• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
If she never gave consent then why is he playing? She's arguing her poor parenting lol

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the matter, as TorrentFreak point out, that you can't actually sue a minor directly, raising the possibility that Epic didn't even know the full identity of the accused before going ahead with the case.
What "possibility"? I'd think it was pretty obvious.
I mean, the kids a little shit, I'll say that much. Unreal is stopping over the line here, I feel.

Oct 25, 2017
I need to read up more on this but going by the OP, this seems like an incredibly poor idea by Epic. Even if the kid wasn't a minor.

JDdelphin

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if this is in fact the action referenced by the second article, then this kid was not "just" cheating.

Yeah

According to the complaints, both defendants seem to offer technical support for AddictedCheats.com and, with cheats the site provides, monitor streams and intentionally prevent streamers from winning. This practice, which is known as "stream sniping," has been a semi-frequent and much-derided fad among the PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds community—a game that Fortnite's new battle royale mode expressly took some cues from. While Battlegrounds explicitly forbids cheating and stream-sniping in its rules of conduct, Fortnite'sonly explicitly forbids cheating. One defendant had been banned from playing Fortnite nine times. In response, he allegedly registered several other accounts with different names to continue playing Fortnite and stream-sniping. According to the complaint, when asked why he stream-snipes, the defendant said, "Because its [sic] fun to rage and see streamers cry about how loaded they are and then get them stomped anyways."

When Epic Games altered Fortnite's code to prevent further cheating, the second defendant allegedly found a work-around with, adding, "Now method is exposed . . . Epic Eat my ass." Over Discord chat, both defendants declined to comment. Over Addicted Cheats' Discord channel, an affiliate said that they're not offering refunds to Fortnitecheaters who purchased their services.

Doesn't sound like a case of an innocent wee babby.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
They clearly didn't know the kid's age or Epic has an incompetent legal team. Actually, that seems to be the case no matter how you slice it. This seems like a slam dunk for the mother's lawyer(s).

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You people are aware Epic probably had no idea the age of the users they were suing when they started, right?

I would imagine Epic's legal team is of not-inconsiderable size, expense, and experience. If no one in it thought even once, "Hey, it's possible some of the players of our trendy, colorful cartoon shooter might not be of legal age", all I can say is the rest of the company should offer them up on the altar of sacrifice and not feel particularly bad about it.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Epic's legal team probably didn't know the age of the kid, which still reflects poorly on them.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I think Epic has little chance in court with this lawsuit, I'm happy to see people get some shit for screwing with people in an online game. It's a shit thing to do and I hope this mess persuades others not to do stupid shit.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
They need to go after the websites. The suppliers, not the users. BTW I obviously do not condone cheating in video games at all.
Which leads back to my previous asked question
Do we know where the cheat providers are located?

Are they US based? It's not like Epic could go after someone in Russia or China as easy...
Which, honestly, both are at fault.

The one provide the tools and the other actively use it to damage the users.

Crayons

Oct 25, 2017
Suing him is a little harsh. He should just be banned from the game and the internet for life.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This isn't going to go well for Epic.

Why the fuck would you even attempt to sue players instead of the providers of the cheats? You can prove the sellers profit off of damaging your product. You can sue them as a business instead of a person. You can avoid this exact situation of attempting to sue a minor.

Just doesn't seem smart. Has this been done before? If not, add the lack of prior litigation to the why the fuck would you do this column.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
The two being sued (including the 14-year-old) are in North Carolina. They are both affiliated with the website that sells the Fortnite aimbots (though that could be as little as belonging to the forums).

This comes up in Google when looking at naming minors in criminal or civil cases.

In general, under the First Amendment the truthful publication of the identity of a juvenile who has been accused of a serious crime cannot be punished. See Smith v. Daily Mail Publishing Co., 443 U.S. 97, 103 (1979). (Note: this case deals only with criminal sanctions, but other United States Supreme Court cases have held that accurate reports cannot give rise to civil liability, either. See Bartnicki v. Vopper, 532 U.S. 514 (2001).)

In California, the Supreme Court has held that the publication of the names of minors involved in crimes is not an invasion of privacy. See Kapellas v. Kofman, 1 Cal. 3d 20, 36-39 (1969). (Note that this case dealt with minors who were the children of a political candidate; however, the reports of recent crimes are consistently held to be newsworthy, so this is probably a distinction that makes no difference in the outcome.)If a report is based on information from a public record source, the law is even more clear. The accurate report of that information is absolutely privileged, both by statute (Civ. Code section 47) and by the First Amendment (see Gates v. Discovery Communications, Inc, 34 Cal.4th 679 (2004)).

