• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi hi everyone, and welcome to another MafiEra season review, where we discuss events that happened in the past few months, and look back on recent games.
As always, we thank all this season's gamerunners and users who in one way or another helped making these games happen!

As a reminder, the games we had this season were:
  • The Mansion, by Brazil
  • Simon Says, by Pedro
  • 999, by Faddy
  • Grand Mini Mafia V, by Fireblend and Stuart444
  • Maple Street, by Dr. Monkey
  • House of Horrors, by Natiko

---

1. Something happened a few times during this season that we think could be addressed: backseat modding.
In more than one game:

• Players and spectators took upon themselves to try and police the tone of ongoing discussions in a game thread;
• Living players sent messages to gamerunners asking them to take their side on an argument, and/or to send warnings to the other players in that argument;
• More recently, gamerunner-restricted commands were used by others without approval, forcing us to manually restart the vote tool so it could work correctly.

We know that in most of the situations above, these users just wanted to help the gamerunner and the community they're a part of, but ultimately that interferes with the job that the gamerunner and the others in the modchat should do; that's what they're there for, to moderate the game. And with the specific gamerunner guidelines in place now (which exist, among other reasons, to maintain the vote tool so Fireblend doesn't have to be online and ready to fix it at all times), leaving moderation to the group of people assigned to that game is more important than ever.

If you think something should be done regarding an ongoing game, please contact the gamerunner and/or the modchat privately instead of doing it yourself, and trust them to do their job and manage their games. And when talking with them, don't order them to do something, but merely suggest them how to handle a problem.

2. Lack of interest in adopting games. Since that program started, none of the listed games were taken by someone to be run, and the "Adopt a Design" thread hasn't received a single post. And we'd like to know if people aren't interested in the idea in the first place, or if there is a problem in the messaging that could be fixed to make those games more attractive to people. Have you thought about adopting a game? If so, why haven't you, and if not, why not?

3. Lack of interest in designing games. In the last trimester of 2017, when we were still settling in on the new forum and trying to find each other, 3 games were pitched to the Review Team and started being worked on.
During the first trimester of 2018 we saw a surge of new users, and many of those wanted to make their own game; because of that, 7 games were pitched during that period.
As time went on, the number of new designs per trimester diminished further and further, to the point that in the last trimester of 2018 only 1 game was sent for review, and in this year's first trimester, again only 1 game was being worked on.
If this rate keeps up, we will not have enough games to be run until the end of the year, and that's worrisome.

We can plug the gaps by running Minis indefinitely, or even better having some games adopted (see the point above), but ideally we'd like to have unique games being created continuously, and by a larger set of people willing to run games than we currently have.
If you have never hosted a game in our community please consider doing so, and if you only did it once, please give it another shot now that you know how things happen in the background. It's thanks to many people that we keep building and taking care of our community, but this place only works as long as we have games to be played.
If you think you might be interested in running a game eventually: what would help you? What resources and support do you need that you think are missing?

4. After a brief discussion in the OT we started moving away from the usage of the word "lynch" and encouraging alternatives instead. How is that going?

5. We debuted and began testing a new priority system that measures game play over time. The new system was discussed heavily in our OT and there are a few specific posts that may help outline the system (the discussion is all around them if you want to revisit that):
https://www.resetera.com/posts/19794870
https://www.resetera.com/posts/19853871

We conducted a survey on priority and Dr. Monkey will post anonymized concerns from that as a reply here. The idea of point decay was raised and generally considered a good addition; Monkey will post a follow-up on that, too.
One thing we should do is hammer out an official definition of a Mini game to avoid any future confusion. For our purposes in Scheduling (and in working to design this system), we consider a Mini any game with a pre-set system - either a generator or standardized set up. Mini games do not have to go through review because they are already balanced because they come from something standard.

The question of whether 999 Mafia should count for priority due to length of time it ran - as in, should we change this system? - should probably be addressed here. Or rather - should any game have to run for X length of time in order to count for priority? Or should we continue with the current measure, which classifies any Mafia game that is reviewed as part of the priority system?

6. This is a topic brought up in multiple seasonal reviews in the past, but as new users join the community and players host games for the first time, learning how things work in the background, it's worth addressing it again:
During this season, a few players indicated some discomfort with in-game attitudes. How can we all best address differences in what people think is and isn't appropriate behavior within the rules? How do we measure aggression?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Follow-up to the OP--

Here are some observations from the text part of the survey on priority, and some combined text/numbers observations. Note: some of these may be the same person, or maybe different people; I didn't check, because I didn't want a sense of who might be saying what.

