• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thomasorus

Oct 26, 2017
Full statement here : http://www.arjel.fr/IMG/pdf/20180917CPEN.pdf

Captures (sorry, scanned PDF) :

HTpiGvB.png

nIbZuOu.png

Countries :

• Latvia
  • Czeh Republic
  • Isle of man
  • France
  • Malta
  • Jersey
  • Gibraltar
  • Ireland
  • Portugal
  • Norway
  • Netherlands
  • UK
  • Poland
  • Austria
  • And Washington State
Source : Arjel (french agency)

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other pubs have to be pissed at EA for peeing in the drinking water huh?

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll miss lootboxes when they are gone, they were the only things giving me excitement in the shallow games that they were wrapped in.

(Lootbox defender, 2016-2018)

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Let's hope TCGs/CCGs aren't too badly affected, but if they are it could lead to more LCGs.

Regardless, this is a net positive.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Another day, another step towards ending gambling practices in video games

Don't worry though, I'm sure someone will quote an ERA post on how TGC are the same and this will all blow over

Feb 24, 2018
Seeing the Netherlands there gives me the impression that at the very least, games with lootboxes that you can "cash out" will be hit hard at least.

Feb 24, 2018
Let's hope TCGs/CCGs aren't too badly affected, but if they are it could lead to more LCGs.

Regardless, this is a net positive.
Honestly, given how massively popular the second hand market is for cards because it's just easier to get the cards you want that way, I think many would be happy with less randomness and could help take down many of the worse scalpers, a plus for the card companies like Wizard of the Coast and Konami.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
To be fair, this won't be the end of lootboxes or gambling shenanigans, it will just means some games will go 18 plus only and/or publishers will get a gambling licence and instead of making obscene amounts of money from lootboxes they'll only make a huge amount of money from lootboxes

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Glad to see people finally looking at this.

At the very least I hope we'll stop seeing the "not technically gambling and therefore completely fine" spiel.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Honestly, given how massively popular the second hand market is for cards because it's just easier to get the cards you want that way, I think many would be happy with less randomness and could help take down many of the worse scalpers, a plus for the card companies like Wizard of the Coast and Konami.

You're gonna see companies sowly adopted the living and unique card game models going forward. Both would cripple the second hand card market but would enable a wider variety of players access to competitive level decks.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Surprising to see Malta on that list, as it is Europe's online gambling heaven.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I find it amusing that the whole 'think of the children' issue was dismissed by a lot of lootbox defenders, only to have it cited in this statement

I guess it turns out encouraging children to gamble is probably a bad thing and maybe not just "telling people what they can and can't do"

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Either take gambling out of gaming or make gaming with lootboxes 18+ only like cigarettes and slot machines.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Good. Happy to see the UK here too. There are other business models to explore and while that might piss off some people who are happy to play some games from absolutely free it's in everyone's best interests. Time to end the license to print money off of vulnerable people and kids with access to parents credit cards, whether it is by consent or even worse, not by consent.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The lesson learned here is don't ever piss off Star Wars fanboys. ;)

I kid. I kid. Regulating lootboxes is a fucking good thing. More of this please.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
If you use gambling psychology on children you are scum.

Glad to see things picking up .

Lol. Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Guernsey are all part of the UK.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever people's opinion of Jim Sterling, he's been remarkably consistent and salient in his criticism of the lootbox scandal/saga since the very beginning and helped me a lot in understanding how horrendous lootboxes truly are. I've personally avoided any game that has had them and I'm glad it looks like we might see the end of them before they've infected even more potentially good games.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good, hopefully this spreads to various other countries and EA gets fucked for having the most blatant and anti-consumer application of this practice.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Happy to see the UK here too. There are other business models to explore and while that might piss off some people who are happy to play some games from absolutely free it's in everyone's best interests. Time to end the license to print money off of vulnerable people and kids with access to parents credit cards, whether it is by consent or even worse, not by consent.
Kids are always gonna get access to their parent's cards as long as that is what is only required to make any purchase. That's never going to stop until banks implement tighter security.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Yes the UK is on there, which is one of if not THE biggest market for Fifa, we need to take a minute and thank EA for bringing lootboxes to light if not for them we'd never see this move so fast.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Just start copying the Belgian law.
There is no belgian law against it at the moment. They are investigating, who knows the outcome. It could as well lead to absolutely nothing against it.

Also quite funny many people blame Electronic Arts, while at the same time supporting this publisher by buying their games. You want EA to really understand, you don't buy any EA game. Any.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Those scummy companies will now have to put a storefront and sell you these crap directly instead of selling you a chance to get something.