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like the only mistake epic made was suing an individual with a mother like that! I'm guessing she is s lawyer? Either way I agree with her whole heartedley. As much as I hate cheaters, I wouldn't want anyone's life to be impacted to such an extent, doesn't feel right.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
12PdRdF.png

you see
if epic had just read the card, they'd know you can't use scapegoat for a sacrifice

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Basically, just because the mother says Epic did something illegal, does not make it true. Whether it makes Epic look bad in the public eye, well maybe. They can sue every cheater and/or cheat-selling website as far as I am concerned.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yeah releasing his name was not a good idea at all and will not help Epic with this.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
The two being sued (including the 14-year-old) are in North Carolina. They are both affiliated with the website that sells the Fortnite aimbots (though that could be as little as belonging to the forums).

This comes up in Google when looking at naming minors in criminal or civil cases.

In general, under the First Amendment the truthful publication of the identity of a juvenile who has been accused of a serious crime cannot be punished. See Smith v. Daily Mail Publishing Co., 443 U.S. 97, 103 (1979). (Note: this case deals only with criminal sanctions, but other United States Supreme Court cases have held that accurate reports cannot give rise to civil liability, either. See Bartnicki v. Vopper, 532 U.S. 514 (2001).)

In California, the Supreme Court has held that the publication of the names of minors involved in crimes is not an invasion of privacy. See Kapellas v. Kofman, 1 Cal. 3d 20, 36-39 (1969). (Note that this case dealt with minors who were the children of a political candidate; however, the reports of recent crimes are consistently held to be newsworthy, so this is probably a distinction that makes no difference in the outcome.)If a report is based on information from a public record source, the law is even more clear. The accurate report of that information is absolutely privileged, both by statute (Civ. Code section 47) and by the First Amendment (see Gates v. Discovery Communications, Inc, 34 Cal.4th 679 (2004)).

But this isn't a crime. It's a civil case. Which state law will have precedence. If Delaware says this is no bueno, it's no bueno.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A civil suit is not a serious crime.

According to 37 CFR 11.1 [Title 37 -- Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights; Chapter I -- United States Patent and Trademark Office, Department of Commerce; Subchapter A – General; Part 11 -- Representation of Others Before the United States Patent and Trademark Office; Subpart A -- General Provisions], serious crime means:

"(1) Any criminal offense classified as a felony under the laws of the United States, any state or any foreign country where the crime occurred; or

(2) Any crime a necessary element of which, as determined by the statutory or common law definition of such crime in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred, includes interference with the administration of justice, false swearing, misrepresentation, fraud, willful failure to file income tax returns, deceit, bribery, extortion, misappropriation, theft, or an attempt or a conspiracy or solicitation of another to commit a serious crime."

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not a reason to go after kids because they cheat in a game. Just ban accounts and work on your cheat detection instead. They gain nothing by taking a kid to court and the mom basically seems like she will be fighting them alright. So they will get bad press and in the case they even win they won't get money from a 14 years old kid to compensate the profits lost on a game played by millions of people.

They probably want the press, to make some parents aware of the problem. It's definitely not about the money.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
This should be ended up with only banhammer. There is no need to do this except you want to ruin yourself going after some random customer for no big reason. I bet there is not only one or two cheater.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I kinda hope Epic gets dragged through the mud for doing this. I mean, a lawsuit for cheating at a video game? Really?

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
This was reported about on other websites in October. When you read what happened, you probably won't feel so bad for the 14-year-old.

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
They probably did it just as a scare tactic to get others to think twice before using aimbots etc.

What they should work on is tightening up their anti-cheat.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow what scummy company.

No I dont condone cheating, but the way they're handling this is terrible on many accounts.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
What a fuckin mad world we are living in... I can understand they didnt knew the age , but for christ sake, are we really there? Sued for cheating in a videogame??? If they want to win a popularity contest over EA, i think they have just done it.

Deleted member 643

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't gonna get mad about Epic protecting their game and trying to stomp out cheating, especially when the defendant was seemingly profiting off the cheating website (if he was an associate of that website, whatever that means)

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
I just want the kid to be scared as shit right now. And his mom takes away his video games away. Little rat bastard!

Im saying this assuming epic loses this case.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Epic can get fucked for naming a minor. This kid is about to get rich for cheating. Great job lawyers.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's true that Epic released the name of a fourteen year old, they sound like a garbage company. Hope they're sued into the dirt.