• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They don't look normal, though. You are just seeing them as children with their faces blurred out. Many are adults and they don't look it at all to me.

180117-turpin-adult-children-annotated-mn-0850_20746c50cc7684dc0b9cd712de4116ae.nbcnews-fp-360-360.jpg

I am kinda dreading the details we are going to know.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/...lights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

Ok, that is fucking beyond horrifying.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
So there's a video of them renewing their weddding vows at the Elvis chapel and it is incredibly disturbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=848&v=w5Mw-AgH3jc

You can tell that the children were malnourished and abused for years. They don't look and behave like adults at all.

yeah this has been going on for a decade...longer...their entire lives. (?)

Very difficult to pick out the bunch of 20-something year old adults. I can't even blame the random people in attendance... without knowing the ages it is fairly easy to not look closely and just assume they are kids. If someone whispered to Elvis "hey that 'kid' over there is actually the same age as you" it would have been like lifting a curtain

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The only thing the children were permitted to do was to write in journals — the authorities found hundreds of them in the home.

Psychological analysis of these journals should reveal how messed up these kids are. The horror stories will keep on coming.

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing is so horrible, and scary. I feel so bad for all the people who were held captive by these monsters. For whatever reason this one is really getting me too. I've cried multiple times today reading about this.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Essentially a blurb about and link to this news story. The family dogs were cared for better than the children

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/us/turpin-family-dogs/index.html

It's heart-breaking. This is what they say about the lovely little doggies who played no part in the torture:

The dogs will get a new home on February 5 when the winners of a raffle, open to locals only, are announced.
City residents will need to apply in the next week and be prepared to have their homes checked out.

I wish it were so easy to make things better for the children of that nightmare family.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
20/20 is on right now in Eastern time. The story is about this.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
I wish the punishment these sick fucks received would be to personally relive the hell their children went through.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't it be great if the very idea of punishment were to dissolve, as we all realise how harmful it is, and how petty its purported gains? Love your children, cherish them. Never hurt them.

Yeah it'd be great if evil like this didn't exist, but that's not an actual reality that can ever be reached.

Edit: I might have misunderstood you and you meant punishment (of children), in which case I totally agree.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Wouldn't it be great if the very idea of punishment were to dissolve, as we all realise how harmful it is, and how petty its purported gains? Love your children, cherish them. Never hurt them.

Yeah it'd be great if evil like this didn't exist, but that's not an actual reality that can ever be reached.

I'm not talking about some unattainable goal, but an everyday reality. Hug your children close, make sure they feel loved. Never even think of threatening your children.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is sooooo fucked up!!!! I am hoping the mother and father gets sentenced to jail for a very very very long time. When I first saw the WaPo notification earlier this week about the report of a teen escaping from a home in California after being imprisoned in the home for years, I literally went "What THE fuck?!?!?!" and when I tapped the notification and read the WaPo article it literally made me angry and sickened that a mother and father would keep 13 of their kids imprisoned in their home. Now reading through this thread and seeing the updates regarding this, I am so pissed off that parents would mistreat their own children and treat the family pets better than their own children.

I'm hoping these 13 people can be psychologically treated so they could live a normal life away from these fucked up parents.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I believe that you can tell a lot about a person from their eyes. And the parents' are strikingly unpleasant.

I guess I don't know much about law, but this stands out to me:
NBC Los Angeles has reached out to the Turpins' attorney for comment.
Like... who would willingly defend them? There's seemingly no ambiguity here for the atrocities they committed and the numerous lives they impacted. Just seems strange to me. But I guess money's a thing.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I think the youngest in the family will be alright, but I fear for the teenagers and the young adults.

Goddamnit, this story pisses me off more and more every time I think about it

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
I believe that you can tell a lot about a person from their eyes. And the parents' are strikingly unpleasant.

I guess I don't know much about law, but this stands out to me:

Like... who would willingly defend them? There's seemingly no ambiguity here for the atrocities they committed and the numerous lives they impacted. Just seems strange to me. But I guess money's a thing.

They're entitled to due process and a trial, regardless of public opinion.

Oct 30, 2017
There's been a lot of severely fucked up stories the past few years, but this one beats them all.

No words. I can't even wrap my mind around any aspect of this, even the logistics of it all. I mean, 13? How the fuck.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With a lot of those kidnapping cases you're able to at least see a motive behind it, as terrible as it may be. With this case it's their own fucking children and the motive is uhhh, they like torturing and controlling them? I can't wrap my head around it. It just seems like pure evil.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
As another human being seeing the suffering that these kids endured, I'm completely devastated. I think it goes without saying that this is one of the most fucked up stories we've read in the recent years, maybe in our entire lives. It truly seems like a horror film, and there's a big part of me that want to say that the parents should go to jail and for life, but with that said, I'm a lawyer here in Brazil and the lawyer in me thinks this is clearly a case of two completely mentally ill people commiting atrocities against their own children. I don't believe in pure evil, and I'm not sure how things are handled in the US or California, but if this happened here, here's what would probably happen:

