• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
https://nextshark.com/asian-america...xvDtAvfCDfpoBnyhIGJB4S2512xpmjXtrLSpst2JVQ7fg

3. Also in 1854, People v. Hall reversed the murder conviction against George W. Hall because all three witnesses were Chinese and ultimately established that Chinese Americans or Chinese immigrants could not legally testify against white Americans in court.
4. In 1858, the San Francisco Evening Bulletin published an editorial that stated, "If we are compelled to have Negroes and Chinamen among us, it is better, of course, that they should be educated. But teach them separately from our Caucasian blood pure. We want no mongrel race of moral and mental hybrids to people the mountains and valleys of California." In 1859, the Chinese were officially excluded from San Francisco public schools.
11. The Expatriation Act of 1907 declared that American women who married non-citizens or immigrants would lose their citizenship. To gain citizenship, she would have to wait until her husband became naturalized and they would be allowed to go through the naturalization process together. None of these rules applied to American men seeking foreign wives.
And many more gems!

I posted this on Facebook while ERA was down, since browsing the ol' GAF vs ERA thread that always seems to appear at the old place wasn't quite scratching that itch.

Anyway, I didn't know a lot of this, since they didn't teach is any of this in school.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
3. Also in 1854, People v. Hall reversed the murder conviction against George W. Hall because all three witnesses were Chinese and ultimately established that Chinese Americans or Chinese immigrants could not legally testify against white Americans in court.

I didn't know about this, but I'm actually totally unsurprised they acquitted a white man for murdering an Asian man because the people who witnessed it were considered subhuman compared to white people.

9. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake destroyed all municipal records, incuding the immigration records. This meant Chinese immigrants were finally able to claim citizenship and even bring their children to America. Prior to the Earthquake, white leaders were trying to push out Chinese immigrants, believing them to be filthy and dangerous economic threats so this proved to be a massive turning point for Asian American immigrants.

I remember reading about this. It actually gave a lot of undocumented Chinese immigrants citizenship because some citizens would claim that certain people were children or family members that were legally here.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about this. It actually gave a lot of undocumented Chinese immigrants citizenship because some citizens would claim that certain people were children or family members that were legally here.
I didn't know about this. The rest of the list is not really surprising.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, not that shocking.

What would be shocking is if Americans of Asian ancestry were treated like, well, human beings.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
8. Following an outbreak of the bubonic plague in Honolulu in 1896, officials perpetuated stereotypes about the dirtiness of Chinese immigrants and turned to extreme measures. The homes of Chinese residents in Honolulu were sprayed with carbolic acid, the residents were forced to shower at public stations and their belongings were thrown out. Eventually they resorted to burning down Chinatown, leaving eight thousand people displaced. In 1900, a similar bubonic plague scare swept through San Francisco at a time when anti- Chinese sentiment was rampant. As a result, Chinatown was quarantined and health officials ran house inspections against the wishes of the residents.
holy fucking shit

13. Bhagat Singh Thind immigrated to the U.S. from Punjab in 1913 and worked in a lumber mill to pay off his tuition at UC Berkeley. He later enlisted in the U.S. army in 1917 when the U.S. was entering World War I and was honorably discharged in 1918. In 1920, he applied for naturalization and the case was taken all the way to the Supreme Court. U.S. v. Bhagat Singh Thind declared that Asian Indians were ineligible to become naturalized citizens and as a result many Indian immigrants who obtained naturalization prior to this case were stripped of their citizenship.
Absolutely ridiculous

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, look deep enough into any country's history and you'll find despicable acts. Being British our history is rife with awful acts. We've moved on a lot since those acts, but there's a long way to go. Hopefully we continue to progress past acts of hatred and towards unity and understanding. The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice, and all that.

