• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I am in. A sucker for tech in games, specifically the switch. Thanks for the thread!

BoTalksGames

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Great thread. I'm not a tech buff or anything but it's cool to have all this information in one place.

EDIT: Maybe hide each game in quotes to make it take less space? So that we have to click expand to see it all.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bummer that all the games can't be 1080p in docked mode, but you've got to make compromises somewhere with such a mobile architecture. Needless to say, Nintendo absolutely nails the art style of their games, so they look beautiful either way.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Toni. Glad you got in.

ARMS is probably Nintendo's nicest looking game from the tech side. Great designs, lighting, character models, performance, and IQ.
Especially nice looking on Master Mummy's stage

I gotta be in on this just purely for the novelties that Switch has. Its hybrid nature layers a bridge between full fledged console SKU's and mobile hardware.
With that in mind, cant wait to see all the Bethsoft titles, Away - Journey to the Unexpected, and Payday 2 to be featured in here. They all make up for great comparisons, i feel.

Oct 25, 2017
Toni, mind looking into a few games made by 3rd parties:
RiME, Doom, Sonic, Pokken, and Rocket League all seem to run at the same resolution docked and undocked.
Was wondering if we could discuss and speculate why that is.
Mario gets a resolution bump while increasing graphical quality. Not sure if it's just that they didn't bother optimizing for docked due to not having enough time or incentive

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this topic originally, will keep an eye on it here!

Edit: about Flip Wars, I'm pretty sure it's running with the following:

Resolution: 1920*1080 / 1280*720
Framerate: 60fps
HD Rumble: No
IR Camera: No

But unfortunately, no one else seems to play this game, so no one else can confirm it.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Toni, mind looking into a few games made by 3rd parties:
RiME, Doom, Sonic, Pokken, and Rocket League all seem to run at the same resolution docked and undocked.
Was wondering if we could discuss and speculate why that is.
Mario gets a resolution bump while increasing graphical quality. Not sure if it's just that they didn't bother optimizing for docked due to not having enough time or incentive

Sonic Forces bumps up the post effects work significantly in docked mode compared to handheld mode.

Oh, and I heard Rabbids uses HD Rumble.

Cornetto

Oct 26, 2017
Is pretty interesting to see the lot of Switch games run at sub native resolution in handled mode, but still they look pretty awesome. Really looking forward to see Odyssey tomorrow.
Wonder if with the next wave of games the resolution will go up in handled mode as developers start to master all the tricks of the console.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure this is the right thread for this. But is there any differences between the different coloured Switches? Revisions or fixes that sort of stuff.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, the main body is exactly the same. Joy-Con might be different, I think later models don't have interference issues anymore.

Alright thanks. Trying to decide if I should go with the red Mario bundle or just buy the plain Switch and buying Mario seperately, which is cheaper for me.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow forgot to add Monlith Soft, thanks! Also, about that first party studios thread, if he doesn't jump ship I'd be up to move it here.

I don't have the game so I can't tell you but I've heard that early on it's really stable.

A new thread only for it could be great. This thread here I think that it's better to remain exclusive to this.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
They really need to add fxaa to some of their first party games.
Agreed some AA would be nice, especially in MK8D, but it needs to be carefully implemented. I'm loving how crisp some of these games look, especially on handheld and wouldn't like to sacrifice too much clarity.

Gotta commend Nintendo for their ability to keep first party games under 16GB. While in some cases like Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 it means leaving out other languages as DLC it's an acceptable sacrifice. Especially when comparing Xenoblade 2 to Xenoblade X, the difference is pretty huge.

This is very true, with some game companies churning out 40/50/60GB+ games these days I'm impressed. Then again, I guess they have to set an example to others having chosen to go the cartridge route.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe Xenoblade is using the same temporal resolution as Mario in order to hit a stable 30fps. the game does have more dynamic lights than X so a system that a bit more powerful (undocked) than the wii u might struggle at times to keep stable. wouldnt be surprised to see more nintendo games doing this going forward

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What about third party tech thread.?
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
BrasĂ­lia
Good idea.
Mario Odsey uses a proprietary engine, right? Anyone know if it is a new engine or other that Nintendo uses?

