because it's England and our kids fucking love their footy games, yeauk, nasty.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
I can't remember who it was, but a GAF poster made a thread on it while the game was in its infancy. It was an immediate buy for me at that $10 alpha access price. I played it for hours on end, mostly in awe of the procedural landscapes and how I could shape them. It was the lego game I had always wanted as a kid. I remember how excited I was with each secret update, and then when biomes! and the nether! were introduced. Weirdly, the nether still feels kinda like a new thing to me.

I was 23 then. Now I'm almost 32. The odd thing is that in its early days, the (offensive) meme was "oh, that's that indie game for autistic people, right?" Now it's just seen as a game for kids. Both are odd to me, as it always seemed like a game to be equally appreciated across all ages and demographics. The joy of exploration and creativity is a great thing, and it's a sad thing if we lose appreciation for it as we age.

I'm ramblin' a bit too much now. Anyway, congrats to Minecraft on a well-deserved successful ten year run! It's been a bumpy ride in places, but it's been worth it all the way.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I sunk probably over 1500 hours into it (mostly mod packs) and still playing it today (Project ozone 3 currently)

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Where did the Miku meme come from? Im aware of the it came from space one but not this one.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
ten years ago i thought it was one of those niche games only big in certain circles like Dwarf Fortress or something. mindblowing to me how the whole thing played out

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember getting the alpha of the game. Fell down from space, it did. Had my telescope handy, as I was on the lookout for new updates everyday

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I remember buying the alpha for $10 through PayPal and the client crashing all the time.

Never could I have imagined it would turn into what it has become.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Man, I haven't played Minecraft since the beta in 2010-2011. How different has it gotten since then?

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember the first time I had heard a friend tell me about this game back in 7th grade. The way I imagine people think back on Runescape is how I think back on Minecraft.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I also never saw Minecraft getting where it is today. I registered during the Alpha phase under the name Dr Horsecock, I have no idea where I got that name. Wish I was still 18 lol.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder where can I check when did I buy the game. Maybe paypal statements? I think it was beta phase. It was already very popular but certainly not the juggernaut it is.

Edit: nope, it only goes two years back. I'll try with emails.
Edit2: found it on emails, October 22nd 2010. Time flies.

Last edited:

microtubule

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember who it was, but a GAF poster made a thread on it while the game was in its infancy. It was an immediate buy for me at that $10 alpha access price. I played it for hours on end, mostly in awe of the procedural landscapes and how I could shape them. It was the lego game I had always wanted as a kid. I remember how excited I was with each secret update, and then when biomes! and the nether! were introduced. Weirdly, the nether still feels kinda like a new thing to me.

I was 23 then. Now I'm almost 32. The odd thing is that in its early days, the (offensive) meme was "oh, that's that indie game for autistic people, right?" Now it's just seen as a game for kids. Both are odd to me, as it always seemed like a game to be equally appreciated across all ages and demographics. The joy of exploration and creativity is a great thing, and it's a sad thing if we lose appreciation for it as we age.

I'm ramblin' a bit too much now. Anyway, congrats to Minecraft on a well-deserved successful ten year run! It's been a bumpy ride in places, but it's been worth it all the way.

I agree about the lego part!
Minecraft was the best game purchase I ever made as I have sunk 100's of hours into it since alpha. I still try to look online for a nice seed depending on the version I am running at the time and the first 20 hours of going from nothing to king of your biome is quite the gameplay hook for me.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing the Alpha but forgot which one, I lost interest in Minecraft nowadays but it was really amazing back then when you discovered its wonders yourself.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the online version from the uproaring threads on 4chan's /v/. I didn't play more of it after that, but the screenshots of big scaled sprite constructions were always amusing to see