• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're making Squadron 42, We Swear: Holiday Delayed Finished Edition

squadron-logo.png
Cloud Imperium Games wraps up it's year with a special showcase of the Squadron 42 single player, cinematic video game. The stream aired on 12/22/2017 at 12 PM PST and is now over.

Link to Youtube Video

5xlq6w.png

What could DID we see?
  • A gameplay reveal of Squadron 42, which was a full featured demo, over an hour long.
  • Developer interviews, a "how it's made" type of showcase.
  • Tanks... TONKS and ships showcase.
  • A push of Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 to wide scale PTU, everyone with a package can play 3.0 right now
  • A showcase of NPC-Player Interaction

2ptrbk.png

What should we NOT expect get?
  • The presentation being on time.
  • Dates.
  • Roleplaying
  • A livestream - it was all pre-recorded.
  • An injunction on the holiday special.

1rwr9a.png

Useful Links:

Official Squadron42 Website (Signup for the Monthly Newsletter for updates!)
Official Guild/Organization
Link to Twitch VOD (starts at Demo)

IGN: Official Teaser of Squadron 42

Youtube Video of Presentation

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I hope i get manage to be back home before it starts.
I expected almost nothing from IGN teaser, like something max 15-20 seconds and we got 1.5 minute, so maybe tomorrow show will be good.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
That teaser was pretty awesome. Loving the details in the armour and the general gruff emanating from the Old Man. Excited for that gameplay revel!

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FPS should be solid at least, since they don't have to worry about the server side stuff that's been bogging down the 3.0 PTU.

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here are the system requirements (source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42):

* Windows 7 (64bit) with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64bit), Windows 10 - Anniversary Update (64bit)
* DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 2GB RAM (4GB strongly recommended)
* Quad Core CPU
* 16GB+ RAM
* SSD strongly recommended

Portman

Nov 5, 2017
Glad to see they're going to talk about the single player finally. I was starting to give up hope since this is the main part that drew me to back it. I've got to take a look at the other part that came with Squadron 42 at some point too.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
About damn time. I'm more interested in Squadron 42 than anything else. Hopefully they deliver.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
You say that like they set a baseline graphics level and are sticking to that. They're been improving things over time as they go, the game in 2014 does not look like the tech they're working on.
Undoubtedly true, however as time wears on, even the improvements are losing some of their wow factor. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much excited for this SP campaign, but long developments cycles are rarely good for the final product. Even motion capture has advanced in the time since the first mocap scenes where put together.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
At last! SQ42 is a primary reason I became an early backer.

This first look at the polished game SP campaign content looks great. Can't wait to see more.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty excited, I backed the game as soon as the crowdfunding page went live (well, many hours after that to be exact because it was under extreme load) specifically for the Squadron 42 campaign. The rest of the game is just a bonus for me.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great looking thread Boss.
Will be tuning into the livestream tomorrow a bit more excited after this sneak peak.
Hamill looks like a great showcase of the tech they're working on. Really looking forward to see more characters and hopefully some good gameplay.

I hope we're finally agreeing to chat in Discuss during the stream and leave that poor Twitch Chat for what it is this year?

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Great looking thread Boss.
Will be tuning into the livestream tomorrow a bit more excited after this sneak peak.
Hamill looks like a great showcase of the tech they're working on. Really looking forward to see more characters and hopefully some good gameplay.

I hope we're finally agreeing to chat in Discuss during the stream and leave that poor Twitch Chat for what it is this year?
We already did that with Citizencon :)

Zabojnik

Oct 28, 2017
Ready for some of that Old Man Hamill tough love tomorrow. Hopefully we get to see at least one of the capital ships in action. I want to see them turrets overheating from all the pew-pew on screen.

bluemax

Oct 25, 2017
Squadron 42 is the part of this project I wanted, the rest I have no excitement for. For all their bumbling and what not I really hope that Squadron 42 is actually good.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I really should check out my kickstarter stuff and the Star Citizen site. I really haven't payed that much attention outside watching a few vids here and there over the years.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on that lawsuit? I put money into Star Citizen expressly for Squadron 42 and I'm kinda worried about it.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the sensor on his leg is supposed to represent. It looks like it says "25M Full", is that oxygen or ammo count? I bet you he is carrying an L86 on him. Probably gold too.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the sensor on his leg is supposed to represent. It looks like it says "25M Full", is that oxygen or ammo count? I bet you he is carrying an L86 on him. Probably gold too.
Pretty sure that's not an "M" but a "%" symbol. What's being displayed also rotates. It says different things at different points in the video.

Oct 29, 2017
This "dialogue in my mind of what I feel" being different from what I say would be such an excellent mechanic for comedy.

Thinking of Joe Abercrombie characters for instance.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping that we can silence the mental dialogue thing. It's distracting.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that's not an "M" but a "%" symbol. What's being displayed also rotates. It says different things at different points in the video.

Good Catch! Streamlined info for other soldiers to see? Since mobiglass is personal if you had to save an unconscious wingman that type of external display makes more sense.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Old/different suit for comparison from previous trailer
The last trailer actually did not have that suit specifically, but a recoloured version of the old light armour (think of the default armour in alpha 2.0/2.3 or so) but with the UEE helmet. That UEE flight suit for the Old Man glory shot was only finished after the old man trailer released and then reworked into its current state using the multilayer shader tech. So basically, this trailer just is the updated version of that suit with the new art work flow for characters.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I am amazed at the subtlety of the small shifts in expressions. Hamil's acting is extraordinary but the fact that we are now at a point where it can be translated into a game is incredibly cool. You did good, 3Lateral/F42 Derby :)

It's the eyes.

nrYPR4.gif

(sorry for the gif compression, couldn't find a better one)

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Mark Hamil model is so impressive looking, can't wait to see it in game.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Better version of Luke.

On a serious note, can't wait for this game.
This was gonna be my entry into the Star Citizen universe.
Was supposed to be like 3 years ago...

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I am amazed at the subtlety of the small shifts in expressions. Hamil's acting is extraordinary but the fact that we are now at a point where it can be translated into a game is incredibly cool. You did good, 3Lateral/F42 Derby :)

It's the eyes.

nrYPR4.gif

(sorry for the gif compression, couldn't find a better one)
Looks good.
Cannot wait to see more, it's been too long to have proper Wing Commanded like space opera.