• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
mvSUKAd.png

Click here to access the sheet

Note: Check the Threadmark for the post from which screenshots start!

What is this?

A spreadsheet of notable games that have been announced / released for the Nintendo Switch, with the following details:
  • Who is making them?
  • Who is publishing them?
  • If they were on another platform, who ported them to Switch?
  • What engine do they run on?
  • How much stickiness did they have on the eShop?
…and more. Essentially, the point of the spreadsheet is to list notable Switch games and give you a sense of the Switch market in terms of what kinds of games are being released and where they're coming from. It's an experiment to see if anyone finds this sort of thing useful.

You can also filter the sheet using the Filter button at the top-left corner, in order to find things you want.

Note that the sheet is a work in progress, so several pieces of information (release dates mainly) are still in the process of being updated. I work on this sheet in my spare time.

Why are we doing this?

I love spreadsheets and videogames. I love helping educate people about games and generating interesting discussion aroundthem. The sheet—if maintained properly—will help inform ongoing and future discussions on ResetEra for the next few years. It would also be a fun collaborative project to work on, for the people involved. Finally, maybe it'll help people find games that they'd like on Switch when the eShop (or Nintendo's site) fails them. Again, I view this as a fun experiment of sorts.

The eventual goal is to get the spreadsheet to a point where developers would be comfortable volunteering information for the sheet. (Engines they used, porthouses, sales figures whenever it's possible etc.)

Where are the eShop Rankings from?

The USA Nintendo eShop Rankings are from Nintendo Everything, who post ranking updates every Friday. Many thanks to @NE_Brian, without whom the entire eShop section in the sheet wouldn't have been possible.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. What constitutes a "notable" game?

A1. A game must be "significant" in some way to be added to the sheet. It could be a well-known brand, be by a well-known developer or publisher, look like a really high-quality project, or have sold well on another platform. Naturally, the definition of "notable" is fairly loose but the idea is to curate the sheet fairly tightly and not just pad it out with fluff.

Q2. How do I recommend a game for the sheet?

A2. Please send an e-mail to the e-mail address mentioned in the header note for column A. Do note that there's no guarantee a game will be added to the sheet just because you personally found it interesting, although we're absolutely going to do our best to pick the ones that look interesting, or fill any of the other aforementioned criteria. Alternatively, discuss the game in here! Do not flood my PMs with game recommendations, please.

Q3. Why not just list every game announced/released for Switch?

A3. We've already got Wikipedia and Nintendo's own website for that! This is an effort to create something that's a little more curated and informative.

Q4. I'm a developer and I'm insulted my awesome game isn't on here!

A4. Don't feel insulted! If you've got a great game, we absolutely want you listed in the sheet. Let us know why the game is cool, and why you feel it belongs on the list and we'll discuss it. (Naturally, having footage of your game is recommended)

Q5. Will you ever open this sheet up to the public?

A5. Someday. That was actually the original plan, but as you might imagine it's difficult to trust that certain kinds of people on the Internet won't destroy the data in the sheet just for kicks.

Q6. I want to help. How can I do that?

A6. First, thanks for your interest! There are a few ways you can contribute:
  • If you find a mistake in the spreadsheet, let me know. (Please be sure it's actually a mistake)
  • Help look up awesome games and discuss their inclusion in here.
  • Help get the word out about the spreadsheet! Tweet it, FB it, whatever. The more people see it, the better. (Especially indie game devs—it would be awesome if they volunteer info!)
  • If you're interested in contributing to the sheet more directly, mention your interest in this thread. At some point, I'll definitely approach more people to help out. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

Added the following:
  • SteamWorld Heist 2: Ultimate Edition
  • Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
  • Pinball FX3

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

Added release dates for a number of games

Added the following games:
  • Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion
  • Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
I would add Battle Chef Brigade to the list. It is published by Adult Swim Games, currently console exclusive to Switch, and personally I think it is one of the best games on Switch.

I would also add the Fear Effect 1 remake which was announced for Switch by the same devs of Sedna.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I would add Battle Chef Brigade to the list. It is published by Adult Swim Games, currently console exclusive to Switch, and personally I think it is one of the best games on Switch.

