In your opinion, is 13 Sentinels a visual novel?

• Yes, I think it aligns closely enough with the genre's prominent traits to be considered one.

Votes: 346 57.6%
  • No, it's more of an adventure game with an emphasis on dialog/storytelling.

Votes: 170 28.3%
  • Mostly, but the RTS/tower defense sections disqualify it from being a true visual novel.

Votes: 85 14.1%

• Total voters

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Until now I'd never even heard of the Visual Novel Database site, but it recently came to my attention upon learning that the site had removed 13 Sentinels from its database. Apparently the powers that be on VNDB decided that 13 Sentinels possesses qualities that they feel disqualifies it from being counted as a "visual novel," which is admittedly a pretty damn loose categorization. You can see some discussion regarding the game's removal from the site at the link below:

I've always been interested in semantic debates about whether a game belongs in this or that genre/subgenre, so I figured I'd extend the discussion over to ResetERA given that the game was voted as the sixth-best game of last year and often scares people off with its visual novel label.

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim-Screenshot-177.jpg

Personally, I think the fact that 13 Sentinels defies traditional categorization is one of its many strengths as a singular work unlike anything else I've played before. I'll cast my vote and explain my reasoning a bit further into the thread so my opinion in the OP doesn't unduly influence anything.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
THREAD TITLE QUESTION AND POLL DONT MATCH ARGHHH

sorry
You mean I didn't use the exact same wording between the thread title and the poll title? Otherwise the question is essentially the same.

EDIT: Ooooh. I see what you mean. From a yes/no response perspective the thread title and poll are inverted. My bad.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I guess if it is not a visual novel according to them, then I guess walking and talking adventure that has a battle simulation mini game seems the most apt.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
You mean I didn't use the exact same wording between the thread title and the poll title? Otherwise the question is essentially the same.

If I read the thread title, and respond to the poll based on the thread title, I'd be answering the question wrong.

Not a big deal! Anyway, the game is a VN. We don't need such rigid genre conventions. The RTS fights are no different from 999/VLRs puzzles.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Not true. Your title asks if we agree with the removal of the game, so obviously (as I don't agree) I would select 'no' in the poll. Only to see that 'no' in your poll means something completely different because the question in your poll is if the game is a visual novel or not. Which are two different questions.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
I mean the site still lists Sakura Wars games which have SRPG gameplay soooo

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ehh. I'd rather INCLUDE "similar" games than exclude them. I agree it's not a very traditional VN style game, but eh.
Given how you can set the SRPG parts to "piss easy" difficulty I'd consider that like taking the gameplay part outta the equation.
(I really don't expect people to agree with my takes, I know I'm the odd duck; I just hate super strict labeling).

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Not true. Your title asks if we agree with the removal of the game, so obviously (as I don't agree) I would select 'no' in the poll. Only to see that 'no' in your poll means something completely different because the question in your poll is if the game is a visual novel or not. Which are two different questions.
In an alternate timeline the OP created a correct poll question.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually think it is a visual novel, but I think there is enough crossover that it could be argued to be one. At the end of the day, it does everything a good visual novel does, it just has other components as well.

A while back I saw someone argue that the VN component of 13 Sentinels is more like an adventure game, and I think that is a pretty spot-on assessment.

Nov 29, 2018
It never felt very novel-ish to me outside of the codex entries. I might be remembering wrong, but there's no real narration, right? It's pretty much all dialogue.

Oct 27, 2017
I get why people consider it a visual novel. The structure shares a lot with it. The game might require you to play different segments again but with different choices (though not as deep as a VN) and the characters feel a lot like different routes in VN.

But it is not. It is closer to Monkey Island than VN games. There are many moments in the game where you have to walk around and interact with the world. It is just not a continuous adventure but chapter based.

Then we got the gameplay which further removes it from being a VN (yes I know many VN games do have combat but this game has actual gameplay like a Point and click game).

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
It's an adventure game with combat sections. Something like Utawarerumono is a VN+SRPG

video game genres are arbitrary regardless so it's not really a big deal. Everything is made up

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
It's closer to a traditional adventure game / point & click than a graphic novel (ignoring the combat).

But idk where that places games like Danganronpa or Hotel Dusk which people consider VN.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the site in question has their own specific definitions for what constitutes a visual novel, and they're hashing out what those definitions are intended to cover and whether they're correct. Why are we bringing their drama here? Call 13 Sentinels whatever you want, we're not the VN police.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I get the conflict but if they're considering Persona 4 Arena and Dancing as VNs, then 13 Sentinels should count too.

Unless they specifically want to see anime portraits talking to each other.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the site in question has their own specific definitions for what constitutes a visual novel, and they're hashing out what those definitions are intended to cover and whether they're correct. Why are we bringing their drama here? Call 13 Sentinels whatever you want, we're not the VN police.
I was using the game's removal from that site as a springboard for the overarching discussion of whether or not 13S is a visual novel. It's something that comes up a lot when people cite their reasons for passing on the game because they don't like VN's.

For what it's worth, I also don't like VN's, but I love 13S. I voted for the second option because IMO it has more in common with adventure games than visual novels.