I do agree that this sort of behaviour shouldn't be swept under the carpet. If you want to be proud of your country's achievements then you should be prepared to be ashamed of its mistakes.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. Crazy how much better off they are now compared to other minorites on the states. What happened there?
This is a gross misconception based on the model minority stereotype. South East Asians have similar outcomes to the black community, but you never hear about that. The misguided appearance of Asians "overcoming" racist structures stems from the nature of immigration from the past 30-40 years of students and educated professionals staying on sponsored visas and staying. They still make less than their peers and hit the glass ceiling. We aren't shot on the streets like black men, but we still get jammed up by cops and beat for being Asian.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, people tend to have benevolent racist views towards generic "Asians" but identify as a specific group or have a darker skin color and all that nasty shit still comes out.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a gross misconception based on the model minority stereotype. South East Asians have similar outcomes to the black community, but you never hear about that. The misguided appearance of Asians "overcoming" racist structures stems from the nature of immigration from the past 30-40 years of students and educated professionals staying on sponsored visas and staying. They still make less than their peers and hit the glass ceiling. We aren't shot on the streets like black men, but we still get jammed up by cops and beat for being Asian.
It's different, not better.
Better was maybe not the best word. But I do wonder what makes it different. The reason treated differently.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of
Better was maybe not the best word. But I do wonder what makes it different. The reason treated differently.
There are a lot of factors that play into it. One is that after the end of some exclusionist immigration policy, those who came over afterward were already some of their countries' best and brightest. They were, unsurprisingly, quit successful here, which played into white people perpetuating the model minority myth.

Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for posting this article, I had no fucking clue any of this ever happened (unsurprisingly.)

And that's kind of fucking scary. Just how many racist atrocities are being swept under the rug? Just how much history about America's racism is being ignored?

Jesus

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The current state of the world seems less surprisingly when you realize that events like these didn't happen that long ago, relatively speaking.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The only shocking thing is how the civil rights era ever could become a thing to make these things harder to occur again as times goes on.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. Crazy how much better off they are now compared to other minorites on the states. What happened there?

There are a lot of

There are a lot of factors that play into it. One is that after the end of some exclusionist immigration policy, those who came over afterward were already some of their countries' best and brightest. They were, unsurprisingly, quit successful here, which played into white people perpetuating the model minority myth.

I wanted to add that the Model Minority myth was a decades long snowball effect, before Immigration opened up in the 70s. "The Blacks" were getting too uppity in the 1940s and the Civil Rights movement was gaining traction, so the powers that be wanted to elevate Asians in order to serve as a foil for Blacks, perpetuating the narrative of Blacks being responsible for their own failures (i.e. "if the Asians can make it, why can't you Blacks? All y'all do is complain and never improve").

So negative stories of Asians were suppressed in the news and replaced with more positive stories. This would go on for more than two decades and by the time immigration opened up with the influx of successful, rich, and educated Asians from overseas, the model minority thing became a self-fulfilling prophecy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...on-asian-americans-and-started-praising-them/

Its a little ridiculous when you think about it but White people literally had to be manipulated in order to be more "accepting" of Asian people.

Thank you for posting this article, I had no fucking clue any of this ever happened (unsurprisingly.)

And that's kind of fucking scary. Just how many racist atrocities are being swept under the rug? Just how much history about America's racism is being ignored?

Jesus

Yeah, it's a little frightening. Like there's probably plenty of mass graves throughout the country, filled with non-Whites that no one will ever know about. To add, on top of all these racial massacres that have been swept under the rug look at the complete erasure of sexual violence. If mobs are out there mutilating, shooting, pummeling, and lynching people to death they were certainly raping the women too.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to add that the Model Minority myth was a decades long snowball effect, before Immigration opened up in the 70s. "The Blacks" were getting too uppity in the 1940s and the Civil Rights movement was gaining traction, so the powers that be wanted to elevate Asians in order to serve as a foil for Blacks, perpetuating the narrative of Blacks being responsible for their own failures (i.e. "if the Asians can make it, why can't you Blacks? All y'all do is complain and never improve").

So negative stories of Asians were suppressed in the news and replaced with more positive stories. This would go on for more than two decades and by the time immigration opened up with the influx of successful, rich, and educated Asians from overseas, the model minority thing became a self-fulfilling prophecy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...on-asian-americans-and-started-praising-them/

Its a little ridiculous when you think about it but White people literally had to be manipulated by in order to be more "accepting" of Asian people.

Yeah, it's a little frightening. Like there's probably plenty of mass graves throughout the country, filled with non-Whites that no one will ever know about. To add, on top of all these racial massacres that have been swept under the rug look at the complete erasure of sexual violence. If mobs are out there mutilating, shooting, pummeling, and lynching people to death they were certainly raping the women too.
Wow, crazy and unsurprisingly American

Dec 31, 2017
I'm lucky to be a minority in this current age, because at least there is a relative semblance of justice. Back when these atrocities occurred there was no recourse, it was the status quo. Scary.