Numbers indicated there was more desire to wait to change the system until after the testing period, but there was also some feeling (1-2 people) in text about wanting to weigh in. Would it be helpful to open a board on OM where we could hash over data and anyone who wanted to help work out numbers could see the comparisons and tests? That way we aren't clogging up the OT with an ongoing thing but we're also fostering opportunities for people to help out and for the information to be out in the open, so everyone can see how the decisions get made.

I think this might be helpful, too, since while there's strong support for a system of point decay over time, there's not agreement in the survey results for what that looks like. We have a range of opinions on aggressive versus very moderate decay, so we will need to develop a few different possibilities before we start asking Pedro to make spreadsheet changes. There were also some other ideas floated, such as adjusting the measurement period. We did test that and in an OM thread, we can repeat that testing and see if anything changed from then to now.

Someone asked:
What happens if someone that subbed into the game subs out at a later time? Is the reduction amount the same, regardless of when the player subbed in (eg. subbing in on D1 vs D4)?

We discussed various measures here and IF there should be a difference, but the purpose of replacement bonus is to reward people being willing to serve as replacements/staying out of spec to do that, so if you replace after a game starts, you get the bonus, period. It's hard to measure the labor of replacing, because games are different - some games have a really busy d1 and some don't. So replacing is replacing.

Someone also raised the idea of different points for different death timing. We can discuss this - and did when we were planning this system - but I am so strongly against it. We currently divide things between dying early/not dying early and I think that acknowledges that someone may not have gotten to play a "full" game. Otherwise, I find so little difference between someone who dies n4 and d5 - and it ends up penalizing, in a sense, people who live to the end of the game. For people who seem to roll scum a lot, or who are quiet and often left alive, this becomes an issue. We can discuss it and should if there's general feeling about it, but I feel there's a lot of potential for unfairness there.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
In regards to not having enough games, I thought there were seasons of backlogged reviewed games? Was I lied to!?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Well, well, well. How has the adopt a game been doing on that front?
No one has formally taken a game. Fanto expressed interest (and Stu, I think? Together?) but Fanto's going to run his designed game first. So one may be claimed. Not the others. I'd take one but I already have two games in the pipeline.

OP
OP
Pedro

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to not having enough games, I thought there were seasons of backlogged reviewed games? Was I lied to!?
There *was* a point when we had +10 games ready to go, but almost all of them have been used by now.

Currently, 4 games are ready to be adopted by someone. There are 4 other games that need a few finishing touches until they're ready to be adopted, but given I saw 0 demand for the first 4, I didn't see the urgency to work on the others.
If I start seeing them being picked up, I'll add more games to that list (that you can find here: https://www.outermafia.com/index.php?threads/295).

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
2. I prefer designing(or helping designing) games and running them, so wouldn't really be interested in adopting one unless I really find it interesting.
3. Designing, waiting for it to be reviewed, waiting in the queue and finally running it is a long process that some people might not have the time to wait for.
4. I haven't played this season but it would be really hard for me to not use the word like I have previously said.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Mini games just being any existing set-ups. I don't think length should matter but that information can always just be communicated during sign-ups and people can decide to play accordingly.

I completely missed the survey about the priority system but the decay system is a good idea. I don't know what the formula for the overall system is but maybe it decays on a monthly basis, weekly or bi-weekly seems too quick. Keeping the replacement bonus if you sub in then out is fine, they still filled a gap even if they didn't have the time to finish the game.

About the game design point, I have an idea which I've had for a good while which I'd like to pitch eventually. Just a matter of sitting down and figuring out some of the ideas for it because it's different. I will say that I was under the impression there was a substantial backlog which is part of the reason I haven't got round to finishing it. As for the Adopt a Game feature, I'm not against running a game under that but having this idea around has me more interested in running that than anything else, at least currently.

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
3. Designing, waiting for it to be reviewed, waiting in the queue and finally running it is a long process that some people might not have the time to wait for.
I think the friction is an important factor; perhaps give the designer more authority so they don't feel held back by the process.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I have multiple other ideas for game designs (including the one I keep stringing Geno along with), but I ended up discouraged from actually making them a reality because it took almost a year for Mansion to run :P

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I have multiple other ideas for game designs (including the one I keep stringing Geno along with), but I ended up discouraged from actually making them a reality because it took almost a year for Mansion to run :P
Lol maybe we should get on that soon since there's not many games in queue, we might get to run it sooner :P.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
1. Something happened a few times during this season that we think could be addressed: backseat modding.
I don't think I engaged in any of this, but if I did I definitely apologize for it and it was not intentional.
2. Lack of interest in adopting games.
I am interested in being part of this program, I just have a custom designed game, and another one that I am slowly working on, that are kind of in the forefront for me. But I am definitely interested in this program and would like to probably co-run one of these with someone in the future.
3. Lack of interest in designing games.
As stated above, I am currently working on another game with someone, and I do plan to continue to design games to run here. I will try to start speeding things up here a bit now though knowing that there is somewhat of a shortage right now.
4. After a brief discussion in the OT we started moving away from the usage of the word "lynch" and encouraging alternatives instead. How is that going?
It's going well for me still, though I do find myself slipping up and using it occasionally, usually when I'm making a post in somewhat of a rush and don't stop to think.