I would also add the Fear Effect 1 remake which was announced for Switch by the same devs of Sedna.

Both good picks. Added. :)

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I read somewhere that only mods/admins are allowed to use red text

I don't know if that's the case, but unfortunately red is really the only colour that stands out on either the Light or Dark themes. I'll follow up with the mod team to figure this out.

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really interesting idea. One thing that I'd personally like to see in a resource like this is a justification for why each title is included. After reading the section defining "notable," I'm still not clear why some games would be included while others would not (it might be more the later, given how many games are included), so I think a justification section could be useful.

I thought I read somewhere that only mods/admins are allowed to use red text

Yep, you did. It's in the FAQ.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Gear.Club Unlimited should be on there. It's the Switch's sole real-world racing game, is based off a popular mobile game and was made by people who worked on V-Rally and Test Drive.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that I'd personally like to see in a resource like this is a justification for why each title is included. After reading the section defining "notable," I'm still not clear why some games would be included while others would not (it might be more the later, given how many games are included), so I think a justification section could be useful.

The reason I want to avoid justifying every single title individually is that:

a) It starts to pollute the sheet by drawing attention away from the actual data
b) I feel like the general "common sense" guidelines outlined in the OP (and the sheet itself) do a fairly good job communicating this already.

Basically, a game belongs if it's: by a noteworthy dev/publisher, or looks interesting artistically or from a design standpoint, or is of very high quality, or is a popular / well-known franchise. There will always be exceptions to the aforementioned rules of course, but in general I feel those serve as fairly broad guidelines that should cover most cases.

I feel like Gear.Club Unlimited should be on there. It's the Switch's sole real-world racing game, is based off a popular mobile game and was made by people who worked on V-Rally and Test Drive.

I debated Gear Club myself but it isn't particularly well known, hasn't reviewed particularly well, and doesn't seem to have performed particularly well either? (It hasn't appeared in the eShop top-20 rankings at all). Basically, the main reason I was considering it was because—as you said—it's the first "real" racing game on Switch.

Your point about it being by the devs of V-Rally and Test Drive is a good one, too, though, so that's also something to think about.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I've discussed the matter with NateDrake and picked a more purple/pink-ish shade instead. Back on topic now.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I figured I'd cross-post my contribution to CSSD's "best-selling Switch games" thread.

A list of the best-selling Switch games in the USA in 2017 (provided by Nintendo):
  1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8 DX
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Arms
  7. 1, 2 Switch
  8. Minecraft
  9. Stardew Valley
  10. Snipperclips
  11. Sonic Mania
  12. Pokken DX
  13. Super Bomberman
  14. Skyrim
  15. Ultra Street Fighter II
  16. Binding of Isaac Afterlife +
  17. Xenoblade 2
  18. Puyo Tetris
  19. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove

Now, some fun observations from the Nintendo Switch spreadsheet:

Overcooked: Special Edition - #20 in the USA best-seller list for 2017
  • Has been in the USA eShop rankings for 21 weeks, averaging at the #5 position

Sonic Mania - #11 in the USA best-seller list for 2017
  • Has been in the USA eShop rankings for 18 weeks, averaging at the #7 position
  • Overall, its eShop performance is lower than Overcooked, which means physical sales moved it up the best-seller list

Stardew Valley - #9 in the USA best-seller list for 2017
  • Has been in the USA eShop rankings for 11 weeks, averaging at the #3 position

Golf Story - Not in the USA best-seller list for 2017
  • Has been in the USA eShop rankings for 9 weeks, averaging at the #8 position

NBA Playgrounds - Not in the USA best-seller list for 2017
  • Has been in the USA eShop rankings for 19 weeks, averaging at the #10 position

Again, you can access the sheet here.

Last edited:

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
All the Zoink games (Flipping Death, Fe, Stick it to the Man) are made in Unity

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
For Sonic Forces, the Hedgehog Engine is a graphics engine, not a gameplay engine. I don't think the actual engine Sonic Forces runs on is public knowledge.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
All the Zoink games (Flipping Death, Fe, Stick it to the Man) are made in Unity

I'll try to find an official source for this later once I'm back home from work. Thanks for the heads up.

