• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
So I came across this video the other day and while it has been posted on here, there are a few numbers we can infer from the information given + trophy unlock percentages which I think is interesting.

• Downed 46 million Thunderjaws in Horizon Zero Dawn - interesting info but as there are no trophies tied to these numbers it doesn't tell us a lot. Personally speaking I've only actually taken out about 2 of them in my game.
  • 2 million hole-in-ones in Everybody's Golf - I have not played the game, but I don't think we can infer anything from this.
  • 1.7 million hours played of Wipeout Omega Collection (194 years) - to be honest this seems very low, but on the other hand if 250k people have played it that's around 7 hours each. I hope it's sold well because it's one of the best HD collections I've ever played and the presentation is flawless.
  • 10.6 billion kilometres driven in GT Sport (enough to lap the world 260,000 times) - sounds like an awful lot but I don't think this tells us anything about total player numbers.
  • "630,000 of you have earned Bloodborne's Platinum trophy" - this is the most interesting one for me. According to the PS app on my phone 5.6% of players have earnt the Platinum trophy. Thus divide 630k by 5.6 to get 1% of players then multiply by 100 and you get the total of people who have played it: 11,250,000. Of course this isn't exact and the game was a PS+ freebie earlier this year, but it's still interesting to know how many people have played.
  • Fulfilled 1 million contracts in Firewall: Zero Hour - doesn't sound like we can extrapolate a lot of info from this, but if this is tied to trophy percentages where we can find out total player numbers let me know.
  • Defeated 18 million enemies in Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - again, I have not played this and we probably can't infer any real info from it unless there are trophies linked to number of enemies defeated
  • Saved the fish 4 million times in Detroit: Become Human - same as above; I have not played it but if this tells us something let me know. Developer Quantic Dream recently revealed it has sold 2 million copies so far making it their fastest-selling game to date.
  • "1.4 million of you have fully upgraded God of War's Leviathan Axe" - weirdly this information directly contradicts info SMS shared a few months ago which says that it has been played by 9.13 million players. According to the PS app trophy list 20.1% of people have this trophy (called "Worthy"), but if 1.4 million is 20.1 percent then unless my calculations are wonky then 100 percent should be 6.97 million. Maybe I've gone wrong somewhere, or perhaps this info in the trailer is outdated by more than a few months.
  • And lastly, "(Almost) 1 million people have found all of the treasures in Uncharted 4" - again, there's a trophy for this which stands at 1.6% attained. This suggests that the game has been played by almost 62.5 million people, which definitely isn't right.

Worth bearing in mind that this only tells us how many people have played the game, not how many copies it's sold (so not accounting for copies borrowed, rented, re-sold, account sharing, etc). If I have made any mistakes in calculations please let me know, and I am assuming percentages given on my PS app are correct, but if anyone else's contradicts this please let me know.

Edit - fixed a dodgy calculation as per gebler in post #13.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
these numbers or the trophy % are most likely wrong. there is really no point in trying to find that out as the differnece between 9m god of war players and 7m is just too big for it to be reliable.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
The trophy % might not include people who have their trophies/profiles set to private.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm relatively sure the trophy % is different across regions.

EDIT: Or at least versions, which GoW might not have? I know for FFXV you can find at least 3 different %s for every trophy.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good speculation OP but I don't think the trophy stats are a reliable prediction. It comes with too many caveats and mitigating factors. For one, Bloodborne has been free in a couple of different regions. Not only that but a lot of people have their trophies set to private etc etc

Using this stat you could be over or under by several million.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Bloodborne isn't that damn hard & neither is Souls, it's good to see that many people stuck with the game & beat it, instead of getting rekt by Father Gascoigne & quitting it, which sadly a lot of people did when it was free on PSN+.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
I posted this on the first party thread yesterday:

If someone is interested, Locoroco has been played by aproximately 100k players on PS4. And KH2 by 900k.

Thanks to the PS4 Life video I have seen that my rarest trophy is More Friends To Play With which has been obtained by 21363 users. The % of users that got the trophy is 21%

21363*100/21 = 101728

KH2 Final Mix (Pro Skater trophy)
48273*100/5.4 = 893944

Edit

This should include multiple players on the same console but not users who have bought the game and have not played it. For example I bought KH1.5+2.5 a long time ago but didn't start KH2 until today, so I didn't have trophy data for the game.

Lots of people are sharing their rarest trophy data so, if someone has the time and the games they can calculate the number of players.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=#MyPS4Life

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
That Thunderjaw number sounds pretty impressive. I played through twice and I killed them almost every time I saw one cause it's my favorite fight, and I would be surprised if I killed more than 50 of them.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
And lastly, "(Almost) 1 million people have found all of the treasures in Uncharted 4" - again, there's a trophy for this which stands at 1.6% attained. This suggests that the game has been played by almost 160 million people, which definitely isn't right. Maybe they mean almost 100,000 found all the treasures which would be about 16 million players total, which seems much more realistic.

I think you miscalculated this one. 1 million divided by 1.6% is 62.5 million, not 160 million. Still seems too much, though.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
[*]Saved the fish 4 million times in Detroit: Become Human - same as above; I have not played it but if this tells us something let me know.
Fish is a decision point on the start of 1st mission with a tracked%. It would give us an upper bound in terms of players(eg. If its 50%, that would be 8milion). Of course, anyone can re-play the scene, so actual player count is likely less. Also the scene was in the demo, so if the stats are combined, that would skew the number of full game players.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Fish is a decision point on the start of 1st mission with a tracked%. It would give us an upper bound in terms of players(eg. If its 50%, that would be 8milion). Of course, anyone can re-play the scene, so actual player count is likely less. Also the scene was in the demo, so if the stats are combined, that would skew the number of full game players.
Fish is between 40-60% on a global scale so the first chapter of Detroit was roughly completed 8 million times as you said, not counting offline players. No clue if it includes the demo or not. Probably includes multiple playthroughs and all things like lent discs, second hand sales and the like. Multiple playthrough margin likely isn't too high since people rarely replay games but all the other factors combined definetly reduce the actual playercount or sold copies a lot. Maybe close to 4 million unique players and around 2.2-2.3 million copies sold so far given the recent announcement

OP
OP
Triggerhappytel
Oct 27, 2017
I posted this on the first party thread yesterday:

Lots of people are sharing their rarest trophy data so, if someone has the time and the games they can calculate the number of players.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=#MyPS4Life

That's a good idea.

My rarest was Red in Tooth and Claw from Slain, which only 1613 people have earned. 2.3% of people have earnt this trophy, therefore 70,130 people have played the game.

Shame it's not higher really as the Back From Hell re-release was a damn good game and it's been on sale for dirt cheap multiple times.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trophies only update if you go to the trophies section and manually sync IIRC. So that should account for the difference.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
You can't infer any numbers from trophy stats. All people's stats are not captured in those numbers.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wait does that mean 11M have bought Bloodborne?? or there's some fuzzy math with these numbers?

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trophy data is definitely wonky. I've completed Uncharted 4 and had somewhere around 60% of trophies, but now I don't for some reason. You would think I've never played the game if you looked at my profile now. I can only assume it wasn't synched online so when I moved to a PS4 Pro, the trophy data disappeared. Then there's also the factor of lending people the game. I'm sure peeps still do that, so you've likely got players who've not bought the game but have played it. I've lent my copy to something like 6 people I think.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Boodborne platinium trophy was the easiest to get of all the souldborne games.

Still, 11M ? Pretty glad if true.