Otherwise, I'm still a fan of just saying "vote out" since it works in almost every context that one would use the term "lynch" instead. "This is the person we should lynch" becomes "This is the person we should vote out." "This person was lynched yesterday" becomes "This person was voted out yesterday."
5. We debuted and began testing a new priority system that measures game play over time.
I do like the new priority system and think with some more tweaks and feedback it can get to a really good place. I think the most important thing is just making sure it's transparent, or at least if someone is wondering why they didn't get into a game then they can ask and get their priority score given to them with an explanation for how it was calculated.
6. This is a topic brought up in multiple seasonal reviews in the past, but as new users join the community and players host games for the first time, learning how things work in the background, it's worth addressing it again:
During this season, a few players indicated some discomfort with in-game attitudes. How can we all best address differences in what people think is and isn't appropriate behavior within the rules? How do we measure aggression?
I think it's a really hard thing to measure and probably needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis. I haven't had any experience with having to make these kinds of calls yet though.

------------------

Would it be helpful to open a board on OM where we could hash over data and anyone who wanted to help work out numbers could see the comparisons and tests?
I definitely think this would be a good idea.
Someone also raised the idea of different points for different death timing. We can discuss this - and did when we were planning this system - but I am so strongly against it. We currently divide things between dying early/not dying early and I think that acknowledges that someone may not have gotten to play a "full" game. Otherwise, I find so little difference between someone who dies n4 and d5 - and it ends up penalizing, in a sense, people who live to the end of the game. For people who seem to roll scum a lot, or who are quiet and often left alive, this becomes an issue. We can discuss it and should if there's general feeling about it, but I feel there's a lot of potential for unfairness there.
I agree with all of this, yeah. I think there is definitely a difference between dying D1/N1 and dying later in the game, but the differences between a N3 and N4 death aren't really that big of a deal in my eyes.

Oct 26, 2017
Question!

1) For backseat modding: is it considered backseat modding when a player gets turbo'd and I would @ a gamerunner to make them aware?

2) As a newer player, I didn't realize we can adopt games! Is there only one gamerunner, or might there be times there are 2? I'm intrigued, but I'm nervous about not having enough time and curious if there are ever two gamerunners to balance the load? Though I suppose I'm not entirely sure what all goes into game running. I'll have to go take a look.

3) Oooh. Designing games?! Very surface level, but after Maple Street, I kept thinking about how much I love Battlestar Galactica, and possibility of a game around it. To follow the theme though...some cylons aren't aware they are baddies, and it seems to naturally lean towards a bastard game? I'm not sure if people enjoy those games more or less though. I'll have to ponder.

4) I like staying away from lynch. Lunch is a very fun alternative. Much more kind. Who doesn't like going to lunch?

5) No comment

6) As a new player....yes yes yes. I'll be honest that there were more than a few times that players heated personalities and aggression completely sucked my energy away, and they weren't even aiming this heat at me. This is why I've (annoyingly) stated a few times in previous games that....hey, this IS a game, after all. I applaud Brazil, Kopite, and Rover in the previous game for going after me and never making me feel like they were being assholes or anything. They were good-sports and had just the right amount of heat in their posts. Fun is the most important aspect. But there are times people take these games far too seriously, and I don't know how to get away from that. And if it is ever a strategy to be aggressive in order to get reads...well....there has to be a line somewhere. I just don't know the line.

And Zeke just reminded me. Truffleshuffle should be banned. It's a cursed dance that only brings death and destruction.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
he question of whether 999 Mafia should count for priority due to length of time it ran - as in, should we change this system? - should probably be addressed here. Or rather - should any game have to run for X length of time in order to count for priority? Or should we continue with the current measure, which classifies any Mafia game that is reviewed as part of the priority system?
Oh, I missed this part when I was grabbing quotes. I don't have much of an opinion here I guess? I think the current way makes sense, but I also thought Faddy and some others made valid points when discussing 999 in the OT a few weeks back, so I guess I'm kind of indifferent here and would be fine with whatever conclusion is reached.
Fanto expressed interest (and Stu, I think? Together?) but Fanto's going to run his designed game first.
Yes, and I still am interested in taking one, preferably with someone to co-run with me, I just hadn't realized my game was ready to be run already. Next season though, I definitely would be down to run one. I would also be interested in running Mini games if there is ever a need.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Also I want to say that if you want to review a game make sure you have some free time to do so, don't say you will review and come in once every 2 weeks to make 2 comments and disappear for another 2 weeks, I understand everyone has lives but this just makes the process 100 times more frustrating and time wasting.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
1) For backseat modding: is it considered backseat modding when a player gets turbo'd and I would @ a gamerunner to make them aware?

