• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Officials just said that the stronger and healthier boys will be coming out first and are expected to come out in another 4 to 5 hours.

I know there's an obvious answer to this, at least I imagine there is, but I can't think of what it would be: Why do you bring out the healthy and strong ones first? Wouldn't you want to get those most in need of care out and to the hospital?

They did also say 'the most ready' so maybe it's more about that.
I believe none of the kids knew how to swim. They want to prepare the weakest kids the most and see if they can also build up their strength with better portions and more care once the others are out.

It's a matter of urgency vs delicacy.

Furthermore, the morale boost from seeing their friends escape successfully can help their condition.

There's also the fact that this is a very special operation. It's not proven, things are adjusted by the minute, and they want to have all the refinements they can for the most at risk individuals.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, thats a nightmare. Water, air, and claustrophobia

Those aren't the real nightmares. The nightmares are ripping the suit or equipment on something, or kicking up so much sediment visibility becomes naught, or knocking enough to cause a localised collapsed on top of you. I enjoy a spot of cave diving, but I'm not lining up to take it to that level.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why just one though... They're supposed to be coming out in groups of three or four. But hopefully that doesn't mean anything has gone wrong.
They're doing them in waves of 3 or 4 due to having to ressuply after each wave. They have to do the rescue 1 at a time though. After all, there's choke points where only 1 person can squeeze through, and they don't want to create a log jam or panic at stations along the way if something goes wrong with one of the kids.

Gulfwarvet

Oct 30, 2017
Bbc news again.

The expert divers involved in the rescue operation will be doing the majority of the work for the boys as they come out of the cave system, Peter Dennis, from the British Cave Rescue Council, told the BBC.

The boys would remain largely passive as they were guided through the cave system, he said.

"There's been a lot of comment on them needing to learn to dive before they could come out. Well, that isn't the case. They're just essentially being pulled through the water," he said.

"They have their full face mask and their air supply so they can breathe as normal. They have an air supply around their face over this much larger screened mask and that's been the key really to getting the four out successfully yesterday."

Mr Dennis also said he thought the boys would have been lightly sedated by a doctor who joined them in the chamber, to prevent them from panicking during the journey out.

Gulfwarvet

Oct 30, 2017
The first four boys rescued from the cave on Sunday are in hospital and reported to be in good health.

Their names have still not been released and officials say this is out of respect to the families of those who remain trapped.

They are being quarantined on the eighth floor of the hospital in Chiang Rai, to guard against possible infections. Doctors said they were considering allowing their parents to visit and see the boys through a glass partition.

The boys are in good health and asked for a popular fried rice dish on Monday, said the head of the rescue team, Narongsak Osottanakorn.

"The children complained that they were hungry and wanted holy basil stir-fried rice," he said.

Bbc again

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
You know gonig through these tight spaces is one horrible thing, but not being able to feel the tight spaces is another for me. Like they don't have the sensation of touch with all that gear on them. Gives me goosebumps.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Being the last one there gotta be scary as fuck

I'd say the contrary; they'll know everybody else will have made it out safely, and they won't be alone because divers with various professions (SEALs, Doctors etc.) have been with them ever since they've been found so he'll have people with him. It'll be a massive relief knowing everyone lived.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It is probably video from one of the test runs. It is hard to believe they would do a rescue like this without doing some "dry" runs with a professional diver as one of the boys. It was probably videoed to give the rest of the diving team some insight into how things are supposed to go

Apparently they even practiced with a real kid...

Irdk3l1.jpg

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first four boys rescued from the cave on Sunday are in hospital and reported to be in good health.

Their names have still not been released and officials say this is out of respect to the families of those who remain trapped.

They are being quarantined on the eighth floor of the hospital in Chiang Rai, to guard against possible infections. Doctors said they were considering allowing their parents to visit and see the boys through a glass partition.

The boys are in good health and asked for a popular fried rice dish on Monday, said the head of the rescue team, Narongsak Osottanakorn.

"The children complained that they were hungry and wanted holy basil stir-fried rice," he said.

Bbc again
I love me some thai holy basil stir fry. Sending my stir-fried thoughts their way!

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible that right have made it out. Hopefully the remaining boys get out alright. I'm surprised it's been so successful a rescue operation; it's really a testament to everyone who participated in the rescue.

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am no expert in Thai culture, but does honor/shame play a big role in it, like Japanese culture? I am just wondering what are the odds that the coach will refuse to be rescued?

I hope it is not an insensitive question

Gulfwarvet

Oct 30, 2017
I am no expert in Thai culture, but does honor/shame play a big role in it, like Japanese culture? I am just wondering what are the odds that the coach will refuse to be rescued?

Special classes and support for boys

Mae Sai Prasitsart School, where six of the trapped boys study, will prepare special classes for when they return, school director Kanet Pongsuwan said at a news conference on Monday.

He said the boys would be offered psychological support but would be treated "like any other students at school" to help them settle back in, Channel News Asia reported.

"We'll never make them feel guilty over what has happened. We'll not blame them for it," he said.

Bbc again, cant beat em.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This sentiment is odd to me. I don't give a shit if it's somehow about publicity, if it helps people escape a situation with their lives I am all for it.

Glad more made it out, hopefully, they can get the rest out soon.

It's not within the confines of this thread so I'll just bow out of this talking point, sorry

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sentiment is odd to me. I don't give a shit if it's somehow about publicity, if it helps people escape a situation with their lives I am all for it.

Glad more made it out, hopefully, they can get the rest out soon.

Yes, the trained rescue team is doing an excellent job. Fingers crossed that the rest of the boys and the coach are all brought to safety.

Rolfgang

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

I'm no expert on Thai culture either, but I know that the coach he will not leave until every kid is rescued, so he will go last. But I really doubt he would refuse to leave, he just wants to go last because he feels responsible for the kids. He was also the reason they survived so long, as he saved food and water out of his mouth to give the kids and learned them how to meditate, so they stayed calm in the situation.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert on Thai culture either, but I know that the coach he will not leave until every kid is rescued, so he will go last. But I really doubt he would refuse to leave, he just wants to go last because he feels responsible for the kids. He was also the reason they survived so long, as he saved food and water out of his mouth to give the kids and learned them how to meditate, so they stayed calm in the situation.

I thought the coach was already rescued because he was in poor health. Did this info change?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

He has no reason to feel shame, considering he kept everyone alive for 9 days. He didn't do anything wrong. And his decision to go further in the cave was smart, since none of the boys could swim.

Gulfwarvet

Oct 30, 2017
We have more details from a source within the rescue operation:

The other four people rescued today were all boys from the Wild Boars football team
This means that their 25-year-old coach remains inside the cave system
The four boys who came out today are cold, but otherwise in a good condition
Rescuers plan to bring out the remaining four boys and the coach on Tuesday

13.59 bbc news

Rolfgang

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I thought the coach was already rescued because he was in poor health. Did this info change?

The Guardian just updated their liveblog, where they state that CNN said the operation has been suspended for today and:

"If confirmed it would leave four boys and their coach Ekaphol Chantawong inside the cave."

So if that's true, yeah, he's still in the cave despite his poor health. He's probably adament to stay until all kids are out of the cave.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
As long as the weather stays nice and the boys are alright, I'd rather the rescuers to take things slow and steady. The last thing we need is a tired or sleepy diver.