• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Suing common cheaters users is a dick move. Minor or not, you don't ruin a family's life for something like that.

You IP ban them and get over it.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
In the US I believe you can't enter into a contract with a minor, so if she didn't approve him playing it, Epic can pack this up and go home.

Hopefully he never used her credit card for anything or that would be hard to argue.

Suing common cheaters users is a dick move. Minor or not, you don't ruin a family's life for something like that.

You IP ban them and get over it.

It's just an attempt to make a statement. My hunch is they announce the lawsuit, settle for nothing other than a promise of non disclosure and their message gets sent to the cheaters out there.

Clix

Banned
The comparison you're making doesn't ring true because the times were different. When I was a kid, I wasn't put in a safety seat in the car (it wasn't law yet). When my parents were kids, child car seats weren't even made for the purpose of safety. Obviously things are quite different today. So we can't accurately compare the care or judgement of todays parents vs. their parents or grandparents in this regard, can we? We can only look at parents ideals within the context of their time. Having a kid today means that a parent should be aware of certain things that their parents didn't have to worry about at all. One of those things being the internet/being online. This includes gaming online and the use of social websites and applications.

Now there are a myriad of factors that could play into this mother's approach and decisions. As such, it's not fair to armchair judge her. However I don't buy the logic that she would have thought nothing of him being online or what he was doing. Every parent in the last 20~ years has been made aware of dangers, inappropriate content, and more recently the ability of kids to hurt others (cyber-bullying) online. Maybe she trusts her son. Maybe she's a single mother who works too much to be able to watch closely. Maybe a dozen things. But the excuse that she would think online anything was completely innocuous just doesn't seem likely.

Okay, you can't be that much older than me with saying no safety seats in cars

But back to what you were saying, times are different but more things change things stay the same as they say, and I believe that to be true.

I don't condone what he did, but of course it is unfair to the parents. And he's 14. Even to this day your parent finds out your cheating or making a mid to cheat at a game, they won't bat an eyelash. Most people wouldn't because as I said, it's about context. The examination example I posted.

Everyone knows about the negative side to the internet, but at a certain point, especially when someone is 14. My daughter is eight, so I am vigilant with her online access and set parental controls. But at some point, I will loosen the reigns and unless I see warning signs or she gives me reason to not trust her, I'm not going to monitoring her.

Our parents had different things to worry about, yes, but at a certain point for many of us they loosened their vigilance greatly. Every generation says times are different, but they're really not, just always different outlets and ways of producing itself.

My point is that too many people are quick to judge the parents and give parenting advice on how she dropped the ball, and well, I don't agree with that. I mean yes maybe she is a horrible mother. But no one knows that. Maybe she is a great mother. Nobody knows that.

At the end of a day, a great parent can still have a child make shitty decisions. Like I said, I had fantastic parents, yet I admit I did some shitty decisions, and some with them not knowing about it.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like understanding that he is a cheater is important to understand all the following complaints...

I'm not sure what your point is? I specifically mentioned there was nothing notable about it other than my own amusement. I can't find it funny or something? I also laughed at their usage of "Nobody likes a cheater." and the fact that they mis-numbered the claims. I hope that isn't a problem

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Has the OP updated the thread yet? Are people still coming in thinking the poor innocent kid is in this situation because Epic wants to make an example out of him?

The parent should be taking steps to cooperate with Epic. Allowing the kid to make yet another bad video doesn't give me hope that she may try to do this.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
That, too is an assumption based on predetermined outcomes.
Not really. He has released a video admitting he did everything he is being accused of after the lawsuit and his Mom's letter. You really wouldn't consider it being a good parent to maybe restrict his internet usage at that point. I am pretty sure my parents would have kept me from doing things if I had pending litigation.

Nov 15, 2017
Not really. He has released a video admitting he did everything he is being accused of after the lawsuit and his Mom's letter. You really wouldn't consider it being a good parent to maybe restrict his internet usage at that point. I am pretty sure my parents would have kept me from doing things if I had pending litigation.

Perhaps his mother isn't as computer literate. Perhaps you can't stop people from doing what they're bound to do. There's a million and a half reasons why he may have been able to do that, and someone who is already known for making unsound decisions isn't expected to start making sound decisions on the turn of a dime, especially when they're still in "science has proven that my brain can't process logical consequences correctly" mode.