I'm starting to play it and I'm in that Mexican world right now. The problem is, at least for me, that game is less impressive than Mario Galaxy (don't count the HD part)

I can't believe both those game use the same engine... Or art director.

energon

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the thread with a bit more info. If you guys are still interested in the prospect of such a thread, let me know! I could also include major third party releases and ask a mod to change the title.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo published Skyrim and Doom, at least in North America. Might be interesting to look into them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Nintendo published Skyrim and Doom, at least in North America. Might be interesting to look into them.
Nintendo lists Bethesda as the publisher for both, but Nintendo might be distributing the game

I dont think games that are available on other consoles should count. if we do third party games, then they should be exclusives like Mario and Rabbids

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
maybe Xenoblade is using the same temporal resolution as Mario in order to hit a stable 30fps. the game does have more dynamic lights than X so a system that a bit more powerful (undocked) than the wii u might struggle at times to keep stable. wouldnt be surprised to see more nintendo games doing this going forward
I love XC2, and found myself getting over its visual shortcomings easily. I consider it a good looking game despite the low resolution.

This is a general question for the thread. If XCX comes to the Switch, would you prefer it kept the same tech as the WiiU version, and attempted a resolution boost to say, 900p docked, or would you like them to use the lighting tech in XC2 and have similar performance to that game?

I went back to XCX recently and it looks less impressive than I remembered. As a result, I would prefer the latter, and have cool XC2-style dynamic lighting in exchange for the resolution.

Oct 27, 2017
LA Noire seems to be exhibiting the streaming-asset slowdown that XC2 does here and there. If you quit to the main menu and reload your save repeatedly, performance will worsen until you quit and restart the game. Otherwise it works ok - all the warts of the driving and shooting mechanics are preserved, so it's a faithful port. Handheld is fine, and touchscreen works well if you want to use it that way. Docked, I disabled motion controls.

Skyrim looks great handheld.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love XC2, and found myself getting over its visual shortcomings easily. I consider it a good looking game despite the low resolution.

This is a general question for the thread. If XCX comes to the Switch, would you prefer it kept the same tech as the WiiU version, and attempted a resolution boost to say, 900p docked, or would you like them to use the lighting tech in XC2 and have similar performance to that game?

I went back to XCX recently and it looks less impressive than I remembered. As a result, I would prefer the latter, and have cool XC2-style dynamic lighting in exchange for the resolution.
XCX wasnt made with a physically based renderer in mind. they could upgrade it to their new engine, but they'd have to reauthor all the textures to really take advantage of it. as for lighting, they'd have to relight everything. lighting is time consuming and, thus, is done concurrently with the actual building of the level. it's probably not worth redoing so much for a game that sells as much as Xenoblade does. and if Donkey Kong didnt get any enhancements, Xenoblade sure as hell wouldnt other than 1080p dock resolution and better frame stability

d8c643abcc2678a7bc9a6e6e1cfebbed.png

Did some pixel counting and looks like Mario Tennis Aces is native 1080p going off by the press screenshots. I'm looking at the other games right now too.

Edit:

d3502f50f27edfb4c57e25eff9b15418.png

DK too.

15736408791ca4b08aed1698a55154e3.png

Kirby also. Not the best screenshot but I wouldn't doubt otherwise.

9b970a33fcd95f6e29b23b0c3025fa0b.png

And Hyrule Warriors, as they announced on-stream.
most curious is the decision for Kirby to be 30fps. weird. I guess they wanted to push visuals above framerate?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I recently bought Doom for the switch having owned it for PS4 and was super impressed how that game looks and runs on the device. Like mind blown really. The MP is a bit blurrier than the SP. But the campaign is really very good on it. I'm playing handheld. I also don't notice the 30FPS in the game. Really feels very smooth and as responsive as it did on PS4 for me. Which is unusual.