2) As a newer player, I didn't realize we can adopt games! Is there only one gamerunner, or might there be times there are 2? I'm intrigued, but I'm nervous about not having enough time and curious if there are ever two gamerunners to balance the load? Though I suppose I'm not entirely sure what all goes into game running. I'll have to go take a look.
1. No, that's necessary; gamerunners may not be looking. Anything that is up to the gamerunner, including sending messages about how to run the game, which has happened a lot in the past few seasons.

2. There's a mod team for every game for support, but you can also have a co-mod if you want!

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and Vincent showing up reminded me of something we briefly discussed in the spec thread for House of Horrors:

Would anyone else be interested in having a thread on OM where we can just talk game strategy with each other and ask questions or share wisdom with each other? I remember quite a few people agreeing with that thought in the spec thread, and I did as well, so I figure it's worth bringing up in here too.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
In more than one game:

• Players and spectators took upon themselves to try and police the tone of ongoing discussions in a game thread;
• Living players sent messages to gamerunners asking them to take their side on an argument, and/or to send warnings to the other players in that argument;
• More recently, gamerunner-restricted commands were used by others without approval, forcing us to manually restart the vote tool so it could work correctly.

let's take these 3 points individually:

1. Spectators obviously shouldn't but Players are part of the game so if things are getting out of hand, I don't see an issue with players trying to calm the tone of things down without resorting to pming the gamerunner who may or may not be online at the time

2. I understand the idea of players sending messages to gamerunners to get them on their side which is a no no (Gamerunner should be unbias'd and not take someones side just because they pm'd them first) but this being brought up as an issue could maybe turn people away from pming the gamerunner if legit issues happen.

(doesn't help when sometimes, the gamerunner may let things go instead of sending a warning so as not to draw attention to whatever issue happened in the game thread)

3. Yup. No comment besides that.

2. Lack of interest in adopting games. Since that program started, none of the listed games were taken by someone to be run, and the "Adopt a Design" thread hasn't received a single post. And we'd like to know if people aren't interested in the idea in the first place, or if there is a problem in the messaging that could be fixed to make those games more attractive to people. Have you thought about adopting a game? If so, why haven't you, and if not, why not?

Maybe because the games themselves aren't interesting to people? (as in the theme) Or maybe because the people interested would rather play in them than run them? Just some thoughts on that.

3. Lack of interest in designing games.

Just want to say, me and empressdonna are designing a game. We asked Retro for a board on OM and are currently working on it. Hope others get on the design bandwagon though.

We can plug the gaps by running Minis indefinitely, or even better having some games adopted (see the point above), but ideally we'd like to have unique games being created continuously, and by a larger set of people willing to run games than we currently have.

Despite how I felt after the last mini, I'm willing to run any minis if we need for any gaps in the schedule.

Lunch seems to be used rather a lot now. No issues with that tbh

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone else be interested in having a thread on OM where we can just talk game strategy with each other and ask questions or share wisdom with each other? I remember quite a few people agreeing with that thought in the spec thread, and I did as well, so I figure it's worth bringing up in here too.
It's gonna happen! We're doing some work on OM (really, Sorian is) and that's definitely going to be a thing ASAP. It's such a good idea.

empressdonna

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland, United Kingdom
For me, I know the reason I haven't offered to adopt the games is that I worry I don't know certain themes well enough to be willing to adopt them. I feel more comfortable with things I know well which is why me and stu decided to start to design a game together.

I know that is probably a little silly of me, but it's just the way my mind works in this regard XD.

OP
OP
Pedro

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It took me a year to run Simon Says so I feel you. But the time between reviewing -> hosting will def be shorter now (unless everyone and their pets start designing games xD).

Also I want to say that if you want to review a game make sure you have some free time to do so, don't say you will review and come in once every 2 weeks to make 2 comments and disappear for another 2 weeks, I understand everyone has lives but this just makes the process 100 times more frustrating and time wasting.