I have a question: are you a parent?

Nov 15, 2017
"employee"

well, looks like people are suing minors that are working for a company paying minors that technically can't work, since 15 is usually the minimum age for minimum wage, last I checked

I reserve the right to be dead wrong on that, doe

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps his mother isn't as computer literate. Perhaps you can't stop people from doing what they're bound to do. There's a million and a half reasons why he may have been able to do that, and someone who is already known for making unsound decisions isn't expected to start making sound decisions on the turn of a dime, especially when they're still in "science has proven that my brain can't process logical consequences correctly" mode.

I have a question: are you a parent?
No I am not a parent but I was a child who did stupid things as well and my parents took steps to stop me from continuing the activity if it warranted it. In the event of me committing a cyber crime I am pretty sure my parents would have confiscated my computer while the trial was still pending at the very least. Hand waving away that you can't stop a 14 year old is ignoring the nature of this crime involving the internet and computer his parents are providing to him which they could take from him.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Should cheating in some game ruin a families life? No.

Did the kid do wrong? Yes. Does cheating hurt profits? Hard to prove but I would say yes, especially in huge player games with one winner like Fortnite.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Okay so you guys are conflating entirely different lawsuits. The addicted cheats people have nothing to do with this kid

The two defendants referenced there are Charles Vraspir and Brandon Broom
You're mistaken. The original Kotaku article which the mod quoted doesn't name names but the followup Kotaku article does in fact confirm one of the two defendants is 14 years old.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're mistaken. The original Kotaku article which the mod quoted doesn't name names but the followup Kotaku article does in fact confirm one of the two defendants is 14 years old.

Kotaku is wrong then, not me. This kid was not even sued until 2 weeks after that article was written

Charles Vraspir and Brandon Broom were sued on 10/10 for being moderators and support staff for AddictedCheats

Caleb Rogers was sued on 10/23 in response to his DMCA counterclaim filed on 10/17. The article they're citing was written on 10/12.

They have nothing to do with each other

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017
No I am not a parent but I was a child who did stupid things as well and my parents took steps to stop me from continuing the activity if it warranted it. In the event of me committing a cyber crime I am pretty sure my parents would have confiscated my computer while the trial was still pending at the very least. Hand waving away that you can't stop a 14 year old is ignoring the nature of this crime involving the internet and computer his parents are providing to him which they could take from him.
Could he have used a cell phone?

Could he have used his friend's cell phone or computer?

A tablet?

His mom's Kindle Fire?

I mean, come on. The only thing being handwaved is the fact that no parent can truly control their child once they hit the age of self-actualization.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Kotaku is wrong then, not me. This kid was not even sued until 2 weeks after that article was written

Charles Vraspir and Brandon Broom were sued on 10/10 for being moderators and support staff for AddictedCheats

Caleb Rogers was sued on 10/23 in response to his DMCA counterclaim

They have nothing to do with each other

So I found a corroborating source from torrentfreaks of all places.

https://torrentfreak.com/epic-sues-fortnite-cheaters-for-copyright-infringement-171012/

They even have copies of the civil claims uploaded. This was some shoddy reporting on Kotaku's part especially by their editors who should've sussed out the unrelated trials.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

A tablet?

His mom's Kindle Fire?

I mean, come on. The only thing being handwaved is the fact that no parent can truly control their child once they hit the age of self-actualization.
The video was made while he was playing GTAV so no pretty sure it was on his PC. I am pretty sure I would not be hanging out with friends if I had just opened my parents up to a lawsuit.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

A tablet?

His mom's Kindle Fire?

A kid in my family got in trouble over the weekend. No phone, internet, computer, tablet, or games. It was easy to make sure the person had no access to the things. The items were taken (controllers, password changed, router blocked the devices or put their bandwidth to 1kbps, and if the kid was spotted trying to access it they would extend their punishment. Parent's are responsible for what their kid can or can't do, and they shouldn't throw their hands up in a, "what are you going to do, they are too much for me, they out smart me at every corner. Let them do what they want, don't blame me."