• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
https://uploadvr.com/100-vr-games-you-should-play/

Pretty good list though with a couple of snubs I personally loved like Battlezone & Lucky's Tale though they say it's not a ranked list per say:
Note that we're not talking a ranked 'Top 100' list, at least not yet. This is about highlighting games that are fighting the good fight for VR, trying to shine a spotlight on some of the stuff you may have missed and championing the absolute essentials that everyone should play.

And, to be clear, these are strictly games, not experiences.

The most recently released game included seems to be Firewall Zero Hour.

Top-100.jpg

Dec 23, 2017
Pretty good list. I hope one day, people will go out and make the effort to try VR. VR arcades seem to be becoming a thing now. It really depends on the game you play too. There are VR games out there that don't take full advantage of it.

With that said, some of my favorite VR games are:

Sairento VR
VR Dungeon Knight
VRChat
Unknightly
Pavlov VR
Karnage Chronicles
The Wizards

I'm waiting for Technolust to go on sale, and waiting for games like Nostos VR, Blade & Sorcery, and Hellsplit to release.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Am I blind or are both Climbey and Sairento missing? That can't be right?

Still, pretty cool list. Will probably check it when I need something new to play.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
great list of games. tbh could be cut down a bit no one realistically is going to play 100 games, but useful for the people who think there's nothing worthwile for vr.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
great list of games. tbh could be cut down a bit no one realistically is going to play 100 games, but useful for the people who think there's nothing worthwile for vr.
...I got over 200 VR games lol.

(sure, a bunch of them are short and incredibly crappy)

but I can definitely see my self picking up the ones I miss from this list.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with 25 of those. There's about 30 others I would highly recommend people avoid as they are shite.

There's a further bunch they don't mention that I'd recommend like Battlezone, Organ Quarter, Throw Anything, Cosmic Trip, House of the Dying Sun...

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
...I got over 200 VR games lol.

(sure, a bunch of them are short and incredibly crappy)

but I can definitely see my self picking up the ones I miss from this list.
Haha sure, but do you play all of them? I have a bunch and then hundreds of steam games, but I don't actually play them. Lists of 100 of games don't help me much haha.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with 25 of those. There's about 30 others I would highly recommend people avoid as they are shite.

There's a further bunch they don't mention that I'd recommend like Battlezone, Organ Quarter, Throw Anything, Cosmic Trip, House of the Dying Sun...

I mean, it's a list. It's subjective and personal... yada yada. But aside from all the questionable things I have with it, I'm kind of triggered by someone placing Project Cars 2 over Assetto Corsa. I would say AC is hands down the best racing sim for VR (both in content available and quality of graphics IN VR).

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd throw in The Invisible Hours. Massively underrated game with a great story.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it's a list. It's subjective and personal... yada yada. But aside from all the questionable things I have with it, I'm kind of triggered by someone placing Project Cars 2 over Assetto Corsa. I would say AC is hands down the best racing sim for VR (both in content available and quality of graphics IN VR).

Project cars 2 runs and looks better for me in VR though :/

AC sets my CPU on fire the moment I introduce AI in VR... So it's reduced to being a VR hotlap simulator.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
If Robo Recall with room scale doesnt convince you, I dont know what will :D

Also good is Superhot, Skyrim, Rec Room and Hotdogs Horseshoes and handgrenades

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so far behind on my VR backlog. It just seems like an extra hurdle when I'm picking a game to play. I really need to just get over that though, there's a lot of games in here that I want to play.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Project cars 2 runs and looks better for me in VR though :/

AC sets my CPU on fire the moment I introduce AI in VR... So it's reduced to being a VR hotlap simulator.

It looks better for you? Are you running AC stock? Because the stock PP filters make it look terrible. Really need to have it running off or use one of the custom reality filters that are out there. Otherwise things like the roads are a reflective mess that looks horrible. Agree.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It looks better for you? Are you running it stock? Because the stock PP filters make it look terrible. Really need to have it running off or use one of the custom reality filters that are out there. Otherwise things like the roads are a reflective mess that looks horrible. Agree.