I think when the Review Team starts noticing that this happening with a certain reviewer becomes a pattern, such reviewer slowly stops being asked to review more games. But yeah, it's frustrating.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
A thought about this: Perhaps giving new gamerunners some kind of a priority boost, similar to the priority boost when signing up to play in a game, might encourage more people to design their own games if they know they'll be able to run it relatively soon? I'm not entirely sure how to work something like this out, but it's just a thought I had.
It's gonna happen! We're doing some work on OM (really, Sorian is) and that's definitely going to be a thing ASAP. It's such a good idea.
Awesome!

OP
OP
Pedro

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A thought about this: Perhaps giving new gamerunners some kind of a priority boost, similar to the priority boost when signing up to play in a game, might encourage more people to design their own games if they know they'll be able to run it relatively soon? I'm not entirely sure how to work something like this out, but it's just a thought I had.

I really like this idea, it's worth thinking about it.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I'm not sure this is the best idea, since if even 2 new players design a game and are put in front of an old time player, that might mean close to 2 months of more waiting, the goal should be to cut waiting for everyone and not lowering it for some and raising it for others. However, this idea might mean more games.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would theoretically use the adopt-a-game program as a training wheel to run games, except that I don't feel able to run games. It seems like a good program on the surface, though. My availability is too spotty to feel committed to running one, possibly even as a co-mod. If that adjusts I'd most likely volunteer to co with an experienced runner before even thinking about designing and running a game as first chair.

Priority decay is a fine idea. Any priority system is a fine idea. I just am happy to wait and see where my name shows up on a given list, and since I haven't stepped up for any management, you won't see me complain about the methodology. However! I strongly support a full dataset before moving to testing new variables. Sometimes data collection takes time.

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I don't think new players are not submitting games because of the time it takes. They don't know how long it takes because they haven't submitted a game yet.
I think veterans care though and a priority system would possibly make it take longer for them.

OP
OP
Pedro

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to hear people are still interested in designing games; seems not enough people making games is a consequence of too many people making games last year. Please work on your pet projects <3

What happened to that game I reviewed?
Neeks is busy with RL so I'm waiting until she's available so we can run that one 👍

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to hear people are still interested in designing games; seems not enough people making games is a consequence of too many people making games last year. Please work on your pet projects <3

no ones designed/designing a Digimon game right? Just want to know for uh, research purposes XD.

On designing a game: is there a guide or anything out there for what to consider?

check out this forum:

https://www.outermafia.com/index.php?forums/26/

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think new players are not submitting games because of the time it takes. They don't know how long it takes because they haven't submitted a game yet.
I think veterans care though and a priority system would possibly make it take longer for them.
Well, I had definitely heard some talk in the community at least that there was some decent wait time between "game gets reviewed -> actually running the game" just from what people would casually say in the OT or in spec threads, and that had definitely made me a little wary about how long I would need to wait to run my own game once I started designing it.

I suppose just placing new gamerunners ahead of anyone who has run a game before wouldn't be perfect, I wouldn't want to discourage the more prolific gamerunners from continuing to make a lot of games by thinking there would always be people ahead of them in the queue. I think there is some room there to maybe figure out a way to incentivize or encourage new people to join in on designing games though, or even for past gamerunners who haven't ran one for a few seasons to get back in on the action if they want to.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I was! But then I gradually started to realize it was moving further and further away from actual Mafia and stopped, because at that point it just became odd.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Reporting from scheduling: we arrange games by seasons based on time in queue but also in an effort to balance game types and sizes, so a designer priority system might mess up season design regardless. I suppose it isn't necessary to balance game types, but when we can, it makes for a nice experience. One of those invisible things that isn't apparent until it breaks.

The best way to get games run more quickly is to expand the size of the community so we can run more games at once! Bring your friends. (But then we'd also have to design faster.)

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
On designing a game: is there a guide or anything out there for what to consider?
If you are interested in designing one, I would suggest finding a veteran in the community who can help you put it together and possibly co-run it with you as well. That's what I did for the not-so-secret game that I'm running next season, and also what I did for the slightly-more-secret-but-also-not-so-secret other game that I am currently working on.
Reporting from scheduling: we arrange games by seasons based on time in queue but also in an effort to balance game types and sizes, so a designer priority system might mess up season design regardless. I suppose it isn't necessary to balance game types, but when we can, it makes for a nice experience. One of those invisible things that isn't apparent until it breaks.

