• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
One of my favorite childhood strategy games got patched today, first time since it got steam workshop support sometime in 2017. Here is the video about it below but the big thing I'm excited about was that the game had a faction limit of around 16-21 (the base game just had rebels and empire, with the expansion pack adding the criminal syndicate Black Sun) so big mods like the Imperial Civil War mod or the Clone Wars Era Fall of the Republic mod had to make cuts for the factions and other features such as story events in the galactic conquest mode. Now a lot of those limits are gone! I think it's really cool that the game still gets support. I hope we get an EaW2 someday. Here is the video explaining the patch.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh man I used to mod this back in the day, did modeling for one of the clone wars mods (not the biggest one), brings back memories

OP
OP
Cameron122

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Can you explain exactly what the patch adds? I can't watch the video. Is it just increasing the faction limit?

sure!

1. factions as I mentioned
2. Fixed this problem where certain types of weapons "attached" to units had 100% accuracy (big units in EaW has a subsystem weapon feature, those weapons accuracy was working properly)
3. Factions that are not from the base game can now easily have story events
4. A.I can now detect special buildings added by mods
5. Fightercraft Hero units like Slave One now work properly again from before the expansion
6. Modders can add even more galactic map buildings without special scripts.

What are the best mods for someone who never played this before?

for Clone Wars: Fall of the Republic (just updated on New Years Eve)
for the Galactic Civil War: Awakening of the Rebellion
for the Legends Imperial Civil War: Thrawn's Revenge (updated last night!)

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They should make a sequel to this. I played the hell out of this when I was younger.

OP
OP
Cameron122

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
What are the best mods for someone who never played this before?
I'd play the vanilla game first to get used to it, then have a look on the workshop for any of the total conversions that interest you. Republic at War is pretty great.

yea I agree people should start with the regular galactic campaign. I booted up Thrawn's Revenge today after years of not playing this game and I got a little overwhelmed. Thrawn's Revenge and Fall of the Republic add a lot of Paradox style grand strategy elements.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
When I rediscovered this game a few years ago, I was blown away by the modding community still being active and just how active it is today. Glad to see something like this come down!

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yea I agree people should start with the regular galactic campaign. I booted up Thrawn's Revenge today after years of not playing this game and I got a little overwhelmed. Thrawn's Revenge and Fall of the Republic add a lot of Paradox style grand strategy elements.
You've got me interested at the Paradox part. Can you expand on that?

OP
OP
Cameron122

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
When I rediscovered this game a few years ago, I was blown away by the modding community still being active and just how active it is today. Glad to see something like this come down!

I'm surprised no one else tried the space/ground rts with lite 4X elements after this game. It's really the only game of its kind so I think that has a little bit to do with it.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Haven't played in years, but the other factions and Clone Wars stuff that has been modded in was great. Closest thing to a modern Star Wars RTS I think we'll get though is the Star Wars mod for Men of War. It also has both Galactic Cival War and Clone Wars.

Last edited:

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my, this is one of my favorite Star Wars games. Maybe I should check out one of those Clone Wars mods.

I love the multiple layers of strategy in this game, especially the space combat.

OP
OP
Cameron122

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
You've got me interested at the Paradox part. Can you expand on that?
Sure! From what I have played TR and Fall of the Republic adds a government screen depending on the kind of faction you're playing as, and more intense map modes. I think resources is more in depth now but I'm not positive. Also the technology tree is replaced with an Era based event system. A lot of story events like the history events in paradox games.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I love the multiple layers of strategy in this game, especially the space combat.

The space combat rocked, ground was kinda meh but subsystem targeting in space combat was amazing. Fond memories of targeting the engines on Star Destroyers then hiding in their blind spot behind them to finish them off.

OP
OP
Cameron122

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
The space combat rocked, ground was kinda meh but subsystem targeting in space combat was amazing. Fond memories of targeting the engines on Star Destroyers then hiding in their blind spot behind them to finish them off.

my dream game is basically the EaW gameplay loop with full 3D space combat, good ground combat, and an in depth political system

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Thank you for this, I just discovered the amazing Fall of the Republic!

Looks amazing!

OP
OP
Cameron122

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
OP do those mods increase unit limit? because the base game had very small battles.
any way to increase that?

I wasn't sure so I did some googling looks like there are mods and sub mods that increase the limit but the game still is 32bit/not multithreaded so it's looking like there are still limits before it crashes.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I wasn't sure so I did some googling looks like there are mods and sub mods that increase the limit but the game still is 32bit/not multithreaded so it's looking like there are still limits before it crashes.
i guess i'll play the mods as currently are and when i'm broed i'll try to up the unit limit.

I know it is not the same but i'd really enjoy if total war ever made their own star wars versions. I think thye could copy this game and add the total war scale for some massive battles. SPecially if they use the trilogy excuse to make each era very significant.
i'm obviously assuming that there won't ever be an empire at war 2 because i don't think there is enough popularity in the RTS genre to make the game a viable investment. WOuld love to be wrong.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Damn, I only have the GOG version of EaW and looks like it's much easier to just use the Steam version. If only I had known and gotten the Steam version while the Christmas sale was ongoing...

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'm surprised no one else tried the space/ground rts with lite 4X elements after this game. It's really the only game of its kind so I think that has a little bit to do with it.
Imperium Galactica did it first, but it's definitely a niche within a niche.

Though Imperium Galactica was kind of the other way around, 4X with lite RTS.

OP
OP
Cameron122

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Imperium Galactica did it first, but it's definitely a niche within a niche.

Though Imperium Galactica was kind of the other way around, 4X with lite RTS.

Totally forgot about that game!! I was just playing Nexus the Jupiter Incident I heard its combat system was supposed to be IG3 that would have been incredible