For Sonic Forces, the Hedgehog Engine is a graphics engine, not a gameplay engine. I don't think the actual engine Sonic Forces runs on is public knowledge.

Yup, but until such time as we have more info on that front, it's something. It is pretty rare to have any info at all for projects like these, so I do like putting in whatever info we do have.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

Added the following:
  • The Escapists 2
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus
The "Ranking Insights" tab has also been updated with more games.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to find an official source for this later once I'm back home from work. Thanks for the heads up.

Here:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ath_fe_and_making_the_move_to_nintendo_switch
We use Unity for all our games and by using that game engine we're free to develop for several platforms simultaneously.

Or:
http://theswitcheffect.net/2017/12/industry-interviews-mikael-from-zoink-games/
Porting has been pretty straight-forward from the start. So far we've released one out of our three games heading to the Switch and it was by far the best version we've done in regards to performance. Since we're using a game engine called Unity and we've been using that engine for long we're pretty experienced in releasing games on multiple platforms. Both Fe and Flipping Death runs really well and we're just super excited to release them next year.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
Other games I would add are Floor Kids and Gorogoa.

Floor Kids is currently exclusive to Switch and was highlighted by Nintendo in its Nindie Showcase. It's also one of the most unique rhythm games out there.

Gorogoa is console exclusive to Switch and was published by Annapurna Interactive. It's a recent puzzle game that has been getting mostly positive reactions.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:
  • No new additions in terms of games this week
  • Enter the Gungeon sales recorded: 75,000 (in two weeks)
  • The game has been in the eShop charts thrice, averaging at the #7 position

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:
  • Updated sales for Disgaea 5 (now at 200k worldwide)
  • Updates sales for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (now at 500k worldwide)
Latest version of the sheet: https://goo.gl/XML5qF

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

Added games from the Nintendo Direct Mini, including:
  • The World Ends With You -Final Remix-
  • Dark Souls: Remastered
  • Ys VIII
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Mario Tennis Aces

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

• Scribblenauts: Showdown
  • SD Gundam G Generations Genesis
  • Freedom Planet

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Here's the Metacritic Switch Top 20, as a point of reference.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
User: 8.4
Mar 3, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey
User: 8.9
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
User: 8.5
Apr 28, 2017
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
User: 8.0
Mar 3, 2017
SteamWorld Dig 2
User: 8.7
Sep 21, 2017
Enter the Gungeon
User: 7.9
Dec 14, 2017
Cave Story +
User: 7.7
Jun 20, 2017
Stardew Valley
User: 8.7
Oct 5, 2017
Axiom Verge
Oct 5, 2017
Rocket League
Nov 14, 2017
Minecraft: Switch Edition
User: 7.1
May 11, 2017
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Oct 3, 2017
Sonic Mania
User: 8.9
Aug 15, 2017
Thumper
User: 7.9
May 18, 2017
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +
Mar 17, 2017
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
User: 8.6
Aug 29, 2017
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
User: 7.7
Mar 3, 2017
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
Sep 12, 2017
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
User: 8.1
Nov 17, 2017
NeuroVoider
User: 8.1
Sep 7, 2017

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

• Snack World: Trejarers
  • This is the Police 2
  • Typoman
  • SD Gundam G Generation Genesis

Added sales for Capcom's Resident Evil: Revelations, which has sold around 250,000 units in two months.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

Added the newly-announced CyberConnect2 games, since they have now been revealed to be PC/PS4/Xbone/Switch:
  • Fugue on the Battlefield
  • Tokyo Ogre Gate
  • Cecile

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
First time I've seen this thread. I think it's a neat idea as well. I'll refer to the list for sure thanks!

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

• Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
  • The Lying Princess and the Blind Prince
  • Seven Knights
Also updated global sales for a number of games, and included the timeframe within which those sales were achieved for context.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

• Layers of Fear: Legacy
  • Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
  • The Lying Princess and the Blind Prince
  • De Blob
  • Subsurface Circular
  • Manticore - Galaxy on Fire
  • Shining Resonance: Refrain
  • Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo
  • A Normal Lost Phone
  • Little Dragons Café
  • Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy
  • Gekido Kintaro's Revenge
  • The Trail: Frontier Challenge
We also learnt a week or two ago that Snake Pass developer Sumo Digital were involved with the Switch port of Payday 2, so this little tidbit is now included in that game's info as well.