The best way to get games run more quickly is to expand the size of the community so we can run more games at once! Bring your friends. (But then we'd also have to design faster.)
Ah, yeah that makes sense, wouldn't want there to be like 4 different 25 player Bastard games in one season just because they were up on the queue next... or would we? 🤔

But yeah, I'm just trying to think of a way to encourage people, especially those who haven't done it yet, to design games if something people are bringing up is the wait time, but I suppose just having more people around definitely increases both the number of games being made and the number of games being run eventually.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Hi hi everyone, and welcome to another MafiEra season review, where we discuss events that happened in the past few months, and look back on recent games.
As always, we thank all this season's gamerunners and users who in one way or another helped making these games happen!

As a reminder, the games we had this season were:
  • The Mansion, by Brazil
  • Simon Says, by Pedro
  • 999, by Faddy
  • Grand Mini Mafia V, by Fireblend and Stuart444
  • Maple Street, by Dr. Monkey
  • House of Horrors, by Natiko

---

In more than one game:

We know that in most of the situations above, these users just wanted to help the gamerunner and the community they're a part of, but ultimately that interferes with the job that the gamerunner and the others in the modchat should do; that's what they're there for, to moderate the game. And with the specific gamerunner guidelines in place now (which exist, among other reasons, to maintain the vote tool so Fireblend doesn't have to be online and ready to fix it at all times), leaving moderation to the group of people assigned to that game is more important than ever.

If you think something should be done regarding an ongoing game, please contact the gamerunner and/or the modchat privately instead of doing it yourself, and trust them to do their job and manage their games. And when talking with them, don't order them to do something, but merely suggest them how to handle a problem.
Yeah, this has been an issue in both of the games I've ran. If as a player you feel there is an issue you are more than welcome to contact the gamerunner to let them know your concern, but you should by no means try and force them to go with the decision you want or lobby for a specific action to be taken. In both GOT and HoH the players doing this have honestly ruined a large part of the enjoyment for me. It's extremely rude.

Lack of interest in adopting games. Since that program started, none of the listed games were taken by someone to be run, and the "Adopt a Design" thread hasn't received a single post. And we'd like to know if people aren't interested in the idea in the first place, or if there is a problem in the messaging that could be fixed to make those games more attractive to people. Have you thought about adopting a game? If so, why haven't you, and if not, why not?
I still suspect a lot of it is the themes aren't all interesting to everyone. I've offered to help run the Devil one I reviewed if someone else with more interest in the flavor helps but that's about it.

Lack of interest in designing games. In the last trimester of 2017, when we were still settling in on the new forum and trying to find each other, 3 games were pitched to the Review Team and started being worked on.
During the first trimester of 2018 we saw a surge of new users, and many of those wanted to make their own game; because of that, 7 games were pitched during that period.
As time went on, the number of new designs per trimester diminished further and further, to the point that in the last trimester of 2018 only 1 game was sent for review, and in this year's first trimester, again only 1 game was being worked on.
If this rate keeps up, we will not have enough games to be run until the end of the year, and that's worrisome.

If you have never hosted a game in our community please consider doing so, and if you only did it once, please give it another shot now that you know how things happen in the background. It's thanks to many people that we keep building and taking care of our community, but this place only works as long as we have games to be played.
If you think you might be interested in running a game eventually: what would help you? What resources and support do you need that you think are missing?
I think some of this is on us. We communicated the long wait to everyone, but once things started drying up we weren't proactive in letting everyone know that the queue had shrunk.

After a brief discussion in the OT we started moving away from the usage of the word "lynch" and encouraging alternatives instead. How is that going?
It's going well, though I still sometimes slip into saying lynch when others are using the term. I think continuing on as is would be the best course. Encouraging the use of alternatives informally, but not making it a formal rule.

We debuted and began testing a new priority system that measures game play over time. The new system was discussed heavily in our OT and there are a few specific posts that may help outline the system (the discussion is all around them if you want to revisit that):
https://www.resetera.com/posts/19794870
https://www.resetera.com/posts/19853871

We conducted a survey on priority and Dr. Monkey will post anonymized concerns from that as a reply here. The idea of point decay was raised and generally considered a good addition; Monkey will post a follow-up on that, too.
One thing we should do is hammer out an official definition of a Mini game to avoid any future confusion. For our purposes in Scheduling (and in working to design this system), we consider a Mini any game with a pre-set system - either a generator or standardized set up. Mini games do not have to go through review because they are already balanced because they come from something standard.

The question of whether 999 Mafia should count for priority due to length of time it ran - as in, should we change this system? - should probably be addressed here. Or rather - should any game have to run for X length of time in order to count for priority? Or should we continue with the current measure, which classifies any Mafia game that is reviewed as part of the priority system?
I'm still game for tweaks to the priority system and will be available to help on those once work starts up fully on it again. I like the idea of a decay system, but I feel the models we've seen are probably too aggressive. Need some actual comparisons to work with.

