• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
MK (11 especially) has featured several callbacks and allusions to it's 1995 movie adaption that has been met with praise, especially the inclusion of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa reprising his role as Shang-Tsung. The 1995 MK film is also one of the most game accurate movie adaptions ever made and so it's transition from film to game is almost seamless. MK's rival series, Street Fighter, also received an even more schlocky film adaption in 1994.

With the recent praise of Capcom's RE Engine and how they have mentioned they have several titles in development with the engine, I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the next installment of Street Fighter was developed in this engine and featured a more grounded art style. After all, despite how much I personally love it, the art direction of the Street Fighter series is someone that has been criticized, mostly for the bizarre proportions of the characters. Even SFV was initially developed with a grounded artstyle in early stages of production.
3015161-ryu.jpg

sfv-early-concepts-march2016-2.jpg

With all of that in mind, would you like to see Street Fighter pay tribute to it's movie adaption? Like (as unlikely as this is) I wouldn't say no to seeing Jean-Claude Van Damme portray Guile again. And I'm honestly surprised that M.Bison doesn't have any win quotes featuring the iconic Tuesday line.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than memes there's nothing worth salvaging from Street Fighter the Movie.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I just had a thought; put Jamie Lee Curtis in SF6. Shes an outspoken fan of the series and has attended conventions cosplaying the characters. She's also talked about being a Cammy main, make her Cammy.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Getting celebrities to play cartoonish video game characters is never not a terrible idea unless their voice actually fits.

It gets worse when they start modelling characters after them.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No.
QUOTE="Spring-Loaded, post: 25385299, member: 17803"]
Just the "it was Tuesday" line, nothing else tbh
[/QUOTE]
Except this.

If Street Fighter starts looking more "grounded", I won't like it.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
dragon-ball-evolution-1013099-1280x0.png

This thread needs to be deleted, look at what abominations it could inspire being put in our fighting games

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
No.

MK doing so was awesome because the MK movies were actually pretty fucking awesome action movies. MK1 in particular.

The Street Fighter movies, by contrast, were terrible and their reasons for being referenced are entirely for the memes. Not a great reason to spend dev resources on likenesses and scripting to try to mimic anything in those movies.

That said, I would not mind a Raúl Juliá skin or movie outfit and a VanDamme skin.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Nah the movie is pretty bad. The MK movie works for these callbacks because people actually enjoyed it and they got some great performances outta the main cast. I'm pretty sure they made Kano australian because the actor was so well received. What does the SF movie have other than Raul Julia? Not even JCVD was that noteworthy tbh.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
SFxT actually had a lot of fun referencing the cartoon and live action film, but most of these lines went exclusively to Bison. Since you can't exactly get Raul back for a premium skin, the only other marketable options would be JCVD Guile or Kylie Minogue Cammy

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
SFV could've had the fight money concept go down smoother if they called it bison dollars, there would also be an in game reason for their villainous reduction with arcade edition, like the queen of England escaped ransom by then so capcoms hands were tied by a lesser exchange rate

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it means Captain Sawada and the Shadaloo grunts finally get implemented into the official canon, I'm all for it.