As an aside, I'd recommend taking A Normal Lost Phone for a spin, although maybe not the Switch version. I played the smartphone version a couple months ago, and enjoyed it immensely. It works super well on phones, and is a well designed "investigation" game.

As always, the Nintendo Switch sheet can be found here.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Changelog:

Added the following games after this week's announcements:
  • Code of Princess EX
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Undertale
  • SaGa: Scarlet Grace
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Okami HD
  • Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
  • Little Nightmares: Complete Edition
I've also updated the release dates and other information for a number of other games.

As always, the Nintendo Switch sheet can be found here. Note that you can use the filter option (the funnel icon in the top-left corner) to filter things by genre / camera perspective / developer / publisher etc.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a lot of interesting game announcements this time around. I also thought I'd point out the current genre trends, in case people are interested. Read on for both.

As always, the Nintendo Switch sheet can be found here.

Changelog:

• GRIP
  • Mark of the Ninja: Remastered
  • Lumines Remastered
  • Fantasy Strike
  • The Messenger
  • Garage
  • Banner Saga
  • Banner Saga 2
  • Banner Saga 3
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Nidhogg 2
  • Just Shapes and Beats
  • ARK: Survival Evolved

Genre Breakdown of notable Switch games so far:

gOwIy7A.jpg

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Smaller update.

Changelog:

• Firewatch
  • Yo-kai Watch 4
  • Mega Man X Anniversary Collection 1+2
There's also been an update to the sales of Kamiko.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Quick couple of smaller updates in case people missed the last post.

Graceful Explosion Machine has sold just under 50,000 units in 12 months. The developers are happy with the result and have written about the experience on their blog.

Additionally, Kamiko has sold 200,000 units. This was mentioned in the previous update.

Changelog:
  • GEM sales updated.
  • Added the following Nippon Ichi Software games:
    • Disgaea Refine
    • Closed Nightmare
Also, I realize I'm super behind on updating/adding release dates for a ton of games. I hope to get around to doing that over the next couple of weeks.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is listed as having local multiplayer. But there doesn't seem to be any in the Wii U version? What am I missing here? Or is it just a mistake. Thanks!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Hi, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is listed as having local multiplayer. But there doesn't seem to be any in the Wii U version? What am I missing here? Or is it just a mistake. Thanks!
It's been added in the Switch version. It's akin to the "Helper mode" from Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Odyssey, nothing close to full on "co op" that you might see in NSMB and 3D World.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-coming-to-switch-w517639
As well as the original game, the re-release of Treasure Tracker will feature levels from Mario Odyssey, such as New Donk City, and multiplayer components.

Beaten!

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
The original Valkyria Chronicles has been announced for Switch and added to the sheet. Please keep an eye out for info on who's handling the port. If you happen to come across that piece of info before I do, it would be great if you could post it in here.

Now's also a good time to mention that info on porthouses for other games would be appreciated as well. :)

As always, the sheet can be found here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Nice thread!

open for suggestions? How about grey out spaces that cannot have a value? For instance first party Nintendo games wouldnt be ported so that space could be greyed. Makes it look less empty.

Have you stopped updating release dates? I see there's a few wrongs and lots of games released without dates.

Game Suggestions:

Steam World Dig
Butcher

Keep up the good work! :>

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread!

open for suggestions? How about grey out spaces that cannot have a value? For instance first party Nintendo games wouldnt be ported so that space could be greyed. Makes it look less empty.

Have you stopped updating release dates? I see there's a few wrongs and lots of games released without dates.

Game Suggestions:

Steam World Dig
Butcher

Keep up the good work! :>

Open to suggestions! I'll take these in order:

1. Porting of first-party games: I'm not sure what you mean here. First-party games like DK and Bayo 2 have already been ported from Wii U to Switch. A little clarity would help. :)

2. Release dates... yeah. These are probably the most boring part of this whole affair, so admittedly I keep putting them off, haha. I'll try to spend some time this week updating them.

3. Both added!