• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I suppose this is a bit of a LTTP thread given the film originally came out at the end of 2016..

I watched it with my girlfriend last night and I just wanted to share my appreciation, and moreso - offer it as a recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen it. It honestly feels like one of those special, powerful documentaries that every human being should watch. I feel bad for having not watched it until now, and I can't help but wonder: if it had hit every eyeball earlier in 2016, would we be living in a different reality today?

https://www.netflix.com/title/80091741
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5895028/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/13th/

It's a beautifully crafted movie, drawing out a logical timeline of cultural reform and national shame, and it exposes one shocking truth or statistic after another. The opening quote: the United States has 5% of the World's population, but 25% of the World's prisoners - sets the tone, and from there its just a succinct and perfectly articulated argument that the 13th amendment didn't end slavery and racial oppression, it just forced that oppression to transform. It renders in to human terms, people we have been conditioned to forget - the moment they are locked away. It highlights the injustice of plea bargains and people spending years behind bars without trial.

Anyone who thinks that private profit and the prison system are a good match? Watch this movie. Anyone who thinks private money and the immigration system are a good match? Watch this movie. If you know anyone who actively moans about the Black Lives Matter movement, or who utters things like "All Lives Matter" or "Blue Lives Matter"? Get them to sit down, shut up for 100 minutes, watch this film and challenge themselves on everything that they believe. Anyone who believes the United States of America to be the Land of the Free, sit down, watch for 100 minutes - and challenge that belief. Anyone who thinks that racial division is a recently or newly fomented and exacerbated issue? Sit down, watch for 100 short minutes of your life and challenge that belief. You don't have to sit in total agreement with the documentary, but by God, I honestly think it would do your inner heart and soul some good. It's a masterpiece - surely up there with the best political activist documentaries..

I recently watched Time: the Kalief Browder story and that was pretty good (although also sad) - but yeah - if you haven't seen this and the subject matter is of interest, get that fixed ASAP!

Oct 27, 2017
If it's anytging like the thread st the other place this thread will see little traffic. I've wanted to see this but don't have Netflix anymore.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this at release, very powerful and a must watch documentary.

Oct 25, 2017
That trailer is powerful and anger inducing. I still can't believe Trump is in the White House and the racists won. It still makes me sick to my stomach.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Should be required viewing in every social studies class in American public schools.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Watched it last year, and yeah. I had tears in my eyes by the end of it. The final statement made left me stunned, because it was a brutally honest condemnation/call to action. Incredibly powerful documentary that should absolutely be required viewing

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
An amazing documentary that was somewhat unfortunate to be released in the same year as the OJ Simpson doc and miss out on the oscar as a result. Any other year and it would have walked it.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I said it on the other site and I will say it again, this should be required viewing for all.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Did a great job out of outlining how the deck has been stacked against blacks in America from the start, even post-slavery. I wasn't aware of the disproportionate sentencing for crack cocaine, disturbing shit.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised this thread is so small. Just watched this tonight and it really opened my eyes even more. Amazing documentary. It's being promoted more with all that's going on, and should be required viewing for everyone.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
This film is great as a first step of shining the light on the "Slavery ended 150 years ago and they got civil rights. Why are they still complaining?" arguments that pop up. This is a well made film that is worth your time.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This film is great as a first step of shining the light on the "Slavery ended 150 years ago and they got civil rights. Why are they still complaining?" arguments that pop up. This is a well made film that is worth your time.
I really loved the last words about how people say "how could they have thought slavery was ok? I would never have let that happen" when it's still happening to this day. Powerful ending

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised this thread is so small. Just watched this tonight and it really opened my eyes even more. Amazing documentary. It's being promoted more with all that's going on, and should be required viewing for everyone.

Theres a reason the hashtag is BlackLivesMatter people care but not enough to actually do anything, speak out or even bother to remember the documentary, they need reminding that black live matter.

I watched it when it came out and it infuriated me so much, saw that it got some traction but nothing really changed
At the very least im hoping it gets some non-black people to understand that the situation we are in is systemic......its not a few bad cops and few bad fathers......the entire system is against us.

Brilliant documentary.

Off Topic.
When I went to visit my mom (In Zambia) I got her to watch this documentary, at the end shellshocked at everything she just witness shes said "This is what they are going through right now?......They should come back" I told her thats effectively letting the racists win....its akin to the Miles Morales voice actor saying "None of this would happen if all black people were like me, a house ni that doesnt cause trouble for our white massssa".

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with those who say it should be required viewing. It might be the best documentary I've ever watched.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
An amazing documentary that was somewhat unfortunate to be released in the same year as the OJ Simpson doc and miss out on the oscar as a result. Any other year and it would have walked it.

And then her follow up When They See Us came out the same year as Chernobyl and missed out on the Emmy.

The director has really unfortunate timing.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I remember hearing that there are inaccuracies in the movie, but never looked into it. I figured that was just the white fragility response blowing smoke to attempt to diminish the film's power.

I haven't seen it since release, I'll rewatch it.