• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
We all know that the Switch is region-free.

But, the Switch is really the most region-free console of the big three.

The hardware is exactly the same all around the world, with no differences at all. Same screen, same processor, same GPU, same power requirements. And the Switch is powered by USB, so the only thing that is different is the power adapter.

The beauty of the system is that Nintendo is now using an Universal SKU for their games. The games are the same in the USA, in EU, in Japan. They are all the same SKU, with all the supported languages included in that same SKU. The default language of the games is activated depending on your system language settings.

So, when buying games from other regions, digital or physical, you can be sure that if the game is also going to be released in your region, it will be the same game (the only difference would be the game box artwork if buying physical).

My suggestion would be: do not create multiple accounts to purchase games from different regions. Just go to https://accounts.nintendo.com/ and change the region of your account there. Once you change the region, just access the eShop on your Switch, and you will be redirected to the region's store.

Keep in mind that if you are using prepaid cards and still have some balance, you will lose it if you change regions. This is only a problem if you buy things using prepaid cards and have a balance in your account.

If you use PayPal to make your purchases in the eShop, you won't have to worry about losing your balance, because you buy the game with the exact amount of money needed.

Why would you buy the game in another region? Because sometimes they are cheaper and sometimes they are released first in other countries.

And when you buy a digital game, let's say, Super Mario Odyssey, in the Japanese eShop, it is the same Universal SKU as the one on the USA eShop, the Mexican eSHop, the South Africa eShop, etcetera.

When you change your region back, the game will appear in your purchases. You can download the game from any region, and it will be the same Universal SKU game.

You can compare the game prices here: https://savecoins.me/

There is no need to have multiple accounts on the Switch. Just change your region!

Important to note too: You can't switch regions if you have a remaining balance anymore without contacting Nintendo to remove the balance. (At least in most regions afaik.) So if possible only buy games in another region using your main account when you are using a download code or can pay the exact amount.

Last edited:

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT!

But regarding PayPal, doesn't the Japanese eShop block foreign PayPal-Accounts?

cbajd5

Oct 25, 2017
Important to note too: You can't switch regions if you have a remaining balance anymore without contacting Nintendo to remove the balance. (At least in most regions afaik.) So if possible only buy games in another region using your main account when you are using a download code or can pay the exact amount.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Wow. Didn't know that. I guess I should update the OP.

Do you mind if I add your comment to the OP?

cbajd5

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Didn't know that. I guess I should update the OP.

Do you mind if I add your comment to the OP?
Yeah, no problem. Another thing to maybe note is DLC for universal games is also universal afaik.

Also, if you switch regions you have to login to anything (other than the account website) using the account again. (Switch and mobile apps basically.) Certain apps are region locked right now (Animal Crossing Pocket Camp to Australia, Pokéland new alpha to Japan), but those apps with linked save data will keep the save data linked even if you can't login until you switch the region again.

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
Aaah, so it hasn't changed yet.
I wasn't 100% sure since when I bought Wonderboy from the jp. eShop, I had to get a 2000 Yen eShop-Card since Japan eShop refused to accept my PayPal. It's been so long since then, so I thought Nintendo changed the eShop-rules with the new Update.

Maybe add the information that it depends on the region's eShop if your PayPal-Account is accepted.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I was just reading other websites, and apparently Nintendo has been trying very hard to prevent taking advantge of other region's prices.

I think it would be a better idea to just have multiple accounts, right?

Maybe I should delete the OP.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Great info OP, thank you! I made a JP account and it was useless.
Does anyone know if you keep receiving news in other languages after you change back to your region? I remember that being a problem at launch.
Yeah. I made a JP account and now its deleted and im on my main US account. News feed still in japanese

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I was just reading other websites, and apparently Nintendo has been trying very hard to prevent taking advantge of other region's prices.

I think it would be a better idea to just have multiple accounts, right?

Maybe I should delete the OP.
I bought SMO from US eShop, switched to my JP account and I couldn't pre-load the game

But you made a new acocunt or you changed the region on your account?
Yes, made a new account

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this because I've still yet to find a way to buy from South African eShop from here in the U.S.

Tried like 9 different cards, none will go through. How are people able to do this? I need those deals!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
We had a mod edit dissuading gaming the region free exploitation in the eshop threads.

DVG

Oct 31, 2017
If I buy a game from the Japanese eShop, can I buy it's dlc from the USA eShop? And also is this just for Nintendo published games or is every game on the eShop a universal sku?

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Link? Because that's anti-consumer as fuck, and it would surprise me to see Era mods take that stance.

If corporations benefit from a global economy, consumers should too.

I really think it's more complicated than that. If large amounts of consumers in richer countries switch their region to poorer countries, the end result will be increased prices in the poorer countries. Or a return of region locks.

Regional pricing can make games affordable in parts of the world where they otherwise be out of reach for 95% of the population, while the richer countries "subsidize" most of the game's development cost.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that you should add in the OP that not all games use a universal SKU (is there a database for this?). It's true that a lot of their game do use them, but a bunch of them don't however (especially not third party titles btw): Splatoon 2 for example uses a separate one for each region and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 uses one SKU for Japan and another one for the US/PAL. Doing a little research before purchasing is always a good idea.