As for the definition of a mini game I still think we just stick with the current definition. I get that people want to argue that it should simply be up to the game runner as opposed to being dictated by community resources, but frankly that's a very dismissive view of the tons of hours some of us sink into keeping everything going. It's not all just a simple side task. If we start letting people just run things willy nilly, the work on the OM side alone will become even more involved when we've already seen multiple people leave the team due to over work.

This is a topic brought up in multiple seasonal reviews in the past, but as new users join the community and players host games for the first time, learning how things work in the background, it's worth addressing it again:
This is all extremely subjective, but I think a couple things really need to be reinforced. The first being that the rules stipulate that it is at the gamerunner's discretion how to handle these incidents. They're going to be subjective, that's the nature of things. What one player finds offensive another won't even bat an eye at. It can't be a one size shoe fits all.

The second thing is that in general people need to consider what the game of mafia is. It's about lying, deceit, pressure. Things will almost certainly get heated sometimes. It's on us as players to realize when we're going overboard and to do better. At the same time, we also need to not try and weaponize it. In both of my games I have seen players take extremely tame "insults" and then try and spin a yarn to me in private about how horrid it is and how I should do X, Y, and Z. All of this despite me having provided a warning in the thread and in private. Don't assume you know every step a game runner has taken, and also remember that no one does these alone. Incidents like that almost always get bounced around the mod chat with numerous community members providing thoughts and opinions on what to do. In general though, don't try and turn small incidents into huge ordeals, especially when you know said player has received a warning. It's disingenuous.

Oh, and Vincent showing up reminded me of something we briefly discussed in the spec thread for House of Horrors:

Yeah, this is still a good idea and we plan to do it.

Awesome!
I'm not completely opposed to this idea, but I think the solution (if we actually hit a big backlog again which isn't a guarantee) is what I proposed..I dunno like three or four seasons ago. Instead of messing with how we queue the games we alter how we run them. A game doesn't have to completely end and then have a week downtime before we start recruiting for the next one and often times that's what we do. When the next game on deck is a shorter one it's even more silly to wait.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
I have thoughts but since I was going over the priority thing this did catch me.

Someone asked:
What happens if someone that subbed into the game subs out at a later time? Is the reduction amount the same, regardless of when the player subbed in (eg. subbing in on D1 vs D4)?

I think that after night 2 there should be no change in someone's priority if they sub in. Just like giving players who die early a small boost I think at some point subbing in becomes more of a negative than positive experience and priority should reflect that. Like Stan subbing in late to HoH probably wasn't a great experience for him even though the game ended shortly afterwards.

So a reduction for subbing in before Day 3 and then no score for subbing in later.

OP
OP
Pedro

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think that after night 2 there should be no change in someone's priority if they sub in. Just like giving players who die early a small boost I think at some point subbing in becomes more of a negative than positive experience and priority should reflect that. Like Stan subbing in late to HoH probably wasn't a great experience for him even though the game ended shortly afterwards.

So a reduction for subbing in before Day 3 and then no score for subbing in later.

I disagree with this. We want to reward people for subbing into a game, regardless of when they do it or how many pages they have to read to catch up.
But ignoring that, it's because people need to put in work to replace someone in a game that we give them a boost. If it's indeed a negative experience (I'd like to hear others' opinions on this), that's more reason to reward them with a better priority next time. Not giving them that would only make people less likely to sub in in the future, the opposite of what we want.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with this. We want to reward people for subbing into a game, regardless of when they do it or how many pages they have to read to catch up.
But ignoring that, it's because people need to put in work to replace someone in a game that we give them a boost. If it's indeed a negative experience (I'd like to hear others' opinions on this), that's more reason to reward them with a better priority next time. Not giving them that would only make people less likely to sub in in the future, the opposite of what we want.
I think Faddy is arguing for .5 priority points for subbing into a game early and 0 priority points for someone subbing in late (as in it doesn't hurt their chances of getting into a future game at all).

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
On backseat modding. it has happened in my games but I thought the person doing it was giving me a heads up with the best intentions and wasn't involved in the issue.

At the same time it is kind of "angleshooting" to ping a mod about an in game argument because players can read into any response they receive. I think players should respect that the gamerunner and spectators are reading the thread and appropriate action will be taken.

2. and 3. I think go together. I think we just came out of having a glut of games that were in the queue for quite a while. I don't think there is any real need to panic about a lack of games. At the same time I'm sure plenty of people hearing that it won't take the best part of a year to get a game to run will get people back into the game running spirit. Whether that is their own game or adopt a design. As soon as it was posted in the thread that an adopt a game could be in next season a few people gave an immediate positive response.

