• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

July 18th, 12:00 PM JST

Also a livestream with guests (VAs) at 20:00 JST.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I know what we've seen is what we get but I'm still secretly hoping for some crazy mech segments or something.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
You gave the demo a shot right? How was it?
Really really good. I posted about it in the previous threads. It basically surpassed my expectations and removed all my fears that being an ADV would make it less interesting or lack engagement in "gameplay". My only concern now is that the game will not actually come out. Haha. Hopefully they put that to rest in 30 mins.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Here are some impressions from the demo OT:
10 characters done. It's actually pretty meaty when you put everything together so I almost get why it's not given for free (almost).
I may be completely wrong but I think the reason why the save will not be transferable is because the beginning may play out differently, by that I mean it's possible the demo has been edited to be kind of a long, playable trailer, with a bit more of what the game has to offer story-wise and more cliffhangers than what the actual game will show at the beginning.
To be honest, there's so much going on that it becomes a little confusing, especially with the time travel and non-chronological depiction of events. There's also the fact that Kamitani and/or whoever was in charge of the story read and watched a lot of SF material and decided to put as much of it as possible in the game, from The War of the Worlds to E.T. to Godzilla to Macross to Evangelion to M.I.B to Steins;gate to you name it. And it actually works as far as I'm concerned, in a Xenogears way, but if the whole game is like that from beginning to end I think I'll need to take notes while playing, lol.
That said, I like it a lot and think the full game has the potential to be something special if they don't botch the execution.
I finished it earlier today. Took me about 4 hours because I did stop and repeat/review some dialogues to catch more details. It's a really dense story demo, and honestly, rather than a game demo, this feels more like an extended interactive trailer. What's most interesting about the way the narrative is laid out, is how layered it is. There's a really good reason why character prologues unlock as you clear batches rather than having all 13 available to pick at once. None of the character prespectives, their backgrounds, and the individual stakes they have in their POV stories, are stand alone so to speak. Everything builds on something else, and the prologues of the later characters who unlock won't make sense without the context from seeing the characters appear previously in earlier prologues.

The relationships between characters, who they really are, where they come from, and what they want, forms a big part of the overaching mystery presented in the prologue package. Originally I expected a game set in the 80s where aliens invade and a bunch of students have to fight back in mechs, and each character story just being a different perspective of this theme to show different types of people facing the situation. What I actually got from this prologue is something else entirely - a multi-generational story spanning several centuries from WW2 Japan all the way to the far future, with characters hopping through time and dimensions, facing time loops, nanomachines allowing memory transfers, criminals using time travel for sabotage, secret Imperial Japanese army experiments, consciousness moving between different bodies, a talking cat from another world, idols talking through telepathy through TVs, etc.

Nothing is what it seems from the surface, no one is exactly who we think they are (or sometimes who they think they are), and every revelation to a mystery adds another layer of complexity to what seems to be "going on". I think releasing the prologue to give people a first hand taste of what the game really is was a fantastic idea. Selling it as a product is probably not a great idea but Atlus gonna Atlus. The experience I got from this prologue isn't something that is easily communicated through a trailer or preview on a site/magazine. They can try to show how "epic" the scope of the story is, but actually seeing the layers peel one by one, character by character, in a 3-4 hour prologue is a whole other experience. Each character prologue adds a new feeling of "wow, they're doing -that- too?!" and each and every of the 13 characters featured are unique, distinctive, and memorable in their own ways. I liked some way more than others, but there was something totally different about each one of them and the prologue does a perfect job of making me want to see more of each story and how they all tie together.
Finished it today too. A little over 3 hours but I'm tempted to replay some chapters to have a better understanding of the big picture.
When you think you've seen all the plot devices the game uses, it still achieves to surprise until the end.
The demo perfectly accomplished its goal as I feel attached to every character and can't wait to see the whole story. I buy only a couple of new releases per year but this one is going to be a day 1 for me I think. It's a shame Atlus is keeping it from reaching the most people possible. They'll probably lose some potential sales with this move.
Started playing today and finished 8 characters in about 2h. It's as gorgeous as you'd expect from a Vanillaware game and they really nailed the dreamlike presentation first shown in that TGS trailer ages ago. The story instantly hooked me. Each of the short chapters has felt essential so far and they really included a lot of Sci-Fi ideas in a short amount of time
(time travel, mechs, alternate history, secret government organizations and men in black, nods to ET, War of the Worlds, etc.).

I wasn't sure what to expect from 13 Sentinels and I'm still not 100% convinced that there won't be any additional gameplay elements in the proper game, but I wouldn't mind a full game that played like this prologue demo. It's a modern, faster-paced take on the Visual Novel genre with an intriguing story, interesting characters and a killer atmosphere. Can't wait for the full game now!

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was: Are they going to announce the release of the full game?

My second thought was to remember Square Enix and think: Wait are they actually going to announce cancelling the game??

But bringing VAs on means it's probably going to be a positive stream ^_^ So I'll expect good news!

OP
OP
Xenosaga

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
release date:
D_ufVzoUYAAjyEb.jpg:orig

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

The game is fully unveiled now. 3 components to the game - battles, adventure (the bulk of the game), and digital archives. The digital archives act as a database for objects/terms/etc as you uncover them throughout the game.

It's super pricey tho - 8980yen for the regular game, and 14980yen for the LE (special box, 132 secret file artbook, papercraft mecha model, original theme and avatar).

All first press releases will come with a digital artbook as well.

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
The music of all the trailers so far have been godlike. Hitoshi Sakimoto (sound director) and Basiscape are killing it, as usual.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
They can release day and date with JP version as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't delay it for dubs, all I need are subtitles, loved what I heard voice wise.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
They can release day and date with JP version as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't delay it for dubs, all I need are subtitles, loved what I heard voice wise.
Considering the price they are selling it in Japan, if the western release is a regular 60 dollars, I expect Atlus to be irrationally worried about reverse import.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If this game doesn't have English voices, I'm out. Would they even be able to sub everything that's said in spoken voice?

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I want this game so bad. Sooooo bad. I am so scared its not going to get localized.

Edit: Also looks like OPs 1st video isnt working?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any video for the gameplay? duckroll's positive review for the prologue sold me on the game, hopefully it's simultaneous release in the west (lol atlus)

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
WAIR! THERE IS COMBAT!!! WTH!? I tought people said thay the demo didnt have any and the game was a pure VN
The demo didn't have any combat, but we've always known that there would be some sort of sim-style overhead combat from the early trailers though. It's just not expected to be a huge chunk of the game.

This one looks really story heavy? How's the combat like? Is it kinda like DC?
It's an adventure game where you walk around talking to people and using conversation and object interaction "puzzles" to progress in the story. It's nothing like DC.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
There is no combat.

Is basically a VN iirc

WAIR! THERE IS COMBAT!!! WTH!? I tought people said thay the demo didnt have any and the game was a pure VN
The demo didn't have any combat, but we've always known that there would be some sort of sim-style overhead combat from the early trailers though. It's just not expected to be a huge chunk of the game.

It's an adventure game where you walk around talking to people and using conversation and object interaction "puzzles" to progress in the story. It's nothing like DC.
Hmmm looks like they're going for something more ambitious than usual...Looking forward to impressions and hopefully localisation news . Love the art as always.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's been so long since the localization was announced that i wouldn't mind further confirmation now that the game has a release date in Japan, just for peace of mind.