Oct 25, 2017
It belongs on a list of games that people who enjoy Visual Novels should try out/games with VN-inspired aspects, but I wouldn't classify the game itself as a VN and if I wanted a 'real' VN experience Sentinels would have frustrated me. I lean towards adventure game with combat sections.

That's separate from the VNDB issue, though, since as noted that site seems to have a ton of things classified as VNs that aren't even remotely traditional VNs. 13 Sentinels probably does belong there, as there's clearly some shared DNA there and it's closer than some of the stuff still on the site.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
The game has more in common with point-and-click adventure games than visual novels. 13 Sentinels just replaces various items that usually advances the story in the genre with various phases.

Oct 27, 2017
There is a section that explains some stuff in depth. Things ranging from energy drinks and food to entire events and characters.

The game has three structures, adventures and combat and the "wiki" when you beat the tutorial.

Wiki isn't required to be played but is there to help piece things together if you are still lost.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
VNDB deleted the entry because it was threatening to disrupt the top 50. If they ever gave a shit about that, they would have deleted Ace Attorney too.

Not to mention that Melty Blood (a fighting game) is classified as a VN. Persona 4 Arena is also a VN

vndb.org

Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena

A fighting game spin-off to both Persona 3 and Persona 4, set immediately after Persona 4, featuring characters from both games. The story starts 2 months after the events of Persona 4 and roughly 2 years after Persona 3 FES' The Answer. At the start of Golden Week, Narukami Yui returns to...

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
This is as VN as it comes...
The storyline is pretty damn linear, they just give the user the choice to experience parts in a different order.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The "adventure" aspect is mostly a facade - there are very few segments where you're actually exploring anything or trying to trigger different outcomes. 99% of the time you're just linearly clicking on your thought cloud or navigating to the next interaction.

I think the VN genre needs to be broad enough to include VN's that allow you to move back and forth on the screen to progress the text.

What 13 Sentinels does that makes it a hybrid game is the RTS half of it, but I don't think that should make it -not- a VN in the same way including a card game shouldn't make FF8 -not- a JRPG.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If Ace Attorney/Danganronpa is considered a VN in the Database so is 13 Sentinels IMO.

I don't think the criteria for a VN should be voided if something goes outside the norm. The DNA is still fully there.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Sounds like a bunch of geeks getting a power trip on a bum website no one gives a shit about.

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the RTS parts should remotely disqualify it from being a visual novel, as several famous visual novels come with non-novel gameplay segments, including RPG battles and turn-based strategy. But I do feel the game's core genre is closer to "adventure game" (ala King's Quest and Sam & Max) due to you wandering around and giving "items" (conversation flags) to various characters to progress.

But if Dangan Ronpa is on there (and it seems to be) then 13 Sentinels should stay. Or they should all be removed together.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
i've never actually played it so only know very vaguely what it's like but I don't see why it wouldn't belong there when stuff like the Phoenix Wright games are on there

there's also stuff like the 999 series,the Utawarerumono series, the Danganronpa series etc on there

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
*shrug* Okay I guess, but is it that much different from something like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape, which are also not really pure VNs?

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
If VNDB only tracked "classic" visual novels, I'd be inclined to agree with 13 Sentinels' removal from their database. Considering they have games like Blazblue there though...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Vndb has plenty of games that have more traditional gameplay connected to their visual novel elements.

That said considering vndb considers last window a visual novel

vndb.org

Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku

It is the sequel to Hotel Dusk: Room 215, starring protagonist Kyle Hyde and being placed one year after the events of its predecessor. The game has visual and audio styles similar to the first game's. In this game, Kyle Hyde finds himself in the Cape West Apartments, Los Angeles, in 1980. The...

And ace attorney

vndb.org

Gyakuten Saiban

The game takes place in an urban city set in 2016 and later; for the Japanese versions, this city is somewhere in Japan, while the English localization places the games in Los Angeles, California. The fictional future justice system is such that when a person is accused of a crime, they are...

And famicom detective club

vndb.org

Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Koukeisha

The story begins with a man named "Amachi" discovering the fallen protagonist on the ground near a cliff. The protagonist discovers that he has lost his memory, and after recuperating, he revisits the cliff and meets a young girl named Ayumi Tachibana. He learns from Ayumi that he is an...

This is just some haterade by an admin there as all of those should be disallowed if 13 sentinels is disallowed.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the adventure elements are pretty light, it's really mostly about reading, so I'd consider it a VN.

The battle elements are significant but since it's kind of structured as a separate mode it doesn't make it feel less like a VN in my opinion. If the game were structured in a linear fashion where you alternate between story and battle, then it'd be pretty much like a regular SRPG, like Fire Emblem or something. But instead it feels like the game has two distinct modes: VN mode and battle mode.

Overall I'd agree that it kind of defies traditional categorization. Really it's just kind of its own thing.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's more like an interactive VN meets tower defense strategy game. I noticed all the Danganronpa games on there. Dv3 is like an interactive VN meets strategy board game. If that can stay, 13 Sentinels should.