4. Umm it went ok in 999 and a couple of other games. I used it quite a bit in HoH... but that is because I couldn't think of another word and I don't think Natiko provided an alternative word.

5. I have made my feelings clear on priority matters and 999. I still thing some sort of weighting system that places recent games over older games in the 5 sign up periods makes sense. Excluding 999 from priority calculations just makes the most sense to me.

6. Measuring aggression is part of the issue with back seat modding. What is acceptable conduct in mafia is not necessarily the same as in other threads on ERA. And that isn't an excuse to break ERA rules on tone and language but players have to understand that mafia is a game of social deception and manipulation. People are lying to you. The rule I keep for myself is do not make any personal attacks. But at the same time if I want to accuse someone of "not solving the game" some people are going to take that personally because it is undermining their effort. I think the best way to take those accusations is to respond positively but that is hard to do all the time.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
I think Faddy is arguing for .5 priority points for subbing into a game early and 0 priority points for someone subbing in late (as in it doesn't hurt their chances of getting into a future game at all).

Yeah that is what I meant.

I don't know if it needs to be taken further than that but it could be, like a negative number. I thought one of the main factors of the new system was to try and reduce or at least simplify the number of rules and variations for priority. Like maintaining a whole separate list of who replaced into what game is not ideal. Monkey's consolidated 5 sign up periods was supposed to make it fairer and simpler.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
We discussed just making it zero, period ( think that was my initial push) - as in if you replace in, you don't gain any points and your priority remains the same. For someone like Gorlak who did get done dirty (koff I did him dirty) in GoT, this is ideal and I think exceptions could be made, but for anything else, we get back to the same thing as measuring reviews, aggression, etc. How do we measure the labor of replacing in? In some games, it's really easy; in others, it's not. So yeah, keeping one rule is probably good.

I think once we figure out the depreciation on older games, maybe we consider setting the priority thing for replacing in to match one of those, game 2 or 3 or something. (Like if game 2 is worth .4 points, I mean). So it's a boost for sure, but still reflects that you did play in the game. I dunno. We did a lot of rounds on this the first time so I actually think if we start an OM thread to talk about priority issues, we hammer this out there. It's going to take time and testing and consideration.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
We discussed just making it zero, period ( think that was my initial push) - as in if you replace in, you don't gain any points and your priority remains the same. For someone like Gorlak who did get done dirty (koff I did him dirty) in GoT, this is ideal and I think exceptions could be made, but for anything else, we get back to the same thing as measuring reviews, aggression, etc. How do we measure the labor of replacing in? In some games, it's really easy; in others, it's not. So yeah, keeping one rule is probably good.

I think once we figure out the depreciation on older games, maybe we consider setting the priority thing for replacing in to match one of those, game 2 or 3 or something. (Like if game 2 is worth .4 points, I mean). So it's a boost for sure, but still reflects that you did play in the game. I dunno. We did a lot of rounds on this the first time so I actually think if we start an OM thread to talk about priority issues, we hammer this out there. It's going to take time and testing and consideration.

It could just be zero but at the same time I felt like I played a full game of HoH. So yeah I subbed in but it was still something for me.

That is why I think the Day 2 rule would be good. It is a clear line for both dying early and replacing.

An outer thread would be good to brain storm what the numbers should be and we don't completely derail the review thread over small details when there are important things to discuss in here.

OP
OP
Pedro

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that is what I meant.

I don't know if it needs to be taken further than that but it could be, like a negative number. I thought one of the main factors of the new system was to try and reduce or at least simplify the number of rules and variations for priority. Like maintaining a whole separate list of who replaced into what game is not ideal. Monkey's consolidated 5 sign up periods was supposed to make it fairer and simpler.

Ah, okay, I interpreted it the other way around.

It's hard to say at which point the amount of work necessary to sub in becomes too much; there are games with more posts on D1 than other games on D4, so "if you sub in after Day X, you get a further boost" is not something that can work for every case. I'd rather keep a simple rule that works well instead of something that starts to be subjective and requires manual oversight and discussion ("do we think this person had to put in a lot of effort to sub in or not?").

edit: but i'd be open to change the value of the boost overall as we continue to talk about this.

Last edited:

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I said it before, but taking a look at the descriptors for games would be nice.

My personal example was Brexit 2 was in the same grouping (Unusual) as Simon Says and Brazil's game.

Brexit 2 was fairly standard with a few novelty roles/twists on roles, the others were mechanically pretty different from an expected mafia setup.

There should be a dividing line between standard mafia mechanics and more radical designs. I'm looking for the former, and trying to avoid the latter mostly.