Yep, I run both AC and PCars 2 with PP off in VR.

Then I realised that if you turn PP off in AC you can't see opponent brake lights. I need to find a custom one on racedepartment and give it another go.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
This list demonstrated partially why I sold my PSVR. Not enough compelling games on its own, especially when hampered by the console running it. My Rift in comparison is fantastic, and the more PSVR ports it gets, the more I don't need the latter.

I will pick up a PSVR again later. I bought it because Skyrim was a super compelling exclusive to me (I already beat RE7). Unfortunately it was absolutely terrible thanks to the aforementioned console producing an awful image and the Move controllers actively hindering my experience. In the future, I will grab the headset only (already have the camera, so I'll grab the break out box too) and play several DS4 only games on it and be happy. I will probably grab the Aim controller and Farpoint and Firewall. Unless Deracine is amazing, I will likely never touch the Move controllers again.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I run both AC and PCars 2 with PP off in VR.

Then I realised that if you turn PP off in AC you can't see opponent brake lights. I need to find a custom one on racedepartment and give it another go.

Interesting. I guess I just love how clean AC looks when you run with a decent amount of super sampling and MSAA. With my experimentation with the Project Cars 2 demo, I could never get it to lose that dirty look. Dirty IQ instantly kills my VR boner.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Good list seeing The Talos Principle, Solus Project, To The Top, Sprint Vector etc.

It's missing:

Conductor
Vertigo
BoxVR
Dead Secret

(or I missed them scrolling down?)

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. I guess I just love how clean AC looks when you run with a decent amount of super sampling and MSAA. With my experimentation with the Project Cars 2 demo, I could never get it to lose that dirty look. Dirty IQ instantly kills my VR boner.

It's on sale on Steam now. Give it a go and if you can't get it to your liking then refund it.

Make sure you do this though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/82ntnq/sharpening_tool_project_cars_2/

It makes a big difference.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's on sale on Steam now. Give it a go and if you can't get it to your liking then refund it.

Make sure you do this though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/82ntnq/sharpening_tool_project_cars_2/

It makes a big difference.

It's interesting that one of the comments referenced iracing and their sharpening filter. You don't know exactly what this is, do you? Is it using something like the sharpening tools in Reshade (which is what iracing did with SweetFX)?

I never thought to try this on Redout, but I wonder if Reshade could also clean that up a bit. It's so cool, but man, is that an ugly game in VR.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting that one of the comments referenced iracing and their sharpening filter. You don't know exactly what this is, do you? Is it using something like the sharpening tools in Reshade (which is what iracing did with SweetFX)?

I never thought to try this on Redout, but I wonder if Reshade could also clean that up a bit. It's so cool, but man, is that an ugly game in VR.

It's in the XML settings files for the game. You just need to go and edit them to turn up the sharpening and you end up a sharper image. How high you set the sharpening depends on personal preference.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's in the XML settings files for the game. You just need to go and edit them to turn up the sharpening and you end up a sharper image. How high you set the sharpening depends on personal preference.

Right. I was just wondering if you'd gone through that whole thread and if there was more detailed talk about what exactly it was. I get the sense it's just incorporating something like sweetfX/Reshade and was wondering if you knew which one if was (there's so many sharpening shaders in Reshade). Was just hoping to short-cut my way into finding something good to also apply to Redout. I guess I'll just experiment with that.

EDIT: They're definitely using the LumaSharpen shader. Same max on the variables (3/1/6). I see iracing used LumaSharpen too. Not sure it's the best sharpening shader, but it's definitely open source so they're allowed to incorporate it. Gonna try this with Redout.

Last edited:

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Lists are a great start for sure, but speaking as a Vive owner, there are 3,000 VR games/apps on Steam, and even just mentally focusing on those with a positive user score can make the discovery process feel personal and manageable.