Their aunt and uncle would probably pledge for guardianship of their nieces, nephews and their mother, based on that they are all mentally ill. A close and sane relative of the parent would take guardianship of the father, for the same reason. Why? There's a legal and pratical reason that I'm not sure it can be applied in the US. These two will waste all their savings in a trial trying to prove "not to be crazy" and that "their behavior was completely normal". That goes against basic common sense. Here a temporary relief would easily be ruled in that direction, and from there, their aunts and uncles would be not only the legal guardians of the kids, but would be also responsible for the parents legal defense, and the obvious course of action is to plead not guilty by reason of insanity, for both of them. That way we wouldn't waste time in an expensive case that would probably take away all the potential savings that the two nutcases probably still have and they'd be basically be sentenced for a life in involuntary confinement in a state psychiatric hospital, and the kids would have a shot of a normal upbringing/recovery next to their close relatives.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a lawyer here in Brazil and the lawyer in me thinks this is clearly a case of two completely mentally ill people commiting atrocities against their own children.

What are the chances of two "legally insane" people getting married like this though? Not only that but they are only being charged for crimes of the past 8 year I believe. So what would suddenly turn them "insane" during the last 8 years of raising their children? That's probably the plea they are going for but I feel like they knew what they were doing was wrong. Look at the examples of them bringing their children out on trips and acting completely normal. They were making a clear effort to hide this. They knew this was wrong. They even unchained 2 of the children as the cops showed up at the house because they knew it would look bad.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the youngest in the family will be alright, but I fear for the teenagers and the young adults.

Goddamnit, this story pisses me off more and more every time I think about it

Yeah, The younger ones might have more time to adjust. The older ones though they've been living their entire lives like that and are nearly 30..... I don't know how you re-adjust your life after that and become a functional adult.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
What are the chances of two "legally insane" people getting married like this though? Not only that but they are only being charged for crimes of the past 8 year I believe. So what would suddenly turn them "insane" during the last 8 years of raising their children? That's probably the plea they are going for but I feel like they knew what they were doing was wrong. Look at the examples of them bringing their children out on trips and acting completely normal. They were making a clear effort to hide this.

People can get crazy together. I don't know the scientific term for this, but there's one. This isn't "normal" behavior, and wasting their savings in a trial seems like an waste to me. The best course of action if possible would be - at least here in Brazil - to become their legal guardians and plead not guilty by insanity, which would result in a quick case of them going to a mental instituition. Whatever savings they have would go for a fund for their daughters and sons. I'm no psychologist, but crazy people can often try to "hide" their manias/obsessions. I don't know, I'm just saying that wasting money on a trial (since whatever they still have should go to a fund for their "children") seems like an waste of time to me. If there was a way for a relative to become their legal guardian and go for a deal with the D.A. for them to rot in a mental institution, that would be the best course of action imho.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can get crazy together. I don't know the scientific term for this, but there's one. This isn't "normal" behavior, and wasting their savings in a trial seems like an waste to me. The best course of action if possible would be - at least here in Brazil - to become their legal guardians and plead not guilty by insanity, which would result in a quick case of them going to a mental instituition. Whatever savings they have would go for a fund for their daughters and sons. I'm no psychologist, but crazy people can often try to "hide" their manias/obsessions. I don't know, I'm just saying that wasting money on a trial (since whatever they still have should go to a fund for their "children") seems like an waste of time to me. If there was a way for a relative to become their legal guardian and go for a deal with the D.A. for them to rot in a mental institution, that would be the best course of action imho.

I get what you're saying but judging by what is required to get an insanity plea, I don't think they'll get it. Especially considering the duration of which these crimes were carried out.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/insanity-defense.html

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I get what you're saying but judging by what is required to get an insanity plea, I don't think they'll get it. Especially considering the duration of which these crimes were carried out.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/insanity-defense.html

Yeah, like I've said, I have no clue how it works in the US, but I feel like allowing these two lunatics to waste all their savings defending themselves of the indefensable seems to me like an waste, hence why I feel like regardless how fucked up our criminal system here is, things would be solved swiftly here and with more protection to the kids that I feel like it'll be in the US.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a video of them renewing their weddding vows at the Elvis chapel and it is incredibly disturbing

You can tell that the children were malnourished and abused for years. They don't look and behave like adults at all.

Good god, the look of disgust on both parent's faces when Elvis asks the kids to come on stage...absolute evil. Its for people like these that I wish hell does exist.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017

I'm surprised the video has only 45k views. Still way above the usual 80-400 the other vids have but way below the 170k the 2011 video has (without the kids).
I hope the Elvis dude doesn't experience any negative impact on his business just by association with this family. I find him quite charming.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I work in an extreme trauma residential treatment center for teenage girls. I've seen a lot of terrible shit. What I've mentioned has only scratched the surface. Some people treat children worse than their animals.

There it is.
I'm hoping these 13 people can be psychologically treated so they could live a normal life away from these fucked up parents.

:(

Hopefully the children can become fully functional people in the society and can lead a happy life in the future.
I'm not expecting miracles. The damage is done many times already.

Last edited: